[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

All the above specs seem to be real close to the GA-965P-DS3P. I can't guarantee it will would run 100%, but if it was my system I would try it for sure! Just make sure you have all the latest kext files installed. You might have to update the audio kext after new board install...but I don't see many problems getting it going.

I noticed the GA-965P-DS3P board is on the 3rd revision....just to give you a heads up to get the latest board.

Hi everybody;

i´d like to see if anyone happened this,

i have the giga mother board with a intel dual coro 3gh 8400 micro, already installed kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla kernell with all patch but my system don´t recognise the micro, when you click in about this mac in processor just says 3 ghz unknown,

does anybody know why?

The rest of the system goes like a bullet :(

Hi everybody;

i´d like to see if anyone happened this,

i have the giga mother board with a intel dual coro 3gh 8400 micro, already installed kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla kernell with all patch but my system don´t recognise the micro, when you click in about this mac in processor just says 3 ghz unknown,

It's a cosmetic issue.

Use PCWiz's osx86tools to fix.

Thanks for the guide pcwiz. i went true no troubles. got a little scared after i installed the newest nvinstaller because it took so long to load. i thought it had stalled the 1st time so i rebooted and ran it under -v -x. was about to press the restart button and give up after taking a few photos for a post here because it took so long then boom. im in. everything prefect. thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone done the 10.5.5 update?

@longtom - I updated from 10.5.2; nearly everything seems to work. Follow netkas' instructions found here for the 10.5.3 update. First reboot will hang; second one should work just fine. Boot with -v to see any errors. You'll need to re-install the audio patch as well as AppleSMBIOS.kext. Make sure you backup your /System/Library/Extensions folder before attempting the update.

The only problem that I have is that for some reason I can't get my video drivers to work anymore. I have NVidia GeForce 8600 256mb, and if I re-install NVInject, it still doesn't give me QE/CI support. I'm not sure where to go from here; I even tried editing the info.plist files in NVInject.kext and GeForce.kext with my device ID (0402) but that didn't do anything.

Anyone have any ideas? Everytime I've updated, a simple re-installation of NVInject has worked. This time, zilch.

@longtom - I updated from 10.5.2; nearly everything seems to work. Follow netkas' instructions found here for the 10.5.3 update. First reboot will hang; second one should work just fine. Boot with -v to see any errors. You'll need to re-install the audio patch as well as AppleSMBIOS.kext. Make sure you backup your /System/Library/Extensions folder before attempting the update.

The only problem that I have is that for some reason I can't get my video drivers to work anymore. I have NVidia GeForce 8600 256mb, and if I re-install NVInject, it still doesn't give me QE/CI support. I'm not sure where to go from here; I even tried editing the info.plist files in NVInject.kext and GeForce.kext with my device ID (0402) but that didn't do anything.

Anyone have any ideas? Everytime I've updated, a simple re-installation of NVInject has worked. This time, zilch.

THX! have you taken the last nvinstaller? NVinstaller 9f23

• 1 month later...

Updated to 10.5.5 using this guide.

1) Archive 1.1.5: Prepare for Combo Update

2) MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.5

3) Archive 1.1.5: Post Combo Update Patches

Cutomize:

Kernel: 9.5.1 Vanilla

Chipset: Just restore My Chipset Drivers

Video: nothing

Audio: ALC-Injector: ALC889

Network: Just restore Network

System Functions: what you need + SMBIOS resolver

4) 9f23installer klick

Only option one without EFI

5) run EFI studio klick

Check Display + Driver, Add Device, write to com.apple.Boot.plist

6) reboot

Hmm...I was just there a couple days ago and all was running fine.

Hope all is well with PCWiz!

as far as i've read on his blog, he's moving he's site and download section to another server, so just wait till he' moved all stuff and it'll be fine

I see you have the 8400GS and I modified the kext file for the 8600GS.

Oh well...if you can hold off until tomorrow I can redo the kext file for the 8400GS.

Edit update:

The above attached kext file was edited for 8400GS...not the 8600GS. My mind turned to mush after awhile.... :censored2: !

Thats cool bro. I havent chekc this thread for sometime :D

I'm running 10.5.5 now, everything works :D

Now to my inspiron....................:D

Is it me or is PCWiz's blog and download section dead?

yeah, its not dead..maybe pcwiz is too busy at the moment?

Hope someone is still monitoring this thread.

I used this guide to install kalway 10.5.1 on my gigabyte ga-ep35c-ds3r geforce 7600 GT quad core Q6600.

Everything goes fine during the install until i upgrade to 10.5.3

After the reboot mac os x sits on BSD root disk 4,1,major14,minor19

and moves no further.

I always boot with verbose to see what happens on boot and have noticed before theres

a small delay at this part of the boot process but now its doesnt move on like before.

Anyone else come acorss this problem or have any ideas on how to work around it?

BTW i didn NOt reboot after installing the 1_kalywayupdcombo10.5.3 as stated but carried on with the next isntallation of 2_kalywayupdcombo10.5.3 as stated in the guide.

thanks for your time

Martin N

I expect i havent given enough information for help to be given so heres so more detail which might help.

My complete system specs are:

Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R 

2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600

4 gigabyte of memory via 2 modules

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 

PIONEER SATA DVD-RW DVR-215D [CD-ROM drive]

Seagate PATA (IDE) ST3250824A [Hard drive] (250.06 GB)

thanks

Martin 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great guide!

Everything seems to work fine until I tried installing a "vanilla kernel" from nvinject

I thought that was for a 256mb 8600gts xfx card. My problem is the time it takes to login, it takes a few minutes and then it goes in.

It hangs with this system/library/coreservices/loginwindow.app/contents/macos/loginwindow27

login window application started.

How can I start fresh with the graphics drivers?

Also was just looking at the osx86tools, should I do a restore to default? Would that keep me at 10.5.4 still?

10.5.4 version of this guide is OUT! With control center app and Chameleon :D

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=121849

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a Leopard version of the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 guide and software install pack. It uses the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD + Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update and its only compatible with Core 2 or Pentium Dual Core (not Pentium D) series processors.

This guide now comes in two versions:

Old Version (Manual Driver Installation)

• 7 page full installation guide for installing Mac OS X 10.5.2 with full hardware and software support, 100% compatibility (Audio, LAN, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart) in DOC and PDF formats
  • ALC889a Audio Drivers for full output/input audio
  • Realtek RTL8111B Ethernet drivers
  • netkas 9.2.0 kernel with shutdown fix
  • Default AppleSMBIOS-27 by macdotnub
  • AppleACPIPlatform PS/2 keyboard and mouse fix
  • Latest ApplePIIXATA driver by Dune

New Version (Easy Automatic Driver Installer)

• 6 page full installation guide for installing Mac OS X 10.5.2 with full hardware and software support, 100% compatibility (Audio, LAN, Sleep, Shutdown, Restart) in DOC and PDF formats
  • Automatic Driver Installer that installs all the kernels and kexts for you automatically!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update warning: Do not install the Time Machine update from Apple Software Update right now, it has not been tested on these boards and the results are unknown. Also do not install the 10.5.3 update, there are many bugs. Just wait for now.

Note about kalyway kernels package: Many people have said that they cannot find the kalyway kernels package that is required by this guide. So for you convenience, here is the link.

Bug in installer: Several people have said that there is a small bug in the installer where after you do a full install of all the drivers, sound still doesn't work. Thankfully, the simple fix is you run the installer a second time, this time ONLY choosing the sound drivers and nothing else.

The new version is recommended since it is the fastest and easiest, however both versions are up for download in case you want to go through the learning process ;

This has been tested and checked thoroughly, includes a BIOS settings template, a couple screenshots and COMPLETE FULL instructions on a walkthrough of the 10.5.1 install and detailed 10.5.2 update instructions. Also includes many side tips that cover everything and make sure that you don't mess up.

This guide works with any Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P and DS3R based motherboard (including P35C, EP35, etc.) This guide should also work for the DS4 model as it has the exact same hardware. I tested it on a DS3P, full specifications in sig.

Download

You can download the new version of this guide (7.89MB) with the easy installer here (RECOMMENDED)

Mirror for new version (with installer)

You can download the REV2 old manual installation version (5.65MB) of this guide here (HARDER)

Mirror for old version (manual install)

If you have any feedback or questions, please post them here :wacko:

Hiya.

I just want to say thanks because of your guide i have managed to successfully installed 3 boxes:

1) EP45 DS3L with core 2 duo

2)P5KSE with core 2 quad q6600

3) GA935GME with a dual core

now I just bought a GA EP45 DS3LR with intel chipset q9550.

I noticed a big difference in installing, the 3 boxes took less than 30 min to complete each fresh installation, but this mobo and chipset took me like 1 Hr and 40 min to finish fresh installing.

i have no idea . because since its a core 2 quad, it should be faster right?

prior to installing the kalyway 10.5.2, i made 3 partition in my 500GB drive.

50gb, 50Gb and the rest for data.

I installed the 50gb for xp

then i boot from the kalyway dvd and using the terminal to do the simple dual boot terminal commands from the site in wiki.osx86 regarding simple dual boot

then the next 50gb i installed kalyway 10.5.2 leopard.

then after the first install, my Computer Hangs at"Verifying DMI Pool Data".

now. my concern is not the about the hang part. its the time it takes to install. 1hr 40 min....it ust doesnt sems right as i've made 3 boxes successfully with installation under 30 min.

maybe you can help me out. is it the chipset q9550? or is ot the mobo. coz ur guide is about Ds3L.. mine is DS3LR

pls help me out. thanks you for your attention.

>guide is about Ds3L.. mine is DS3LR

Have you compared the specs between the two boards? Are the components the same?

The Q9550 shouldn't be an issue.

yes the boards are identical. the 'R' is just that it supports Raid.

in BIos mode, i have the option to set either AHCI or RAID. and i choose AHCI.

anyone else using the EP45 DS3LR version?