Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

Well...I have gotten a good install on a Dell Inspiron1420 and the only thing that just doesn't work (and I wish it would) is onboard sound. In the Bios I have a Sigmatel 9205, but the forums say use the 9228...but neither work and the post installer is ineffective as well. My mediakeys work just fine.

The funniest thing was that I had trouble with the graphics UNTIL I updated to 10.5.6. The update fixed the problems I was having. I don't really get it, but I don't care. So...HOW THE HECK DOYOU GET THE SIGMATEL TO WORK?

1. Do I use 9205 or 9228?

2. Is there an installer or something that will make it work with 10.5.6?

3. Thank you to everyone that has done research, patching, testing, etc. I love using MacOs and have had fun with the process of changing my Dell into a Hackintosh.

Well...I have gotten a good install on a Dell Inspiron1420 and the only thing that just doesn't work (and I wish it would) is onboard sound. In the Bios I have a Sigmatel 9205, but the forums say use the 9228...but neither work and the post installer is ineffective as well. My mediakeys work just fine.

The funniest thing was that I had trouble with the graphics UNTIL I updated to 10.5.6. The update fixed the problems I was having. I don't really get it, but I don't care. So...HOW THE HECK DOYOU GET THE SIGMATEL TO WORK?

1. Do I use 9205 or 9228?

2. Is there an installer or something that will make it work with 10.5.6?

3. Thank you to everyone that has done research, patching, testing, etc. I love using MacOs and have had fun with the process of changing my Dell into a Hackintosh.

Hey bud, I have the same issue, I have 9205, I am usig 9228 drivers and they work almost perfectly. I have both outputs working, the external mic (no internal yet) the kext you should try is AppleHDA.kext.M1530.Allports.zip. You can find it at: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=142521 This is a thread specifically on 9228 Sigmatel audio. People are testing and making progress. You might even want to try other kext. Might be best to try all of them... use Kext Helper to install properly...

Was reading through the posts and didn't see a solution so I figured I'd ask:

I had a 10.5.2 Kalyway install on my d620 and when I used the Sigmatel9200 sound patch from the installer It worked and I was thrilled. That HD started failing and after buying a new one I installed iAtkos 10.5.5 and tried the sound patch again, but this time no luck.

So, any thoughts on how I might get that glorious working sound again?

Quick Edit: I found out the problem, HDA Enabler isn't starting. syslog shows the following:

Jan 19 02:27:55 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl

Jan 19 02:27:55 localhost kernel[0]: HDAEnabler: 05/05/2008 Added SPAudio support:Taruga

Jan 19 02:27:55 localhost kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == fInterruptSource" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-157.1.24/AppleHDAController/AppleHDAController.cpp" at line 215 goto Exit1

But I don't exactly know how to fix that. Any ideas?

Was reading through the posts and didn't see a solution so I figured I'd ask:

I had a 10.5.2 Kalyway install on my d620 and when I used the Sigmatel9200 sound patch from the installer It worked and I was thrilled. That HD started failing and after buying a new one I installed iAtkos 10.5.5 and tried the sound patch again, but this time no luck.

So, any thoughts on how I might get that glorious working sound again?

this may not be the best way, make sure you have a backup of the kexts in question and a way to put them back in place if the system fails to start. I would manually delete the hdaenabler and the applehda kext, then apply the patcher, while still in the os (verify that the new ones are installed into the extensions). If that doesn't work, I'd try to extract the kexts from the patcher and use kexthelper to install them.

Hey Guys, I'm new to most of this stuff but really want to learn I'm dual booting from the Kalyway 10.5.2 with XP Pro on a Dell E1505, After I did the Dell Post Installer update, I lost all trackpad and keyboard functionality. How do I fix this? I can't use either trackpad or keyboard, and I can't access the drive thru xp, says it's unknown partition.

Thanks

UPDATE: I tried reinstalling using the iPC 10.5.6 with all the 4 PPFs (yes, I did install ppf1 then 2 then 3 then 4.) and the install failed, so I went back erased the partition and reinstalled with the Kalyway 10.5.2. disk and then ran the Dell Post Installer and fixed permissions, now what else do I need to do to be able to fix sound, etc and upgrade to 10.5.6 with all PPF's?

Hi to all. For the first time I want say thx for this thread. Its amazing.

I have a XPS (configuration in sign) and I'd use it with Leopard too.

Surfing on the web I have find iDeneb, I dont know if someone know it.

http://ideneb.insanelymac.net/

Well, i'll install it but I have some question.

For the first, the package "Dell post installer" is only for a retail osx installation

or can be good for iDeneb too??

I need to make a new partition on my HD before o I can meke it during the installation??

I want make a dual boot. XP // OSX Leopard.

Thx for all and sorry for my bad english

Nix that, had to reinstall again, every time I tried to mount a dmg it crashed. So I'm starting fresh again. I'm just not sure what to install and what not to install... unfortunetly this forum seems to be thin on helpers or people willing to help, so I'm forced to re-install over and over again. So far... 8 reinstalls... yay. Are there better more receptive forums I should be looking into?

Nix that, had to reinstall again, every time I tried to mount a dmg it crashed. So I'm starting fresh again. I'm just not sure what to install and what not to install... unfortunetly this forum seems to be thin on helpers or people willing to help, so I'm forced to re-install over and over again. So far... 8 reinstalls... yay. Are there better more receptive forums I should be looking into?

Install Seatbelt to fix the problem. If you patch your iPC 10.5.6 DVD up until PPF4, you will get the message that your install failed but it actually successful. Check thread for iPC, you will know what is going on. Download PPF5, the final PPF, and patch your iPC 10.5.6 DVD with it. Next time you should post your computer specification & what are the packages did you choose when you install OS X. People can't help you if you offer only little information.

Peace. ;)

kizwan

If you just put seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 or previous osx into your extensions you are fine and you can mount dmg file fine. people are willing to help here, but you also need to help yourself first. you find information about the seatbelt.kext problem all over the forum...I am here at least a couple time a week to help, sometimes you need to be patient and wait a day or two. 8 reinstalls - I suggest you to be more patient and do some more reading. just go a couple pages back and you find some solutions. If you continue with this attitude people will soon just ignore your posts.

oops, just saw kizwan already answered your post. as he mentioned there is actually a ppf5 out.

Hi to all. For the first time I want say thx for this thread. Its amazing.

I have a XPS (configuration in sign) and I'd use it with Leopard too.

Surfing on the web I have find iDeneb, I dont know if someone know it.

http://ideneb.insanelymac.net/

Well, i'll install it but I have some question.

For the first, the package "Dell post installer" is only for a retail osx installation

or can be good for iDeneb too??

I need to make a new partition on my HD before o I can meke it during the installation??

I want make a dual boot. XP // OSX Leopard.

Thx for all and sorry for my bad english

Don't know about dual boot cause I just use OS X, but I know iDeneb will work with this post installer as that is the one I used for my setup. Little older than yours but very similar. Good luck with the install. :-)

Don't know about dual boot cause I just use OS X, but I know iDeneb will work with this post installer as that is the one I used for my setup. Little older than yours but very similar. Good luck with the install. :-)

Thx so much for ur reply. :D

Do u think that the iDeneb solution is better than a retail installation?

I read somethings about retail 10.5 installation and upgrade until 10.5.6.

And, I have read somethings about a cleaner software that can remove more softwares after an iDeneb installation.

tha again

I personally could not get retail to work. I had to use iDeneb. It was the only one that worked for me. It works really well in my opinion also.

Thx so much for ur reply. :D

Do u think that the iDeneb solution is better than a retail installation?

I read somethings about retail 10.5 installation and upgrade until 10.5.6.

And, I have read somethings about a cleaner software that can remove more softwares after an iDeneb installation.

tha again

I personally could not get retail to work. I had to use iDeneb. It was the only one that worked for me. It works really well in my opinion also.

Weel.

So, I need to install iDeneb and after setup my drivers?

And, I need to make befor my hd partion??

Weel.

So, I need to install iDeneb and after setup my drivers?

And, I need to make befor my hd partion??

Yes install iDeneb and then install the drivers from the post installer. Hopefully someone else can help you with the partitioning because I installed on a blank drive so I don't have experience with the dual boot procedure.

Hello Everybody

So it has began…. Osx on my laptop PC :] Well after days of search and about 5 burned distros later, I managed to pull off an installation of the Leopard from iAtkos 5i. Distros like Kalyway 10.5.2 didn’t work, or there was some problem during the installation, so I figured I will try to find something more suitable. I also tried iAtkos v1.0i2 but after installation reboot I clicked F8 and after typing –v or any other command for that matter nothing happened and he still waited for me to put in another command. So I got iAtkos 5i and now I am at the point where I can only boot to it with –v –x which is the safe mode from what I found on this forum.

My computer specs are as follows :

Dell Vostro 1500

Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7500, 2348 MHz (11 x 213)

2 GB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

GeForce 8600M GT (512 MB)

SigmaTel STAC9205X @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M

Seagate ST9160821AS (160 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA)

Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5560A

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card

BIOS A04

AHCI is enabled

(if more info is required please ask)

I have 3 partitions on my disk

- 10GB NTFS with Windows

- 100GB NTFS for data

- 30GB Mac extended journaled (with iAtkos 5i)

I think I saw somewhere that it is MBR

I use Akronis OS selector and GParted live cd for changing booting “flags” when necessary

Drivers chosen from iAtkos 5i distro

-Bootlader

-- PC EFI V9

-x86 Patches

-- Decrypters

--- Apple decrypter

- SMSBIOS

-- SMSBIOS Eablers

-Kernel (none chosen)

-ACPI (none chosen)

- Disabler.kext

- VGA

-- EFI strings

--- 8600GT

-System

-- SATA/IDE

--- Intel AHCI SATA

Speedstep (none)

-Laptop baterry

-Network

-- Broadcom 440x

On these settings when I boot only with –v the system loading stops on line

NTFS driver 2.1 [Flags:R0/1]

And when I boot with –v –x I go to the leopard desktop, I have no sound, only 1280x768 resolution to choose. USB works, my laptop keyboard doesn’t work but that is because I didn’t choose the ps/2 driver in the beginning I suppose, and I have a USB wireless desktop and it works perfectly. Since Mac OSX is totally new for me, some things that I should describe, I am probably missing, but I hope somebody can tell me what info he needs to be able to help me threw this :] and I will be more then happy to provide.

OK so in the safe mode I also tried to install some drivers for sound and wireless from the

DELL PACKAGE 1.4.1 that I found in a link on this forum. Options chosen from this package are as follows:

-Sound

-- Sigmatel 9205

-Network

-- Dell wireless 1395

-Trackpad

-- Vostro 1500

I haven’t chosen any Kernels, no safe update (as I read it should be in the iAtkos 5i), and no sd card reader, just to be safe.

With all above options when now I try to boot the osx normally just with –v I end up with being stuck on error:

System/Library/External/IO8021/family kext/contents/plugins/appleairPort

I think that this might be the wirelss but I am not sure that is why I am posting it here.

Now couple of questions I had. About the kernels, I haven’t chose any other one because I assumed there is an default one already in iAtkos, but maybe I should so please advise.

About installations of packages and stuff, is it possible to uninstall it?, for example that wireless driver I installed how do I remove it so I can try to aim for the right drivers without reinstalling the whole distro. After installation of the Sigmatel drivers I boot to the safe mode and sound doesn’t work. Videos, some of the work some not, but this is a matter of codec’s so that can be resolved, but of course there is no sound. Does the safe mode disables the sound even when it is installed properly? Also when I installed the drivers from the DELL PACKAGE at the end it reminds me to “repair permissions” and I have no idea how to do so.

OK I think for now that is enough info to start, I hope somebody can help me with going threw the drivers installation process, so I can run my LEO without the safe mode, or simply give an opinion. Some of the questions might be to simple to ask, but I hope you guys won’t find it irritating :] I learned a lot from this forum for past couple of days, but as a OSX NOOB there is as much as I can find on my own. Because even to find something you have to have some knowledge where and what to look for :] So please advise.

Regards

Yes install iDeneb and then install the drivers from the post installer. Hopefully someone else can help you with the partitioning because I installed on a blank drive so I don't have experience with the dual boot procedure.

Thx, thx so much. Really. U are very kind.

I hope that someone help me for the dualboot

For dual boot I used Acronis OS selector, also in the Acronis package there is a partitioning tool very easy to use. Of course you have to partition it from windows. Also I used Gparted Live cd to change booting sequence of the disk. In my case

after installing iAtkos 10.5.5 booting is automaticly changed for the Mac partition.

have anybody here has iAtkos 10.5.5 installed, I am still searching for some answers to my error, I can't

boot otherwise than in safe mode. What instalation options are usualy standart for dells?

Now couple of questions I had. About the kernels, I haven't chose any other one because I assumed there is an default one already in iAtkos, but maybe I should so please advise.

About installations of packages and stuff, is it possible to uninstall it?, for example that wireless driver I installed how do I remove it so I can try to aim for the right drivers without reinstalling the whole distro. After installation of the Sigmatel drivers I boot to the safe mode and sound doesn't work. Videos, some of the work some not, but this is a matter of codec's so that can be resolved, but of course there is no sound. Does the safe mode disables the sound even when it is installed properly? Also when I installed the drivers from the DELL PACKAGE at the end it reminds me to "repair permissions" and I have no idea how to do so.

OK I think for now that is enough info to start, I hope somebody can help me with going threw the drivers installation process, so I can run my LEO without the safe mode, or simply give an opinion. Some of the questions might be to simple to ask, but I hope you guys won't find it irritating :] I learned a lot from this forum for past couple of days, but as a OSX NOOB there is as much as I can find on my own. Because even to find something you have to have some knowledge where and what to look for :] So please advise.

Regards

Hi,

There are three ways to repair permissions. One is using "Disk Utility" located in "Utilities" folder. The other two is using command in terminal:-

a. diskutil repairPermissions /

or (example)

b. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

To execute above commands, you will need admin/root privilege. Therefore, you need to run "sudo -s" before executing those commands. For example:-

sudo -s

diskutil repairPermissions /

or

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

I much prefer the first two, it much cleaner. But the last one much useful if you are in single-user mode (boot with -s).

Have you tried booting with -f? It will force load all kext. If it is not working too, you can try eliminating the possibilities. Base on your post, you can try to "quarantine" airport kext file. You can achieve this by moving that kext to another location outside extensions folder, like this:-

sudo -s

mkdir /Backup

mv /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext /Backup

Reboot after that. Don't forget to boot with -f -v. If it working you should be able to boot normally (without -x or -f).

Good luck. ;)

kizwan

heh well all these commands look kind of complicated but I will definetly try it out. I am at work now so probably i will post my results later on.

And what about that NTFS 2.1 error, is that becuase i didn't install some driver or he tries to read my other partitions?

When I get home I have to install Leo (iAtkos 5i) once again anyhow so perhaps you can instruct me with which options and drivers should I choose, so I will get rid of the problems in a first place :]

Anyhow, thanks for reply!!, can't wait to try it out!

Oh yeah and I forgot about the Kernels, should i leave the default one in iAtkos (which is TOH I think) or should I install others.

While I was searching threw DELL related posts, lot of people have vanilla, which is unmodified kernel.

For dual boot I used Acronis OS selector, also in the Acronis package there is a partitioning tool very easy to use. Of course you have to partition it from windows. Also I used Gparted Live cd to change booting sequence of the disk. In my case

after installing iAtkos 10.5.5 booting is automaticly changed for the Mac partition.

have anybody here has iAtkos 10.5.5 installed, I am still searching for some answers to my error, I can't

boot otherwise than in safe mode. What instalation options are usualy standart for dells?

Thx for reply.

I'll use iDeneb on a 250 HD partitioned. 120 XP - 100 Leopard - 30 for ghost.

And I'll serve to me to have a dual boot XP \\ Leopard.

Someone know if I need to have a software to make a dual boot like it??

And what about that NTFS 2.1 error, is that becuase i didn't install some driver or he tries to read my other partitions?

Oh yeah and I forgot about the Kernels, should i leave the default one in iAtkos (which is TOH I think) or should I install others.

While I was searching threw DELL related posts, lot of people have vanilla, which is unmodified kernel.

Yeah, it kinda look complicated. :thumbsdown_anim: I don't know what the problem with that NTFS 2.1 error but commonly you will see this message in verbose mode if you have NTFS partition on your harddisk.

If you want to reinstall, it is a good choice. I would suggest you to try install vanilla kernel. If vanilla kernel cause problem, you can install Voodoo kernel, if it included in iATKOS DVD. I only have iATKOS v4.0i. Most distro that I use install vanilla kernel by default if you not select any kernel during install. As for drivers, try not to select any driver for wired & wireless device. I have Dell wireless 1395 & I use vanilla kext, just need to add my device id. As for your sound, go with AppleAzalia audio driver if the driver for your particular soundcard is not included. Of course, you need to select ICHx driver if it included. For SMBIOS, I prefer AppleSMBIOSEFI or SMBIOSResolver. If IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext included, go with it (for Disabler.kext replacement). For your video, go with NVdarwin if it included, if not go with NVinject.

Good luck. :(

kizwan