Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

I am having a problem tring to get this to work. This is my setup:

Dell e1505

2GB RAM

2.0ghz core 2 duo T7200

ATI X1400

When I try to install from Retail DVD I get two errors...

"/com.apple.boot.plist not found"

and then it goes to a promt and I hit enter then it ask for boot device I put it in and it loads the DVD then gives this error.

EBIOS read error: Error 0x02

Block 829802 Sectors 64

Any Idea? Thanks.

Well I got past that... but now when it loads the Retail DVD it imidiatly has a kernal panic.... any ideas?

Hey I have a dell inspiron 1520, and just recently updated to 10.5.5, when I had 10.5.4 I used the v1.3 installer to install sigmatel 9205 drivers, then after it was done used os 86 tools to repair permissions, restarted the comp but couldn't get sound. So the sound still doesn't work for 10.5.5 and was wondering if there is anything I can do to get it working.

Another issue im having is since upgrading to 10.5.5 My videocard (nvidia 8600M GT) lost QE support, any way of getting it back?

Thanks

-----------
comp specs
-------------
Inspiron 1520
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 ghz
Nvidia 8600M GT video card
2 gigs of ram
Sigmatel 9205 sound card
Broadcom 440x ethernet driver

I have this exact same problem anyone able to shed some lite on this? ive got the same sound card in my vostro 1500 and that works flawless with the installer :wacko:

Nevermind.. I got it working.. thanks sonotone for the installer... works great... I used.. iDeneb to install it...

Well I got past that... but now when it loads the Retail DVD it imidiatly has a kernal panic.... any ideas?

got two little issues, which are more cosmetic. Under "About this Mac" hardware summary, nothing shows, only says "there was an error while gathering this information". I assume this has to do with a conflict of the smbiosresolver from the extra with something else on the system?

the other problem occurs at the login screen. the screen blanks every few seconds (5sec or so). I am wondering if there is a script that cycles in the background? the one that was written for the gma950 issues?

again, these are cosmetic, the system is otherwise 100%.

Here is the plist needed for Dell Mini 9's (Inspiron 90's). It takes some tweaking on the zAcceptThreshold, as it seems the trackpads for these vary greatly, but the default of 68 should work properly for most users.

:) , wow it's really that simple. I read it didn't matter if that is checked or not and just ignored it. works, thank you.

I had the same issue you saw, and disabling seems to have done it. It also seems to have disabled horizontal scrolling all together... When it's enabled in sysprefs, and the FFScrollDaemon is running, sidescrolling works.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent the "jumpy" feeling, and still keep side scroll?

My dumb solution was to do this in a start script:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/FFScrollDaemon
sleep 5
killall -9 FFScrollDaemon
sleep 5
killall -9 FFScrollDaemon

It's ugly, and I don't like it. I would love some more help into the issue. :)

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist.zip

got two little issues, which are more cosmetic. Under "About this Mac" hardware summary, nothing shows, only says "there was an error while gathering this information". I assume this has to do with a conflict of the smbiosresolver from the extra with something else on the system?

the other problem occurs at the login screen. the screen blanks every few seconds (5sec or so). I am wondering if there is a script that cycles in the background? the one that was written for the gma950 issues?

again, these are cosmetic, the system is otherwise 100%.

Yes, it's certainly connected to smbiosresolver. However, you can put smbiosreslover to your extension's folder, it will not erased by any update.

Also, i've just downloaded the latest voodoo kernel and system profiler finaly recognize my computer as a macbook pro (according settings onto smbiosresolver).

I suggest you to update you kernel with the latest voodoo.

Also, think to switch to xnu speedstep instead of superhai's speedstep kext, some people note crash with voodoo.

Here a correct smbiosresolver mbp 4.1

SMBIOSResolver.kext.zip

Yes, it's certainly connected to smbiosresolver. However, you can put smbiosreslover to your extension's folder, it will not erased by any update.

Also, i've just downloaded the latest voodoo kernel and system profiler finaly recognize my computer as a macbook pro (according settings onto smbiosresolver).

I suggest you to update you kernel with the latest voodoo.

Also, think to switch to xnu speedstep instead of superhai's speedstep kext, some people note crash with voodoo.

Here a correct smbiosresolver mbp 4.1

ok, does the new voodoo kernel work with my old dell bios and work with both cpus on my c2d? at the moment I am using the fixed kernels. one more question: I assume I have to remove the smbiosresolver from the kexts in the extra folder and then copy the one you posted into the system/extension?

thank you

edit1: ok, just installed the newest voodoo kernel and it works perfect. got the system info back without doing anything with smbiosresolver. I will next try xnu speedstep (removed superhai's before so I wouldn't run into problems). will report back on how that goes.

thank you

Just tried the update.

The update was fine, but when i reverted back to voodoo or tsc sync 9.5 kernel, DMG mounting gave kernel panics.

I've tried both 9.5 and 9.6 system.kext but same story.

So, you should have to wait for 9.6 sources and new patched kernels, or run with the vanilla's one.

Just tried the update.

The update was fine, but when i reverted back to voodoo or tsc sync 9.5 kernel, DMG mounting gave kernel panics.

I've tried both 9.5 and 9.6 system.kext but same story.

So, you should have to wait for 9.6 sources and new patched kernels, or run with the vanilla's one.

odd, seemed to have worked for him. I will wait a little to test myself. working so perfectly at the moment.

edit1: well, looks like the same guy had some problems after all. many with the same that you (sonotone) observed with dmg files. waiting for an updated voodoo kernel before I update...You can also tell by the amount of posts in the last two days in the Dell threads that it's a good idea to wait a little...

edit2: had some time and tried it anyways. no luck in installing though. got kp upon boot. was only able to boot into safe mode. replaced a number of kexts (System and seatbelt) but no luck to get the system going. Went back to my 10.5.5 for now. hope for a new voodoo kernel that allows for "careless" upgrade ;)

edit3: with every possible solutions thrown out in the different threads I tried a couple more times. no matter what I tried, the only way for me to boot into the system was in safe mode. always got kps (three different kernels tried, voodoo, patched 10.5.5 and vanilla 10.5.6, always with appropriate system.kext)

According to this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=134842

i was able to display PCI Cards from System Profiler.

I attach here my plsit with some pre-made entries for my inspiron 9400.

If you have same model as me, just switch (in the plist) the model of video (nvidia or ati)/wifi to your own.

If some ioreg entries are obscur, use LSPCI (osx86Tools Utility has it) to check PCI slot.

PS: this is strictly cosmetic! nothing more...

post-115331-1229446684_thumb.png

in.plist.zip

I have a quick question about the screen scrolling.

I installed the tracpkad scrolling on my xps m1330 which is running iAtkos verison of 10.5.5 and it has cause my cursor to work properly by way of my touch pad but after about a second or 2 it stops and automatically switches to scrolling and will move the screen around. This is very annoying since I have to pick my finger off the trackpad ever other second.

Can someone explain to me how to delete that which I installed, I am unsure since this is my first time dual booting and using OS X Leopard extensively.

Thanks

First, kudos to Sonotone and others for taking the pain out of getting Dell laptops fully working by us noobs.

The post installer has helped me get x3100 full-res graphics (with one hitch,) Sigmatel 9205 sound, Dell 1395 wireless and two finger scrolling (sort of) working on my Dell D630. A few questions though. First, when booting the sleep display trick seems to work and moving the mouse brings up the screen, but the desktop is missing. I get a generic blue background and no desktop icons. I have to switch display resolutions and the desktop appears, at which point I switch back. Anyone else seen this and know of a solution?

Two finger scrolling actually works with one-finger, which makes it sort of useless because navigating with the trackpad attempts to scroll in any window you cross over.

Lid sleep doesn't work for me. In fact, sleep doesn't work at all. The display goes blank, but power remains on and the system appears to be operational underneath the blank screen. Can't really tell what it's doing though and the only thing I can do at that point is power cycle. Anyone had success in getting full sleep/wake to work on a D630?

i was able to display PCI Cards from System Profiler.

I attach here my plsit with some pre-made entries for my inspiron 9400.

PS: this is strictly cosmetic! nothing more...

sonotone,

I can see at your screenshot, "Ricoh Card Reader - Driver Installed - Yes".

Is it cosmetic string or you turn on card reader?

do you have any idea for my Graphic card ATI X1300 128 MB, I tried many time but the resolution still is 1028x768

Please, help me to change it to 1280x800

thanks,

PS: I tried X1400

No tested by me, it include a specific com.apple.boot.plist with screen resolution at 1440/900 and 1280/800.

You can edit it in terminal:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

but it didn't work

Hey sonotone,

your Installer is great, but it killed the drivers of my optical drive, WLAN, trackpad, USB, and sound.

Your package got sleep working but, after reinstalling all drivers except the optical drive (didn't find them), Sleep didn't work anymore.

please help me out of this ^^

thx

10.5.6 update working fine.

First time got stuck on 34%.

second time did netkas trick for apple intel cpu managment trick.

Installation completed.

booted from usb disk changed my kexts like smbios apple acpi hda hda controller put back my 9.50 kernel and system kext

and running fine.

At first was running voodoo kernel because apple intelcpu kext was giving me problems then I deleted it and reverted back to my old kernel

the one for dell users

I noticed with apple intel cpu running all sort of error concerning hpet appeared

post-179170-1229625128_thumb.jpg