[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

I have 2 Sapphire branded ATI cards and both of them work perfectly with the 'Triakis' framebuffer installer.pkg

Not sure if this is correct but I saw this list of ATI framebuffer names (from Netkas site) which might be relevant -

x1300 - Caretta

x1600 - Wormy

x1800 - Alopias

x1900 - Alopias

HD2400 - Iago

HD2600 - Hypoprion (Natit uses Lamna)

HD2900 - Franklin (not available in 10.5.3)

HD3400 - Lago

HD3600 - Lamna

HD3800 - Lamna

HD3800X2 - Triakis (not available in 10.5.3)

also Prionace (not available in 10.5.3) and Spyrna but I think there are now other newer framebuffers since 10.5.4?

Please note the installers from this link do not seem to work properly for me on either of my ATI cards ... maybe it is the different speed GDDR memory types and clocks used even on the same card models which cause stability issues?

I also noticed a comment from lastexile which suggests using Lamna or Mega framebuffers as powerplay and power management are disabled on the Triakis one. Might also explain why some users have issues with cards running hot and loud fans?

Tried this one with a ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro PCIE on 10.5.6 (iPC), but I can't get output from DVI - I have to use a DVI2VGA adaptor.

I have full QE/CI/rotation, but the analog signal is significantly worse than the digital!

Any suggestions?

Iv got a HD2600 installed from a 10.5.6 hackintosh DVD. I have added some kext to get network to run and that works fine. But graphics. It runs in 1024x768 but not anything else. Im not sure where too look. Is this

a graphic card problem or is there any display drivers that handles that?

Hi all, I followed all the above instruction but after rebooting, the white screen with the apple logo appears (distorted res) and then the screen turns blue (a very nice and smooth blue though). All I can see is a mouse which i can control and it appears to be in the correct resolution (1650x1080). And also I think that OSX is running behind that blue screen 'cuz I notice when i moved the mouse to the corner that I set up to display all windows, the mouse changed into a hand with a finger pointing.

Any advice, guys?

Thanks

Alright, so I've got a HD3200 in my TX2500 (laptop) and after quite a bit of searching, it's apparent that there's no kext or compatible kext for it at this point.

My question then becomes this - is there some sort of baseline / standard driver that would allow me to at least bump the resolution up past the 1024*768 resolution, which is the only option I have?

Thanks!

This is a small guide on how to set up Natit for PCI-E Radeon HD graphics cards in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.1 & 10.5.2). By following the steps below you will get full QE/CI/OpenGL and DVI output. I know there already is a guide but it is horribly outdated. It is actually a lot easier than you might think.

Supported Radeon HD cards:

• Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 2600 Pro, Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • Radeon HD 2900 Pro, Radeon HD 2900 XT
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2
  • Other Radeon HD 2x00/38x0 cards might work as well

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit from here
  2. Extract the archive and copy Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
  3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Open /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.1 download this (white menu fix)
      Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.2 download this (white menu fix)
      Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.
    • If you have a Radeon 2900 Pro or a Radeon 2900 XT download this
      Extract it and copy ATY_Franklin.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns.
    • If you have a different chipset skip this step!

[*]Open Terminal (if you haven't already done so) and type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel *
sudo chmod -R 755 *
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/com.apple.kext.info

[*]You are done. Reboot and pray :(

Notes:

• It is recommended to perform a clean install. Do not select any graphics-related things during the installation.
  • Radeon HD 2400 users: You do not get DVI support. You have to use a DVI2VGA-converter instead.
  • If DVI works, HDMI will work as well (with DVI2HDMI adaptor), no HDMI audio ATM
  • AGP versions of these cards require additional patching. I cannot test it and therefore this guide does only apply to the PCI-E versions.

Changelog:

• 2008-04-03: updated 2900 information, added ATY_Franklin.kext link, added link to FAQ

Thanks to netkas who made these great drivers. For more information check the #radeonhd IRC channel at irc.osx86.hu

Please also have a look at this FAQ!

Hello I followed directions and upon bootup i get a black screen.

Kalyway 10.5.1 clean install

Saphire Radeon 3850 HD 512MB device id x9505 vendor id x1002

System profiler sees card at Radeon 3800

anyhing I can try?

ok small update,

i am able to boot with -x safe boot with the 3850, thats an improvement. when i boot regulary i get garbled screen. -x at least gets me to the desktop...any ideas? here is screen shot:

3800safemodeyw2.png

ok small update,

i am able to boot with -x safe boot with the 3850, thats an improvement. when i boot regulary i get garbled screen. -x at least gets me to the desktop...any ideas? here is screen shot:

3800safemodeyw2.png

Similar issue here. Despite all the Kexts, the ATI HD3850 1gb still has software aclleration.

This is on 10.5.6

Help?

• 2 weeks later...
This is a small guide on how to set up Natit for PCI-E Radeon HD graphics cards in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.1 & 10.5.2). By following the steps below you will get full QE/CI/OpenGL and DVI output. I know there already is a guide but it is horribly outdated. It is actually a lot easier than you might think.

• Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit from here
  3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Open /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.1 download this (white menu fix)
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.2 download this (white menu fix)
      Extract it and copy ATY_Franklin.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

sudo chmod -R 755 *

[*]You are done. Reboot and pray :)

Notes:

• It is recommended to perform a clean install. Do not select any graphics-related things during the installation.
  • Radeon HD 2400 users: You do not get DVI support. You have to use a DVI2VGA-converter instead.
  • If DVI works, HDMI will work as well (with DVI2HDMI adaptor), no HDMI audio ATM
  • AGP versions of these cards require additional patching. I cannot test it and therefore this guide does only apply to the PCI-E versions.

Changelog:

• 2008-04-03: updated 2900 information, added ATY_Franklin.kext link, added link to FAQ

Thanks to netkas who made these great drivers. For more information check the #radeonhd IRC channel at irc.osx86.hu

hello!

update!

unfortunely i had to install using the Triakis, the method u showed did not work..but...after installing the Triakis_2400_2600_3800.pkg from #RadeonHD channel on irc EVEYTHING WORKED!! i had resolution change, qe/ci etc. next i tried installing the white menu fix,(posted on this thread) and ...back to square one sad.gif

upon bootup i got blue screen.

now, i am able to boot using -x and it takes me to desktop.

any way around this? I installed the ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle (white menu fix) via Kexthelper, any way to get the 'old one back'? im sooo close, help please

hello!

update!

unfortunely i had to install using the Triakis, the method u showed did not work..but...after installing the Triakis_2400_2600_3800.pkg from #RadeonHD channel on irc EVEYTHING WORKED!! i had resolution change, qe/ci etc. next i tried installing the white menu fix,(posted on this thread) and ...back to square one sad.gif

any way around this? I installed the ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle (white menu fix) via Kexthelper, any way to get the 'old one back'? im sooo close, help please

bump

hello!

update!

bump

For historic reasons - this is the original post:

• Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit from here

sudo chmod -R 755 *

[*]You are done. Reboot and pray :|

Notes:

Changelog: