Nforce Chipsets: How to install Leo easy and fast with iAtkos v1.0i r3 - NForce Edition or Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

 Mysticus C*

1,957 posts in this topic

hi all!

which release must we use to update to 10.5.2? Kalyway?

kalyway is good

update with kalyway

restore system kext from kalyway's original backed up folder that came with the package to drivers folder

dont forget to fix permission on system.kext

download 9.2.0 kernel from netkas.org (note that it s actually in irc, netkas wants u to visit the irc channel to grab it... 9.2.0 kernel is compatible with nforce as far as i can tell..)

replace it with the one in root using terminal...

that should be it... i think...

later u can do the graphics update....

check your PM, your situation is using guid, and i think requires manual installation of bootloader, as blinking cursor indicates bootloader is not installed... for guids i think it s a known fact that you will need to install some stuffs manually again... i dunno why, but i read it somewhere...

I just did it again with MBR and iam still getting a black screen with white blinking cursor.

I just did it again with MBR and iam still getting a black screen with white blinking cursor.

please make a hardware profile on your signature so, we can see what you are using and where you are installing the osx...

cant answer every single problem saying, i did everything it doesnt work... what kind of hardware are you using? what type of hdd? what kind of other stuffs you are not telling? like dual booting and such...

you are keep stating you have a problem but not stating what you have... the answer might be with what you have...

kalyway is good

update with kalyway

restore system kext from kalyway's original backed up folder that came with the package to drivers folder

dont forget to fix permission on system.kext

download 9.2.0 kernel from netkas.org (note that it s actually in irc, netkas wants u to visit the irc channel to grab it... 9.2.0 kernel is compatible with nforce as far as i can tell..)

replace it with the one in root using terminal...

that should be it... i think...

later u can do the graphics update....

It sounds a bit confusing. :|

Are you planning on making a guide for the update?

In that case I'll wait.

thanks

Please check my signature for the hardware profile
problem solved...
It sounds a bit confusing. :rolleyes: Are you planning on making a guide for the update?In that case I'll wait.thanks
i will, but since last 3 days, my isp was abit funny, couldnt get online properly 2-3 mins...on off on off.... today work should be done in my area... as soon as i get stable connection i will write itbut it s actually not very hard at all...

And I've not found a solution even for the USB issue. (previus post)

Any advice?

My friend has the same exact mobo and the same problem that you have with the USB not being mounted.

I haven't had time to fool around with his leopard install that much but can you automagically mount the USB drive?

In terminal: ( I would be mounting a FAT32 USB Drive )

sudo umount
mkdir /Volumes/Exxy/
/sbin/mount_msdos /dev/disk{USB_DISK_ID}s{USB_PART_ID}/ /Volumes/Exxy/

Where the {USB_DISK_ID} and {USB_PART_ID} are variables dependent where it is in you /dev/ directory.

My friend has the same exact mobo and the same problem that you have with the USB not being mounted.

I haven't had time to fool around with his leopard install that much but can you automagically mount the USB drive?

In terminal: ( I would be mounting a FAT32 USB Drive )

sudo umount
mkdir /Volumes/Exxy/
/sbin/mount_msdos /dev/disk{USB_DISK_ID}s{USB_PART_ID}/ /Volumes/Exxy/

Where the {USB_DISK_ID} and {USB_PART_ID} are variables dependent where it is in you /dev/ directory.

I've found this solution:

In terminal:
sudo su -
type your password
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/caches
exit

Then the system recongnize every usb devices you plug in, untill you shutdwon

I'm trying to make a script that load automatically at startup, but I get some error about privileges.

I'm still a poor noob :D

I am about to attempt an install on:

Q6600

P5N-E SLi 650i

2GB RAM

250GB SATA HDD

SATA DVD+-RW

I'm not very optimistic but i'll report back with the results, kernel panics, driver issues w/e.

I've the same hardware except for DVD (PATA)

It should work

Good luck

Nice :)

Oh and btw after that big lecture about patching the ISO correctly i got a kernel panic on DVD boot :wacko:

I've got the properly patched ISO now anyway, just need to find a DVD :/

well obviously... :D

next thing is I will write the guide for 10.5.2 update...

i brb in about 40 mins after having a hair cut :)

10.5.2 Update with Kalyway

==================

Assuming you downloaded the KalywayIntelCombo10.5.2.zip already, so go download kernel

I suggest you to have two partitions with OS X installed (1 main, 1 back up of the main so that in case things go wrong, you will have one working system...)

I suggest you to work on back up installed partition so that in any case you troubleshoot easy.

Some stuffs I will refer:

Partition name: A --if you are installing kalyway update on the partition that you booted off, I will refer its name as A

Partition name: B --if you are installing Kalyway update on a different partition than the one you are running, I will refer its name as B

1) extract both kernel and Kalyway to your desktop.

2) Inside the kalyway folder where you extracted the zip, you should see two main components (ignore the readme file)

a- ) KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg (update installer)

b- ) 10.5.2_Backup_orig & kernel folder (original files folder back up from apple 10.5.2 update)

3) If you didnt make back up partition to work on it is your own risk from this step on, if you do some stuff wrong, do not blame me...

4) Start the installer, wait for it to finish updating...

5) Once it is finished, open finder window, and on the left pane click on the partition where you are working (main or backup one whichever you are working on)

6) On the right pane, go to the folder /system/library/extensions/ (aka drivers folder if you read my guide on first page... I m sure some of you skipped that part, anyways)

7) Scroll down until you can see a file named system.kext

8) Right click on the system.kext and choose Move to trash from the menu

9) It should ask you a password, enter your password thats it. after this step do not close the window yet

10) Now open your kalyway folder, open the original files folder, and locate the system.kext file in it.

11) Drag and drop the system.kext from the kalyway folder into your other open window where you just deleted previous one...

12) It will ask you to authenticate, do it, and enter your password. after that do not close the main window, keep it open.

13) Open terminal and type what i say below:

if you are updating the partition where you started use steps in a- )

if you are updating a different partition than you started use steps in b- )

a- )

sudo su

password: (here it will wait for your password, enter your password)

cd /

rm -R mach_kernel

cd /system/library

rm -R Extensions.*

cd extensions

rm -R caches/com.*

chown -R 0:0 System.kext

chmod -R 755 System.kext

close the terminal

b- )

sudo su

password: (here it will wait for your password, enter your password)

cd /volumes/B/

rm -R mach_kernel

cd /volumes/B/system/library

rm -R Extensions.*

cd extensions

rm -R caches/com.*

chown -R 0:0 System.kext

chmod -R 755 System.kext

close the terminal

14) go back to your desktop, adn find where you extracted kernel

15)

if you are updating the partition where you started use steps in a )

if you are updating a different partition than you started use steps in b )

a- ) Drag and Drop the kernel to your mach_kernel from the desktop into root of your partition A in a finder window

b- ) Drag and Drop the kernel to your mach_kernel from the desktop into root of your partition B in a finder window

This should be it, restart, and while at boot screen press f8 and type -v -f before you start...

It should be good to go... if I didnt make any missing steps...

Important note: Kalyway update does not include the graphics update, you need to download it seperately.

Strange update :huh:

I've followed the guide (thank you Mysticus).

I've rebooted with -v -f ---> kernel panic

I've rebooted with -v -x ---> auto reboot after few seconds

I've rebooted with -v ---> boot stops after few seconds (x2)

I've rebooted without flag ---> Leopard starts without any issue (at the moment)

In System Profiler it says Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C31) Kernel: Darwin 9.2.0 :(

I had to test stability, but all seems fine.

@Mysticus: for the Graphic Update, you mean to download from apple via software update?

Is there the possibility that it causes some problem with the system?

I've read somewhere that only with vanilla kernel you can update from apple

what you heard is true but not for the right subject :(

it s regular updates that like 10.5.2 can be downloaded but it s for intel chipset systems... sorry no luck yet for nforces... to use vanilla kernel yet...

however for the gfx update it s unique, u do not need to have vanilla to download it... it s seperate package and for gfx only, nothing to do with main system files... like kernel acpi apic smbios...

so it means you can update just fine, but make sure u are not downloading the 10.5.2 update again to brick your system.... just leopard graphics update it should say...

Random system freeze problem! I have been getting random system freezes where the mouse would sometimes move and everything in the background was frozen. The only solution was a hard reboot.

Mysticus: I removed AppleNForceATA.kext like you said in the tutorial

Modified the plist of appleviaata to my dev id. However, is it the PCI IDE Dual Channel controllers dev id? or Nvdia nForce 430/40 serial ata controllers devid?(I found these in windows like you said).

Well first i added PCI IDE dual channels controllers dev id which is 0x026510de in my case.(which makes sense because im only using ide)

Rebooted but everything was much slower, ran xbench and got around only 4MB/s not 40MB/s for sequential disk test.

I then added the nvidia nforce 430's dev id which is 0x026610de so i had both in rebooted and got a kernel panic.

Anyways i reinstalled 10.5.1, it was a fresh install so it did not matter.

I'm back with applenforceata and standard appleviata

What should i do? What did i do wrong?

Thanks for the great guide! and thanks for the patch equate and mysticus!