[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

For historic reasons - this is the original post:

This is a small guide on how to set up Natit for PCI-E Radeon HD graphics cards in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.1 & 10.5.2). By following the steps below you will get full QE/CI/OpenGL and DVI output. I know there already is a guide but it is horribly outdated. It is actually a lot easier than you might think.

Supported Radeon HD cards:

• Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 2600 Pro, Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • Radeon HD 2900 Pro, Radeon HD 2900 XT
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2
  • Other Radeon HD 2x00/38x0 cards might work as well

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit from here
  2. Extract the archive and copy Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
  3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Open /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.1 download this (white menu fix)
      Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.2 download this (white menu fix)
      Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.
    • If you have a Radeon 2900 Pro or a Radeon 2900 XT download this
      Extract it and copy ATY_Franklin.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns.
    • If you have a different chipset skip this step!

[*]Open Terminal (if you haven't already done so) and type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel *
sudo chmod -R 755 *
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/com.apple.kext.info

[*]You are done. Reboot and pray :D

Notes:

• It is recommended to perform a clean install. Do not select any graphics-related things during the installation.
  • Radeon HD 2400 users: You do not get DVI support. You have to use a DVI2VGA-converter instead.
  • If DVI works, HDMI will work as well (with DVI2HDMI adaptor), no HDMI audio ATM
  • AGP versions of these cards require additional patching. I cannot test it and therefore this guide does only apply to the PCI-E versions.

Changelog:

• 2008-04-03: updated 2900 information, added ATY_Franklin.kext link, added link to FAQ

Thanks to netkas who made these great drivers. For more information check the #radeonhd IRC channel at irc.osx86.hu

Please also have a look at this FAQ!

With a radeon 2400 hd pro, where do i put the device id, and what is the device id??

sorry, im new to coding. I just use the software, not code it.

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE hELP ME OUT:

i'm trying to install the Ideneb v1.4 10.5.6 on my laptop computer, but i need to know what drivers to select when customizing.

so my notebook is an Asus x50SL series with the following hardware:

GRAPHIC CARD : Ati mobility radeon HD 3470

WI fi card: Atheros AR5007EG

Ethernet: Sis191

USB: sis7001

AUDIO: REaltek HIgh definition

MOUse ps/2 microsoft

Processor: core 2 duo t5750 ( 2.0 GHZ)

DVD rom : t40N ATA device

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. F5SL 1.0

i tried a couple of convinations, but i always get the striped apple, so please help me with any knowledge you ve got! its just i dont

know quite well what drivers to choose

thanks!!

Had to reinstall 10.5.6 ( iDeneb ) and stumbled on an old problem , video kext is loading properly ( ATI HD 2600 pro ) but my screen's native resolution isn't recognized ( 1920x1080 ) - I get an " out of range " and then black screen ( with the monitor still running ! ) when I choose this res

I remember on last install several months ago I fixed that by connecting a second screen ( CRT )

, selecting the right res for the first screen and then changing the refresh rate from the usual 60 Hz to 59,9 Hz ( odd I know but it's available in the menu ) - it was the only way to display 1920x1080 . The image showed no visible difference from the standard 60 so I didn't mind the 0.01 downsizing :P

Problem is i trashed that old CRT and I'm stuck with an ugly res , I tried to install the 2600 Pcie pkg over the iDeneb's graphic kext but I get the same problem

Radeon 3850 TV Out not availiable or what?

I've got a Diamond Viper HD 3850 (x9505 I think) and 10.5.6 installed. I used the installer from the link in the OP, and everything looks and moves very smoothly on the screen leading me to believe hardware acceleration is functional but I get no options for the TV I use for a monitor. It's not functional at all. I have a CRT but it's not very comfortable to use and I'm DYING to get this thing working... It's the one bit of functionality I don't have with my Hackintosh :hammer:

Most of what I can find on the net about using TV Outs on ATi cards is WAY old (from 2003/2004) and whenever I use google this post is the first thing to come up so I thought I'd ask. The installer brought some excellent results except for this TV out situation.

Can I flash the bios to maybe make it both windows and mac friendly? Any ideas?

Hi all

I am really frustrated with my HD 2400 XT, 1024 display only.

I have tested with some distributions, and methods but I have nothing, a 22'' and a 23'' monitor with the poor 1024 resolution.

In the notebook with the Intel GMA X3100 I can get notebook 1280 and external 22'' or 23'' monitors with their perfect resolution, it changes automatically and I can change position of external with "Displays options".

But the DELL Inspiron 530s HD 2400 XT is a mistery, and after read near to 100 forum pages and reinstall near to 8 times, I post this to find directly help, (I thought that I can resolve the problem and not disturb, but I can't).

My DELL specs are the following

OSX86 iDeneb 1,4 - 10.5.6, (I have tried with iDeneb 1.3, iPC 10.5.6, iATHKOS)

MacOSX in Partition Journaled HFS+

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3 GHz

Start ROM MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410 (Apple Inc.)

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N: ATAPI C108

ATI RADEON HD 2400 XT; ATI (0x1002) - 0x94c1 - 0x0000

I am making an Image disk now, because I am tired of reinstalling a setting up things than I can make work, but if I can't make ATI works, I think I will have to back to Windows, customers and work doesn't let me lost more time.

Please, anyone can help me.

Thanks all

Read all this Topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=137833 there are my 3 methods for 2400XT with 10.5.5 10.5.6 and 10.5.7

Giorgio

What about Shapire HD 3850? I installed Leo4all 10.5.4 for AMD. there is package for 3850. is it works for my card? I am afraid when installing this driver it will broke the system after restart?

Thanks

w/ an ATi Radeon HD 2400 Pro card...

can someone confirm if DVI works? I'm thinking about buying one of these cards... also does dual display work on this or not?

I've read a lot of posts here about it, but there seem to be mixed results, some people claiming full support others saying no DVI and others saying no dual... anyone?

thanks in advance! :pirate2:

edit: the specific card is a Sapphire brand, see here: http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--474508620_Graphics_Cards

(failing that, can anyone confirm if the Apple 'branded' ATi Radeon HD 2600XT Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (MB198Z/A) will work with a PC mobo?)

Another update: Got QE/CI/DVI/Svid working on my Radeon HD 3850 (x9505) with an injector from Netkas I found on his blog. Just check the ati section of his blog. The injector is found in the 5/26 entry (universal injector). Works damn good.

Thanks Netkas!!!

thanks for info...

can you boot your system with dvi + svideo plugged in....??? or you have to boot LEO only with DVI and then plug svideo in and make detect screens???

someone confirmed 3870 svideo works...now I see 3850 works too....great news

thanks for replay

p.s. what model of card do you have????

w/ an ATi Radeon HD 2400 Pro card...

can someone confirm if DVI works? I'm thinking about buying one of these cards... also does dual display work on this or not?

I've read a lot of posts here about it, but there seem to be mixed results, some people claiming full support others saying no DVI and others saying no dual... anyone?

thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

edit: the specific card is a Sapphire brand, see here: http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--474508620_Graphics_Cards

(failing that, can anyone confirm if the Apple 'branded' ATi Radeon HD 2600XT Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (MB198Z/A) will work with a PC mobo?)

For me on my HD 2400 Pro, I need to use a DVI to VGA adapter on the DVI port. There is full software support, but you can't plug a DVI cable into the DVI port. You have to plug an analog VGA cable into a DVI to VGA adaper on the DVI port.

I have Problems with my HD2900Pro. I allready got it working with an old 40GB IBM IDE Drive. Now i reinstalled iPC 10.5.6 on a 80GB ATA drive. After installing with the guide on the first page in safe mode(normal mode gives me pink screen), booting stucks at "AppleDecrypt: page_transform: in_blk = 0X......." and i even cannot boot in safe mode.

i tryed everything. First updated to 10.5.7 and than installed the radeondriver, but nothing works. Please help!

• 3 weeks later...

i have tried this and other´s method whit no result. My vga card is radeon HD 2400 XT (id: 0x94c8; vendor id: 0x1002; revision id: 0x0000; DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)). Is there any way to make it work, enable QE/CI?! 10x and sory for my english.

acer tm5720

cpu: centrino core duo 2,4G

ram: 4G DDR II 667MHz

wifi: bcm 94312 mgc

vga: HD 2400 XT 256Mb

hdd: 320 G

dual boot Windows 7 + iAtkos v7

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP....

thanks for info...

can you boot your system with dvi + svideo plugged in....??? or you have to boot LEO only with DVI and then plug svideo in and make detect screens???

someone confirmed 3870 svideo works...now I see 3850 works too....great news

thanks for replay

p.s. what model of card do you have????

I have the svid plugged in and a crt monitor plugged into the dvi port with an adapter (which leads me to believe the dvi should work...) and it boots up perfectly...the tv does some wierd stuff when it first turns on, but it does get automatically detected and works just fine.

The downside is there's no way to control adjustments on the tv (width/height/position) so it looks kind of stupid when I use it as my main monitor (which I would with windows). Need to find out something about that...

I have a PCI-e Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3850 Ruby Edition w/ 512 GDDR3, x9505 dev id

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i followed on the steps in order to make it work, i rebooted and everything was supported i could run movies under vlc and everything , although after i restarted (adding in my sound kexts and etc) the QE went unsupported and went back to CI software anyone know what happened

glad to hear your ideas :D

Hey i followed on the steps in order to make it work, i rebooted and everything was supported i could run movies under vlc and everything , although after i restarted (adding in my sound kexts and etc) the QE went unsupported and went back to CI software anyone know what happened

glad to hear your ideas :(

BTW i have a hd 2900 XT

EDIT: NEVERMIND i booted with -v -f when usually i boot with -v -f -x safe mode and it worked everything is back to normal ;) THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...
help!!! after install i get blue screens and it hangs there

ati hd 2600 pro pcie

1dvi and 1dvi to vga in use

currently using hd2600xt with dvi to vga adapter coz my monitor crt so ideneb v1.5 hd2600xt pkg not working qe i tried ipc hd2600xt pci-e pkg from 10.5.6 and worked yes finally but ideneb v1.5 best release for my amd 3200+ venice and nforce4 so far.

:D

Hey, I was did this patching but in my case nothing happens. I wasn't manage to fix Quartz function...

But here is the funny thing!

I have Ati 3870 HD, but the OS thinks that my graphic adapter is HD2400 XT !?!

Now that's a strange... Here is a sample picture made from SYS profiler!

picture1fxz.th.png

From this you can see the conflict, the device id is 0x9501 which is accurate info for 3870 HD, but still upper is written 2400 HD. Vendor device id for 2400 is 0x94C3...!?! So I don't get it!?

Any idea how to fix this!?!

Hi, unfortunately I am not writing with the solution....

Just to say that (exept for the card displayed right) I have the same issues: NO WAY to enable quartz extreme! I enabled QL using OSX86tool app. but no QE....

I apllyed any of the suggestion in this and other threads (luckyly with a back up....).

Any more ideas? How do I get the PCI ID of the card? This is my last chance: editing the kext manually if the ID is not listed inside....

Thanks

Gabriele

Hey, I was did this patching but in my case nothing happens. I wasn't manage to fix Quartz function...

But here is the funny thing!

I have Ati 3870 HD, but the OS thinks that my graphic adapter is HD2400 XT !?!

Now that's a strange... Here is a sample picture made from SYS profiler!

picture1fxz.th.png

From this you can see the conflict, the device id is 0x9501 which is accurate info for 3870 HD, but still upper is written 2400 HD. Vendor device id for 2400 is 0x94C3...!?! So I don't get it!?

Any idea how to fix this!?!