[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

Hi there, have a stable System.

One PROB with my HD 2600 Pro

Not Quartz Extreme Running!

Tried the manual install, seems fine. Dual DVI works, OPEN GL works!

Any Ideas what I can do to get Quartz Extreme working? I need that for Timemachine.

My System is a ideneb 10.5.5

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9589

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B1480A-236

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.236

Displays:

QUATO 230:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Quato 213:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Anybody have any word on this and the S-Video output? I think QE/CI worked until I updated to 10.5.5.

Hi there, have a stable System.

One PROB with my HD 2600 Pro

Not Quartz Extreme Running!

Tried the manual install, seems fine. Dual DVI works, OPEN GL works!

Any Ideas what I can do to get Quartz Extreme working? I need that for Timemachine.

My System is a ideneb 10.5.5

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT:

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Device ID: 0x9589

Displays:

QUATO 230:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Quato 213:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

I need some help with my Saphire Radeon HD 3870 DDR3

I've been trying to make it work for several days now, literally spending nights awake, but no results (blank screen, black screen, blue screen of death without mouse, blue screen of death with mouse, half blue screen of death, half black with mouse...)

THe closer I could get was when I installed some specific versions Natit.kext only. My card was recognized, but no resolution change/ no opengl hardware support/ apple render, etc.

Today I've installed leo 10.5.5 (ideneb), along with leopard graphics update (kexts were taken from package using pacifist), followed by this ATI_NEW version.

To my surprise, the computer didn't hang! YAY!

And there really was a resolution change - it could support more resolutions. But that is all, unfortunately. Still no opengl hardware support, really bad fps's, apple render, etc.

I've tried installing opengl.framework that came with one of the numerous versions of Natit that I have, but no success at all.

I am running out of ideas. It seems to be so simple, sorry if I didn't see the info before, but I really have looked for it. A LOT!

How could I force my already recognized Saphire HD3870 to use its hardware with opengl?

Thanks in advance, for you all.

van

i've just put together a new rig, gigabyte ga-p35-ds3r, with celeron 430, and a diamond ATI radeon hd 2600xt 256mb (not pro)Running Kalyway 10.5.2 is it safe to do the firmware update from apple on this card?

[EDIT] Tried it, monitor shut off, computer stayed on, i left it going for about 2 hours just to make sure it was done doing it's thing. Hard power shut off, restarted and surprisingly everything was ok. just figured i'd update incase anyone else was wondering.I saw this was mentioned earlier in the thread but no one answered if it was safe or not.

so to confirm this works on Diamond ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT:

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Device ID: 0x9588

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Haven't Successfully Updated to 10.5.5 yet, but im still working on that.

I need some help with my Saphire Radeon HD 3870 DDR3

I've been trying to make it work for several days now, literally spending nights awake, but no results (blank screen, black screen, blue screen of death without mouse, blue screen of death with mouse, half blue screen of death, half black with mouse...)

THe closer I could get was when I installed some specific versions Natit.kext only. My card was recognized, but no resolution change/ no opengl hardware support/ apple render, etc.

Today I've installed leo 10.5.5 (ideneb), along with leopard graphics update (kexts were taken from package using pacifist), followed by this ATI_NEW version.

To my surprise, the computer didn't hang! YAY!

And there really was a resolution change - it could support more resolutions. But that is all, unfortunately. Still no opengl hardware support, really bad fps's, apple render, etc.

I've tried installing opengl.framework that came with one of the numerous versions of Natit that I have, but no success at all.

I am running out of ideas. It seems to be so simple, sorry if I didn't see the info before, but I really have looked for it. A LOT!

How could I force my already recognized Saphire HD3870 to use its hardware with opengl?

Thanks in advance, for you all.

van

Hello Vanity

I had the exact same problem with the exact same card, what I did was clean install with no Graphic cards driver and Kernel 9.4 patched.

Then Start with -v -x and install the triakis driver. No ediing necessari as our device_id is already in the kexts then reboot and cross our finguers. Voila! perfect QE/CI and resolution changes working

Hope this works

Cordially

Ursus

Hello,

i have a Saphire 3870 and it runs under Leo4All 10.5.4 good, but i want use my TV-Out, i need a full Driver with Options, to buy give it the 3870 "Mac-Edition", but no Driver to Download!

Can anybody help me?

Thanks...

Greet's

Sisko

OK. Hopefully, I'm not beating a dead horse too badly here... This is what i did to get my Sapphire 3870 512Mb DDR4 PCI-E working with full support:

Installation Version of OSX 10.5.4

ATIRadeonX2000.kext has device ID of video card in it already.

Downloaded newest Natit.kext driver from netkas.org (extracted it) and used KextHelper.app (version b7) to install it.

Typed F8 at count down screen after re-boot and started OSX using -x and -v descripters for safe mode and verbose mode.

Opened terminal after OSX start up and edited the Natit.kext with these commands:

sudo pico /system/library/extensions/Natit.kext/contents/info.plist (put in your password and hit enter key)

control + w (for word search: type in character string then hit enter)

IOPCIMatch

Find device IDs- should look like 0x00000000

With the other device IDs, add at the end 0x95011002 (example: <string>0x00000000 0x95011002</string>)

This will allow the Natit.kext to locate the Sapphire Radeon ATI HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI-E

control + O (to save changes hit enter key)

control + X (to exit pico)

Note: Natit.kext/contents/info.plist can be edited and saved before installation with kexthelper to streamline process.

Note: If you can boot into safe mode from darwin countdown screen by typing F8 and using -x for start up options, then you can open system profiler to find the device ID of your graphics card.

I have a Sapphire Radeon Hd3850 and after iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 installation I can't make the setup because I get gray screen.

When I change display type in BIOS to onboard IGP (analog RGB output) I can make setup and the OS X works very well.

Then I install kext for Radeon HD3850 and I change display type in BIOS to PCIE I get kernel panic: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.".

How can I install kexts to get DVI support for Sapphire Radeon Hd3850 before I make setup?

I have MSI HD3850 too.

Some natit.kext give KP for me too , others blue screen - NONE natit worked for me, i think there are little differences between cards or ATOMBIOS which cant handles sometimes by natit.

I gave up try&error with Natit.kext and use gfxstring (in boot.plist) now.

EFIStudio is an great Tool to get gfxstring easy working (EFI or CHAMELEON bootmanager needed, DFE or BOOT132 installs cant do gfxstring).

hnorbi, mitch, I have a 3850 and I have been struggling to get it going, too. I finally got it running with iAtkos v4. It says QE is supported and it seems to recognize all of the RAM, but there are some artifacts on the screen. I hope this helps.

My card is a Sapphire HD3850 1 GB.

hnorbi, mitch, I have a 3850 and I have been struggling to get it going, too. I finally got it running with iAtkos v4. It says QE is supported and it seems to recognize all of the RAM, but there are some artifacts on the screen. I hope this helps.

My card is a Sapphire HD3850 1 GB.

My 3850 works with no problem , thats not the point !

But my card worked never with natit only with making own gfxstring (using EFISTUDIO tool)

I use newest, unpatched 10.5.5 orig. Apple ATI drivers & newest+orig. OpenGL Framework.

I have 1.5.34 (driver version). You should have at least 1.5.32 (1.5.24 or 1.5.28 is very old , from OS X 10.5.2)

The problem of using the GPUXYZ.pkg (from the OSX86 DVD distros) is that they ofter are not new (means 10.5.4 distro uses 10.5.2 drivers for GPU).

For the articacts you may check your Card temp ( compare Win / OS X 2D Mode "by hand").

Or let it run with open case to check if it also getting artifacts.

ATI 3850 has normally no problems with heat (3870 may get very hot in bad fanned/ case)

GPU Temp is mostly not available in OSX. Perhaps (hot area around and Win Problems also) add an case fan (air out) or change fan on ATI.

Hellow..please help...

i set up the drivers for my msi ATI 3850 with triakis pack.(LEO4All 10.5.4)

all works fine (can change resolutions, dual display) but dont have QE.

As i understand i must put my device id in ATIRadeonX2000.kext file, for QE

But i dont have the Kext file. It doesent exist inside the extension folder or everyware else.

So what im i going to do to put the device id to have QE.

Hellow..please help...

i set up the drivers for my msi ATI 3850 with triakis pack.(LEO4All 10.5.4)

all works fine (can change resolutions, dual display) but dont have QE.

As i understand i must put my device id in ATIRadeonX2000.kext file, for QE

But i dont have the Kext file. It doesent exist inside the extension folder or everyware else.

So what im i going to do to put the device id to have QE.

You need the kext !

You DONT need to add your 9505(ATI 3850) 1002 to the plist! , this value is already there.

Try to get all ATIXXXX installed by using pacifist from an Apple Combo (i would take lastest 10.5.5 because drivers are same to 10.5.4).

Save your ATINDRV.kext before! there is your Triakis plugin!, orig. Apple didnt have that in this .kext.

Restore ATINDRV.kext after pacifist install of ATIXXXX.

Remove extensions.mkext

Reboot + pray :)

QE/CI works!

sorry my friend but im new....

I have read many tutorials and im so confused

Ca you explain to me step by stet what i must do

THANKS....

I uploaded newest ATI2000X drivers (Triakis plugin within ATINDRV).

http://rapidshare.com/files/164697638/ATI_..._X2000.zip.html

PLEASE: Its for user johnrx only, RS link is limited to 10 DLs.

1. exttract the zip into an folder (desktop,...)

2. install all .kext with KEXT HELPER or OSXTOOLS (Install Kexts)

"Installing" it with Finder drag & Dop will give wrong rights, not repairable by Diskutility for the Triakkis plugin - use Tools above!

3. restart PC , PRESS F8 to get the EFI/DARWIN Bootscreen and use bootoption -x (safe mode) -that removes old chaches

It worked... almost

now i get QE supported (i saw it in about this mac)

but when im trying to run a program that needs QE a message pop up a says "that this programe needs QE support"

In about this mac panel in graphics i saw that my lg panel is shown 2 times (propably the dual display)

in the first has QE supported but in the second has QE no supported.

Oh i forgot Thank you very much for helping me.......

It worked... almost

now i get QE supported (i saw it in about this mac)

but when im trying to run a program that needs QE a message pop up a says "that this programe needs QE support"

In about this mac panel in graphics i saw that my lg panel is shown 2 times (propably the dual display)

in the first has QE supported but in the second has QE no supported.

Oh i forgot Thank you very much for helping me.......

Do you have 2 Moni connected ?

If no, some Phantom ATi Moni trouble here.

Problem would be: Apps which Qe need, say NO because they need QE on all Moni, even if one is an phantom(not real connected).

Perhaps you make an own thread about that problem and ask for an solution.

This is a small guide on how to set up Natit for PCI-E Radeon HD graphics cards in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.1 & 10.5.2). By following the steps below you will get full QE/CI/OpenGL and DVI output. I know there already is a guide but it is horribly outdated. It is actually a lot easier than you might think.

Supported Radeon HD cards:

• Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 2600 Pro, Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • Radeon HD 2900 Pro, Radeon HD 2900 XT
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2
  • Other Radeon HD 2x00/38x0 cards might work as well

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit from here
  2. Extract the archive and copy Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
  3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Open /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.1 download this (white menu fix)
      Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.
    • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.2 download this (white menu fix)
      Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.
    • If you have a Radeon 2900 Pro or a Radeon 2900 XT download this
      Extract it and copy ATY_Franklin.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns.
    • If you have a different chipset skip this step!

[*]Open Terminal (if you haven't already done so) and type:

CODEcd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel ...

[*]

HI, I did install Kalyway 10.5.2 on my laptop, but y dont I have some problems.

Gateway M-6854M

Ethernet RTL8101

4 gb RAM

Bluetooth

Core 2 Duo 2.0 T5750

ATI Radeon HD2600 XT 512 MB GDDR3 "only detect 256 mb =(" and I only can choise 1024x768 resolution =S

I dont have ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions... What can I do?? =( HEEEEEEEEEEELP PLZ!

I followed this verbatim and got the same thing I have got with every other suggestion out there for these ATI Radeon 2400 cards. I get the dreaded Black & White boxes filling my screen after the Apple gears try to load the desktop.

Is there nothing we 2400 users can do to get a working display? :(