[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

Hey PCWiz - thought I would tell you - thank you first, for saving me much time screwing with 15 different ISOs all which I can't tell if they would work or not - but your VMImage is ready to roll and works on my PC - Dell D620 Dual Core Intel machine.

I need to get Internet to work on it - but just got the OS loaded - so I will check on that next.

Also, do you know if there is a way to get VMWare Tools to work or is that a lost cause - if not how do you transfer files between the Mac and the PC?

PS - my system seemed to hang at the apple logo startup - and while I was reading your post about what to do - it finished loading and the OS booted - so be patient if yours does that - to any users out there

Thanks,

Hunter

Thanx pcwiz boots in about 2 minutes cant connect to internet even though says unplugged still nothing but I did manage to take your vmware kernel and place in my native hard drive and it now boots to desktop but no mouse or keyboard could you please tell me what kext I need to copy from your vmware to my native to get these to work thanx again

HunterSinclair:

Internet (Ethernet) instructions are on the main/front post. VMware Tools is not really that necessary at the moment. There is nothing in VMware Tools that can't be done manually. If you want to increase resolution there are also instructions for that on the front/main post. If you want a VMware Tools clone for OSx86, check out Gnubeard's VMacTools. The easiest way to transfer files would be through ISO image, just dump the files you need into an ISO, connect it to VMware.

Hope this helps

Jughead1111,

Did you try the instructions on the front post for Internet (Ethernet)? Its not my kernel by the way, its a netkas kernel ;) I'm not sure what to do about it, this release is for VMware. Not really meant for native. If you want native, download the Leopard Flat Image (original) and write it to a partition with DD or use an Installer DVD to install it.

Sorry for the confusion I can install native just fine just have never been able to boot my native already installed hard drive in vmware until now thanx all I diid was use the same netkas kernel and it -my native hard drive not your vmware image- booted in vmware now all I need is some kind soul who remembers which kext loads in your vmware image that controlls the mouse and keyboard. I have tried switching from usb to ps2 but must not have the correct kext for vmware installed. hope I was clearer this time thank you again you pcwiz

I have a theory as how to use Marvin's AMD utility without a working Tiger VMWare. NOTE, you need to have some other form of OS X running. Download http://www.abinsight.com/vm/

mount the VMWare image in windows. Now share the "drive". In your OS X, mount that shared drive and point Marvins utility there. Then copy the contents of that folder back to the "drive" it should work! NOTE: I have not tried this, still downloading.

Jughead,

Have you tried adjusting the BIOS settings for USB and PS/2?

rob356,

Seems a bit complicated rather than using a Tiger VM, but hey, if you find it easier then its worth a try ;)

pcwiz

I have mouse and keyboard with your release so I don't think that my motherboard bios is wrong and I haven't found any usb or ps2 settings in the vmware bios f2 thing but I will look again still think it's a missing kext I'm about ready to reverse engineer and take your whole extensions folder, back mine up and replace with yours repair and boot to vmware and then see if my native still boots and has all kexts. Easier to trouble shoot my native than vmware and yes I tried the network instructions I think some of us cant connect it says unplugged and close it and still no network least of my problems would like to get my native completely working in vmware so as to not need 20 gigs taking up space not needed. Thanx for giving me something to fix

Jughead,

Try replacing your AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the PS/2 nub version from the Kalyway release thread.

Jezz,

Try running the network configuration assistant again and reboot the VM. If it still doesn't work, extract a fresh VM from the files and make a snapshot before installing any updates ;)

NSCXP2005,

Glad you got it working :P Its a surprise that 6.0.3 actually improves things ;)

P.S. tashymaster just PMed me and its confirmed working on AMD :P

Is it normal for it to go to a dark grey screen with a cursor a few minutes into boot and just seem to stay there? The last message I saw before it went in was something like "dmos starting". I left it for about an hour before rebooting.

medw1974,

That happened on my very first complete boot of Leopard, but it didn't happen after.

NSCXP2005,

Weird. I swear I already installed it. I'll double check on my copy. You don't have to repair permissions after every update, the software updater should do it for you. Whatever you do though, DO NOT apply the Time Machine update. It installs a new kernel that messes things up.

tashymaster,

If you restore a snapshot you took before the update, it should be fine. Oh yeah and also, sometimes I get a random stack error or so. Reboot the VM and try,

tashymaster,

Yes, there is. Boot to the F8 boot menu (tap F8 while its starting) and enter:

mach_kernel.toh

That should boot the system.

Also, I'm having some real trouble getting Ethernet to work now. It was working just before, but now not working :unsure:

EDIT: Got it working again. I added an "Ethernet Method 2" on the front post with an alternate method. I've also posted up AMD patching instructions after tashymaster's success.

Hey PCWiz - I am having trouble getting ethernet to work on my machine. Is anyone else experiencing this. I followed both sets of instructions - the first instructions - it never populates anythign for the IP address or anything - I hit apply and check the browser - nothing.

Second instructions - I go through the steps and it just keeps saying that it can't connect and I should enter settings manually. I also tried to manually set the settings - but I really don't know what I should be seeting it to - I tried the IPs for the 2 network VM connections and even my PCs IP - no luck with any of that.

I am running a Dell D620 Dual Core Intel and OSX seems to be functioning fine. I tried LAN and Wireless - both do not work. I am connected to a linksys wireless router and am on Time warner Cable for my internet connection. My PC connects fine. Any ideas?

I pcwiz,

I have finished updating Leopard, but now my ethernet adapter will not work on the VM machine.

I have tried your second ethernet setup and it doesn't work.

Did you manage to get your working?

All the best

NSCXP2005