[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm having a problem with my Gigabyte 3780. When I install Leopard, it wont even boot. Says i have to restart my computer! Tried it over and over, with Kaly 10.5.2 and Ideneb 10.5.5. Before i had X800xl and everithing was fine.

Thanks

I followed your directions, and tried them multiple times, with different osx86 distributions, but I still can't get my 3850 working. On the latest Leo4All and Kalyway if I don't select any graphics drivers, I can normally boot fine. Its not a great resolution, and I don't think its accelerated, but its usable. As soon as I start messing with graphics drivers of any kind I can no longer get to the desktop on reboot. Like I said before, I have tried many ways, many times, but I can never ever boot back to the desktop once I "install" a graphics kext. most of the time I get a black screen, or a checkered screen, but once I got a solid blue screen. Am I missing a step? I am trying really hard to get this working, these graphics drivers are the only thing keeping me from making this computer a dedicated OSX system.

Here are my specs

Intel Core2Quad

Gigabyte P35-DS3L

ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB (9505/1002)

4GB Memory

Sata HDD on AHCI

I pulled all other cards from the system to avoid compatibility issues. Thank you ahead of time for anyone who can offer any advice or point me in the right direction.

@Fire Medic

I am in a similar situation. I have a Visiontek HD3850 512mb (Actually I have 2 in Crossfire mode when I boot Vista). I can boot in safe mode, but no matter what kexts I use, I end up with what others refer to as the "Disco Screen Of Death". I am intending to use this box to write iPhone apps, but I can't use the SDK without QE at least. It's driving me mad! I have several PPC Macs so I am not new to the whole scene, but I also can't afford a nice new Power Mac either! Does anyone know if this is a problem related to the fact that they are 512mb and not 256?

Incidentally, looking in SP I see that my card with no kexts loaded shows only 256mb......hmmmm

PLEASE HELP!!

Specs:

ECS Elitegroup KA3 MVP Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition

Visiontek HD3850 512mb GDDR3 PCI-E (9505/0000)

4 GB A-Data DDR2-800

I just bought a ati radeon Sapphire 4850HD 512mb any idea when it will be supported?

same procedure as every year, adises -- äh same answer as for all others:

Support only AFTER ATI or Apple sell/support ATI 48XX Mac !!!

Today you get in best case at least the framebuffer running (only one fixed resolution, no CI , no QE, No OpenGL )

Does anyone know if this is a problem related to the fact that they are 512mb and not 256?

I don't think so.

I have a powercolor HD3850 512mb and it runs fine with Leo4allv3.

Although it gets pretty hot so I hardly use OSX anymore :)

hi

when i install from the dvd i have 1 problem

i have a ati hd 2900 pro x 512 and when i boot up after installing i get to the grey apple logo and then my whole screen goes full of white blocks

that means i can not see or get into the operating system

any help would be appreciated

thanks

nice guide but it isnt that simple for me.

Kalyway install with sleep kernel

I followed your instruction to the letter and no go.

the system will boot but cant see what kext to use

radeon hd 2400 xt pci-e in a gateway m-6824

when I go to about this mac, display it says no kext installed.

I dont really care about all the 3d stuff, but I want the correct resolution

yes i tried modifing com.apple.Boot.plist. It isnt working either

Thanks

Will this process work for onboard cards as well? I have an HD 3200 onboard (which I don't see listed) but I've read that I should follow the instructions for a 2400 and things should work.

Does not appear to work for onboard card with id 0x96101002. Booted up and when the GUI should've started, I saw a weird quilt-like pattern. Removing the card ID from the ATIRadeonX2000.kext fixed the problem, but now I'm still stuck at 1024x768.

This is a small guide on how to set up Natit for PCI-E Radeon HD graphics cards in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.1 & 10.5.x). By following the steps below you will get full QE/CI/OpenGL. I know there already is a guide but it is horribly outdated. It is actually a lot easier than you might think.

Radeon HD 2400

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit

2. Сopy Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Open /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.

4. use RepairKexts_Permission © cVaD

5. You are done. Reboot and pray :)

Notes: Radeon HD 2400 users: You do not get DVI support. You have to use a DVI2VGA-converter instead.

This method workes fine for my HACKINTOSH with ATI RADEON HD 2400 XT [94c3]:

Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 [original + modbin kernel 9.4.0] PC: Intel celeron 430 1,8Hz, MSI chipset VIA P4M900, DDR2 667 РС2-5300 1024Mb, Samsung HDD 160Gb 7200 SATA II(still need kext) + WD HDD 320Gb 7200 8Mb IDE (work 100%), LG+/-RW, ATI RADEON HD2400Series 256 Mb, TV tuner Compro Plus II GOLD(PCI), ALC 883 (work 100%), Via Rhine II Lan 10/100 (work 100%), 6 USB(work)

So any new news on the 94c8 mobile ATI Radeon HD 2400 PCI-e?

I have gotten to the quilted screen but that was the best I could get.

I dont want to flash the bios since it is an integrated card. Im afraid it would brick the MOBO.

OSX works, just at the 1024x728, that means I cant install CS3.

If any one has any ideas on to changing the graphics card on a M-6824 I open to that idea. even if it means a new mobo. I just have no idea how to find a mobo that will fit inside a Gateway case?

Any and all help appreciated.

Gordon

Dear all;

I have the same display card as "Justpig"..Powercolour HD2600 XT 512 M DDR3 ID:95881002. I tried using Leo4allv3,Ideneb 10.5.4 and Ideneb 10.5.5 and selected the HD ATI drivers in DVDs. ( for HD2600XT )

Installation completed. but when it goes re-start ( last step in installation )..Screen was blacken out ( actually heap of color pixels on screen), display goes no response,, but I see my hard disk is running ..What should I do next ?

My config:

GIgabyte: GA-EG31M-S2 (rev. 2.0)

Memory: 2GB DDR2-800

Display; Powercolor HD 2600 XT DDR3 512M

Harddisk; Seagate SATA 120GB

ASUS DVDRW SATA_1

( This set up works in Window vista, so there should not have Hardwares problem )

cheers;

I tested on my laptop (Acer 4920 with ATI Radeon Hd 2400xt) But its not working right now . The screen turn to blue and i have to remove this driver.

Anyone here have been tested on this card? did it work?

idk what's diffrent between ATI radeon hd2400 and hd2400xt.

Last night, I tried a clean installation using ideneb 10.5.4. I connected my LCD display which both VGA and DVI inputs to the corresponding on-broad VGA ( Gigabyte MB) and my Powercolor HD 2600 XT (512MB DDR3) grahic card.

Using VGA port to monitor the installation, I found everything goes fine and then I installed the ATI HD 2600XT kert ( from :http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107526) and then restart the system. Choose the DVI port in my display LCD. No luck, BSOD. Then, switched back using VGA port. and checked for Display setting.

Found: HD 2600 XT ( installed ) with correct dev id and vendor id: 95881002 ( but VRAM was not correct, only shown as 256 Mb instead of 512 MB )

Isn't it the problem is in 512MB VRAM or others...

Any suggestion ?

I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO PCIe card, and I keep on getting small, green, red or blue lines for just less than half a second when I'm watching something fullscreen in VLC or in Plex.

Any suggestions?

I'm on 10.5.3, everything else works perfect. QE, CI, full resolution and DVI.

HELP !

did this procedure, and rebooted, and my screen is ll white now ... i cant see anything...

What can I do to fix this?

Ne install

Kalyway 10.5.2

Gigabyte P35-DS3L Bios F5

ATI Radion 3850

please can anyone help?

please ... cant anyone help?

do i have to reinstall to fix this?

Hi, I'm using the guide above to install radeon2600 pro.

The problem is at this step:

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit from here
  2. Extract the archive and copy Natit.kext to /Sytem/Library/Extensions
  3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /Sytem/Library/Extensions, Open /Sytem/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.

I can't find ATIRadeonX2000.kext in the natit, do you know how/Where to get it?

pleeeease help, i'm gettin'crazy!!!

Hi, I'm using the guide above to install radeon2600 pro.

The problem is at this step:

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit from here
  2. Extract the archive and copy Natit.kext to /Sytem/Library/Extensions
  3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /Sytem/Library/Extensions, Open /Sytem/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.

I can't find ATIRadeonX2000.kext in the natit, do you know how/Where to get it?

pleeeease help, i'm gettin'crazy!!!

First and formost there is no ATIRadeonX2000.kext in natit.kext go to my installer page and use one of them