The Official Asus F3 Series Notebook Thread - Leopard!

antaholics

703 posts in this topic

Guest undefined
In the beginning it was very difficult to find ANYONE who got an asus laptop working with OS X, but thankfully now there's a few more of us. =)

Yeah, I agree! I nearly bought a {censored} HP instead of my lovely F3Sv, I thought there wasn't any graphics driver at the beginning :)

Guest undefined

And by the way, ant - please add kalyway 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 releases, as they are all similar and they both work the same. 10.5.4 update proccess doesn't require anything and you can run it from system update, however when installing 10.5.3, you'd need to backup your extensions and download new NVInject.

And by the way, ant - please add kalyway 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 releases, as they are all similar and they both work the same. 10.5.4 update proccess doesn't require anything and you can run it from system update, however when installing 10.5.3, you'd need to backup your extensions and download new NVInject.

Added 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 to the list :)

@iamjfk11:

Let me know how that goes, if you can't find how to fix it I'll try and point you in the right direction :)

Cheers!

Ant

I'm currently trying to install Kalyway 10.5.2 onto an Asus F3JC (unmodified bios)

I put the DVD in, it starts to boot and gets to just after where it lists Darwin Bootloader and just sits there and does nothing

You can see it here:

img0726gr6.jpg

Any ideas?

@one_tjc:

You are getting kernel panic on ACPI_SMC_Platformplugin. I've seen the error before, and lots of people had it. I randomly fixed the error, but others have been able to remove the said file from the ISO, and reburning. Burning the disc again SOMETIMES works as well. Hope this helps

@iamjfk11:

Does the keyboard work when you boot with the install DVD? If so, copy the ACPI and APIC kext files from the installation DVD itself, replace it with the ones in your system, reboot with -f -v, and it should work. Good luck!

@one_tjc:

You are getting kernel panic on ACPI_SMC_Platformplugin. I've seen the error before, and lots of people had it. I randomly fixed the error, but others have been able to remove the said file from the ISO, and reburning. Burning the disc again SOMETIMES works as well. Hope this helps

cheers - will give it a shot and let you know :thumbsup_anim:

I have the same problem as one_tjc, but I didn't fix it. I installed iAtkos v4i

It has installed, but after reboot it always says to restart computer. I tried almost every type of installation.

Tried with choosing 9.2 ToH kernel, and even installation with cpus=1 but every time is the same thing.

Anybody knows how to resolve it?

Asus F3jc as well

Now I'm downloading Leo4Allv3, but it's already third osx that I'll try. Is there any way to install iAtkos and make it work?

@one_tjc:

I tried removing the file from the iso (using Magic ISO) however when saving it stuffed up the boot function of the DVD [and in doing so used my last blank DVD, DOH!]

Could you possibly suggest an ISO manager that won't bork the boot files?

@saintckm:

have you tried booting with -v? what does it say?

@one_tjc:

sorry, but I'm really not sure which ISO manager to use. when I made edits to my ISO, I had a Tiger installation working, and I used that to change any files in my ISOs...

Can you try another disc, if its not too inconvenient?

@saintckm:

have you tried booting with -v? what does it say?

I always do it with -v, and that always happens;/

I just got blank dvds and I'll check Leo4Allv3

Which burning software are you using to burn osx dvd? what speed?

I always used Infra recorder, which was suggested in installation tutorial on wiki and speed 1, 2, or 4

Now I'll check Alcohol 120%

Maybe that's the problem? who knows

^ hey ant, I had a look at the install process for the audio drivers but I'm not having much luck

so far i've copied the two kexts in, deleted the azalia

run all the terminal commands and still not getting and sound

edit: i'm guessing that a codec dump is required

It boots into OSX fine, but just no sound.

I think the device is a realtek ALC882/ALC660 (from googling 'F3JC realtek'), though it doesn't list the model in the system properties anywhere

this is the link i used to install the drivers: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74937

When installing OSX i deselected all the Audio options in the install (as per the instructions) before realising they were meant for 10.5.1, perhaps it should have worked out of the box

I made my own ALC660 dump in linux, installed using all of the versions of HDA 1.16-1.20 and still no audio happening.

Does anyone have any ideas? (for getting sound to work on an F3Jc)

I don't know if your sound codec is ALC 660, I suppose it depends on the F3JC version. My F3JC isn't. It's ALC861 and it works. Get that specific driver on Taruga's site. or PM if you don't get it

I installed Leo4Allv3 and after reboot it says still waiting for root device.

Tried to install it twice, but it's the same.

I was installing with -v

Should I choose some acpi kexts in installation? Which kernel? By the default is 9.2.0 so I left it as it is.

There are also Vanilla 9.2.0, vanilla 9.2.2, normal 9.2.0, 9.2.2, Mobdin 9.2.2 (supposely, but don't remember)

There is also something like OLD Apple acpi, should I tick it?

I don't know if your sound codec is ALC 660, I suppose it depends on the F3JC version. My F3JC isn't. It's ALC861 and it works. Get that specific driver on Taruga's site. or PM if you don't get it

That's how linux (where the codec dump i created is taken from) sees it - as an ALC600 despite it being an ALC8xx and it is supposed to work...

I'll give the 861 a go though, what process did you go through to install it?

I installed Leo4Allv3 and after reboot it says still waiting for root device.

Tried to install it twice, but it's the same.

I was installing with -v

Should I choose some acpi kexts in installation? Which kernel? By the default is 9.2.0 so I left it as it is.

There are also Vanilla 9.2.0, vanilla 9.2.2, normal 9.2.0, 9.2.2, Mobdin 9.2.2 (supposely, but don't remember)

There is also something like OLD Apple acpi, should I tick it?

I haven't tried Leo4Allv3 yet, so my help is limited.

For "still waiting for root device", OS X cannot find the HD for whatever reason. The first thing you can try is setting ur IDE to Compatibility mode in your BIOS... or if the DVD has any SATA drivers, try those as well. This may not always work though...

good luck