Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

Thx for reply.

I'll use iDeneb on a 250 HD partitioned. 120 XP - 100 Leopard - 30 for ghost.

And I'll serve to me to have a dual boot XP \\ Leopard.

Someone know if I need to have a software to make a dual boot like it??

I guess my post wasn't clear enough

Use Acronis OS selector

It is simple and fast to install

Yeah, it kinda look complicated. :thumbsdown_anim: I don't know what the problem with that NTFS 2.1 error but commonly you will see this message in verbose mode if you have NTFS partition on your harddisk.

If you want to reinstall, it is a good choice. I would suggest you to try install vanilla kernel. If vanilla kernel cause problem, you can install Voodoo kernel, if it included in iATKOS DVD. I only have iATKOS v4.0i. Most distro that I use install vanilla kernel by default if you not select any kernel during install. As for drivers, try not to select any driver for wired & wireless device. I have Dell wireless 1395 & I use vanilla kext, just need to add my device id. As for your sound, go with AppleAzalia audio driver if the driver for your particular soundcard is not included. Of course, you need to select ICHx driver if it included. For SMBIOS, I prefer AppleSMBIOSEFI or SMBIOSResolver. If IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext included, go with it (for Disabler.kext replacement). For your video, go with NVdarwin if it included, if not go with NVinject.

Good luck. :(

kizwan

Cool, I think that is enough info for me to try it out tonight, thanks a million for all those tips. I will post the results ASAP.

Guys I'm having a horrible time trying to figure this out... SOOooo here is the problem....

I had a working system at 10.5.5 with my E1505. Everything worked. EVERYTHING. Then I attempted to install 10.5.6 with no luck. I have my Time Machine backups on an external drive. I tried using the Kalyway install DVD to restore the Time Machine backup. NO LUCK! It just freezes when I try to continue. So I used the Ideneb DVD which worked! But after it completes the restore and restarts. I get into a reboot loop. It goes to the Dell logo then right after for a split second it flashes an underscore and then a bunch of numbers that I can't make out then it restarts again and it never gets to the darwin boot screen. When I boot with the Kalyway DVD I'm able to get it to boot all the way. So does anybody know how I can restore my backup where I wouldnt need to do that anymore?

So I was getting annoyed of this and decided to do a fresh install to see if I can get up to 10.5.6 (I wouldn't care even if it is 10.5.5). It has been several months since I installed everything and got everything completely working so my memories on going about it is a little fuzzy. I was going to create a tutorial for this post on how I got everything to work but I lagged on it and just put it off. If I only did it so I would remember what to do now. So here is what has happened with that so far...it's a fairly dummied down version for noobs as well

Here are my specs for my Dell E1505

T7200 2.14gHz

4GB RAM

Dell Wireless 1390 Card (If you have the intel card BUY THIS ONE OFF EBAY FOR ABOUT $15 don't ask why just do) (I had to swap mine out also)

NVidia 7300 GS 256 MB (AGAIN IF YOU HAVE THE ATI CARD BUY THIS ONE OFF EBAY FOR ABOUT $20-40) (Swapped mine out as well)

Sigmatel 9200 Sound Card

WSXGA+ LCD Screen

1. Boot from Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. (Takes a while to load up...be patient)

2. Select your language when it loads up.

3. Go to Utilities and open up Disk Utility.

a. select the hard drive you want to install OSX on

b. go under the erase tab

c. make sure the volume format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

d. give the hard drive a name

e. erase!

f. close Disk Utility

4. Click continue...agree...select hard drive for the install....continue again....

5. DO NOT CLICK INSTALL YET!

6. Click Customize.

a. remove additional fonts if it is not needed...same for language translations

b. under Kernels choose kernel_vanilla_92

c. under Graphics Drivers choose NVInjectGO

d. under Audio Drivers choose sigmatel_9200_inspiron_9400

e. deselect all the network drivers (you will install these later)

f. choose the third party apps you want to install

g. leave SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC unselected

h. under Patches choose boot_with_cpus=1_flag, TimeMachineFix & PowerManagement_bundle (leave all others as is)

i. click done

7. NOW you can click install. Then click skip (no use in checking the DVD) Grab a coke, smoke a cigarette, run some errands and come back in about 30-40 mins.

8. DONE? NICE...Now restart...or if you come back to late it'll restart for you. Watch the cool intro movie.

9. Go through the welcome screen and registration process. Enter in false information if your iffy about putting your real info on there...but I don't think it matters at all.

10. Use OSx86 Tools to install the NVinject.kext I provided. (This will enable VGA output support)

BUT FIRST REMOVE THE OLD NVINJECTGO.KEXT

a. open terminal, and type

sudo -s

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext

exit

b. quit terminal

Now use OSx86 Tools to install.

Restart

11. TADA!!! Now your VGA output works!

12. OK continuing on...Install Kalyway UpdateCombo 10.5.3...DO NOT RESTART YET...just leave that window open

13. Now open the Kalyway 10.5.3 Kernel installer and install the right kernel. Now close that and go back to the other window to restart.

14 . While it is restarting...when it says "Hit any key to choose startup options" or something like that hit a key and type "update -v" and press enter

15. After you boot up...Open up Sonotone's Dell Laptop Post Installer V1.3

a. under sound choose Sigmatel 9200 (this will get your sound to work)

b. under network choose Broadcom 440X (this will get your ethernet to work)

c. under AppleSMBIOS choose whichever you want your hackintosh to "be". I chose Macbook Pro

d. under Keyboard Layouts choose the one that applies

e. and now under Others choose Media Keys Enabler & Safe Updates, under DualCore Kernels choose 9.3 Kernel

f. open disk utility and repair permissions

g. restart. and then hit a key when it says to choose startup options. type in cpus=2 (this will enable dual core)

15. Now go to apple's website and search for the 10.5.4 update (not combo update) and download it. Install 10.5.4 using the installer. DON'T RESTART.

a. using Sonotone's Installer again install the DualCore Kernel that is 9.4

b. open disk utility and repair permissions

c. restart

17. Now go to apple's website again and search for the 10.5.5 update (not combo update) and download it. Install it using the installer.

this is where it DIES!

in the middle of the 10.5.5 install I get the screen that says you must hold the power button to shut down and restart

then after that it has something like this...I got this from another post.....

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2E60CC93): "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-39.2/pmThread.c:100

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x2e637f18 : 0x12b0fa (0x459234 0x2e637f4c 0x133243 0x0)

0x2e637f68 : 0x2e60cc93 (0x2e60f9d8 0x0 0xbbdb338c 0x4)

0x2e637fc8 : 0x19eccc (0x0 0x0 0x1a20b5 0x3a702e8)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement(59.0.1)@0x2e606000->0x2e61ffff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

9G55

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep 3 11:29:43 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacBookPro1,2 (Mac-F42DBEC8) "

So anybody want to shed some light on anything I did wrong. And maybe I can finish my tutorial for the people who don't have a clue on how to get started?

I guess my post wasn't clear enough

Sure, because my english is very bad :idea: Im sorry for this :thumbsup_anim:

Well, I'll try with Acronis.

Im trying many informations before, for have less problems after or during installation. :blink:

17. Now go to apple's website again and search for the 10.5.5 update (not combo update) and download it. Install it using the installer.

this is where it DIES!

in the middle of the 10.5.5 install I get the screen that says you must hold the power button to shut down and restart

I think your problem is the common appleintelcpumanagement.kext that gets installed and kills your system. before you run the update installer you need to run this script that prevents it from being installed. or follow Netkas' instructions. Also, please make a backup of your extension folder before the update. After the update you may need a couple to repair some hardware issues you may have.

Hey KIZWAN

Well thanks to your tips I managed to boot into leo without any flags.

For now I think the new OS is too new for me so I fell to confused, I am writing this thread from safari.

But still, there are some problems. During the reboot there was a problem with display, the screen went black.

After I rebooted with -f it helped and now it logs into leopard and works fine, I have several resolution options so I think it works good, but the dual screens don't work. Well I guess first of all I should cool down and try to get use to this system, because i don't even now how to start adding bookmarks in safari, and simple uninstalling things simply causes me confusion :] Oh and the sound still doesn't work. I found some apple HDPatcher v1.20 and so called linux dump file for my sigmatel 9205, doesn't work.

For now all this looks like I bit more then I could chew :]

Perhaps getting a proper mac is cheaper hehehehhe

I need some kind of a mac usage tutorial :D

But still, there are some problems. During the reboot there was a problem with display, the screen went black.

After I rebooted with -f it helped and now it logs into leopard and works fine, I have several resolution options so I think it works good, but the dual screens don't work. Well I guess first of all I should cool down and try to get use to this system, because i don't even now how to start adding bookmarks in safari, and simple uninstalling things simply causes me confusion :] Oh and the sound still doesn't work. I found some apple HDPatcher v1.20 and so called linux dump file for my sigmatel 9205, doesn't work.

Hi Twitch241,

Glad it work for you. :) Do you still need to boot with -f? Which one did you choose during installation for your video, NVdarwin or NVinject? About the dual screens issue, it maybe cause by the injector (NVdarwin or NVinject) not able to fully support the graphic card.

About the sound, is this the thread that you mention that may work for your card: [How To]Sigmatel 9205 sound ,e.g Dell 1520, How to get sound working! If you have AppleAzalia audio installed, we need to remove it. It will prevent patched (Sigmatel 9205) AppleHDA.kext from loading.

I'm going to show you how to remove AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from your extensions folder. I'm going to rename it instead. You need to use terminal. To open Terminal:-

a. click Finder, at the menu at the top of the screen click Go, click Utilities.

or

b. open mac partition, at left panel, click Application. In Application folder, scroll to the bottom & double-click Utilities folder.

Terminal program is located in Utilities folder. Open it and insert this command line-by-line, if it ask for password just put your password:-

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

mv AppleAzaliaAudio.kext AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.orig

exit

Close Terminal application and restart your computer. Don't forget to boot with -f. This will refresh the kext cache file (/System/Library/Extensions.mkext) which is necessary. You need to boot with -f only after doing some changes in Extensions folder (/System/Library/Extensions/).

Now we can proceed with how to patch AppleHDA.kext with Sigmatel 9205 (linux) dump file. Download all of the file to your Desktop. Just double-click any zip file to uncompress it.

1) Open Terminal application and insert this command line-by-line:-

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

mv AppleHDA.kext AppleHDA.orig1

exit

2) open Kext Helper b7 application

3) drag AppleHDA.kext to Kext Helper b7 window

4) put your password in password field and press enter. It should install AppleHDA.kext to your Extensions folder.

5) drag SigmaTel_9205.txt to AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 icon and it will ask your password.

Reboot your computer & don't forget to boot with -f. Let me know if it is working or not. If it is not working we maybe have to search other solution. Most of the time, AppleAzalia audio can get your sound partially working. By mean partially, only internal speaker working. I will give you other AppleAzalia audio driver if this workaround is not working.

If you follow exactly from top to bottom, you should not get into any problem. ;) Good luck. :)

EDIT: Revised & corrected on Thursday, January, 29, 2009 (9:39 AM).

kizwan

Hi Twitch241,

Glad it work for you. :) Do you still need to boot with -f? Which one did you choose during installation for your video, NVdarwin or NVinject? About the dual screens issue, it maybe cause by the injector (NVdarwin or NVinject) not able to fully support the graphic card.

Reboot your computer & don't forget to boot with -f. Let me know if it is working or not. If it is not working we maybe have to search other solution. Most of the time, AppleAzalia audio can get your sound partially working. By mean partially, only internal speaker working. I will give you other AppleAzalia audio driver if this workaround is not working.

If you follow exactly from top to bottom, you should not get into any problem. ;) Good luck. :)

kizwan

Hi Kizwan

Well yesterday I managed to install sound somehow !!!! During just custom googling the web I found some kind of a new package for DELL 0.2.3

or something, and I installed the sound from there (sigmatel 9205) and it worked just like that, even without rebooting. Problem is that before I tried to install sound with that appleHDA patch so maybe some files are corrupted now. I will definetly make use of those commands Kizwan for future, or will practice how to manage them so I can actually know what am I doing :] Some years ago I tried Linux because I kinda like to manage everything in commands and stuff, but after some time it got boring. With osx at least I can do that partially which is cool.

As far booting I don't have to boot now without any flags, I did it once after installing them video drivers. I still have some display blinking, mainly between the last comment of the darwin and booting into desktop, but it works after that. I chose NVinject, but also in my iAtkos DVD i have those EFI strings for model 8xxx, perhaps if I will install this, the dual displays will work? For me the dual display is very important because most

of the time my Dell is connected to the tv, and the TV is my primary desktop so that would make things much easier for me. Also is it possible to install those Distro DVD drivers after installing the OSX? or I would have to do everything from the beginning? But perhaps with the usage of the commands I can uninstall and then reinstall some other drivers. I will try to do so with the info you gave me.

Oh either line in or line out don't work in the sigmatel. During installation I checked to disable power management so I think thats why my shutdown and restart don't work, as oppose to the last installation when shut down worked.

So far I started to get used to the OSX environment, but there are some things that I dislike, or perhaps the don't work as they should because of the Hacintosh. Stuff like maximizing quicktime, it doesn't go full screen at all, also full screen for the webpage inst also a full screen like in windows for example, but i guess it is something to get used to, or find another program to customized it to my needs :]

OK So any more help and suggestions are more then welcome. During the week I don't have so much time to get busy with it, but the weekend is marked with the apple sign :] Tasks are to make graphics card and sound card to work perfectly fine :]

Tonight I will try to install sound again with those commands you gave me.

Thanks a million again Kizwan, for helping me to go threw this !!

As far booting I don't have to boot now without any flags, I did it once after installing them video drivers. I still have some display blinking, mainly between the last comment of the darwin and booting into desktop, but it works after that. I chose NVinject, but also in my iAtkos DVD i have those EFI strings for model 8xxx, perhaps if I will install this, the dual displays will work?

Also is it possible to install those Distro DVD drivers after installing the OSX? or I would have to do everything from the beginning? But perhaps with the usage of the commands I can uninstall and then reinstall some other drivers. I will try to do so with the info you gave me.

Oh either line in or line out don't work in the sigmatel. During installation I checked to disable power management so I think thats why my shutdown and restart don't work, as oppose to the last installation when shut down worked.

So far I started to get used to the OSX environment, but there are some things that I dislike, or perhaps the don't work as they should because of the Hacintosh. Stuff like maximizing quicktime, it doesn't go full screen at all, also full screen for the webpage inst also a full screen like in windows for example, but i guess it is something to get used to, or find another program to customized it to my needs :]

Hi Twitch241,

I don't know if EFI string can get the dual display working or not. You may tried it. ;) So, basically all of the drivers installed in this directory:-

/System/Library/Extensions/

You might want to try NVdarwin first before trying EFI. Please go to this URL to download NVdarwin package.

If you want to try NVdarwin or EFI strings for video make sure you "disable" NVinject first. The file is called:-

NVinject.kext

To "disable" it just rename it like I show you earlier. It very simple, just add .orig at the end of the filename.

Just double-click the package you downloaded to install NVdarwin. Select the appropriate driver for your card which is 512MB. After installation reboot your computer & make sure you boot with -f, just in case. Test if it fixed the dual screen functionality.

If you still have problem with NVdarwin, you may want to try EFI. Same procedure, you need to "disable" NVdarwin first. The NVdarwin filename is called:-

NVdarwin.kext

You can install drivers after you have finish install your OS X. Try put in your iATKOS v5.0i & navigate the content if it has this folder visible (use Finder - same as windows explorer in windows):-

System/Installation/Packages/

If it is visible you can try to locate EFI installation package in that folder (check in the sub folder too). I don't know what it name. If you're not sure let me know the name of the package & I'll try to guide you. The file name most probably start or contain with "EFI" word.

Let try this first. Other thing like sound & shutdown/restart problem, we will deal it later. And no rush, just take your time. :) Let me know if you need anything else. :)

EDIT: I will try to examine the Dell post install packages from this thread to see if it include drivers that suitable for your computer.

kizwan

Hi Twitch241,

Let try this first. Other thing like sound & shutdown/restart problem, we will deal it later. And no rush, just take your time. -_- Let me know if you need anything else. :)

kizwan

Awsome !!! I will keep you posted with my progress. Heh now I gotta print all these post of yours for a backup :]

Twitch

Hi All,

I'm on XPS M1530 running Kalyway 10.5.2. At this point following doesn't work :

- Sleep

- Tap/Scroll

- Built in microphone

These are really the only 3 things I would like to get to work. It would be good to be able to update to 10.5.6 too.

I tried post installer, installed the touchpad (M1530), sleep and safe updates drivers, fixed privileges with diskutil, and after reboot the mouse and keyboard didn't work. So I rebooted in safe mode and reverted to the original ApplePS2Controller. In addition I'm getting messages that some kexts were improperly installed and can not be used. It's been couple of weeks already since I started playing with Kalyway. Everytime I get this far ... Help!

Chris

Hi Kizwan

Well I just tried the commands, and I got a little bit confused. Since I never enterd a password for my account when I was asked for the password I just "entered". When I navigated to to folder you told me and typed in the commands, he told me that renaming the file.... not confirmed or soemthing. Well then I changed the password in system preferences for actually something so I can type in. Right now whenever I type in SUDO -S he asks for the password I type it in and then he goes to the bash3.2: or something when I type in the coomands at the time nothing happens, it says there is now such directory. I tried to do it several times but nothing happened even reboot doesnt help.

I figured I wlll reinstall everything yet again, so I will have a clear field to work. It is frustrating as hell, buuut baby steps :]

Hi Kizwan

Well I just tried the commands, and I got a little bit confused. Since I never enterd a password for my account when I was asked for the password I just "entered". When I navigated to to folder you told me and typed in the commands, he told me that renaming the file.... not confirmed or soemthing. Well then I changed the password in system preferences for actually something so I can type in. Right now whenever I type in SUDO -S he asks for the password I type it in and then he goes to the bash3.2: or something when I type in the coomands at the time nothing happens, it says there is now such directory. I tried to do it several times but nothing happened even reboot doesnt help.

I figured I wlll reinstall everything yet again, so I will have a clear field to work. It is frustrating as hell, buuut baby steps :]

Hi,

Yes you're right, after entering your password the prompt will change to "bash". There is no visual indicator when you execute the command, so it is ok, just continue. The folder & filename is case sensitive, meaning if the character is uppercase you need to enter uppercase letter. Which one did you try to execute? I will try to guide you.

kizwan :thumbsup_anim:

Hi,

Yes you're right, after entering your password the prompt will change to "bash". There is no visual indicator when you execute the command, so it is ok, just continue. The folder & filename is case sensitive, meaning if the character is uppercase you need to enter uppercase letter. Which one did you try to execute? I will try to guide you.

kizwan :D

Hi kizwan

Well I did as instructed, renamed and installed the NVdarwin kext, after connecting the cable from my computer to the tv, and then in DISPLAYS cliking DETECT DISPLAYS , everything goes black, and I cant see s...t :]

I will proceed with sound instalation and perhaps trying out others video drivers, any ideas kizwan?

heh this no idication in terminal of action is perfect idiotproof safety, heh I like this system already.

if you don't know what u are doing u just think it doesnt work :D

Interesting Video Display Issue.

I have noticed that when I'm in Mac i get "banding" and when in windows I don't. So its not the hardware. I'm using the nvinject driver.

A good example of this is hulu. When you go to the main page, there is a gray background where they display ads for some videos.

In Windows, it has a smooth gradient from dark gray to light. In Mac I get stripes of different shades of gray.

Anyone else seeing this?

Hi kizwan

Well I did as instructed, renamed and installed the NVdarwin kext, after connecting the cable from my computer to the tv, and then in DISPLAYS cliking DETECT DISPLAYS , everything goes black, and I cant see s...t :]

I will proceed with sound instalation and perhaps trying out others video drivers, any ideas kizwan?

heh this no idication in terminal of action is perfect idiotproof safety, heh I like this system already.

if you don't know what u are doing u just think it doesnt work :(

Hi Twitch241,

We continue with sound. Here I attached driver for AppleAzalia audio. Uncompressed it first & double-click it to install the driver. At least right know we try to get audio out working. Don't worry you're not going to use Terminal this time. :unsure: I already created a installer package for this driver. You should be fine. :censored2: After installation finish, reboot & make sure you boot with -f.

Good luck. :censored2:

kizwan

Azalia.Audio.Driver.zip

Hi Twitch241,

We continue with sound. Here I attached driver for AppleAzalia audio. Uncompressed it first & double-click it to install the driver. At least right know we try to get audio out working. Don't worry you're not going to use Terminal this time. :blink: I already created a installer package for this driver. You should be fine. :) After installation finish, reboot & make sure you boot with -f.

Good luck. :)

kizwan

Will do Kizwan, I have already installed the sound from the appleHDA package, but practicing some commands never hurt anybody, so I will disable it first. I think also I will install the PS/2 driver because without the dual screen it is very unconvienient for me to work with a usb keyboard on top of the laptop one :/ Dual screen is a must..

Ok I will post my porgress, most likely in the evening, or in the mornign tomorrow.

Hi Twitch241,

We continue with sound. Here I attached driver for AppleAzalia audio. Uncompressed it first & double-click it to install the driver. At least right know we try to get audio out working. Don't worry you're not going to use Terminal this time. ;) I already created a installer package for this driver. You should be fine. :) After installation finish, reboot & make sure you boot with -f.

Good luck. :)

kizwan

wow, I wish I had your patience. maybe you two should continue this in private messaging. it kinda gets cluttered here :)

wow, I wish I had your patience. maybe you two should continue this in private messaging. it kinda gets cluttered here ;)

It is really not so hard, just go back in time a little bit and remind yourself how others helped you in something you knew nothing about, yet you still tried get to know it. I think this could help you to be more patient. I think some people can also learn from this thread in the future, so unless you are not some kind of inpatient administrator I think we will be fine :]

Hi I have installed your Post Install application on my system Dell Insprion 1525 with the hardware I have, but only sound driver was detected and works. Maybe I should perform some additional steps can you help me?

My system:

Dell Insprion 1525

Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T5600, 1833 MHz

Intel GMA X3100

Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card

Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

SigmaTel STAC9228X @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller [b-0]

Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller

wow, I wish I had your patience. maybe you two should continue this in private messaging. it kinda gets cluttered here :wacko:

Yeah, I agree. :) @Twitch241, please PM me if you need anything else. This thread should be kept for issues regarding Dell Laptops Post-Installer only. :(

kizwan

It is really not so hard, just go back in time a little bit and remind yourself how others helped you in something you knew nothing about, yet you still tried get to know it. I think this could help you to be more patient. I think some people can also learn from this thread in the future, so unless you are not some kind of inpatient administrator I think we will be fine :]

I was merely making a suggestion to possibly make it easier for you and others :D . I am pretty patient :) and when I go back in time I remember that I used google a lot and found that there are a lot of Wikis out there for OSX on how to change system files, boot settings, use terminal.... anyhow - good luck :) .

Hi All,

I'm on XPS M1530 running Kalyway 10.5.2. At this point following doesn't work :

- Sleep

- Tap/Scroll

- Built in microphone

These are really the only 3 things I would like to get to work. It would be good to be able to update to 10.5.6 too.

I tried post installer, installed the touchpad (M1530), sleep and safe updates drivers, fixed privileges with diskutil, and after reboot the mouse and keyboard didn't work. So I rebooted in safe mode and reverted to the original ApplePS2Controller. In addition I'm getting messages that some kexts were improperly installed and can not be used. It's been couple of weeks already since I started playing with Kalyway. Everytime I get this far ... Help!

Chris

excellent post by InkBlot on how to upgrade from kalyway .2 to .6. Note that for some reason to get some of the kexts installed from sonotone's patcher you need to do it manually. all explained in that post.

Inspiron 6000 with the GMA950

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what the easiest version of osx to install? ill be dual booting with xp.

and i hate to ask, but does anyone want to give me any insight on how to include this dell tool to the

iso?

ive done a few of these, but my real problem here is that i have a dead dvd drive. id like to install from usb.

help, please?

Inspiron 6000 with the GMA950

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what the easiest version of osx to install? ill be dual booting with xp.

and i hate to ask, but does anyone want to give me any insight on how to include this dell tool to the

iso?

ive done a few of these, but my real problem here is that i have a dead dvd drive. id like to install from usb.

help, please?

Hi,

The easiest version of OS X to install is depend on your hardware compatibility. Base on your video card, I would say Kalyway 10.5.2. But the best version so far is iPC 10.5.6 & the reason I don't suggest this version because I don't like the driver for GMA950 it included.

The only tool that I know capable on copying the installation DVD to harddisk (external - with USB interface) partition (bootable) is Disk Utility. Since you don't have dvd drive, it will going difficult unless you found other tool that can do the same thing.

Good luck. :(

kizwan