Fully working 10.5.2 AppleSMBIOS and Source finally available!

mac.nub

150 posts in this topic

The current version of AppleSMBIOS sets compatible, model and manufacturer the hardcoded values. Netkas' kernel sets the Model Identifier to MacPro3,1.

To change the Manufacturer you'll need to download the source off my site, and change the value using XCode and re-compile it. To change the Model identifier, you'll need to make your own kernel, unless netkas changes something.

~mac.nub

I am a bit confused. I thought your version of AppleSMBIOS sets the model name to the one detected from the motherboard?

I am a bit confused. I thought your version of AppleSMBIOS sets the model name to the one detected from the motherboard?

It does, however the Model name can no longer be set by AppleSMBIOS alone, it has to be done by the kernel now, which means as netkas hardcoded "MacPro3,1" as the model identifier, that's what shows.

~mac.nub

how did people in the beginning of the thread get their mobos to show up properly?

I must be missing some obvious fact or something lol... :)

btw I'm pretty sure I'm using vanilla kernel... does that have to do with anything?

God what a catastrophe for me.

I am working with the BadAxe2 system listed in my specs.

I originally installed Kalyway and then upgraded to 10.5.2 and did the graphics update (all using Devins guide).

Then I installed an earlier version of mac.nubs AppleSMBIOS.kext which took away the "hack.in.tosh" from system profiler and everything was working great.

Then the new version -27 came out so I decided if that if the previous versions worked then this new one must work also.

Well it did but it always breaks my sound, and I cant get it working no matter what I try.

So then I go searching and think that i found the earlier version and I install it and totally break my whole system.

Dead, wont boot spinning thingy and then the circle with a line through it.

Now, since I had recently just figured out how to get a good stable system installed with pc_efi_v8 which was a huge all day hassle to get it installed and finally booting with guid and efi_v8 I should have left well enough alone.

Well tonight, it has taken me the better part of 6 hours to get back to zero which is 10.5.1, guid and efi_v8.

Now I am scared to death to try anything new like updating to a different AppleSMBIOS.kext to clear up my system profiler.......jeezes this has got to be easier.....

I know I can update to 10.5.2 with no issues as I have done that a few times now, but breaking the system to the point where I have to partition and start from scratch is brain death for me.

mac.nub, I need some help brother......save me from myself.

I need a bowl of coco puffs. :D

Havin some puzzling questions here. So I download the AppleSMBIOS default from the site and I install it, clear all caches, and boot with -f. However I did not notice any difference in the info in System Profiler between the mac.nub SMBIOS and the vanilla version. My system profiler main screen is attached.

sysprof.tiff

Havin some puzzling questions here. So I download the AppleSMBIOS default from the site and I install it, clear all caches, and boot with -f. However I did not notice any difference in the info in System Profiler between the mac.nub SMBIOS and the vanilla version. My system profiler main screen is attached.

I see no mention of repairing the permissions so use the below in a console its worth a try.

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

I also repaired permissions, sorry forgot to add that ^_^ What I need is a fool proof way to check that it is properly installed. I've already emailed mac.nub through his site.

P.S. mac.nub, solve all your bandwith problems by hosting the files on one of those free hosting accounts or even file sharing services like Mediafire :)

Would it be possible to add a patch to this for VMWare support? Or is that all in the kernel?

For VMWare support it is kernel dependent.

If you use the ToH kernel, you can use the boot flag -vmware if need be.

Cheers,

~mac.nub

I have a qestion regarding memory issue.

In the About This Mac dialog I see 2GB RAM reported which is correct but when I Look in Sys Profiler I see in one bank 1GB and in second bank 0,5 GB. Which amount of RAM is actually seen and used by OS X?

cheers

• 1 month later...
Hi mac.nub,

almost perfect but SystemProfiler says bus speed is 100 MHz instead of 166 MHz (I have CD T2300). Is there any fix for this?

Regards,

Marius

To do that FSB speed would have to be hardcoded, if you really want that done drop me an email via my site. Either that or just use the source I posted and modify it yourself.

~mac.nub

Macnub I two have this same issue as Mariusz. My bus speed shows at 100mhz with all of your SMBIOS files (rev3) & CPU 1.8ghz unknown. I have also tried netkas SMBIOS with same results. At least with the vanilla SMBIOS file I get my 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo to show with 200mhz bus & everything else also reporting correctly same as yours.

My true bus speed is supposed to be 800 and I have never gotten that to show with my Lenovo n200 0769 with any SMBios. I just care about the bus speed as that is critical. I'm sure there are more that would benefit from a bus speed adjusted SMbios.

Can you help me and Mariusz out?

I also have the below problems that I am trying to solve and i'm somewhat of a noob as I dont know if there related to SMbios or something else.

They are:

1. Power management not detecting when on AC from battery using this powermgmt bundle 137. After initial install once I unplug the AC and go to battery from that point forward the system believes it is on battery, even after restart. Even though its charging and the indicator is showing the percentage going up it still thinks its on battery.

2. The above problem prevents me from using time machine as it must be plugged in to use.

3. Only vanilla smbios.kext works for my system due to bus and cpu being detected wrong. None of netkas's SMbios work for me. detects unknown core cpu and 100mhz bus instead of core 2 duo and 200mhz bus with vanilla. Infact my bus is supposed to be 800 and I can not find an SMbios file to detect it like that. I tried some of the SMbios files from here also

4. Speedstep app does not always load on startup. Even when added to startup items. If it does not load my system overheats and will shut off. Could be from bad SMbios or other incorrect file. Not sure.

5. Sounds do not always play especially when coming back from idle. I have a rare sound codec ALC862. Driver found here

Not sure if sound problem could be because of a bad SMbios file or other incorrect file being used.

Mac.nub if you can shed some light on any of these problems. I am doing a lot of testing to get to the bottom of all of this.

THANKS

I originally applied the macbook applesmbios and it did not change anything.

Applied the macbook+ram applesmbios and got KP on -x, rebooted and went back to macbook applesmbios.

The Macbook applesmbios worked great! Model identifier and model name are both set correctly now. Thanks a lot mac.nub!

AppleSMBIOS-27 - Rev. 6 finally released! - Changelog and answers to recently asked questions below.

AppleSMBIOS-27 Change Log:

21/04/2008
- Fourth Release (Rev. 6).
- Cleaned up/removed some older code.
- Removed user specifiable value for Model Identifier - this was causing Disk Utility to Crash!
- Added option to specify serial number.

18/02/2008-25/03/2008
- Internal Release (Rev. 4 & Rev. 5).
- User specified values for Model Identifier, Memory Speed and BIOSVersion.
- Updated comments.
- Implemented Netkas' Serial Fix.
- Known Bugs: Causes Disk Utility to Crash.

17/02/2008
- Third Release.
- Checks if product-name exists if so it uses it, else uses specified value.
- Versions with Memory Speeds hardcoded (667, 800, 1066Mhz DDR2).
- Versions with hardcoded Model Name and Boot Rom Version (MacBook2,1, MacPro3,1, iMac7,1).

- Second Release, DVD Player bug fixed.

16/02/2008
- Initial Release.

Enjoy,
~iGuru/mac.nub

@~pcwiz - Sorry for the slow reply, if you haven't noticed any changes then the old version was probably still cache'd or something.

@Nadeo - np, glad to hear it :)

@rudefyet - Can you provide me with more info on this?

@superfront - 2GB should be being used, to confirm this you can check using Activity Monitor.app (/Applications/Utilities) under the System Memory Tab.

@00Diabolic - With regards to FSB being displayed incorrectly, it seems this is down to the kernel rather than AppleSMBIOS, as it seems that the FSB speed can not be set via AppleSMBIOS (I have tried hardcoding it).

1. No idea about that, I can safely say it's nothing to to with AppleSMBIOS though.

2. Again, no idea.

3. See answer for FSB above.

4. Again, nothing to do with AppleSMBIOS.

5. Sounds like a driver specific error, see if you can find another driver that works for it, e.g. try AppleHDA Patcher.

@chentwoten - np, glad you got it it working eventually!

~mac.nub

Hi

I try this new applesmbios rev6. (Imac)

The ram OK

The front side bus OK

The serial number Ok (I use default number)

I Try with Apple Logic 8.0.1 & the system seems to be more snappy.

I´m very happy!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot for your work.

Cheers

@00Diabolic - With regards to FSB being displayed incorrectly, it seems this is down to the kernel rather than AppleSMBIOS, as it seems that the FSB speed can not be set via AppleSMBIOS (I have tried hardcoding it).

1. No idea about that, I can safely say it's nothing to to with AppleSMBIOS though.

2. Again, no idea.

3. See answer for FSB above.

4. Again, nothing to do with AppleSMBIOS.

5. Sounds like a driver specific error, see if you can find another driver that works for it, e.g. try AppleHDA Patcher.

~mac.nub

mac.nub

THANKS for the Reply. I actually have most of those problems fixed now.

1. fixed with special powermgmt bundle from superhai. Had to replace 0x01 with 0x80 in the ACPIbattery entries. Apparently my system is different from the default for most users of the powermgmt bundle. See

2. Fixed as per above.

3. What you said above is not correct though. The SMBIOS can set the FSB by hardcoding it. See my console msg below. Superhai made me a SMBIOS file using your last source and hardcoded me a FSB of 800mhz, see here. I think you should offer these two as a lot of people are probably running with the default of 200mhz and dont even know it. You can also use the -g to fix this though. See

4/21/08 5:03:55 PM kernel SMBIOS: No FSB received - using hardcoded valueExtension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

4. Fixed with launch daemons

5. Sound issue still occurs but shutdown problems fixed. Waiting for HDApatcher 2.0

I think that I will stick with the V5...

- I am however having the weird FSB is reading 4.25Ghz!!! I must be doing some over clocking huh? ///jk

I am on an intel DG31PR with a Q6600, Leo4all Beta2, I don't think my mobo is reading, but i might be wrong...will check later (currently at work)