The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Leopard!

antaholics

703 posts in this topic

"Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8" was the title. i'll try it now with kaly 10.5.1 by doing exactly what is written here, as already said i'm quite new here and without even knowing which updates/packages are included, listed, available or neccessary I think I should go that way

edit:

vista bootloader -> vista -> vista boots

vista bootloader -> osx -> darwin loader -> countdown reaches 0 -> back to vista bootloader

vista bootloader -> osx -> darwin loader -> vista -> back to vista bootloader

vista bootloader -> osx -> darwin loader -> osx -> osx boots

same prob as b4, i'll try now to set osx part. active again

Guest undefined

I think you forgot to remove OS X from Vista bootloader in EasyBCD. Then after setting OS X partition active, you should get Darwin bootloader at startup, which redirects directly to Vista, or directly to Mac.

if i do so i get a "hfs+ partition error" without possibility to select anything, i have to put in the vista dvd and active vista partition back.

if i active then the osx partition and click on fix hfs+ partition error in easybcd it gives me a "hfs+ partition error" anyway.

if i active the vista part again, add osx in easybcd and repair the hfs+ part error the vista loader shows me the 2 entries correctly, i get to vista if i select it, but if i select osx it gives me a "chain booting error"

and i have to install it again to "work" (osx entry in vista loader =darwin loader, not directly osx) as before

Hi, I own an Asus F3SR and is quite interested in os x. I'm looking forward to try it on my notebook but before that may I know what are the things that may be missing if i install osx86 in it?

I read in the osx86 wiki that the notebook will only have 'external display', and after going through 14 pages I had a vague impression that it might not be a problem actually, but again I'm not sure.

Sorry for my limited knowledge, I have just arrived at this world. ;)

Thanks.

@ all,

I took a break from the OSX86 scene.... been using Vista x64 for playing a few games (plus wireless works OOTB), and personally I like how it looks better =P (among other things, I NEED webcam for MSN without using 512MB to run a XP Virtual machine, and MS Office that doesn't lag)

Another reason was, for some reason time machine refused to do backups for me. =/ I hope I can fix it if I decide to go back to OS X.

Anyways, I hope you guys are doing well =P

if i do so i get a "hfs+ partition error" without possibility to select anything, i have to put in the vista dvd and active vista partition back.

if i active then the osx partition and click on fix hfs+ partition error in easybcd it gives me a "hfs+ partition error" anyway.

if i active the vista part again, add osx in easybcd and repair the hfs+ part error the vista loader shows me the 2 entries correctly, i get to vista if i select it, but if i select osx it gives me a "chain booting error"

and i have to install it again to "work" (osx entry in vista loader =darwin loader, not directly osx) as before

I vaguely remember getting that problem. Have you tried repairing using fdisk? I believe there was another method with dd to re-install the Darwin bootloader... link here (post #2):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=57650

Hope that helps!

Ant

Guest undefined

There you go - audio kexts attached. Installation process is in tutorial.

ant - I hope your post was inspired my by e-mail, otherwise, I had no idea you were alive, that's why I wrote to you :D

Archive.zip

I vaguely remember getting that problem. Have you tried repairing using fdisk? I believe there was another method with dd to re-install the Darwin bootloader... link here (post #2):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=57650

Hope that helps!

Ant

I deleted the whole hdd, created 2 new partitions and reinstalled vista, this time on the first partition - half an hour before your post :)

Thank You anyway, that was the first solution that really seemed to made sense, in 3 different boards! I'm sorry i shed hope too soon :P

At least it works now with osx part. active :)

just out of curiosity: is there a way to enter directly in osx after selecting it in the vista bootloader, deleting the vista entry in the darwin bootloader while keeping it in the vista bootloader or something like that?

There you go - audio kexts attached. Installation process is in tutorial.

ant - I hope your post was inspired my by e-mail, otherwise, I had no idea you were alive, that's why I wrote to you :P

thanks ! ;)

@undefined:

actually, i just decided to pop in and check on how things are going... i got your email afterwards =P

thanks for the email though

@3tc:

Congratz on getting your installation to work! too bad my post wasn't on time :D

AFAIK, Darwin bootloader will ALWAYS select the active partition as default, and the source code isn't released so there doesn't seem to be a way to change that. in other words, if you want darwin to boot OS X by default, OS X partition has to be active.

Is your F3SR equipped with ATI-M X2400 HM card? Then I'm afraid It's true.

Yeah it's ATI HD2400. Is there really no way to get around it except getting a screen?

Is there anything else I need to watch out during/after installing OSX? Thanks...

hello all. I've been reading this thread and I've been trying to install the kallway 10.5.2 onto my asus F3Sa laptop for a week now.

I currently have three partitions. the First primary partition has windows XP on it. the second partition I have formated into a primary fat32 via partition magic. The third partition is just storage.

I boot from the kallway DVD. It all loads fine. I get to the point where i click Disk utilities> and I select the partition i wish to format into the MAC journaled format. I select it from the pull down menu and i Hit erase. it seems to work and format the partition. however when i exit the disk utility and i go to the section where it asks me to select the drive to install macOSX onto it... the drive does not show. only the first partition with XP and the storage drive appear. if anyone has a solution please let me know.

I have a

250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive in the laptop.

I'm about to install it, but there is a thing about modded bios. Do I really need it?

If yes, I've seen there is a bios F3JcAS306 but I dont know if it fits my Asus F3jc as it is AP103, and on asus site there isn't anything about mine AP103. There are only these ones - 304as, as305, as306, 307as

Does any of you know anything about it? Did anybody update his F3jc?

Thanks

I have an Asus F3SV laptop. Run XP, Vista, Linux. Comp sci student but not much time to experiment unfortunately since my laptop is used for my studies. I just can't have it offline in an experimental phase for months on end. 2 days max.

Anyway, spent a few days looking into getting OS X on this laptop. The info out there is very flaky and this thread was a great idea for consolidating the info. Kind of happy to have found the thread but also kind of depressed. Is it really this hard to get it working on the ASUS F3SV? You have to flash the frekkin BIOS to a modded one? Why? I've not seen this in other guides...

To me, being new to this MAC OS X subject and new to the MAC OS, considering the mish mash of info out there, this guide seems a little out of date and confusing tbh. That's not a crack just my two cents. Not a bad quide at all but I think we can improve it. I'm sure there are many experts out there, the F3SV is not generally bought by the innocent ;)

Personally, I find it is important to explain why you are doing something, not just list "a thing to do", because that info just may not make sense or may clash with other info out there. There should be an explanation as to the rationale behind each decision. This is vital for the thread to have longevity. Your decisions may make sense to people at the top of the game at the time you post your "steps" but give it a few months and without a rationale those steps are going to be very confusing to a new member reading the instructions. Also, this would allow people to find areas of the main post that need to be updated easily because although they may not recognize the impications of the steps on their own...they prob would recognize an autdated rationale.

I find that these guides spend 2/3 of the effort in detailing how to partition a hdd..... and then skimp on the hard & important stuff!

Instead, they should spend more time on:

-what specific ISO works best with the F3SV line;

-what EXACT fixes/drives need to be used(we have identical hardware, this should be EXACT);

-what exact parameters/modifications need to be done to the system while installing and after to get an optimal system; Finally, these things need to be kept up to date in the first post.

Also, there is no up to date record kept of what works and what does not! Most guides are like this. This one seems much better than others I have seen....so hats off to the guy that started the thread but if this is going to be the official F3SV thread lets keep it up to date.

Hope some of you can find the time to clear up a few things.

END OF JUNE 2008 QUESTIONS (until the guide is updated):

I see there are ISO ver10.5.3/4... Many things have changed I think. These are things that are not clear to me.

(1) Is a modified BIOS NECESSARY for the F3sv to get both cores working??

Does the Asus 208 BIOS not suffice?

If a modded BIOS is not required, please provide detailed instructions as to:

- what ISO to use, and what boot options, and what SPECIFIC files/fixes need to be installed.

- your F3SV model and your BIOS ver.

If you do need a modified BIOS, were do you get the best one for the F3SV? Describe all that needs to be elaborated on.

(2) What is the best ISO to use? This is extremely confusing. This is vital info. I see now there are ISO that emulate the Apple BIOS and you can download updates and stuff. This is a good example that makes me wonder about the need to mod the F3SV BIOS. We need a one paragraph explanation so people know what works best on the F3sv and WHY! When you choose a particular ISO give an explanation as to why you chose it and why certain fixes will need to be used or not used. Short and to the point. Don't just have people blindly installing things. If you explain all this at the start, a lot of bad choices can be pre-emted and we'll have much less clutter in the posts.

(3) List and link each file we need to get our F3SV hardware to work.

Provide an explanation for each and step by step instrustions to install each.

(4) What does not work but can be fixed with system modification?

Provide and explanation and detailed instructions to fix each issue.

(5) What things do not work period at this time. Keep the main post up to date in this regard. The idea is that people should not have to do a months worth of research to find this stuff out. That is the idea behind consolidating info. Some of you guys are really into this already.

I have an Asus F3SV laptop. Run XP, Vista, Linux. Comp sci student but not much time to experiment unfortunately since my laptop is used for my studies. I just can't have it offline in an experimental phase for months on end. 2 days max.

Anyway, spent a few days looking into getting OS X on this laptop. The info out there is very flaky and this thread was a great idea for consolidating the info. Kind of happy to have found the thread but also kind of depressed. Is it really this hard to get it working on the ASUS F3SV? You have to flash the frekkin BIOS to a modded one? Why? I've not seen this in other guides...

To me, being new to this MAC OS X subject and new to the MAC OS, considering the mish mash of info out there, this guide seems a little out of date and confusing tbh. That's not a crack just my two cents. Not a bad quide at all but I think we can improve it. I'm sure there are many experts out there, the F3SV is not generally bought by the innocent ;)

Personally, I find it is important to explain why you are doing something, not just list "a thing to do", because that info just may not make sense or may clash with other info out there. There should be an explanation as to the rationale behind each decision. This is vital for the thread to have longevity. Your decisions may make sense to people at the top of the game at the time you post your "steps" but give it a few months and without a rationale those steps are going to be very confusing to a new member reading the instructions. Also, this would allow people to find areas of the main post that need to be updated easily because although they may not recognize the impications of the steps on their own...they prob would recognize an autdated rationale.

I find that these guides spend 2/3 of the effort in detailing how to partition a hdd..... and then skimp on the hard & important stuff!

Instead, they should spend more time on:

-what specific ISO works best with the F3SV line;

-what EXACT fixes/drives need to be used(we have identical hardware, this should be EXACT);

-what exact parameters/modifications need to be done to the system while installing and after to get an optimal system; Finally, these things need to be kept up to date in the first post.

Also, there is no up to date record kept of what works and what does not! Most guides are like this. This one seems much better than others I have seen....so hats off to the guy that started the thread but if this is going to be the official F3SV thread lets keep it up to date.

Hope some of you can find the time to clear up a few things.

END OF JUNE 2008 QUESTIONS (until the guide is updated):

I see there are ISO ver10.5.3/4... Many things have changed I think. These are things that are not clear to me.

(1) Is a modified BIOS NECESSARY for the F3sv to get both cores working??

Does the Asus 208 BIOS not suffice?

If a modded BIOS is not required, please provide detailed instructions as to:

- what ISO to use, and what boot options, and what SPECIFIC files/fixes need to be installed.

- your F3SV model and your BIOS ver.

If you do need a modified BIOS, were do you get the best one for the F3SV? Describe all that needs to be elaborated on.

(2) What is the best ISO to use? This is extremely confusing. This is vital info. I see now there are ISO that emulate the Apple BIOS and you can download updates and stuff. This is a good example that makes me wonder about the need to mod the F3SV BIOS. We need a one paragraph explanation so people know what works best on the F3sv and WHY! When you choose a particular ISO give an explanation as to why you chose it and why certain fixes will need to be used or not used. Short and to the point. Don't just have people blindly installing things. If you explain all this at the start, a lot of bad choices can be pre-emted and we'll have much less clutter in the posts.

(3) What files/drivers need to be installed to get F3SV devices to work?

Provide a link and a short explanation for each.

(4) What does not work but can be fixed with system modification?

Provide detailed instructions.

(5) What things do not work period at this time. Keep the main post up to date in this regard. The idea is that people should not have to do a month research to find this stuff out. Some of you guys are really into this already.

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback on the tutorial.

Admittedly, it is slightly out of date. This is due to the fact that I have been away from the OS X scene for quite some time, and haven't tried any of the new updates. However, there's a few things I think I should justify.

While writing the tutorial, we directed it at people who had at least SOME experience with OS X, and not someone who is just reading ONLY this tutorial with no background knowledge whatsoever, expecting everything to work.

As mentioned (and a lot of people know), original ASUS BIOS (up to 207 from what I've tried), does NOT work with 2 cores. The reasoning behind this is beyond the scope of this tutorial (and my personal knowledge), and irrelavent.

As for the ISO to use, the tutorial specifies the "Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD"... which, from our testing, has worked the best. Since I got off the OS X86 scene, many newer versions have been released, and some people have had luck with a lot of them, but I personally can't test them all because upgrading from my current version is the most logical thing to do. It is also not very difficult to use the 10.5.1 DVD and combo update to the newest version.

In any case, MANY people have sent me PM's about different DVDs, but it's impossible for me to help if your distro is different and your computer is different. I also STRONGLY RECOMMEND posting on this thread before asking me, because I most likely don't know enough about your specific laptop or DVD to be able to help. On the other hand, others with different laptops and different DVDs have been successful, and they can help much better.

As to why I can't post any EXACT drivers, ISOs, or anything at all, is simply because the ASUS F3 series is EXTREMELY diverse. F3SV, F3JP, F3SC, etc, etc, etc, ALL HAVE DIFFERENT HARDWARE

Even within the same "model" (ie. F3SV), there is variation in hardware. A very good example is the sound card. Some F3 series laptops have the ALC660 sound card, which works perfectly (minus mute) with the driver posted in the tutorial, but some have the ALC660-VD, which does not work AT ALL. It is simply impossible for me to post up how to install every piece of hardware ever to come across a F3 laptop, or how to install every existing DVD on every laptop. The guide was meant to provide a way to do it that we have found to work.

In terms of updating what works and what doesn't, AFAIK, NOTHING has changed since the guide has written. If your webcam works, it works, ethernet working has been updated, sound is YMMV, and wireless doesn't work.

Hope this helps =)

@twitch123:

I am not entirely sure what the issue is. My best guess is that after erasing (check to make sure there weren't any errors), the installation did not mount the partition. In that case, in disc utility, right click the partition in question and click mount.

@saintckm:

I believe that the F3JC is one of the very few laptops fine without bios mod. =)

@saintckm:

I believe that the F3JC is one of the very few laptops fine without bios mod. =)

Yup. That's true. F3jc up and running OSX without a glitch or modded Bios.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. Well, since you and I have the same hardware, perhaps you can point me towards all the correct downloads.

Actually, I spent a few hours consolidating F3SV specs and I think I came up with a good method to improve our future guides.

I tried to come up with a method of presentation that is easy to the eye, does not require bulletin board table coding skills,

and will allow us to be EXACT.

Here is what I came up with... Actually first, I just want to say a few words so my mind frame is clear.

The usage of the following should be clear and easy for a presentation wich goes something like this:

Choose an ISO (ex. Kali OS X 10.5.3). Start a new Asus F3 tutorial thread for it.

State what ISO you chose and why. Start your steps and also explain why you did something the way you did.

When you reach the part that requires driver/file installations and mods, post the table i provided filled out.

You see something I call " notes & inst #". This is for a referance number to your instruction for that part. Do not actually put instructions there.

By putting a ref # instead you WILL save a lot of time and effort, in part because you will not replicate instructions for sim hardware.

You can refer to the same instruction by using the same ef number. Once you examine the table allthis will become very clear.

I also recoommend that you do not use numbers like 1,2,3,4.. Instead skip a few in between in case something needs to be added in between two instructions later.

So just semi-random 11, 24, 34, 45, 55, 66, 77... will do.

Then after the table you can nicely in paragraph format write your instructions to which you refered to with the ref numbers.

This would be very neat and easy to follow. Of course, the satus, links and file names would already be in the table so all you would have to do here is add a short and sweet explanation and the command promt instructions to install the kexts or what not.

So.. here is the table that I made for the Asus F3SV laptops. I would suggest that since other F3 series laptops have similar specs,

the entire table should be replicated. This is the beauty of this method. You could post multiple tables like this and you would not have to rewrtie

instructions for the same hardware...just use the same ref number! So F3JC owners for exmaple should fill out their own table...because they know the JC's the best, but they can most certainly recycle 90% of the instructions and not even have to write them. The fact is that is the laz mans way of doing it and an F3JC owner that wants to contribute for example, would just have to copy paste the table, make a few HD changes and type a few numbers, done!. The person who started the thread then would not have to integrate every iteration of the table. For example a person with access to the f3sv line would not have to take responsibiliy for the f3jc line. They, could, there wouldn't be too many tables...the way it is made this one covers all F3SV models....so perhaps 4 or 5 tables would cover the entire line. Of course, I do not recomend that a person should cover the whole line...that is not realistic....but an F3SV owner could easily cover the F3SV line as the hardware is perty much identical and the table makes it easy. An F3JC expert tha can cover, in the same thread if they wish, cover that line.

I would also suggest making a new account and sharing the log in with a few commited people so that if someone takes off the thread is not lost. This is not necessary but would be nice indeed.

Sorry for the ugly dashes but I had to to keep the format. I'm bad at BB code and don't think they enable table

bbcode because it may break the site layout...but just in case, I attached a much better looking and cleaner

version as html. See attachment.

===============================================================================

Model Line:--------------Asus F3SV

Sub-Models: ------------Asus F3SV- A1, B1, X1, X4

Tbl Last Updated:

HARDWARE_ _ _ _ _ _ _ DISCRIPTION

BOARD:

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ ASUSTeK ( Intel PM965 or GM965? + ICH8M (Santa Rosa))

CPU:

A1, X1:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Intel Core2Duo T7300 (MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3,SSSE3,EM64T)

Notes & Instr #:_ _ _ _ _

Driver('File') Name & Link:

B1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Intel Core2Duo T7500 (MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3,SSSE3,EM64T)

Notes & Instr #:_ _ _ _ _

Driver('File') Name & Link:

MEMORY:

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _1GB Qimonda DDR2 667 (PC2 5300), Latency 5-5-5-15

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _1GB Intel Turbo Memory

Notes & Instr #:_ _ _ _ _ _

Driver('File') Name & Link:_

GFX:

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ _Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS 256MB

Hardware ID:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Driver('File') Name & Link:_

AUDIO:

X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "Hi-Definition (HD)" Realtek ALC660

Hardware ID:_ _ _ _ _ _ __

Driver('File') Name & Link: _

Hard Disk:

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ _Hitachi 160GB SATA-150 5400rpm

Optical Drive:

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ _Mat{censored}a UJ-850S DVD Super Multi

Memory Card:

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ Ricoh 8-in-1

Modem:

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _Motorola SM56 Speakerphone Modem

LAN:

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller

WLAN:

A1, B1:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Intel ® Wireless 4965AGN

X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Intel ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)

Bluetooth:

A1, B1, X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ _Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR

Screen:

A1:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _15.4" WXGA+ (1440 x 900)

B1:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _15.4" WSXGA+ (1680X1050)

X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _15.4" WXGA (1280x800)

Webcam:

X1, X4:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 1.3MP webcam with swivel

Other (All F3SV):

Touchpad: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Synaptics

Keyboard: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Standard

Mouse:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Asus (Logitech) M-UAG120

Speaker:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Stereo Internal Speakers

Audio port out:_ _ _ _ _ _ 1

Audio port in:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ 1

USB 2.0:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 4 Ports

IEEE 1394:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _1 Port

VGA:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _1 Port

DVI:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _1 Port

S-Video TV-out:_ _ _ _ _ _1 Port

POWER (All F3SV):

Battery:_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _6 Cell Lithium Ion

Power Saving Functions:

Notes & Instr #:_ _ _ _ _ __

Driver ('File') Name & Link: _

Sleep & Awake:

Driver ('File') Name & Link: _

Charging:

========================================================================

sysspecs.htm

I think that you are making it a bit more complicated than it really is...

The different models within the F3 series (and some others like W7, etc), have almost identical installation methods. The few hardware differences (namely gfx card, sound card, LAN, Wireless, webcam, card reader), make it impossible to have one SPECIFIC set of instructions to cover everyone, but the variances are small such that writing seperate guides or even large sections within guides dedicated to different models is impractical.

A good example of what might not work is:

I have the F3SV-A1, and my Webcam is not UVC. Another person on this forum with the F3SV-A1 has a UVC compatible webcam, meaning mac cam works for him, but not me.

Similarly, a few people have had luck with the internal memory card reader being USB (and workable OOTB), while most can't.

For this guide, we picked the Kalyway 10.5.1 install DVD (personally, my installation came off a heavily modified BrazilMac DVD, but the process was too complicated, and I didn't have the modded BIOS back then). A lot of other DVDs have been released since then, but as of right now I don't have any plans to write out a new guide for every new DVD release available. If anyone has a problem with DVDs other than the one we used in our guide, they can post here and others who have worked them will be able to help out.

As for specific hardware for your F3SV setup, if you followed the instructions step by step with the said DVD (Kalyway 10.5.1), the links included in the guide for gfx, audio, lan, drivers should all be sufficient. They are pretty much what I used to get my setup working.

The most problems people are having come from:

1. Using a different DVD from the guide and expecting it to work the same

2. Differences in hardware (namely ALC660-VD, which doesn't work yet)

Another problem with writing such large guides with so many different sections is -- the ASUS F3 series is not a very popular laptop among OSX86 users. There simply isn't enough people in the community with this laptop (compared to some Dell and HP lines) to write such huge guides and keep them updated, and have them be used enough to justify the time. Our efforts have been to try and group together all users of this series of laptops to hopefully come up with a solution (which we have) that will work more or less for everyone.

Thanks for sticking with it. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, you're not required to help so thanks for all your hard work.

Let me ask you though...do you have a functional install?? I was reading *some* of your posts and I've read that you're having problems with CPU stuck @ 100%, all kinds of audio issues, can't play vids on vlc or other videos, can't get imovie to work, etc. You don't elaborate on these things in the guide...and you leave us guessing as to what drivers/files and fixes you used.

Your links take one to discussions of stuff not working. It is not at all clear what files you are referring to.

-Your audio link is not at all specific. No idea what you ended up using, it is a thread with various files and many issues/problems/speculations.

-Your NVIDIA link is broken. You don't even say what you used...

-The wifi link you provide is just another thread. No idea what you used or if it even works. I think you bought another card...

-You bat meter link takes us to yet another thread leaving us to guess what you did and what success you had.

Some people say it does not work.

I also want to ask you what ISO you are using now or plan to on your new build. I see your planning a quad.

I take it won't be 10.5.1 as the new ones seem much more hd compatible and faster.

Actually the f3sv laptops are prob the most pop asus laptops now. It is prob their biggest seller since it came out.

I know other places not for os x where the owners hang out by the hundreds. I'd love your help & insight in making a new guide for a newer ISO.

What east coast school u at?

successful installed 10.5.2 retail on asus f3sc ... i need little help for internal keyboard and touchpad !! for now only external keyboard and mouse function ...

it's possible to work with internal keyboard and touchpad ?? need modify ?? or patch ??

sorry for n00b question

Thanks for sticking with it. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, you're not required to help so thanks for all your hard work.

Let me ask you though...do you have a functional install?? I was reading *some* of your posts and I've read that you're having problems with CPU stuck @ 100%, all kinds of audio issues, can't play vids on vlc or other videos, can't get imovie to work, etc. You don't elaborate on these things in the guide...and you leave us guessing as to what drivers/files and fixes you used.

CPU stuck at 100% and VLC player were video driver issues before the Geforce 8 series drivers were released. Audio was originally not working (it was a LONG time ago.. when we had to heavily modify Tiger to get it to run on our laptops AT ALL), and imovie was fixed after an update from apple. By the time the guide was written, all of these issues have been fixed. My installation is fully functional (minus a few small things, like wireless and sleep)

Your links take one to discussions of stuff not working. It is not at all clear what files you are referring to.

-Your audio link is not at all specific. No idea what you ended up using, it is a thread with various files and many issues/problems/speculations.

-Your NVIDIA link is broken. You don't even say what you used...

-The wifi link you provide is just another thread. No idea what you used or if it even works. I think you bought another card...

-You bat meter link takes us to yet another thread leaving us to guess what you did and what success you had.

Some people say it does not work.

- I believe the audio link points to the exact post (and a few posts after it) where the audio drivers were pulled out from. If I recall correctly, there were 3 files with varying functionality, but they all worked. A little reading should get you what you want. I apologize for not linking to the file directly.

- Thank you for pointing out the NVIDIA link problem. I wasn't aware that the link has been outdated, but I have fixed it with a new link.

- The wireless cards (Intel 3945/4965) have NOT been working... it is merely a work in progress (last time I checked anyway). Again, we made the assumption that whoever is reading the guide has SOME background knowledge about OS X and OSx86, and doesn't rely entirely on this thread for all of their needs.

- The battery meter seems to be a hit or miss. Some people can get it to work, others can't (same goes for speedstep, which I broke on my install). I provided the link so that you know where to look, and the instructions on how to get that working are written there already. I am no expert on how they work.

I want to emphasize that I did not intend this guide to be a crash course in installing osx86 on your laptop. To get OSx86 working on your laptop is a lot of work, and requires patience to read up on all sorts of different information about each software and hardware component. Especially with components that are still being worked on, or partially working, etc. This guide should help you get your computer to run osx86 fine, with most of the drivers working (or point you in the right direction in case they're not working).

I also want to ask you what ISO you are using now or plan to on your new build. I see your planning a quad.

I take it won't be 10.5.1 as the new ones seem much more hd compatible and faster.

I haven't actually planned that far yet, as I have been using Vista for a while (and quite frankly, it works well, and I don't have to worry about hardware compatibility or constantly trying to fix it), and I am still saving up for my new build. Unless I can see a reason to download a new ISO for a few drivers, I am tempted to install with Kalyway 10.5.1, combo update to the newest version, and add whatever drivers I need. I like to keep things simple and work with what I already know very well. :D

Actually the f3sv laptops are prob the most pop asus laptops now. It is prob their biggest seller since it came out.

I know other places not for os x where the owners hang out by the hundreds. I'd love your help & insight in making a new guide for a newer ISO.

What east coast school u at?

I am not saying that F3 series laptops aren't popular... just not so much within the osx86 community. In the 3+ months that this tutorial was written, there has only been so many people posting on this thread. In the beginning it was very difficult to find ANYONE who got an asus laptop working with OS X, but thankfully now there's a few more of us. =)

Hope this helps.

@iamjfk11:

I think it might be an issue with your AppleACPIPlatform.kext or AppleAPIC.kext with the PS/2 keyboard and trackpad. Look around the forum for a fix for it, I don't have the link with me.

Good luck!