Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

I have a Dell 9400 with Nvidia 7900 GS and Dell wifi card I bought off fleabay, I tried installing iDeneb 10.5 but got the dreaded red ring with line through it while installing.

I managed to install iAktos 10.5.2 to A USB Hardrive but everything was slow and clunky, I found your latest installer and installed the 7900gs driver & the wifi driver.

I then fixed permissions & rebooted.

now all I get is "DISK ERROR" when trying to boot the USB drive

I have a Dell 9400 with Nvidia 7900 GS and Dell wifi card I bought off fleabay, I tried installing iDeneb 10.5 but got the dreaded red ring with line through it while installing.

I managed to install iAktos 10.5.2 to A USB Hardrive but everything was slow and clunky, I found your latest installer and installed the 7900gs driver & the wifi driver.

I then fixed permissions & rebooted.

now all I get is "DISK ERROR" when trying to boot the USB drive

Nothing connected to the installer. You certainly forgot to unplug USB stick or something like that, cause tis error mean your BIOS can't boot USB device.

Boombeng:

Thanks.

I have an Inspiron 1525. I used version 1.4 of the post installer to try to get my audio working and the mediakeys working. I have used tons of other audio kexts and the internal speakers and one headphone jack always works, but I can never get both internal speakers and internal mic working. I used the Sigmatel 9228 and after, internal mic works but internal speakers and the headphone jacks do not. How can i get both of these working?

Also on my insprion 1525, I have installed the media keys hotfix multiple times and everytime after insalling it the keyboard stops working after the first reboot. The trackpad works fine but if I press one of the media keys, the mouse stops moving to. And I know that my computer isn't frozen because pressing the power button bring up the shutdown screen.

If anyone can help me with either of this issues, I would greatly ppreciate it. I would prefer if you emailed me at tompic823@aol.com or IM/PM me as it is hard to constantly check this forum for the latest updates. My screenname for AIM is tompic823. Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I installed dell package trackpad scrolling option and i loose keyboard functionality... It returns when I replace the backup ApplePS2Controller.kext in /Extra (its not in /Library/Extensions)

Any idea how I can get the keyboard back after using Dell Package 1.4.1 trackpad option for M1530? Other relevant info is in the sig.

Thank You!

Hello everyone,

I installed dell package trackpad scrolling option and i loose keyboard functionality... It returns when I replace the backup ApplePS2Controller.kext in /Extra (its not in /Library/Extensions)

Any idea how I can get the keyboard back after using Dell Package 1.4.1 trackpad option for M1530? Other relevant info is in the sig.

Thank You!

UPDATE: I deleted ApplePS2Controller.kext from /Extra but didn't delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. I installed Dell Package->2 Finger Scrolling, and after a reinstall it worked. NOW, in System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse, the Mouse tab is missing :\ Any ideas?

UPDATE: I deleted ApplePS2Controller.kext from /Extra but didn't delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext. I installed Dell Package->2 Finger Scrolling, and after a reinstall it worked. NOW, in System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse, the Mouse tab is missing :\ Any ideas?

FIXED: I extracted trackpad.prefPane from 10.5.6 update. Deleted the old one from /System/Library/PreferencePane/trackpad.prefPane, double clicked on the newly extracted on and it worked :) so far 2 finger scroll works (after disabling it in the trackpad options)

Hello everyone,

Thank You!

guess I am a little late with help. was about to point to my post a couple pages before this

I have an e1505 inspiron 6400 kalyway 10.5.2 install ati x1400. When I try to run the 1.4 installer to add graphics, sound, trackpad, and power management support. It gets to the point during the install where it should be installing and then tells me that there is no software to install. Any Ideas?

I have an e1505 inspiron 6400 kalyway 10.5.2 install ati x1400. When I try to run the 1.4 installer to add graphics, sound, trackpad, and power management support. It gets to the point during the install where it should be installing and then tells me that there is no software to install. Any Ideas?

odd, I'd re-download the patcher and try again. I know this is a silly suggestion, but make sure you actually made checkmarks at what you want to install...

hmm. maybe just a bad download, as i've got it working fine now. As close to perfect as i can get with an x1400. I can get the computer to sleep fine i think. things seem to stop spinning, but I can't get the display to sleep. I've tried various kernels the power kexts from the installer as well as terminal commands. Any ideas?

I'm currently trying to make my dell vostro 1500 shutdown correctly. Nothing of existing solution helped, so i tried to tweak LoadHDA for myself.

I have fully working AppleHDA.kext, and modified LoadHDA in /Library/StartupItems/LoadHDA/LoadHDA

now the code looks folowing:

#!/bin/sh
mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.med/Contents /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext
kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAController.kext
kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.med
exit 0

where /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.med is the contents of working AppleHDA.kext . So I rebooted, fixed security settings, rebooted again. LoadHDA works, cause first time i try to increase sound i see like my audio is missing, but it appears in a moment. So, sound is working, /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext package is empty. Though no success in shutdown.

My questions:

1) Why do we load kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext "manually" and do not move contents of it as in AppleHDA kext?

2) Is there any way to see which of the kernel extensions stops shutdown so we could make the same thing as with AppleHDA? google search tags would be the best guide here to start at

3) has Taruga smth special in his kext i missed? cause my sound stops working if i use Taruga's kext, and no shutdown. Do I need to take any files from it to my AppleHDA.med package?

4) Is there a topic in this forum about LoadHDA method? cause i didn't find any

Or maybe anyone has already theyre vostro shutdowning?

Thanks

Haven't been on in a while, so excuse me if this is a stupid question and/or has been answered before.

With 1.4.....safe update....can I go from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6? As long as I have it install the latest PC_EFI and Voodoo kernel? I'm still using a kalyway 10.5.2 that has been upgraded through 10.5.5...but still has the original boot on a mbr.

Haven't been on in a while, so excuse me if this is a stupid question and/or has been answered before.

With 1.4.....safe update....can I go from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6? As long as I have it install the latest PC_EFI and Voodoo kernel? I'm still using a kalyway 10.5.2 that has been upgraded through 10.5.5...but still has the original boot on a mbr.

As no one answers i can recomend you to have a testing partition (copy of working one made with disk utilities) and do there whatever you want to. Another point is: do you really need 10.5.6? yes, there are features http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3194 , but there are quite many bug reports as well

should work without a problem. just a few things to look out for. just read my step by step a couple pages earlier and you should be at 10.5.6 without a problem. But as medwezys suggests and I am sure you know, it's always good to have a safety net. I always have an image of the most recent working build as a backup before I jump into an upgrade.

should work without a problem. just a few things to look out for. just read my step by step a couple pages earlier and you should be at 10.5.6 without a problem. But as medwezys suggests and I am sure you know, it's always good to have a safety net. I always have an image of the most recent working build as a backup before I jump into an upgrade.

I have had problems updating from 10.5.5. The easiest way for me was to use the iPC release... installed and working 10.5.6 in 20mins.

On another note, I was checking my bios on my dell m1530, it says that my audio controller is 9205. I didn't know this until yesterday, I've been using 9228 Kext for the past 6 months. I even tried to install 9205 audio drivers and it didn't work me me but the 9228 drivers still work. Anybody else experience this?

I have had problems updating from 10.5.5. The easiest way for me was to use the iPC release... installed and working 10.5.6 in 20mins.

Donkey,

Did you have 10.5.5 and then just put the iPC disc in and let it install on top of it? Because I already have downloaded that disc.

And no....no real need to upgrade......

Is the consensus for me to stay at 10.5.5?

And on a side note....has anyone figured out the broadcom ethernet issue?

Donkey,

Did you have 10.5.5 and then just put the iPC disc in and let it install on top of it? Because I already have downloaded that disc.

And no....no real need to upgrade......

Is the consensus for me to stay at 10.5.5?

And on a side note....has anyone figured out the broadcom ethernet issue?

Actually what I ended up doing is a backup of my 10.5.5 and then i did a complete reinstall. When I tried updating, my system would end up with no keyboard and after trying it 5 times with different combos, I pop'd in the iPC cd and it worked beautifully. Turns out, there was a fix after a few days of 10.5.6 update release. Now, you can choose either way, I like to go the format route and start fresh.

I haven't heard anything about the boradcom ethernet issue BUT, you could use something like this: http://www.usb-ware.com/usb-ethernet-gigab...pter-ae2300.htm

mwgdrwg, it could be that you didn't install the kext properly. Delete the ones that give the error, clear your cache (osxtools), use kext helper or osx tools to install the kext... reboot and it should work fine.

Thanks for the info donkey.

Since i have been hearing of problems with 10.5.6 maybe I will just stay with 10.5.5 until I NEED to do a reinstall.

If you can make a backup to an external drive, then you should definitely test installing 10.5.6. If it doesn't work you can always go back to 10.5.5. :(

mwgdrwg, it could be that you didn't install the kext properly. Delete the ones that give the error, clear your cache (osxtools), use kext helper or osx tools to install the kext... reboot and it should work fine.
No, alas i already did as you suggested 3 or 4 times and i still had the same errors i'm gonna keep plugging away at it though.....

E2A fixed it :( was missing some crucial kexts that had been removed and backed up elsewhere doh! will delete the unnecessary post above

No, alas i already did as you suggested 3 or 4 times and i still had the same errors i'm gonna keep plugging away at it though.....

E2A fixed it :blink: was missing some crucial kexts that had been removed and backed up elsewhere doh! will delete the unnecessary post above

Usually when something like this happens... I end up starting from scratch. The setup I have now is the most perfect I've had. The only thing I'd really like is proper shutdown and restart. That would be very useful!