Space age technology - Apple iPod

24 posts in this topic

Some say the iPod is the next generation of portable music especially with the new iPod touch; this following report really shows us that the Apple iPod is a space age technology so to speak.

Recent hi-res photographs of the Space Shuttle Endeavour, which is currently circling the planet at this moment in low-earth orbit, docked to the International Space Station has an interesting focal point for Apple lovers.

If you look closely you can spot an iPod through the crew cabin window (see image below). Now this is not the first time an iPod has been hurtled into space nor is the first picture of an iPod in space, but it is definitely one of the coolest pictures yet. If you take a look at the hi-res photograph you will know exactly what I mean!

ipodspaceaw9.jpg

Click for Hi-Res Image

iPod in Space Fun Facts

• The traditional lithium batteries have to be replaced with specially certified alkaline batteries. (I wonder what the battery life is like?)

• The iPod cannot be brought on board the Space Station, as it has not been certified as safe in that environment.

• No the iPod touch does not get wireless up there.

it'd be strange to use the ipod touch in orbit, it would randomly switch screen directions because of the lack of gravity

lmao that would confuse it! Imagine if some Apple developer had written in some code on the sly that detected zero gravity and displayed some easter egg for the astronauts! Then again it could make it think the accelerometers had broken and display an unhappy iPod face.

I suppose though the touch might be unnecessary in space as without an internet connection it is just an ipod with a big screen (until 2.0 is released!) and also the battery might not be as easily replaceable as the classic.

Unless they are running iPodLinux on it and using that to run the AutoPilot system of the Space Shuttle. That is the reason why the iPod is in the Cockpit.

Also wont the HDD shutdown, coz at zero gravity, it will probably trigger the Free Fall mechanism. Or does the Shuttle have its own Artificial Gravity.

Unless they are running iPodLinux on it and using that to run the AutoPilot system of the Space Shuttle. That is the reason why the iPod is in the Cockpit.

Also wont the HDD shutdown, coz at zero gravity, it will probably trigger the Free Fall mechanism. Or does the Shuttle have its own Artificial Gravity.

As far as I know artificial gravity is still the stuff of Science fiction.