[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

This is so frustrating.

I have a PowerColor HD 2600XT.

I am running 10.5.4 vanilla retail updated to 10.5.5. I boot with Boot-132 into the OS.

I have natit both in the bootloader and in /System/Library/Extensions

With no changes to ATIRadeonX2000.kext my card is identified in System Profiler correctly, and the monitors work fine up to 1680x1050. However, QE is not supporting (which is really a bummer since I'm trying to use iMovie to edit home movies).

So when I go in and add the card's PCI ID (sys profiler reports as 0x9589), clear out extensions.mkext and the caches folder, and reboot, I get the blue screen with a mouse pointer and no login box. Actually the login box will briefly appear as a garbled/scrambled bottom half of the screen, then disappear, then its just blue.

Luckily I clone my entire drive a few times a month, so I just restore the extensions folder to go back to the previous configuration.

I've tried several combinations of the instructions in this thread and permissions repair, etc. and no dice.

I recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 from newegg.com. 3870 on Newegg.com I purchased this card specifically because I read this forum extensively and thought it would be a pretty simple card to get working in OSX. I have tried nearly every option I can think of and have read topic after topic on this and other forums. I just can't seem to get this to work properly. My install is a Boot 132, retail 10.5 install, updated to 10.5.5 via downloaded combo update from apple. When I reboot after the 10.5.5 update without installing any extra kexts I get the "disco" screen. I've been told this is because the framebuffer isn't loaded. Disco Screen Example If I install Natit.kext I get a kernel panic during boot up, not always at the same time during boot but always shortly after graphics driver loads. With Natit.kext installed I can't even boot with -x (safe mode), I get the same kernel panic. The only way to return to bootable system is boot with -s and remove Natit/ATI drivers. I also tried Trakias. With this version I was able to boot with -x and card was recognized properly but no QE/CI of course. When booting normal I got a constant blue screen. I am still going to try using EFI strings and removing Natit.kext all together but I was just wondering if anyone had any advise for me. This is the only missing link for me and a perfect install. Hopefully someone can help.

Don

Hi

i have ATI Mobility HD 2300 (M71) id 7210

with kexthelper i installed natit.kext & atiradeonx2000.kext

captureux9.th.png

but still i cant change resosultion and qe/ci are not enabled

can anyone help me?

MOBILITY HD DOESN'T WORK.

Some people are waiting for 8 months for the driver, nothing is done for the moment.

I explained how to get 1152x864 in order to allow you to wait here.

hey there...

nice to see that there is so much efford to get these stuff running!!!

here's my thing:

...got a problem to get my Radeon HD 3850 AGP running (including QE/resolution change) in Leo4All 10.5.4 for AMD.

my osx86 machine (Non-EFI) is:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket 754)

Asus K8N-E Deluxe MoBo (nforce3)

Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 AGP (512 MB)

I tried quite a lot of different things, but nothing worked out.

First I tried to install the Radeon 3850 driver that comes with the Leo4All 10.5.4 DVD ---> didn't boot at all (Kernel Panic)

Second - I installed Leo4All 10.5.4 without any Gaphic Drivers, it boots fine, network etc. is working and I'm happy so far :angel:

now I started trying to find some working driver ... tried natit, tried different installers, tried with or without the latest AGPGart...

best I could get was: a dark screen with some artefacts which changed when I moved the mouse ... booting in -x mode - card was recognized as 512 MB then at least .. but no QE or 3D stuff working.

would be so nice to get this Radeon running ... thanks for help, hint or tips ...

MOBILITY HD DOESN'T WORK.

Some people are waiting for 8 months for the driver, nothing is done for the moment.

I explained how to get 1152x864 in order to allow you to wait here.

hi again, i installed natit with graphics update and viola qe/ci si enabled and works ok

but resolution is still 1024x768, any suggestions?

skrinws5.th.png

0x94c9 don't works (Ati RADEON 2400)

ATI RADEON HD 2400 (0x94c9) don't work in normal use. If you try to boot in safe mode (with the -x option) you can login and enter in the desktop (no problem). But if try to boot without the -x option the system frezes

0x94c9 don't works (Ati RADEON 2400)

ATI RADEON HD 2400 (0x94c9) don't work in normal use. If you try to boot in safe mode (with the -x option) you can login and enter in the desktop (no problem). But if try to boot without the -x option the system frezes

If you try Leo4all (IIRC) 10.5.2 which I suspect has the working natit Driver, the ATi Mobility Radion HD2400 ~will work~ w/CI&QE. The Catch?!?!

It will only work with the External VGA Port :(

Not of very much use t me on a Laptop though I'm afraid...

MY case is also a notebook. I don't need a external monitor. I'm looking for a way to boot without the -x option.

In Portugal the Toshiba A200 is sold with the aid of the government. Unfortunately it comes with a board ATI 2400 (0x94c9). In this case 0x94c9 don't works.

It has many potential users therefore I ask for support for the ATI2400 graphics board.

MY case is also a notebook. I don't need a external monitor. I'm looking for a way to boot without the -x option.

In Portugal the Toshiba A200 is sold with the aid of the government. Unfortunately it comes with a board ATI 2400 (0x94c9). In this case 0x94c9 don't works.

It has many potential users therefore I ask for support for the ATI2400 graphics board.

I think you misunderstood me, but that's ok.

The ATi Radeon Mobility HD2400 (0x94c9), DOES NOT WORK with the "Internal" Monitor PERIOD!

It seems to down to the way the Driver handles the LVDS thingy (whatever that is?!), the upshot is that there's a fine difference between the 0x9c3 ATi Radion HD2400 and a 0x9c4 ATi Radion Mobility HD2400, and the Driver for the HD2400 such as it is, is not compatible with the Mobility Part, so the only way to get it to work is though the External VGA Port.

Quite useless I agree...

It has many potential users of this card. There is great for the osx86 community if anybody can support this card.

What happens is showed there: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=19803

Thanks a lot.

Try /System/Library/Extensions

I have MSI HD3850 too.

Some natit.kext give KP for me too , others blue screen - NONE natit worked for me, i think there are little differences between cards or ATOMBIOS which cant handles sometimes by natit.

I gave up try&error with Natit.kext and use gfxstring (in boot.plist) now.

EFIStudio is an great Tool to get gfxstring easy working (EFI or CHAMELEON bootmanager needed, DFE or BOOT132 installs cant do gfxstring).

Dear friend mitch_de

I have a Sapphire Radeon 3850 and did a fresh install of iATKOS 10.5.5. Although i've tried to keep my system as vanilla as possible, I did pick the graphics drivers and Universal Natit from the install DVD. Profile showed that ATY_Lamna was loaded. The system seemed to work quite well initially: wide desktop across my two monitors, QE/CI and hardware acceleration. However, the display would hang after a seemingly random amount of time and i would have to hard reboot. Looking at the system log after reboot, i could see a long list of hex numbers prefixed with the string GPU Debug. The time from boot until the hang occurred has progressively decreased, and now the display hangs almost immediately after logging in. I can boot in Safe Mode (-x boot flag) but that is very annoying since i have to adjust the display resolution and arrangement after every boot; and there is no audio.

I have downloaded the kext with the Triakis plugin and also used the modified EFI Studio with the EFI string for the Triakis plugin. First of all, the modified EFI Studio behaves rather erratically: the string that it produces for the same device is different in different runs !! sometimes it writes to com.apple.Boot.plist, and at other times, it doesn't. There are none of these problems with the original EFI Studio.

Anyhow, after a few runs of the modified EFI Studio, i thought i had the correct EFI string for the Triakis plugin in com.apple.Boot.plist and rebooted. Alas, Triakis is still not getting loaded by the kernel. Booting with -x gives a mirrored screen on the two monitors, and Profile says no kext loaded for graphics. Booting without -x hangs the system with the display tries to come up.

If you have had success with the Radeon HD 3850 please share with me how you could get it to work.

Many thanks...

Sorry, but i dont have 2 Monitors connected only one.

Perhaps my special Natit_3850_megadlonFB.kext may help ?

But sure, you must first save your efistrg settings from the boot.plist somewhere.

After that remove the efistring fur gpu and install natit_meg.....

It uses megadlon framebuffer (which also works for me like Triakis + EFI string).

I would check first fi i have new (10.5.5) drivers. megadlon FB is within ATINDRV.kext.

If you dont have that there , maybe to old drivers and this natit cant work.

Natit_3850_megadlonFB.zip

Sorry, but i dont have 2 Monitors connected only one.

Perhaps my special Natit_3850_megadlonFB.kext may help ?

But sure, you must first save your efistrg settings from the boot.plist somewhere.

After that remove the efistring fur gpu and install natit_meg.....

It uses megadlon framebuffer (which also works for me like Triakis + EFI string).

I would check first fi i have new (10.5.5) drivers. megadlon FB is within ATINDRV.kext.

If you dont have that there , maybe to old drivers and this natit cant work.

Thanks for your reply, mich_de. The ATINDRV.kext that I downloaded from your site has the following plugins:

ATY_Alopias.kext

ATY_Franklin.kext

ATY_Iago.kext

ATY_Sphyrna.kext

ATY_Wormy.kext

ATY_Caretta.kext

ATY_Hypoprion.kext

ATY_Lamna.kext

ATY_Triakis.kext

The original from the DVD install has the above, but for ATY_Triakis.kext.

However, ATIRNDRV.kext has the following:

ATY_Megalodon.kext

ATY_PrionaceB.kext

ATY_Prionace.kext

I can try using your Natit_3850_megadlonFB.kext hoping that it will pick up the ATY_Megalodon.kext under ATIRNDRV.kext.

Although i don't have much hope if it'll work, i can give it a shot.

thanks again...

Thanks for your reply, mich_de. The ATINDRV.kext that I downloaded from your site has the following plugins:

ATY_Alopias.kext

ATY_Franklin.kext

ATY_Iago.kext

ATY_Sphyrna.kext

ATY_Wormy.kext

ATY_Caretta.kext

ATY_Hypoprion.kext

ATY_Lamna.kext

ATY_Triakis.kext

The original from the DVD install has the above, but for ATY_Triakis.kext.

However, ATIRNDRV.kext has the following:

ATY_Megalodon.kext

ATY_PrionaceB.kext

ATY_Prionace.kext

I can try using your Natit_3850_megadlonFB.kext hoping that it will pick up the ATY_Megalodon.kext under ATIRNDRV.kext.

Although i don't have much hope if it'll work, i can give it a shot.

thanks again...

Sorry, all OK. way an misstyed.

I meaned ATIRNDRV has megadlon.kext , not the ATINRDV.kext.

Still the same, display freezes after a few minutes :( megadlon.kext is getting loaded though, which i can see in the profile manager. I guess i'll say goodbye to the hackintosh scene for a year or two, until things get stabilized and we don't have to spend time on wild kext chases.

Was reading up on generic (non apple) EFI motherboards. My own MoBo is fairly recent, and hopefully a day will come when i can flash it to EFI firmware and run Mac OS more natively.

In the meanwhile, good luck to you and enjoy your Mac OS X system :)

well, I couldn't sit still and changed from the stock kernel to the voodoo kernel. Guess what, everything is working and very stable now. I can see the megadlon.kext loaded which is driving the Radeon HD 3850. The other graphics card in my machine, a Radeon HD 9250 seems to have caused Alopias plugin to load. The latter graphics card is correctly disabled since there are no monitors attached to it.

Also, I think i know what was the problem was earlier. I had installed the GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext, which i thing was causing the KPs. While the stock kernel simply hung, the voodoo kernel nicely produced a stack trace when it encountered a KP. I could see that GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext was hitting a null pointer from the stack trace, and did the logical thing: removed the blasted kext.

So the system is working very well now, dual monitor wide desktop, QE/CI and audio!! all thanks to the Natit that mitch_de provided!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On to the next project then:

I have a licensed copy of iPartition that I've used to resize partitions on my Powerbook G4. There is an app Coriolis CD Maker that comes with iPartition that creates a bootable CD/DVD so that one can manipulate the partition on which Mac OS X is installed.

Since my Mac OS X86 from iAtkos 5i install (I will call this the HD install) is working very well, I thought that if i take the DVD image that Coriolis CD Maker produces (from Leo 10.5.5) and do the following

1. Create a HFS+ partition on a USB drive, call it USB_Mac
  2. Copy the Coriolis DVD image contents to USB_Mac
  3. Copy the /Extra folder from the HD install to USB_Mac
  4. Copy mach_kernel.voodoo to USB_Mac and edit com.apple.Boot.plist to use the voodoo kernel
  5. Use the same bootloader for USB_Mac as that on the HD install

then i will have a bootable USB with iPartition. I'll call this the USB install.

All the above steps but for the last one are straightforward. Thing is, the bootloader from iAtkos 5i is embedded in the installer and i don't know how to get to the file boot1h, even with with pacifist.

For now, i've used chameleon to install the bootloader to USB_Mac and replaced the file /boot from the one in the HD install. Using -v -x flags in com.apple.Boot.plist in the USB install, i can see that some kexts are getting loaded from the /Extra folder of USB_Mac. I even get to the screen from where i would be running iPartiton, but now the mouse/keyboard are unresponsive, or maybe the display has hung.

What are your thoughts on the above procedure? do you think this can work, or you can say outright that it won't?

In any case, with regard to step 5 above, if i want to use only the bootloader from the iAtkos 5i DVD, but how do i get the files?

looking forward to hearing your views...

Hello,

is the procedure involving the installation of kernel extensions still neccessary? I am thinking about upgrading my graphics card to a Radeon HD 3870 and would like to keep my installation as vanilla as possible. Right now i am using a GeForce 8600GT in Leopard 10.5.6 with EFI strings (QE/CI working) - Is it possible to use the Radeon HD 3870 in the same way (no natit/other kernel extensions, just by adding the proper EFI string)?

Thanks in advance

Kinda off topic, but I managed to mess up my ATI HD 2600 XT drivers by reinstalling leopard graphics update on my real Mac Pro (early 2008, OSX 10.5.6) with pacifist.

Now I have no QE or CI and I'm lost. There seems to be no way of installing the new working drivers, which I working before. Or is there? Is it possible to somehow extract the graphics drivers from the 10.5.6 combo update, which I can download from apple.

Oh man, I it when I mess things up for no reason.

If you have any clues, please contact me via personal messages, IM, or just post your thoughts here.

Thanks.

Edit: Solved my problems by reinstalling 10.5.6 update. :)

So, Mobility Radeon HD soon will die as a product... No driver....(((

So sad...

that means that there will be no more progress with hd mobility? (i have a mobility hd2600). The

only thing we can do is working with an external display? please tell me if there is someone working

on a driver that will make the internal display work...

thanks!