Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

First I want to thank solotone.

I have 6400 with X1400. I have iAtkos 5i, Leo 10.5.5.

I tried package selecting

- Ati X1400 (1280x800)

- Lid Sleep

- 9400's Trackpad Scrolling

- Media Keys Enabler

- Dual Core Kernel 10.5.5

- Ati X1400 didnt work. Also started get to mouse artifacts.

- Lid Sleep - iTunes pauses, wireless disconnects etc but display doesnt go off.

- Trackpad Scrolling. I was able to scroll pages by tapping touchpad and move. But then I realized there is no action at the edges of touchpad. So i installed the previous kext.

- Media Buttons didnt worked. Only change is I can use forward button only when Itunes is on the screen. Mute, Volume Up and Down buttons was working already.

- Dual Core Kernel worked perfectly..

Have I done something wrong? Do I have to install some SMBIOS or something?

First I want to thank solotone.

I have 6400 with X1400. I have iAtkos 5i, Leo 10.5.5.

I tried package selecting

- Ati X1400 (1280x800)

- Lid Sleep

- 9400's Trackpad Scrolling

- Media Keys Enabler

- Dual Core Kernel 10.5.5

- Ati X1400 didnt work. Also started get to mouse artifacts.

- Lid Sleep - iTunes pauses, wireless disconnects etc but display doesnt go off.

- Trackpad Scrolling. I was able to scroll pages by tapping touchpad and move. But then I realized there is no action at the edges of touchpad. So i installed the previous kext.

- Media Buttons didnt worked. Only change is I can use forward button only when Itunes is on the screen. Mute, Volume Up and Down buttons was working already.

- Dual Core Kernel worked perfectly..

Have I done something wrong? Do I have to install some SMBIOS or something?

I do not think you did anything wrong. your system is booting OK. That's the key. the mouse artifacts are a pita of course, hopefully somebody with an atix1400 can help you with that.

- lid sleep, not sure. clam shell sleep always worked fine on mine. screen turns black...

- trackpad on mine the entire surface is for scrolling. it's a matter of pressure which decides what is happening. works perfectly fine. this procedure ignores the edges I am pretty sure.

- media buttons what you have is all you get. same here. known

- I think atix1400 is toughest for hackintoshs. I've seen several people switch over to nvidia via ebay.

good luck

I can be contented with mouse artifacts if I can do 1280x800. But I couldnt do it too. I think i will install a lower version. (like 10.5.3 or stg)

I will try lid sleep thing again. I want screen turn black.

If I were in US, i can get a 7300 but, it is a bit hard to find it here. (Turkey)

Thanks for your answer..

I do not think you did anything wrong. your system is booting OK. That's the key. the mouse artifacts are a pita of course, hopefully somebody with an atix1400 can help you with that.

I can be contented with mouse artifacts if I can do 1280x800. But I couldnt do it too. I think i will install a lower version. (like 10.5.3 or stg)

I will try lid sleep thing again. I want screen turn black.

If I were in US, i can get a 7300 but, it is a bit hard to find it here. (Turkey)

Thanks for your answer..

there are people on ebay who ship to Europe. They may not have that stated in their shipping notes and it's always a good idea to ask. I have had people ask me and even though I list only US I have no problem to ship to other countries as well. you may also have a friend in the US who would be willing to buy and ship it for you...

Good to know. Guess I play the waiting game again :(

yes, especially if you read here:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1219

lots of the problems posted sound too familiar.

and this

Use pacifist to extract them from installer.

Tried that, kept getting errors! And no matter what i select something about this post installer kills my install. Get kernel panic due to an acpi error after reboot. Have had to reinstall 4 times now just trying to get sound working.

I bought things on ebay. I get them without problem, but this time i am not sure if mac worth it. It's still just a hobby for me, not a requirement..

Also a part of me says, sell your notebook and get a macbook :wacko:

there are people on ebay who ship to Europe. They may not have that stated in their shipping notes and it's always a good idea to ask. I have had people ask me and even though I list only US I have no problem to ship to other countries as well. you may also have a friend in the US who would be willing to buy and ship it for you...

Hi,

I have an Inspirion d520 hackintosh that I traded for, so I'm a total newb at this. It was pre-set up.

It's running iDeneb 10.5.5.

Anyway, when it booted it had a generic blue screen, so on boot I had to change screen resolutions for it to show my desktop background and enable expose.

I thought if I installed the intel gma 950 drivers from the dell laptops post installer, it would make it operate more normally.

Unfortunately now it shows only one screen resolution in the monitors control panel (1024x768) and doesn't the gui is much more pokey than before. VLC is jerky now where it was totally smooth before. Huge bummer, I just want to watch smooth video.

How do I restore it to the way it was? The intel gma 950 drivers were the only thing I selected in the install so it should be easy to restore, yes? Sorry about the whole newb thing, I should have just initiated a software freeze and not messed with it

edit: and thanks in advance for the help I know that the newb thing is a pita around here

Hi,

I have an Inspirion d520 hackintosh that I traded for, so I'm a total newb at this. It was pre-set up.

It's running iDeneb 10.5.5.

Anyway, when it booted it had a generic blue screen, so on boot I had to change screen resolutions for it to show my desktop background and enable expose.

I thought if I installed the intel gma 950 drivers from the dell laptops post installer, it would make it operate more normally.

Unfortunately now it shows only one screen resolution in the monitors control panel (1024x768) and doesn't the gui is much more pokey than before.

How do I restore it to the way it was? The intel gma 950 drivers were the only thing I selected in the install so it should be easy to restore, yes? Sorry about the whole newb thing, I should have just initiated a software freeze and not messed with it

edit: and thanks in advance for the help I know that the newb thing is a pita around here

Hi,

Try this driver for your GMA950. This package will install Natit.kext to your Extensions folder. I just create the installer for this driver. Let me know if it work for you. I have tested it on my laptop (JaS 10.5.4 updated to 10.5.5). However I will not responsible if something wrong happen. :)

kizwan

GMA950.Natit.Driver.zip

Hi,

Try this driver for your GMA950. This package will install Natit.kext to your Extensions folder. I just create the installer for this driver. Let me know if it work for you. I have tested it on my laptop (JaS 10.5.4 updated to 10.5.5). However I will not responsible if something wrong happen. :)

kizwan

Thank you for responding so quickly, but I don't want to be a guinea pig!! Has anybody else tried this driver? Can you point me to some threads with a similar set up?

First, kudos to Sonotone and others for taking the pain out of getting Dell laptops fully working by us noobs.

The post installer has helped me get x3100 full-res graphics (with one hitch,) Sigmatel 9205 sound, Dell 1395 wireless and two finger scrolling (sort of) working on my Dell D630. A few questions though. First, when booting the sleep display trick seems to work and moving the mouse brings up the screen, but the desktop is missing. I get a generic blue background and no desktop icons. I have to switch display resolutions and the desktop appears, at which point I switch back. Anyone else seen this and know of a solution?

Two finger scrolling actually works with one-finger, which makes it sort of useless because navigating with the trackpad attempts to scroll in any window you cross over.

Lid sleep doesn't work for me. In fact, sleep doesn't work at all. The display goes blank, but power remains on and the system appears to be operational underneath the blank screen. Can't really tell what it's doing though and the only thing I can do at that point is power cycle. Anyone had success in getting full sleep/wake to work on a D630?

I have exactly same issues what you have. I tried many diffent methods but no way. And also, I couldnt find any solution for external monitor. When I try sllepo trick, external monitor doesnt work. But when you use VESA standart VGA drivers, external monitor works.

I hate 965 chipset problems, hmm sorry and also x3100 driver problem. Anybody can find the best way to see native resoslution with external display??

thanks.

Magic

edit2: had some time and tried it anyways. no luck in installing though. got kp upon boot. was only able to boot into safe mode. replaced a number of kexts (System and seatbelt) but no luck to get the system going. Went back to my 10.5.5 for now. hope for a new voodoo kernel that allows for "careless" upgrade :)

edit3: with every possible solutions thrown out in the different threads I tried a couple more times. no matter what I tried, the only way for me to boot into the system was in safe mode. always got kps (three different kernels tried, voodoo, patched 10.5.5 and vanilla 10.5.6, always with appropriate system.kext)

was finally able to install this. I had retail 10.5.5 with voodoo kernel and netkas' new pcefi9 installed with extra extensions from sonotone's dell patcher.

note: I had to open applications for repair beforehand because after the update installer was done and the system ready to be restarted I was not able to open any applications. I think that I was not able to install this before and got all kinds of kps because I did not have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from 10.5.5 present. noticeable to me is that e.g. MS Word 08 opens faster than before, otherwise it appears to be pretty much the same as before.

1) downloaded 372mb update

2) deleted IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext (xnu) to make sure I have no problems with that

3) collected 10.5.5 kexts for repair

AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, seatbelt.kext, System.kext

4) opened up kexthelper and put all the above kexts in there, input password so that it's ready to install kexts

5) opened diskutility, pointed to leopard drive so it's ready to click repair permissions

6) installed update to get ready to restart message

7) installed above kexts with kexthelper

8) repaired permissions of osx partition

9) restarted with the installer

10) it booted twice then back into system. Everything running fine so far. I can mount dmg files, both cores are working (thanks to voodoo kernel), sound is working, time machine and wireless are working. Deep sleep is still working (thanks to netkas). full graphics capabilities. no itunes or other mouse lag issues. About this Mac works fine.

will check speedstep next...

edit1: superhai's speedstep is working. xnu's most recent IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext.1.4.5 breaks the system (kps on boot).

edit2: use this to get the trackpad pref pane back into system preference

Hello all,

I've installed idened on my M1530 and the dell package 0.35b : 'everything' works fine but :

- cd drive is not recognized

- i've got no sound (although with previous install there was sound...)

Can i solve those problems ?

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

kizwan

Ok, so I was your guinea pig. Still has the generic blue desktop, and video acceleration is poor for me. Jerky screensavers, slight stutter in VLC. No ability to calibrate the screen in the monitors control panel.

According to OSX86 Tools, it's actually the " Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller"

Ok, so I was your guinea pig. Still has the generic blue desktop, and video acceleration is poor for me. Jerky screensavers, slight stutter in VLC. No ability to calibrate the screen in the monitors control panel.

According to OSX86 Tools, it's actually the " Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller"

Hi,

I have the same hardware & I originally create that package because JaS 10.5.4 did not include driver for GMA950. I kinda inject the Natit.kext & that package to JaS 10.5.4 iso. I will try to investigate what is the problem for you. From your previous post, you did mention that you did run post-installer to get your GMA950 working but it failed. I was wondering if any of this kext has been changed with patched kext:-

bash-3.2# ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/ | grep 950

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 6 2008 AppleIntelGMA950.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 6 2008 AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 6 2008 AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 6 2008 AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

bash-3.2# ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/ | grep IntelIntegrated

drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Dec 6 17:18 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

bash-3.2#

I will try to examine the postpatch script & will let you know what I found.

EDIT: Which post-installer did you use? Is it Build 0.35b (BETA)? Can you tell me what/which did you select for GMA950? I only add Natit.kext to Extensions folder to get my GMA950 working where other kexts (AppleIntelGMA950* & AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext) are vanilla.

kizwan

sorry for answering this late. I had a similar problem after 10.5.5 retail install with my gma950. not only did I have only one resolution but I had no quartz extreme nor core image. you may have the same problem and therefore experience jerkiness. check "about this mac" and "more info" under graphics/displays and see what it shows. I installed sonotone's patcher with gma950 (which actually use drivers from my installation, hehe), but no luck. Only when I forced the display into the correct resolution, I got everything back, full graphic capabilities. add this line to your com.apple.Boot.plist. you find this under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. You can copy the file to your desktop, edit it with textedit and then copy it back to the original location with admin rights (it will ask you for permission). I think the natit stuff only works for non dell notebooks from past experience.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>"Graphics Mode"=1280x800x32@60"</string>

hope this simple workaround will work for you too. please make a backup of the com.apple.Boot.plist file before you start.

good luck

sorry for answering this late. I had a similar problem after 10.5.5 retail install with my gma950. not only did I have only one resolution but I had no quartz extreme nor core image. you may have the same problem and therefore experience jerkiness. check "about this mac" and "more info" under graphics/displays and see what it shows. I installed sonotone's patcher with gma950 (which actually use drivers from my installation, hehe), but no luck. Only when I forced the display into the correct resolution, I got everything back, full graphic capabilities. add this line to your com.apple.Boot.plist. you find this under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. You can copy the file to your desktop, edit it with textedit and then copy it back to the original location with admin rights (it will ask you for permission). I think the natit stuff only works for non dell notebooks from past experience.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>"Graphics Mode"=1280x800x32@60"</string>

hope this simple workaround will work for you too. please make a backup of the com.apple.Boot.plist file before you start.

good luck

Thanks for that, the only question I have before I do this is that the native resolution for this display is 1024x768, would I simply substitute that in the snippet you posted? (and in system profiler it says core image: software, quartz extreme not supported, quartz gl is)

Thanks for that, the only question I have before I do this is that the native resolution for this display is 1024x768, would I simply substitute that in the snippet you posted? (and in system profiler it says core image: software, quartz extreme not supported, quartz gl is)

hmm, sorry, if your native screen resolution is already met then I don't think this method will work. worth a try anyway. and yes, you just replace the numbers with your native res.

Hi,

I have the same hardware & I originally create that package because JaS 10.5.4 did not include driver for GMA950. I kinda inject the Natit.kext & that package to JaS 10.5.4 iso. I will try to investigate what is the problem for you. From your previous post, you did mention that you did run post-installer to get your GMA950 working but it failed. I was wondering if any of this kext has been changed with patched kext:-

I will try to examine the postpatch script & will let you know what I found.

EDIT: Which post-installer did you use? Is it Build 0.35b (BETA)? Can you tell me what/which did you select for GMA950? I only add Natit.kext to Extensions folder to get my GMA950 working where other kexts (AppleIntelGMA950* & AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext) are vanilla.

kizwan

I used the Installer v1.3.1, and I selected the gma950 option, and nothing else. Hmmm, but when I look in the extensions folder these are what I find:

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

They're the wrong ones for this laptop I"m guessing.

also there are about 10 atiradeon kexts, bundles and drivers, can those be deleted?

Thanks kizwan and the great deciever, you guys are great