[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

Means wrong owner:group. OS x only loads/uses .kext with root:wheel (all files in the content!)

Check: with an ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext you will see some files/folders are NOT root:wheel.

in terminal :

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

delete extensions.mkext and reboot.

To avoid such problems with not usable .kexts use OSX86Tools or Install Kext Helper to install - not drag&drop in finder!!

Thanks ;) I will try that then I will tell you the result.

Thanks again :D

I have an ASUS P5WDH with a ati radeon HD 4200 series. I dont think its an XT or Pro, but its PCIe.

I don't understand how to enable it.

I am using 10.5.4

I see all these posts refer to 10.5.2. Are they relevant. The video out works, but not the second output or the S-Video out. I would love to have dual monitors again.

Since when I posted a thread, I got no reply on it, I was hoping this thread would be alright to ask my question rather than make a whole new thread again.

I have an integrated HD 3200 on a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo. It works well in Kalyway, except there's no QE/CI support. That doesn't bother me. What DOES bother me is I can't get a widescreen resolution out of the sucker no matter what. I tried "Graphics Mode=1280x800" at startup, but it ignores it. I type ?video at bootup, and it gives me a list of nothing but fullscreen resolutions, implying that's all it can support. There is no "LCD Expansion" option in my BIOS settings, either, which I also read can fix the problem.

At this point, I feel that only a driver's going to fix this. After all, I got no widescreen out of Windows until I installed a driver. I read that an HD 2400 driver can be tried on it, as the 3200 is allegedly a "stripped down" 2400.

I've used the search a bunch of times to no avail. The driver suggestion was the best I could find, and that didn't include a driver to try. Now that Time Machine backed up my installation, I'm going to try this Natit driver and see what happens.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help regarding a driver or at least a widescreen fix. If I've gone and posted in the wrong place, I apologize in advance and ask where I should take my woes.

Hi. I have bought this laptop with configuration:

ASUS X50SL-AP281

Core2Duo T5750 2.0GHz

2GB DDR2

250GB SATA

ATI Radeon HD3450

DVD RW

etc

Will I be able to install Leopard on this laptop?? Especially I want to know if the graphic card (ATI Radeon HD3450) is supported.

Thanks!

Hi. I have bought this laptop with configuration:

ASUS X50SL-AP281

Core2Duo T5750 2.0GHz

2GB DDR2

250GB SATA

ATI Radeon HD3450

DVD RW

etc

Will I be able to install Leopard on this laptop?? Especially I want to know if the graphic card (ATI Radeon HD3450) is supported.

Thanks!

I think in a few weeks it will be supported, but needs some own work (patch with instruktion or use some installers).

Some ASUS Notebooks have major problems because of their BIOS to work with 2 Cores. A lot have to disable 1 Core to get it bootet.

You can visit that threat to check / ask :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=90505

If your Model is affected and there is no solution, it is much more bad than the ATI3450 problem. Running only 1 Core in OSX didnt make much sense - than better using Vista.

I dont know where to find my PCIe cards, PCI ID number or how to tell if its all ready there. I have the ATI Radeon HD 2400 PCIe card. On an ASUS P5W DH deluxe. Is that the default PCI id of the ATIRadeonX2000.kext, the HD 2400 PCI ID.

If it is the default. Then i did try add the Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

I didn't run the cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel *

sudo chmod -R 755 *

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/com.apple.kext.info

terminal commands, and i got some type of SUID error after that. I was messing around with other things. When i got that error, so i just reformated and started from scratch.

The error could have been from me editing the /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

too. I went thru it and replaced all the X2000's with HD2400's. Which i dont think was what the, add the PCI ID of your card, meant.

So was all i needed to do? was, add this code in the terminal

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel *

sudo chmod -R 755 *

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/com.apple.kext.info

after copying the Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

And my machine would see my/communicate with the devices of my PCIe HD 2400 video card.

Thats kinda what it looked like in the instructions. is i would have had to mess with the atiradeonx2000.kext if i had one of the other ATI cards.

So I take it my video's a lost cause.

I tried the Natit.kext and I lost video. Black screen in DVI and grey screen in VGA. I had to restore my kexts from Time Machine to fix it (after booting in safe mode of course).

So, is there any hope or word on a driver being developed for the HD 3200? Or at least a way to get widescreen out of it?

I followed your directions, and tried them multiple times, with different osx86 distributions, but I still can't get my 3850 working. On the latest Leo4All and Kalyway if I don't select any graphics drivers, I can normally boot fine. Its not a great resolution, and I don't think its accelerated, but its usable. As soon as I start messing with graphics drivers of any kind I can no longer get to the desktop on reboot. Like I said before, I have tried many ways, many times, but I can never ever boot back to the desktop once I "install" a graphics kext. most of the time I get a black screen, or a checkered screen, but once I got a solid blue screen. Am I missing a step? I am trying really hard to get this working, these graphics drivers are the only thing keeping me from making this computer a dedicated OSX system.

Here are my specs

Intel Core2Quad

Gigabyte P35-DS3L

ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB (9505/1002)

4GB Memory

Sata HDD on AHCI

I pulled all other cards from the system to avoid compatibility issues. Thank you ahead of time for anyone who can offer any advice or point me in the right direction.

Where can i find the PCI ID? Is it the Device id? And where do i have to add this ID in the Info.plist?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX2000</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX2000 1.5.24.9 (5280)</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX2000 Kernel Extension</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.5.24</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>5.2.4</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>ATIRadeonX2000</key>

<dict>

<key>ATIEnableWideBlitSupport</key>

<true/>

<key>ATIUseTearingWideBlit</key>

<false/>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.ATIRadeonX2000</string>

<key>IOCFPlugInTypes</key>

<dict>

<key>ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin</string>

</dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX2000</string>

<key>IODVDBundleName</key>

<string>ATIRadeonX2000VADriver</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOAccelerator</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x94001002 0x94011002 0x94021002 0x94031002 0x95811002 0x95861002 0x95881002 0x94c81002 0x94c91002 0x95001002 0x95011002 0x95051002 0x95071002 0x95041002 0x95061002</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>IOSourceVersion</key>

<string>1.5.24.9</string>

<key>IOVARendererID</key>

<integer>16908288</integer>

<key>sensor-properties</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>device_type</key>

<data>

Z3B1LXNlbnNvcg==

</data>

<key>location</key>

<string>GPU</string>

<key>name</key>

<string>gpu-sensor</string>

<key>polling-period</key>

<data>

AAAAAQAAAAA=

</data>

<key>reg</key>

<data>

AAAAAg==

</data>

<key>sample-period</key>

<data>

AAAAAACYmAA=

</data>

<key>sensor-id</key>

<data>

AAAABg==

</data>

<key>version</key>

<data>

AAAAAg==

</data>

<key>zone</key>

<data>

AAAAAg==

</data>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.mach</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.unsupported</key>

<string>8.0.0</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

There are all DEV IDs listed. If one of them is same than your card (Systeminfo Grafikcard shows that) the driver will load/will be used.

string>0x94001002 0x94011002 0x94021002 0x94031002 0x95811002 0x95861002 0x95881002 0x94c81002 0x94c91002 0x95001002 0x95011002 0x95051002 0x95071002 0x95041002 0x95061002

If your gpu´s ID is already in the list , andf you have problems , its NOT an easy thing to get that solved. Maybe you must use an jnjector (NATIT.KEXT).

Buta lso here, your gpu´s ID must be there present in the natits .plist.

OK, i am getting further.

I found the PCI ID for my HD 2400 PCIe video card.

it is '94c3' just like the HD 2400 Pro. I have a PC still running the same software/hardware and its system profiler showed the graphics card in it with the PCI ID of the 94c3

I see some kext info.plist files with similar numbers and they have a prefix(0x) and postfix(1002/vendorID) added to them. '0x94c31002'

now can you tell me exactly where i need to put this PCI ID number and in what info.plist

i have tried so many different configurations. I came close once, with my graphics card showing as a X1650 instead of the default as an X1300 with a Device ID of 0x7146 that normally shows up. But in system profiler the X1650 showed with the DeviceID of 0x7146 still too.

I installed direct from the iDeneb 10.5.4

And i added the Natit.kext download from the link in this post.

In my /System/Library/Extensions folder. I have the copied Natit.kext folder and another folder named NatitX1300.kext

And that is what my system profiler shows my graphics card as, is the X1300. But its not, its an HD 2400 or HD 2400 Pro.

Should I delete this NantitX1300.kext file/folder

I am going to try the ATI auto configure zip i saw somewhere else in these posts today. No i will not, it was for OSX86 10.4

Update:

Again rebooted after updating kext info.plist files.

back to X1650 driver that is worse than X1300 driver. I get blotches/glitches in the video.

Do i need to repair permissions or something.

This sucks, i need the video card and quartz extreme to work so i can use the applications I need with this computer.

OK, i am getting further.

I found the PCI ID for my HD 2400 PCIe video card.

it is '94c3' just like the HD 2400 Pro. I have a PC still running the same software/hardware and its system profiler showed the graphics card in it with the PCI ID of the 94c3

I see some kext info.plist files with similar numbers and they have a prefix(0x) and postfix(1002/vendorID) added to them. '0x94c31002'

now can you tell me exactly where i need to put this PCI ID number and in what info.plist

I installed direct from the iDeneb 10.5.4

And i added the Natit.kext download from the link in this post.

In my /System/Library/Extensions folder. I have the copied Natit.kext folder and another folder named NatitX1300.kext

And that is what my system profiler shows my graphics card as, is the X1300. But its not, its an HD 2400 or HD 2400 Pro.

Should I delete this NantitX1300.kext file/folder

I am going to try the ATI auto configure zip i saw somewhere else in these posts today. No i will not, it was for OSX86 10.4

This sucks, i need the video card and quartz extreme to work so i can use the applications I need with this computer.

First:

ONLY ONE NATIT.KEXT - never 2 of them.

The natit.kext must have your pci-ID within his .plist or must be spezific for that card.

Also the ATIHDRADEON..kext must have your PCI-ID its .plist. You can simple modifiy (overwrite for exmaple the first with yours).

You must be sure to have the rights setted correct after edit the .kexts!.

in Terminal:

ls -l drag&drop your XXX.kext here, =nothing to enter , -l is small -L

all owner/group MUST be root:wheel - nothing else

If not root:wheel

sudo chown -R drag&drop your XXX.kext here

But even if you made this changes correct your card may NOT work (problem with framebuffer in ATIDRV.KEXT).

Around this forum there a pkg called ati 10.5.x download it on desktop open it with pacifist and install just library.

After that reboot open osx86 tool and enable open gl.

i cant find ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M driver

Wrong forum, but what you need is Callisto.

Hi

I have HD 3850 and when I tried to make it work I got that message:

Have you tried repairing permissions?

post-257850-1221971489_thumb.pngOK, further still and i think what you told mitch_de will get me thru.

I think i may have been wrong in using the DEVID from my PC. It said it was an HD2400 and my software i install on PC is HD2400. But i dug out the box for my card and it is a X1300 after all, so my default install with 10.5.4 set it up correct.

I only need to enable to QE quartz extreme. But my system had a natit.kext and natitX1300.kext too

are those the two kext you say i shouldnt have.

i am just going to read more on the 10.5.x tools i only need to enable

I have a Mobility 2600 DDR2 but I can't change the resolution from 1024x768.

After looking trough this thread in case someone had already asked, I got sick of seeing other PCI ID versions of the card using higher res ;)

tried drumthrasher109's method to the Library-Preferences-systemconfiguration-com.apple.plist but it didn't do anything. I am running the natit driver installed with the 10.5.2 Kalyway release.

Is there a was to modify the resolution?

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9581

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Ok I posted that in the 2900XT thread but I figure I might have more chance to get an answer in the sticky thread :)

I have a problem with the 2900XT driver and I have no clue how to fix it.

Here's what going on (copied from another thread I made) :

I downloaded Coda (from Panic) to try it out - and so far the software looks great.

But I have a problem with managing site. When I manage a site and hit "save" or "cancel", or open a site for the second time (even if I reboot the software), my screen and my keyboard freezes. But I can still move the mouse (nothin happens tho) and I can still open the dvd drive with F12. (It had happened once or twice before, but with Coda I found a way to repeat the freeze)

I have noticed it does not happen in safeboot (aka it seems that it is because of Quartz Extreme or Core Image). I also noticed it runs properly if I remove the video kexts (QE and Core Image being disabled there too).

Would anyone mind downloading Coda (trial version avaible from their website) and tell me if their 2900XT crashes with this software, specifically when editing a Site (might have to do it a couple times in a row for it to crash). I am very curious to know what is causing this bug.

I have a Radeon HD3850/512 and it's not working at all.

I can install 10.5.2 with no problems, yet it won't boot - I get black & white lines for about a second or two, then it returns to the boot screen. Installation of Natit.kext and Editing of ATIRadeonX2000.kext's Info.plist didn't help at all. My device id is 0x95951002, it's a Diamond Radeon HD3850 with 512MB of memory. It works quite well with my onboard Nvidia Geforce 6100 (shared memory), yet there's no graphics acceleration, hence it's unbearably slow at 1680x1050.

There's no error message, no nothing, OS X 10.5.2 (Kalyway) simply remains at the boot screen and doesn't switch over to the GUI. What else can I do? I can boot with my onboard-VGA enabled yet DPCIManager says that both ATI Technologies device IDs (1002:aa18 and 1002:9505) are unknown devices.