[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

First time poster

my 2nd attempt at a Hackintosh - this time with a Rampage Formula, Xeon 3350, 8GB ddr2 1066, and 4870x2 Graphics card

I used iAtkos v7 and Mishak's post to get it all working

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106089

I need help getting more resolution to work on my 4670x2 I've use this thread got Quarts working but the best resolution i get is 1280x800 -

nevermind- I changed DVI port - and got 2560x1600 - silly me

But if i reboot the screen gets artifacts then goes black I have to to be quick to change to 1280x800, then change back to 2560x1600

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Yes, they do enable DVI.

Do they ONLY enable dvi?

I tried with VGA but when the apple bootscreen is suposed to start. Nothing happens.

If YES how do i enable VGA?

ps: i installed leo4all (10.5.2 i guess) in the past. There i came into MAC OS X with my 3870. But also there, the driver didnt worked.

If i do a fresh install now with my 3780 (iatkos) i dont come even to the mac desktop.

With my nvidia 9400gt it works fine btw. But i wanna use my 3780 because its more powerfull.

• 2 weeks later...
Supported Radeon HD cards:
  • Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 2600 Pro, Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • Radeon HD 2900 Pro, Radeon HD 2900 XT
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2
  • Other Radeon HD 2x00/38x0 cards might work as well

Does this work with AGP cards also?

Thanks,

Maurizio

Where is the System folder located?

I found a folder called "Library" in my user folder, but it doesn't have an Extensions folder in it.

Thanks.

Maurizio:

AGP versions of these cards require additional patching. I cannot test it and therefore this guide does only apply to the PCI-E versions.

Edit: My bad. I wasn't looking in my Leopard partition, but in the Finder program instead (which gets me straight to the user folder). Point is, I found the folder and am now proceeding with the guide.

• 1 month later...
This is a small guide on how to set up Natit for PCI-E Radeon HD graphics cards in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.5 & higher). By following the steps below you will get full QE/CI/OpenGL and DVI output. HDMI, S-Video and Composite outputs are confirmed to work with a Radeon HD3870.

It is actually a lot easier than you might think.

Important!

This guide is for advanced users only. If you want a simple installer, check lastExile's installer collection.

In case you have an older version of Leopard installed, see the archived copy of this post.

• Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit (attached to this post)
  2. Extract the archive and copy Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
  3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Open /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.
    • Only if you have a Radeon 2900 Pro or a Radeon 2900 XT download this
      Extract it and copy ATY_Franklin.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns.
    • Otherwise skip this step.

[*]Open Terminal (if you haven't already done so) and type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
  sudo chown -R root:wheel *
  sudo chmod -R 755 *
  sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
  sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/com.apple.kext.info

[*]You are done. Reboot and pray ;)

Additional files

If you have problems with white menus, you might want to try one of these files. Starting with 10.5.5 it should not be necessary to install these patches any more.

• If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.1 download this (white menu fix)
    Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.
  • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.2 download this (white menu fix)
    Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.

Notes:

• It is recommended to perform a clean install. Do not select any graphics-related things during the installation.
  • AMD users: you might need a patched OpenGL.framework.
  • Radeon HD 2400 users: You do not get DVI support. You have to use a DVI2VGA-converter instead.
  • If DVI works, HDMI will work as well (with DVI2HDMI adaptor), no HDMI audio ATM
  • AGP versions of these cards require additional patching. I cannot test it and therefore this guide does only apply to the PCI-E versions.

Changelog:

• 2009-03-01: Updated permissions of Natit.
  • 2009-02-27: Added new Natit.kext and updated the post.
  • 2008-04-03: updated 2900 information, added ATY_Franklin.kext link, added link to FAQ

Thanks to netkas who made these great drivers. For more information check the #radeonhd IRC channel at irc.osx86.hu

Please also have a look at this FAQ!

�"timo tópico, tem que ser corajoso, mas...

Fantástico, funcionou QE / CI perfeitamente! Não testei saida DVI.

MOBO: DG41TY Intel

Processor: E7500 Intel

ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO PCI E.

Muito obrigado!

Snapshot_2009_10_17_19_16_21.tiff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Flawlessly on mine (256MB). Now if it would just do the same in SnowLeo....

Now why doesn't this work for me. I have tried everything there is to try. I can't get the freakin card to work :S Could you please send me the (modified) kext(s) you use?

Hello,

I have the following Problem with my ati Radeon HD 2600: I boot using the generic distribution of chameleon. Everything works as it should, the DVD-Drive seems to be busy while the white screen with the gauge is displayed. After 5 minutes or fewer, I get a wired display pattern. I think, something with the graphics mode must be wrong and I don't know how to fix it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas

For historic reasons - this is the original post:

This is a small guide on how to set up Natit for PCI-E Radeon HD graphics cards in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.1 & 10.5.2). By following the steps below you will get full QE/CI/OpenGL and DVI output. I know there already is a guide but it is horribly outdated. It is actually a lot easier than you might think.

• Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit from here
  3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Open /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.1 download this (white menu fix)
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.2 download this (white menu fix)
    • If you have a Radeon 2900 Pro or a Radeon 2900 XT download this
      Extract it and copy ATY_Franklin.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns.
    • If you have a different chipset skip this step!

sudo chmod -R 755 *

[*]You are done. Reboot and pray :)

Notes:

• It is recommended to perform a clean install. Do not select any graphics-related things during the installation.
  • Radeon HD 2400 users: You do not get DVI support. You have to use a DVI2VGA-converter instead.
  • If DVI works, HDMI will work as well (with DVI2HDMI adaptor), no HDMI audio ATM
  • AGP versions of these cards require additional patching. I cannot test it and therefore this guide does only apply to the PCI-E versions.

Changelog:

• 2008-04-03: updated 2900 information, added ATY_Franklin.kext link, added link to FAQ

Thanks to netkas who made these great drivers. For more information check the #radeonhd IRC channel at irc.osx86.hu

Following steps followed to get display working, but no luck so far ;). Am I missing anything?

Already have Leo4AllV3 (10.5.2) installed. Got my USB wireless working.

1. Got Natit.

2. Extracted the archive and copy Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

3. ATIRadeonX2000.kext was missing from /System/Library/Extensions. So installed Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 (After install NO Reboot. As First time when rebooted after install, Display was total black.)

Now located ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Opened /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with KText editor and verfied PCI ID of my card. It was listed as 0x95811002.

4. Since I have a Radeon 2600 Pro and 10.5.2 downloaded ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle (white menu fix). Extracted and replaced the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded. (Since overwriting file was given permission error. Deleted original file and copied newly downloaded file.)

5. Opened Terminal and Executed following commands:

sudo chmod -R 755 *

6.Rebooted and prayed !!!

Got black windows. Am I doing anything wrong??

So here is my display configuration on laptop under system profler.

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9581

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

According Gateway my display is

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2600 XT PCI Express Graphics

512 MB GDDR3 Dedicated Memory with 1280 x 800.

I will really appreciate if someone can point me or suggest me what need to get proper resolution on my laptop.

Thanks in advance -AJ

• 3 weeks later...

My hardware is:

MSI k9n-neo v2f with amd x2 5600+ and a HIS HD3870 512GDDR4.

I've installed iPC succesfully, and installed the .pkg drivers for amd hd3870 and have resolution change, but no opengl acceleration and no ce/qi thing (i dunno what's that). With this can i have full opengl support ? i don't know how to input my device ID in that file, anyone have a tutorial for that ? and where can i get the patched opengl framework for amd ? thx and sorry for my bad english

• 2 weeks later...

I have an ATI Radeon 2400 Pcie series card. It works great in Leopard right up to 10.5.8. I have a driver pkg that someone was kind enough to make. Upon install it looks like it came ATI themselves..but I think it was a modified version for hackintosh.

Anyways...like I say it works great for Leopard...but this snow leopard business is a different story. I tried installing it...and it gets to the login screen...but when I select a user to login..the screen goes it's normal blue and then comes right back to the login screen.

Oh what a happy day it will be if someone provides us with a Snow Leopard Driver for this card :D. Right now all I get get is 1400x1050 resolution with no C1 or QE

:)

• 2 weeks later...
this kext works with HD2400PRO?

Hi, I am new here. I have been trying to get Mac OS X running on my Dell Dimension 8400 for some time now, and I have been quite happy with my previous installations, except I can't get my ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO working with CI/QE. I have tried using iDeneb v1.3 (Mac OS X 10.5.5) and the drivers from the disk didn't work. I have also tried Natit, and that doesn't work either. I am currently trying iPC Intel (Mac OS X 10.5.6) but I am guessing that it won't work either. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how could I fix it. Thanks.

Update: none of the drivers I have tried work. Anyone know of one that works properly?

• 2 weeks later...
This is a small guide on how to set up Natit for PCI-E Radeon HD graphics cards in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.5 & higher). By following the steps below you will get full QE/CI/OpenGL and DVI output. HDMI, S-Video and Composite outputs are confirmed to work with a Radeon HD3870.

It is actually a lot easier than you might think.

Important!

This guide is for advanced users only. If you want a simple installer, check lastExile's installer collection.

In case you have an older version of Leopard installed, see the archived copy of this post.

• Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit (attached to this post)
    • Only if you have a Radeon 2900 Pro or a Radeon 2900 XT download this
    • Otherwise skip this step.

sudo chmod -R 755 *

[*]You are done. Reboot and pray :)

Additional files

If you have problems with white menus, you might want to try one of these files. Starting with 10.5.5 it should not be necessary to install these patches any more.

Notes:

• AMD users: you might need a patched OpenGL.framework.

Changelog:

• 2009-03-01: Updated permissions of Natit.
  • 2009-02-27: Added new Natit.kext and updated the post.

Hello,

I have tried to make as is described above, but after reboot the system was not loaded. I can load only in safe mode (-x option).

I use 10.5.7 Leopard.

My hardware:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300

video: Saphire ATI Radeon HD2600XT PCIe 256Mb

Motherboard: Asrock P43ME

Please help me. I want to change resolution of a monitor and refresh rate very very match.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an ATI Radeon 2400 myself and I can't get the drivers to work in Snow Leopard. Has anyone been successful with it yet? I've tried 3 or 4 different methods I have seen for Leopard, but they all fail to work on snow leopard, I either get black screen or the same one and only 1024x768 resolution. If anyone has gotten it to work please let us know, I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yea when someone gets the 2400 HD Pro working in snow leopard please post. I have this card and without the CL/GL stuff working certain apps don't work right, like Preview displays blank white pages, ImageCapture doesn't capture nothing, Frontrow doesn't work. Even using the vesa drivers these don't work. So please if anyone has anything working in SL with the 2400 series let us all know!!

Both hands up - all other drivers worked with SL perfectly, waiting so much for any solution with HD 2400...

Yea when someone gets the 2400 HD Pro working in snow leopard please post. I have this card and without the CL/GL stuff working certain apps don't work right, like Preview displays blank white pages, ImageCapture doesn't capture nothing, Frontrow doesn't work. Even using the vesa drivers these don't work. So please if anyone has anything working in SL with the 2400 series let us all know!!

i followed the instructions down to the "T" still no go

my set up retail mac DVD install 10.5 did online updates to 10.5.8

my card is a ATI RAIDEON 256MB (PCI Express 1.0 x16: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT (Dell) ) according to EVEREST also according to Everest the PCI ID is 1002-94C1 / 1028-0D02 (Rev 00)

followed the tut but no CI/QE no kext loaded!!!

someone please assist me before i go bald pulling out my hair...

thanks