Fully working 10.5.2 AppleSMBIOS and Source finally available!

mac.nub

150 posts in this topic

Sorry mac.nub for posting here again, just tell me if this post is useless and i'll delete it : I compiled AppleSMBIOS from the source, without any modifications. The thing is the file has a different size / content than the binary from 10.5.2 update.

Anyway, I tried it, and I couldn't shutdown / reboot anymore, so I can confirm the bug isn't due to what you touch, but to the source that gives us a different kext that the binary we have from 10.5.2 update... That's really weird.

EDIT : Tried with 10.5.0 SMBIOS, it's the same, the source is different from the binary :)

Sorry mac.nub for posting here again, just tell me if this post is useless and i'll delete it : I compiled AppleSMBIOS from the source, without any modifications. The thing is the file has a different size / content than the binary from 10.5.2 update.

Anyway, I tried it, and I couldn't shutdown / reboot anymore, so I can confirm the bug isn't due to what you touch, but to the source that gives us a different kext that the binary we have from 10.5.2 update... That's really weird.

Yeah, Dune mentioned that on IRC in a certain channel.

And no it's not useless it's definitely useful for other people to know :) - It is indeed odd Apple providing different source publicly I'm sure they have their reasons though, and it definitely explains why we had the err, difference of opinions shall we say? :P

~mac.nub

Any chance mac.nub that you could look into why a modified smbios.kext stops 'logmein' from working?

A few people have posted in netkas's forum about it already. As soon as you use an smbios other that an original logmein will no longer enable.

My take is that if one program is stopped from working correctly then there could be others that don't also.

dublove

---------

Any chance mac.nub that you could look into why a modified smbios.kext stops 'logmein' from working?

---------

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  5

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSCFData characterAtIndex:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x512f70'

0   com.apple.CoreFoundation		  0x917530f4 ___TERMINATING_DUE_TO_UNCAUGHT_EXCEPTION___ + 4

I installed it myself and looked at the crash logs (part of which are above), seems it's actually due to com.apple.CoreFoundation rather than the AppleSMBIOS. Quite honestly I have no idea how this would be fixed, I would therefore suggest that you just the Apple's default AppleSMBIOS if it seems to work with that for whatever reason. Unfortunately the AppleSMBIOS binary is different to the source they provide, so it is unlikely it can be fixed by compiling a new one etc.

Sorry that I'm not able to be of anymore help.

~mac.nub

mac.nub : maybe I'm actually wrong :D I just did 4 reboots on a row and got the same bug with vanilla 3 times... So maybe I was lucky since the beginning... Anyway i'm gonna retry your SMBIOS and i'll report back if SOMETIMES I can reboot after sleep. If so then you were right and the bug isn't coming from SMBIOS AT ALL.

Another mystery, again I'm sorry for reporting false informations.

I'm sorry if I'm using this post but I'm looking for appleacpiplatform.kext v1.0.5. Where could I find it? In kalyway release there is the 1.0.3 one...

I've searched in the forum but nothing...

P.S I've tried and installed the applesmbios and everything is ok! Thanks macnub!!

I'm sorry if I'm using this post but I'm looking for appleacpiplatform.kext v1.0.5. Where could I find it? In kalyway release there is the 1.0.3 one...

I've searched in the forum but nothing...

P.S I've tried and installed the applesmbios and everything is ok! Thanks macnub!!

You should get it with 10.4.8 update on apple's website.

I think it's reporting this way due to using PCEFI, not the kernel, because i have everything vanilla and it's reporting macpro also...

You may be right, but for me, using netkas' kernel makes modified applesmbios.kext files have no effect on the model identifier, whereas using the vanilla kernel I am able to choose whichever model I want by modifying the Applesmbios (macbook pro currently).

I patch the kernel, so shutdown pb are gone.

I halt all cpus but master cpu, before ther kernel call acpiplatform, and now, it's ok 100 :)

Try this, shutdown all yours cpu but one, and try shutdown. TO do this, use cpupalette which comes with Xcode

BTW, when i put applesmbios, i cant ssee any difference in system profiler : error when reading. Do i have to change anything else ? (everything is stock)

Yes, for a Q6600

You can add the code to your kernel, or use the app i did month aga, called onecore.c, use search :)

Ovof I'm interested about this.. Could you explain to us how adding the code to the kernel? I'm a newbie... Thanks a lot