Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

I used the Installer v1.3.1, and I selected the gma950 option, and nothing else. Hmmm, but when I look in the extensions folder these are what I find:

Thanks kizwan and the great deciever, you guys are great

now I am confused. you should certainly see these kexts in there:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext

AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

the first four on my system are dated July 3 2008

if you don't have them it seems that they got deleted? I'd be surprised if you can boot into your system without them though. It is not necessary and not recommended to delete kexts for other graphic cards. they will not interfere

I used the Installer v1.3.1, and I selected the gma950 option, and nothing else. Hmmm, but when I look in the extensions folder these are what I find:

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

They're the wrong ones for this laptop I"m guessing.

also there are about 10 atiradeon kexts, bundles and drivers, can those be deleted?

Thanks kizwan and the great deciever, you guys are great

You need to restore/install the missing kexts & bundle. The fastest way is to copy AppleIntelGMA950* kexts from other 10.5.5 system to your system or have you tried the great deceiver method, adding "Graphics Mode" in com.apple.Boot.plist?

I'm crying,

is that true? No one can help me and my Dell Insprion E1505, ATI X1300 mobility, any kext can work in resolution 1280x800?

please help me or tell me it's impossible to use my VGA card in MacOS.

Many thanks,

sorry, all I can say is make sure you have it exactly in your boot.plist as shown.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>"Graphics Mode"=1280x800x32@60"</string>

sorry, all I can say is make sure you have it exactly in your boot.plist as shown.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>"Graphics Mode"=1280x800x32@60"</string>

I did but nothing happened

thanks for help but I think the ATI X1300 mobility can't work in Mac OSX 86, may be I have to buy a new VGA card which supported by Mac :P

PS: Oh my God! you're using the same Dell laptop model to me, but my VGA is difference

I did but nothing happened

thanks for help but I think the ATI X1300 mobility can't work in Mac OSX 86, may be I have to buy a new VGA card which supported by Mac ;)

PS: Oh my God! you're using the same Dell laptop model to me, but my VGA is difference

sorry it doesn't work. was a tiny chance there. at least you can change your graphics card. I cannot because mine is onboard (intel). buy yourself an nvidia go 7300 on ebay for less than $30 and you will be in osx heaven.

tgd

Just updated the installer.

Testing is very limited, that's why support is very minimalistic now.

Also, since i've switched to packagemaker 3 (big mistake), i've meet lot of problems (about permissions and files swapping) with installer. I need to check almost the entire package and files each time i want to update it, and it's a very long process.

And i don't want want to start again from scratch with an other packager, can't find energy for this.

Just updated the installer.

Testing is very limited, that's why support is very minimalistic now.

Also, since i've switched to packagemaker 3 (big mistake), i've meet lot of problems (about permissions and files swapping) with installer. I need to check almost the entire package and files each time i want to update it, and it's a very long process.

And i don't want want to start again from scratch with an other packager, can't find energy for this.

thank you for your work sonotone. I will try this when I find some spare time to try it on my extra hdd.

thanks again and happy holidays.

those of you with E1505 and gma950. if you loose hotplug USB after upgrade to 10.5.6, try to delete/disable AppleHPET and AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. it worked for me (according to slice recommendation). Note that this only works for gma950 100% because we don't have sleep mode 3, which you loose on other hardware (your usb won't wake up the system anymore).

tgd

just noticed something odd after 10.5.6. thought I figured this out already, but that wouldn't be fun, would it? I loose my fingerscroll when I unplug my mouse. at the same time the mouse tab under system preferences disappears as well. the trackpad prefpane is still there but fingerscrolling stops working. when I plug my mouse back in everything works just like before and the mouse tab comes back...

anybody else has this and may have a solution?

edit1: ok, just used my 10.5.5 keyboard prefpane and left the edited trackpad prefpane from 10.5.6 in there. fingerscrolling stays on now after unplugging my mouse.

thanks

Does this installer work with the XPS M1210?

I'd say it should work as long as you apply the correct hardware patches. other things are generic (e.g. pcefi, dual core kernel...) and should work on any system. if some of your hardware is not working as it's supposed to, apply the patch with only one item checked at a time - better for error tracking.

Salut Sonotone,

Nice to see you added Audio and Ethernet kexts for Dell Studio Laptops in the V1.4

Thanks, we were talking about making a specific post installer for this lapy, but if you integrate the support in yours, it is better...

Cheers

First and foremost... Thanks Sonotone for all your hard work... with out your package I prolly would of never gotten as far as I did...

.... but if anyone can help please do... I just installed 10.5.6 combo update.. from ideneb 10.5.5... then I used the post installer from sonotone and got the dual core working again.. and the SD card reader.... but now the keyboard, trackpad, and media buttons don't work... any help would be appreciated... I tried the hacked apple ps/2 drivers and did not work... you can see what I got in my config.... again thanks in advanced..

First and foremost... Thanks Sonotone for all your hard work... with out your package I prolly would of never gotten as far as I did...

.... but if anyone can help please do... I just installed 10.5.6 combo update.. from ideneb 10.5.5... then I used the post installer from sonotone and got the dual core working again.. and the SD card reader.... but now the keyboard, trackpad, and media buttons don't work... any help would be appreciated... I tried the hacked apple ps/2 drivers and did not work... you can see what I got in my config.... again thanks in advanced..

i totally agree and want to thank sonotone for the effort on the post installer. i've been looking at it and i see how much you put into it. thanks for all your hard work sonotone!!!

to respond to your issue here, maybe it is like mine. i got everything working, but had to include the acpips2nub kext. i used eureka's b5 version from here. curious if it works for you too. hope you get it workin.

i totally agree and want to thank sonotone for the effort on the post installer. i've been looking at it and i see how much you put into it. thanks for all your hard work sonotone!!!

to respond to your issue here, maybe it is like mine. i got everything working, but had to include the acpips2nub kext. i used eureka's b5 version from here. curious if it works for you too. hope you get it workin.

in my case replacing the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the one from 10.5.5 fixed the issues.

in my case replacing the AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the one from 10.5.5 fixed the issues.

The "clean" way is to install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and remove ACPIPS2Nub.kext if it's installed

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=40354

Salut Sonotone,

Nice to see you added Audio and Ethernet kexts for Dell Studio Laptops in the V1.4

Thanks, we were talking about making a specific post installer for this lapy, but if you integrate the support in yours, it is better...

Cheers

found kexts through your guide :)

Thanks for the help guys... now I got the Keyboard, trackpad, and media buttons working.. but my sound don't work anymore... probably did not work after the combo update just did not notice it with everything else i was working on... I reinstalled drivers from the post installer.. but to no avail... any suggestions?

Hello,

Im waiting for my Dell XPS 1530 , and i Know that my wifi card it' s an Intel 4965.

If I understand , my wifi connection don't work on Leopard 10.5.5.

Could you tell me what kind of USB key or PCMCIA card i have to find . I'm only interested by Wifi N stuffs.

Thanks for your answers

Gilite

Hello,

Im waiting for my Dell XPS 1530 , and i Know that my wifi card it' s an Intel 4965.

If I understand , my wifi connection don't work on Leopard 10.5.5.

Could you tell me what kind of USB key or PCMCIA card i have to find . I'm only interested by Wifi N stuffs.

Thanks for your answers

Gilite

Well your 1530 will not have PCMCIA it will have a cardbus slot... and apple makes a usb wifi card now I think... but you could also change out your internal card with the Dell 1505 Draft N and it works with OSX.

edit: Apple makes a usb ethernet not wifi.. sorry... but I know I have a dlink wifi card that works with Mac OS X I used it on my G3 iMac but its only 802.11b so that would not do you any good... as you want N.

Well your 1530 will not have PCMCIA it will have a cardbus slot... and apple makes a usb wifi card now I think... but you could also change out your internal card with the Dell 1505 Draft N and it works with OSX.

edit: Apple makes a usb ethernet not wifi.. sorry... but I know I have a dlink wifi card that works with Mac OS X I used it on my G3 iMac but its only 802.11b so that would not do you any good... as you want N.

Thanks MoonDogg for your fast answer, i'm looking for a Dell 1505 N on ebay. Does he works from the box or i have to modify some kext?

And what about usb wifi key? Anybody for a working model on leopard 10.5.5?

thanks for your help.

Gilite

Thanks MoonDogg for your fast answer, i'm looking for a Dell 1505 N on ebay. Does he works from the box or i have to modify some kext?

And what about usb wifi key? Anybody for a working model on leopard 10.5.5?

thanks for your help.

Gilite

The 1505 works out the box.. check out macgirl's thread about it.. she also has some suggestions on usb wifi sticks..

MacGirl's Thread

Also here are some ebay links to some 1505's

Ebay 1505 BIN $39.99 + $9.95 S/H

Ebay 1505 $19.99 + $12.00 S/H No Bids yet...

Thanks for the help guys... now I got the Keyboard, trackpad, and media buttons working.. but my sound don't work anymore... probably did not work after the combo update just did not notice it with everything else i was working on... I reinstalled drivers from the post installer.. but to no avail... any suggestions?

UPDATE: I got it working... I replaced the AppleHDA.kext with the one from my 10.5.5 installation and it works like a charm... even the mic in works now... So i now have a completely functional HackBook Pro :( except for all the sleep functions but I never used that when I used winblowz either... Thanks for everyones help...

Update 1/4/09 : Mic in is not exactly working... it works when you put headphones in it and talk into the headset (if you where ever a DJ you would know what I mean) but when you put a mic in it it does not work..... any suggestions?