Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a Dell XPS M1730, I was able to get the OS 10.5.3 running with a nice resolution (1900x1200), the wireless Intel wireless 4965 seems to work (detects wireless networks available) but have not try to connect to any (they were all protected, will try later at home) but I am missing sound, and the broadcom netxtreme gigabit ethernet. (sound and internal cable nic not working)

can any body help? any other sucess on XPS installations?

by the way, I am dual booting between vista32bit and mac os 10.5.3

Thanks!

Angel

Hi again, thanks a lot for creating this pack of drivers, I was able to install the sigmatel high definition audio CODEC (also known as device ID 9228) and it works great!

so I only have the internal Broadcom Netstreme gigabit ethernet card to go, everything else seems to be working ok.

Thanks!

Angel

The mute fix on 9228 works very well for me! Good work!

I have vanilla kernel, and the battery charge only last 2 hour.

I remeber that when I had sleepstep kernel, the battery duration was arround 4 hours.

I need some other kext?

Thanks!!

First off, thank you for the extra work! I have a Dell Vostro 1400. I installed with Iaktos (Spelled incorrectly I am sure, but it was the 10.5.2 version of Mac OS X). The install was flawless, but I had disabled my wireless adapter and it did not get installed. I had the black screen issue which I fixed by waiting 11 minutes 20 seconds and then pressing a key to get in initially, then setting a hot spot to sleep the display for future logins.

After all that I used your package to install my Wireless card and sound drivers. Everything worked like a charm. I had to do the sound drivers twice (The Vostro 1400 needs the 9228, not the 9200!) but other than that, it is working beautifully. I am sycning my iPhone and listening to iTunes over the internal speakers as I type this.

Thanks again, I just wanted to let you know the product works as advertised on the Vostro 1400!

Hi Folks.

I've got a Vostro 1700 (Build 04-2008) and tried to get to 10.5.3. Back then I used an older version of the installer and lost my trackpad and keyboard. Having the Batterymeter installed i got many errors, cause of PowerManagement.

I'd like to try it again, and as the Vostro-Series are not so well supported as XPS or Inspiron (2Finger-Trackpad, ...), i'd like to test and contribute to the installer.

Here is the clue: I need some help :wacko:

If someone could assist me, this would be great. I'll be on IRC tomorrow - approximately at 16:00 GMT+1.

Thanks sonotone for the installer and macgirl for the compilationthread.

Guys anyone know if a new Dell studio series will work with Leo? Seems like configuration of some laptops from this series very close to macbook.

These laptops sounds good, but graphics part should be problematic (x3100 and Radeon HD 3450)

The mute fix on 9228 works very well for me! Good work!

I have vanilla kernel, and the battery charge only last 2 hour.

I remeber that when I had sleepstep kernel, the battery duration was arround 4 hours.

I need some other kext?

Thanks!!

Maybe 2 hours are closest to real capacity of the battery.

First off, thank you for the extra work! I have a Dell Vostro 1400. I installed with Iaktos (Spelled incorrectly I am sure, but it was the 10.5.2 version of Mac OS X). The install was flawless, but I had disabled my wireless adapter and it did not get installed. I had the black screen issue which I fixed by waiting 11 minutes 20 seconds and then pressing a key to get in initially, then setting a hot spot to sleep the display for future logins.

After all that I used your package to install my Wireless card and sound drivers. Everything worked like a charm. I had to do the sound drivers twice (The Vostro 1400 needs the 9228, not the 9200!) but other than that, it is working beautifully. I am sycning my iPhone and listening to iTunes over the internal speakers as I type this.

Thanks again, I just wanted to let you know the product works as advertised on the Vostro 1400!

Cool :)

Are you using the GMA X3100?

I've got a Vostro 1700 (Build 04-2008) and tried to get to 10.5.3. Back then I used an older version of the installer and lost my trackpad and keyboard. Having the Batterymeter installed i got many errors, cause of PowerManagement.

I'd like to try it again, and as the Vostro-Series are not so well supported as XPS or Inspiron (2Finger-Trackpad, ...), i'd like to test and contribute to the installer.

Here is the clue: I need some help

If someone could assist me, this would be great. I'll be on IRC tomorrow - approximately at 16:00 GMT+1.

Thanks sonotone for the installer and macgirl for the compilationthread.

The PS2 issue is solve with latests builds, cause i include AppleACPIBatteryManager, witch don't need to edit AppleACPIPlatfom and cause trackpad/keyboard loss depending of your distrib.

2-fingers original thread (and kexts) is here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

I can't fix issue as long as don't have a vostro computer, and it should be complex because this is certainly a driver issue (and i'm not a Dev).

Guys, I'm looking to buy the following Dell:

Inspiron 1525

Intel T8100 2.1GHz 800MHz FSB 3MB Cache

2GB RAM

160GB 5400 RPM

Intel X3100

Standard 1280x800 display

Dell 1390 802.11b/g

Dell TrueMobile 355 internal Bluetooth

Integrated 2.0MP camera

I know I should read the forum, but I have a new baby at home and I can't sit all day and read the forums (wife gives the look).

I just have one question -

Will Leopard work with all these devices (graphics, sound, wireless, etc.)? Will I get a fully working computer?

I don't mind going through tedious guides to get things to work. The question is simply - will everything work.

No way am I installing Windows on this baby!

Thanks a lot,

Gant.

Guys, I'm looking to buy the following Dell:

Inspiron 1525

Intel T8100 2.1GHz 800MHz FSB 3MB Cache

2GB RAM

160GB 5400 RPM

Intel X3100

Standard 1280x800 display

Dell 1390 802.11b/g

Dell TrueMobile 355 internal Bluetooth

Integrated 2.0MP camera

I know I should read the forum, but I have a new baby at home and I can't sit all day and read the forums.

I just have one question -

Will Leopard work with all these devices (graphics, sound, wireless, etc.)? Will I get a fully working computer?

I don't mind going through tedious guides to get things to work. The question is simply - will everything work.

No way am I installing Windows on this baby!

Thanks a lot,

Gant.

Look my specs. I have a similar Inspiron 1525.

If the sound is a sigmatel 92xx, it will work with a patch.

The 1390 work out of the box.

The ethernet marvell yukon doens't work.

The X3100 work, with some tricks, take a look arround.

Good look.

Hi, I have been having some issues with the 1395 dell wireless enabler. It gives me the standard the kext has not been installed correctly error. Here is the script I have been using to enable mine on my m1530, not sure if it will help or not. Awhile ago I edited it, I think to just add my device id, but I do not remember anymore.

#!/bin/bash

#(some rights reserved) 2007 mcsmart
#license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
#the author is not responsible for any damages caused by this script 

#simple check if the user is logged in as root
USER=`whoami`
if [[ $USER != "root" ]]; then
echo "You need to have root-proviledges!"
echo "To run this script, simply type 'sudo $0' and enter your password"
exit
fi

#name of the kext
TYPE="AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext"

#default locations
DEFAULTKEXT="/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext"
DEFAULTBCKP="/backup"

#select the kextfile
function kextsel() {
KEXT=""
	echo "Where is the $TYPE located?"
echo "Please enter the full path or simply press return if the default path is correct for your system!"
	read -p "[$DEFAULTKEXT] " KEXT
	if [[ $KEXT == "" ]]; then
			KEXT=$DEFAULTKEXT;
	fi
}

#select a location for the backup of the Info.plist file
function backupsel() {
BACKUP=""
	echo "Please enter a place for the backup of the kext's Info.plist!"
	echo "If you don't want a backup, type '/dev/null' :)"
	read -p "[$DEFAULTBCKP] " BACKUP
	if [[ $BACKUP == "" ]]; then
			BACKUP=$DEFAULTBCKP;
	#create the dir if it does not exist
	if !([ -e $BACKUP ]); then
		mkdir $BACKUP
	fi
	fi
}

clear
echo "####################################"
echo "#mcsmart's bcm43xx wireless enabler#"
echo "#			 v. 0.4			   #"
echo "####################################"
echo "This script will enable your Broadcom wireless card (aka AirPortOne)!"
echo "You may run this script after every AirPort Update released by Apple to re-enable your card."
echo "For more information visit: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51725"
echo ""
echo "Use this script at your own risk!"
echo "The author is not responsible for any damages that may be caused by this script!"
echo ""
echo "Supported chipsets:"
echo "- Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN"
echo "- Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN"
echo "- Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN"
echo "- Broadcom BCM4320 b/g"
echo "- Broadcom BCM4324 802.11 a/b/g Wireless LAN"
echo "- All Apple AirPortOne cards"
echo ""
echo ""
echo "Press Enter to continue"
read none

#select the kext
clear
kextsel

#try again if the kext file is invalid
while !([ -e $KEXT/Contents/Info.plist ]); do
echo ""
echo "Invalid path, try it again!"
kextsel
done

#final location of the Info.plist
FILE="$KEXT/Contents/Info.plist"

#select a path to backup the Info.plist
clear
backupsel

#try again if the kext file is invalid
while !([ -e $BACKUP ]); do
	echo ""
	echo "Invalid path, try it again!"
	backupsel
done

echo $BACKUP

cat $FILE > /tmp/patch
cp $FILE $BACKUP/Info.plist.$TYPE
cat /tmp/patch|grep -B 100 "<array>" > /tmp/new
echo "				<string>pci14e4,4315</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4309</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4328</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4329</string>
							<string>pci14e4,432a</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4312</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4313</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4318</string>
							<string>pci14e4,4319</string>
							<string>pci14e4,431a</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4320</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4324</string>" >> /tmp/new 
cat /tmp/patch|grep -A 100 "</array>" >> /tmp/new
cp /tmp/new $FILE
chown root:wheel $FILE
chmod 0644 $FILE
rm /tmp/patch
rm /tmp/new

#delete AirPort2 kext
if [ -e /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext ]; then
clear
echo "Do you want to delete the AppleAirPort2.kext (recommended)? [yes|no]"
echo "The kext will be moved to your backup location"
read -p "[yes] " AP2
if [[ $AP2 == "yes" ]]; then
	mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext $BACKUP
elif [[ $AP2 == "" ]]; then
	mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext $BACKUP
fi
fi

#delete the kextcache
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

echo "$TYPE successfully patched!"

<string>pci106b,4e</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4306</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4309</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4312</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4313</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4314</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4315</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4318</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4319</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4320</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4321</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4324</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4325</string>
			<string>pci14e4,4328</string> 
			<string>pci14e4,4329</string>
			<string>pci14e4,431a</string>
			<string>pci14e4,432a</string>
			<string>pci14e4,432b</string>
			<string>pci14e4,432c</string>
			<string>pci14e4,432d</string>

This is the list of device ids from installer. I guess you forgot to repair permissions or clear boot cache.

These laptops sounds good, but graphics part should be problematic (x3100 and Radeon HD 3450)

I don't understand why x3100 would be a problem if specs on macbook saying "Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory"?

Installed everything fine on 10.5.2 using Kalyway 10.5.2 dvd and then ran this patch Everything worked fine on my Dell Inspiron E1705 with wifi and sound. After upgrading to 10..5.3 using JAS combo update everything still worked fine. But after using software upgrade and installed 10.5.4 and other updates from Apple, sound and wireless is gone.

Tried reinstalling the latest package here and repairing permissions, but it doesn´t help. Also tried the steps in the readme to fix wireless.

Have valilla kernel and Broadcom BCM43xx wireless. Sigmatel 9200 sound patch worked fine in 10.5.2 and 10.5.3.

Could the Apple Airport upgrade have broken wireless settings?

Hope someone can help me.

Do you mean that I should copy the files from /DellLaptops/backup to the /Extensions folder overwriting the files that are there?

nope, just move backup files out of /DellLaptops/backup, then launch again the installer.

EDIT: Use 0.34b, i've fixed some issues.

Thanks. Got sound working now, but cannot get to install wireless drivers. When I choose them in the installer, it says 0k upgrade and after installing and repairing permissions it still says No Airport card installed.

Any fix for this? Last thing I need to be fixed now.

@sonotone

Glad you have included my speedstep find .

will sigmatel 9200 mute work on dell640m????

Why are you saying that it's your find?

You already know that trick was found by Paulicat on this topic http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...st&p=769614 (he is the first to mention coolbook app for throttling)

Anyway, mute should works also for you.

Thanks. Got sound working now, but cannot get to install wireless drivers. When I choose them in the installer, it says 0k upgrade and after installing and repairing permissions it still says No Airport card installed.

Any fix for this? Last thing I need to be fixed now.

What is the model of your Wifi card?