Fully working 10.5.2 AppleSMBIOS and Source finally available!

mac.nub

150 posts in this topic

This project is no longer maintained, if the kext is needed you can find it on various OSx86 install DVDs, however I no longer have a copy of the kext/source code, and therefore can not offer it for download.

You should be using Chameleon with a modified smbios.plist now anyway.

---

Earlier today I made some modifications to the AppleSMBIOS-27 Source.

Note: As per usual, this requires PC_EFI

Now a fully working AppleSMBIOS for 10.5.2 is finally available, will all system profiler information including Memory showing correctly (unlike the Netkas release).

CS3, Final Cut Pro, etc. Functions Correctly, Bluetooth, DVD Player etc. Problems are fixed, Memory Information shows properly under System Profiler etc.

This AppleSMBIOS has various new features, including Netkas' Serial Number fix (for applications such as Second Life), along with User-Settable options for Serial Number, BIOSVersion (which is transformed into Boot ROM Version), Memory Speed, and Memory Type. Please see the included User-Commands.rtf for more informations on the user setable options and what they do.

memfixsu6.th.png

You are able to grab various versions from the downloads section on my website.

Rev. 6 - Versions Available: iMac (for PCs), MacBook (for Laptops)

Also note: Model Identifier can no longer be set by AppleSMBIOS alone, please use netkas' kernel if you want a fake one. His sets it to MacPro3,1 as we discovered what needed to be changed.

Edit: Source Code for this has also been released as required by the APSL v2.0 and Patch is released under GPL v3 - Please see my website for details/download.

Updates:

21/04/2008

- Revision 6 Released.

Changes since Rev. 3:

21/04/2008

- Fourth Release (Rev. 6).

- Cleaned up/removed some older code.

- Removed user specifiable value for Model Identifier - this was causing Disk Utility to Crash!

- Added option to specify serial number.

18/02/2008-25/03/2008

- Internal Release (Rev. 4 & Rev. 5).

- User specified values for Model Identifier, Memory Speed and BIOSVersion.

- Updated comments.

- Implemented Netkas' Serial Fix.

- Known Bugs: Causes Disk Utility to Crash.

24/02/2008

- Revision 4 in the works - see here for info.

- I'm going to re-itterate the point here that donations are much appreciated... sites like this and working on the projects cost time and money. If you're feeling kind and fancy sending me one, please see the donation page on my site.

- Site was down yesterday - It's back up now.

- The following are the stats... just for this week.

mdninfostatswl5.th.png

If you see the note on your web site "Bandwidth limit exceeded" has your account used more than 167 GB for today, which is our daily bandwidth limit. Your web sites are temporary suspended rest of the day.

Your web site it back online again about GMT 01.00.

18/02/2008

- 1333Mhz DDR3 version added to site. (Uses revision 3 source)

17/02/2008

- Revision 3 Released, Multiple versions added.

- Revision 2 compiled.

16/02/2008

- Revision 1, non-public release.

Enjoy,

~mac.nub

Thanks mac.nub! Trying ASAP, I'll report back!

EDIT:

You're right, now all my info is there :D , also tried CS3 and Final Cut Pro, everything OK. Unfortunately I can no longer play VIDEO_TS folders or ISO files in DVD Player. I got this error:

16/02/08 09:35:40 p.m. DVD Player[293] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary. 
16/02/08 09:35:41 p.m. [0x0-0x19019].com.apple.DVDPlayer[293] error: Error getting a reference to /options. 
16/02/08 09:35:41 p.m. com.apple.launchd[170] ([0x0-0x19019].com.apple.DVDPlayer[293]) Exited with exit code: 1

This is not new, this problem exists with current netka's and vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext. But with 1.0.11 (ToH's I think) it works fine. Would you take a look at this if you have some spare time? -_-

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work pal.

EDIT:

Fixed with latest version!

Also note: Model Identifier can no longer be set by AppleSMBIOS alone, please use netkas' kernel if you want a fake one. His sets it to MacPro3,1 as we discovered what needed to be changed.

With netkas' AppleSMBIOS I have Model Identifier Dell XPS420, with yours I get Dell XPS420 IDDeproduct-name

Looks like a parsing error, any thoughts?

Earlier today I made some modifications to the AppleSMBIOS-27 Source.

Note: As per usual, this requires PC_EFI

Enjoy,

~mac.nub

Works great my last annoyance finally gone no more Hack.in.t0sh for the Boot ROM using this and for some reason I get the Mac Pro MacPro3,1 using the vanilla kernel on a retail disk install, THANKS.

Thanx Boet, now my sleep even works!

I see your memory values and mine are the same, is it just a fixed value that you entered?

My memory speed is showing up fine!

and its added the 2x cpu speed to give me a bus speed of:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: Dell DXP061

Processor Name: Intel® Core2 CPU 6420 @

Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

CPU Features:SSE3 SSSE3

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 4.27 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707251237 (Dell Inc.)

Serial Number: CK034KMHK5B

L2 Cache: 4 MB

SticMAN

Thanks mac.nub! Trying ASAP, I'll report back!EDIT:You're right, now all my info is there :D , also tried CS3 and Final Cut Pro, everything OK. Unfortunately I can no longer play VIDEO_TS folders or ISO files in DVD Player. I got this error:
16/02/08 09:35:40 p.m. DVD Player[293] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary. 16/02/08 09:35:41 p.m. [0x0-0x19019].com.apple.DVDPlayer[293] error: Error getting a reference to /options. 16/02/08 09:35:41 p.m. com.apple.launchd[170] ([0x0-0x19019].com.apple.DVDPlayer[293]) Exited with exit code: 1

This is not new, this problem exists with current netka's and vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext. But with 1.0.11 (ToH's I think) it works fine. Would you take a look at this if you have some spare time? :blush: Anyway, thanks a lot for your work pal.

this means next :IODT:/options has nvram options in it,

this node creates by appleefinvram.kextif u misses this kext, u will not have this node

old smbios, 1.0.11, i made there creation of IODT:/options node . so it works for u.

to check if IODT:/options works fine, make next things

sudo -s

# nvram netkas=rules

# nvram -pif u will see there netkas rules

then it works fine, otherwise it doesn't, and may result in dvd player crash.

Earlier today I made some modifications to the AppleSMBIOS-27 Source.Note: As per usual, this requires PC_EFINow a fully working AppleSMBIOS for 10.5.2 is finally available, will all system profiler information including Memory showing correctly (unlike the Netkas release).CS3 Functions Correctly, Bluetooth etc. Problems are fixed, Memory Information shows properly under System Profiler etc.For now you are able to grab it from the downloads section on my website.Also note: Model Identifier can no longer be set by AppleSMBIOS alone, please use netkas' kernel if you want a fake one. His sets it to MacPro3,1 as we discovered what needed to be changed.Enjoy,~mac.nub

U made memory info wrong way.see.

first my dump has hex values, second , same in strings

| "dimm-manufacturer" = <4d616e75666163747572657230004d616e7566616374757265723100>

| "dimm-serial-number" = <5365724e756d30005365724e756d3100>

| "dimm-part-number" = <506172744e756d3000506172744e756d3100>

| "dimm-manufacturer" = <"Manufacturer0","Manufacturer1">

| "dimm-serial-number" = <"SerNum0","SerNum1">

| "dimm-part-number" = <"PartNum0","PartNum1">

see ?

i guess u set values as char * ohaivalue = "0xdeadface";

but right way to set it this way  - char * ohaivalues = { 0xde, 0xad, 0xfa, 0xce };

mac.nub With you AppleSMBIOS I get error reading the memory speed

Unfortunately AppleSMBIOS can not detect all memory speeds correctly, this has always been a problem for me with my PC and I am going to release various versions of AppleSMBIOS with memory speeds hardcoded, either that or look into some kind of detection routine.

I see your memory values and mine are the same, is it just a fixed value that you entered?

Manufacturer, Part Number and Serial Number have all been hardcoded from real Apple RAM, as this is needed for it to function correctly.

16/02/08 09:35:40 p.m. DVD Player[293] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary. 
16/02/08 09:35:41 p.m. [0x0-0x19019].com.apple.DVDPlayer[293] error: Error getting a reference to /options. 
16/02/08 09:35:41 p.m. com.apple.launchd[170] ([0x0-0x19019].com.apple.DVDPlayer[293]) Exited with exit code: 1

This is not new, this problem exists with current netka's and vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext. But with 1.0.11 (ToH's I think) it works fine. Would you take a look at this if you have some spare time? :)

Will fix that ASAP - Edit: Just tried it on my laptop and it works fine, must be something that only occurs on some systems. Will add fix anyway.

netkas' has always made loginwindow crash on my Celeron box when trying to open About This Mac. Think you could whip up an SMBIOS that keeps loginwindow alive while ATM is open? :blink:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking there, drop me an email via my site and i'll look into it for you.

Works well on mine. Unlike your previous Applesmbios, memory is recognize as DDR and not DDR2.

Thanks!

I may be wrong but it seems to be a Dell specific issue because it does that on my Dell laptop too. I'll make a release with DDR2 hardcoded for Dells.

U made memory info wrong way.see.

first my dump has hex values, second , same in strings

| "dimm-manufacturer" = <4d616e75666163747572657230004d616e7566616374757265723100>

| "dimm-serial-number" = <5365724e756d30005365724e756d3100>

| "dimm-part-number" = <506172744e756d3000506172744e756d3100>

| "dimm-manufacturer" = <"Manufacturer0","Manufacturer1">

| "dimm-serial-number" = <"SerNum0","SerNum1">

| "dimm-part-number" = <"PartNum0","PartNum1">

see ?

i guess u set values as char * ohaivalue = "0xdeadface";

1) I didn't do it that way.

2) It is shown exactly the way it is on a real Mac (as shown in IOReg Device Tree dump), so there's nothing wrong with it at all.

I'll get on with fixing all the above issues ASAP - probably while I wait for Windows to re-install on my PC this afternoon.

Edit: Actually, i'll do it now.

Cheers,

~mac.nub

FYI my Dell reports DDR2 properly with your AppleSMBIOS so it must be machine specific. (or laptop specific)

Cheers for letting me know :)

---

I've just compiled AppleSMBIOS that has the DVD Player fix. Edit: Now available on my site.

I am also compiling versions for Various Memory Speeds/Model Identifiers too which will be put on my site later today.

~mac.nub