Nforce Chipsets: How to install Leo easy and fast with iAtkos v1.0i r3 - NForce Edition or Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

 Mysticus C*

1,957 posts in this topic

Glad you finally up and running......it has been a long haul..... :D

If you can arrange for 3. and 4. below, I suggest you download and use Carbon Copy Cloner 3.1.1 to do a block-level clone to your SATA HDD......for a block-level clone:

1. You need the intended OS X install volume i.e. Target Volume ACTUAL FORMATTED VOLUME size to be ≥ than the Source Volume ACTUAL FORMATTED VOLUME size.....e.g. 0.5GB greater or 1GB greater.....do not make it much bigger as (a) you can only clone from small to larger in terms of volume size and ( :) the free space will/may not be recognised as usable without running partitioning software.....such as iPartition......

2. You must choose to erase the target volume during the clone.

3. You must be able to unmount both devices (there cannot be any open files on either drive) but do not actually unmount the drives prior to the clone.

4. You cannot be booted from either drive......

This is one of the reasons why I always have Kalyway OS X 10.5.2 installed in a 10GB HFS+ "OS_X_Boot" volume as the 1st volume on my OS X MBR multi-volume partitioned HDDs......

It functions as a "First-Aider" and "Clone-Maker" and "For Very Large File Transfers via Gigabit LAN and/or Firewire Devices" OS X Kalyway 10.5.2 system with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" inserted under Kernel Flags string in com.apple.Boot.plist.......... :)

It services my Main and Backup OS X 10.5.4 systems and my various test OS X installs e.g. iATKOS v2.0i or iDeneb v1 10.5.4...... :)

In my experience, Kalyway OS X 10.5.2 Install DVD is the least troublesome & most reliable OS X distro ....at least for nFORCE chipset MOBOs with Intel CPUs.... :D

Thanks for the cloning instructions Haxi!

I went through it as you said, but for some reason I can't get it to boot... it's giving me the same results that I got when I just tried copying the Applications, Library, System, & Users folders without multiple installs on the IDE drive plus a fancy cloning program.. heh.. I guess it's not seeing the EFI boot loader on the drive or something?

What I did exactly was the following...

I formatted the IDE HDD in the USB enclosure with two HFS+ 10GB OSX1 & 2 partitions, plus a third OS X partition to mess around with (which wasn't used), and a the rest of the space a fat32 partition.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 to OSX1 and OSX2, USB fixed them, and then took the drive out of the enclosure and put it in the hackintosh machine. I went through the setup prompts on both OSX1 and 2, and then booted to OSX1 and cloned OSX2 to my SATA drive, which I partitioned as follows..

OSX1-10GB HFS+ emergency boot partition

OSX2-10GB HFS+ emergency clone source partition (incase macHD gets busted)

Macintosh HD-400GB partition to become the main boot partition (for games, apps, etc.....)

Fat Dump-remaining ~45 gigs for transfering stuff from windoze expee

So yeah, I cloned OSX2 on the IDE drive to OSX1, OSX2, and MacHD on the sata drive, but this is what I get when I try to boot from it...

http://i33.tinypic.com/20uux3a.jpg

sorry for the poor focus... and attachments aren't working for me for some reason right now, hence the tinypic url...

That missing boot file thing means it's not finding the EFI file right?

Thanks for the cloning instructions Haxi!

I went through it as you said, but for some reason I can't get it to boot... it's giving me the same results that I got when I just tried copying the Applications, Library, System, & Users folders without a fancy cloning program.. heh.. I guess it's not seeing the EFI boot loader on the drive or something?

What I did exactly was the following...

formatted the IDE HDD in the USB enclosure with two HFS+ 10GB OSX1 & 2 partitions, plus a third OS X partition to mess around with (which wasn't used), and a the rest of the space a fat32 partition.

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 to OSX1 and OSX2, USB fixed them, and then took the drive out of the enclosure and put it in the hackintosh machine. I went through the setup thing on both OSX1 and 2, and then I booted to OSX1 and cloned OSX2 to three partitions on my SATA drive...as follows..

OSX1-10GB HFS+ emergency boot partition

OSX2-10GB HFS+ emergency clone source partition (incase macHD gets busted)

Macintosh HD-400GB partition to become the main boot partition (for games, apps, etc.....)

Fat Dump-remaining ~45 gigs for transfering stuff from windoze expee

So yeah, I cloned OSX2 on the IDE drive to OSX1, OSX2, and MacHD on the sata drive, but this is what I get when I try to boot from it...

http://i33.tinypic.com/20uux3a.jpg

sorry for the poor focus... and attachments aren't working for me for some reason right now, hence the tinypic url...

But yeah, that means it's not finding the EFI file right?

EDIT: Change volume names to SATA_OSX1, SATA_OSX2, SATA_MacHD, SATA_Fat_Dump

and PATA_OSX1, PATA_OSX2.....you get the idea..... :)

Try reinstalling onto OSX1 on the SATA drive, the PC_EFI v8 bootloader using OSx86Tools

or Chameleon 1.0.10......or Chameleon 1.0.11....

or if you have the iATKOS v2.0i DVD or iATKOS v1.0ir3 regular version DVD or iATKOS v4.0i DVD....

Place the iATKOS DVD in the DVDRW drive and boot it by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

You should select ONLY the Darwin EFI bootloader - NOTHING ELSE!

When the Darwin Bootloader appears, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type (without quotes) "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" and press Enter.

When the iATKOS 2.01 DVD Installer is running, "Click the button to continue...", then click on "Continue" in the Welcome window, followed by "Agree" in the next pop-up window, and in the Select a Destination window, select the volume you have just cloned OS X onto and press "Continue".

In the Install Summary window, press "Customize" and in the Package Name pop-up window, select ONLY Darwin Bootloader - NOTHING ELSE! and press "Done" to return to the Install Summary window, press "Install".

Ignore the "Install Failed" message window that will appear after the install has completed, and just click "Restart".

When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the HDD

When the Darwin Bootloader appears, press any key quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type (without quotes) "-v" and press Enter.

EDIT: Change volume names to SATA_OSX1, SATA_OSX2, SATA_MacHD, SATA_Fat_Dump

and PATA_OSX1, PATA_OSX2.....you get the idea..... :)

Try reinstalling onto OSX1 on the SATA drive, the PC_EFI v8 bootloader using OSx86Tools

or Chameleon 1.0.10......or Chameleon 1.0.11....

or if you have the iATKOS v2.0i DVD or iATKOS v1.0ir3 regular version DVD or iATKOS v4.0i DVD....

Place the iATKOS DVD in the DVDRW drive and boot it by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

You should select ONLY the Darwin EFI bootloader - NOTHING ELSE!

When the Darwin Bootloader appears, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type (without quotes) "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" and press Enter.

When the iATKOS 2.01 DVD Installer is running, "Click the button to continue...", then click on "Continue" in the Welcome window, followed by "Agree" in the next pop-up window, and in the Select a Destination window, select the volume you have just cloned OS X onto and press "Continue".

In the Install Summary window, press "Customize" and in the Package Name pop-up window, select ONLY Darwin Bootloader - NOTHING ELSE! and press "Done" to return to the Install Summary window, press "Install".

Ignore the "Install Failed" message window that will appear after the install has completed, and just click "Restart".

When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the HDD

When the Darwin Bootloader appears, press any key quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type (without quotes) "-v" and press Enter.

Working via OSx86 tools!! Thanks Haxi!!!

Now I just need to reinstall winlol on the other which decided to {censored} the bed for no apparent reason(what a surprise :P ), and then see about getting my onboard ethernet working in the hackintoshes...

Video is working well... it doesn't say GeForce 8800GTS in system profiler but it does say that hardware acceleration, etc, is working, and it's running the full 1920x1200 resolution of my screen, so I'm happy with that.

Oh system info displays my processor as being "2.4 ghz unknown" and the ram as 667mhz (as opposed to 1066), but yeah I'm sure I can figure out how to tweak it from this point... the main thing was just getting it installed... Much thanks to Mysticus and Haxi :thumbsup_anim:

It's really too bad that I can't get the install to boot from the internal drive, but I might have more luck with a PATA dvd drive I guess... In any event, I have two backup copies of it installed in case something happens... and I can always use the usb IDE drive again if I need to.

In any event thanks soooooo for all of the help... you guys deserve some bigass "winnerz of interwebs awards," to put on your e-mantelpiece, imho. :D:D

Working via OSx86 tools!! Thanks Haxi!!!

That is good news..... :) Did you install EFI_v8 or Chameleon?

Now I just need to reinstall winlol on the other which decided to {censored} the bed for no apparent reason(what a surprise :P ), and then see about getting my onboard ethernet working in the hackintoshes...

If you have an nForce chipset MOBO like your MOBO with the nForce 570 SLI Chipset then your on-board LAN will not work properly under OS X....Get hold of a Realtek chipset based PCI Netwok Card i.e. RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 chipset card....check card specs before buying....depending on the card used it may just work out of the box with the already installed drivers in OS X... :)

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ for the R1000, which is an opensource driver for network controllers RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 and some others modification for Mac OSX. It is based on Realtek's driver for Linux but is not supported by Realtek.

Also see http://www.psystar.com/realtek_r1000_driver.html

Psystar have released a modded driver based on R1000 claimed by them to enhance

the interrupt handling and link detection for these NICS: RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101.

Other options from Mysticus C* are from here....

+ Linksys WUSB54GC (reported OK) there are official drivers for this

+ Netgear WG111V3 wireless card (Mysticus C*'s suggestion) (there are official drivers for this)

+ Apple USB to Ethernet (reported OK) works OTB

Video is working well... it doesn't say GeForce 8800GTS in system profiler but it does say that hardware acceleration, etc, is working, and it's running the full 1920x1200 resolution of my screen, so I'm happy with that.

NVkush does for my GeForce 8600GT......not sure if latest version will show up your GFX card..... :)

Oh system info displays my processor as being "2.4 ghz unknown" and the ram as 667mhz (as opposed to 1066), but yeah I'm sure I can figure out how to tweak it from this point... the main thing was just getting it installed... Much thanks to Mysticus and Haxi B)

Have a look at an earlier entry in my blog that deals with this issue for Q6600...... :)

It's really too bad that I can't get the install to boot from the internal drive, but I might have more luck with a PATA dvd drive I guess... In any event, I have two backup copies of it installed in case something happens... and I can always use the usb IDE drive again if I need to.

It would be a pain to find out in future that swapping your SATA DVDRW for a PATA DVDRW would have solved all your problems....... :rolleyes:

In any event thanks soooooo for all of the help... you guys deserve some bigass "winnerz of interwebs awards," to put on your e-mantelpiece, imho. :D:D

Thanks....... :blush:

UPDATE TO AVOID CONFUSION IN THIS THREAD AND ELSEWHERE OVER MY NAME CHANGE from haxi to verdant....I was changing my user name from haxi to Haxi but pressed enter at the wrong moment...cannot correct until 60 days have passed..... :hysterical:

vsi: just learn to make the cloning, therefor, you can always test things b4 bricking anything... cloning takes about ~10 mins roughly, and copies entire system (exlcuding bootloaders)

if you intend to run osx on a seperate hdd (i higly suggest that!!!), just prepare your hdd with 3 partitions minimum!!!

1- for main partition system (once you made everything working)

2- test partition system

3- backup/downloads etc... partition system

and use mbr partition scheme... dealing with guid is more of a pain than a real gain... guid is intended for server systems... and there are many things to worry about all the time if u use guid...

cloning is easy... open disk utility, choose restore, use main partition as source, and test partition as target/destination, and (dont choose erase during cloning, always erase the test partition before you start cloning, bcoz it will clone the name if you choose the erase in restore function, which may confuse you later!)

in about 10 mins it will finish... like i said, it copies entire system, except bootloader... any you dont need a bootloader on the same hdd twice :unsure: bcoz original bootloader (if you dont delete the partition by accident) will let you boot the test partition as well!!!

all you do is press f8 at countdown screen, and choose test partition, it will boot... do all your testing there, w/o worrying about bricking it... once you learn how to do whatever you wanted to do, then apply it on the original one...

understand that once you have a workinng test partition, dont clone the test partition back to main system... you will erase the bootloader and it can be a pain to bring it back if you dont know what to do... (if you have iatkos r3 dvd, it is easy to restore bootloader :D just boot of the r3, and choose only efi bootloader in the customize window, and deselect everything else... and install, tata bootloader working again :) make sure you dont select anything else!)

everytime you learned how to update your system without bricking it, make sure you do a back up of the entire system... i m not sure timemachine backs up entire system with the bootloaders... but make sure you back up importtant stuffs...

Hi Mysticus C.

I havent been here in a while due to internet loss. the last time i installed leopard i had a problem with getting the internet working becuase i had onboard ethernet. What wirless card would you suggets i get for my system.

thanks alot in adnvance

Hi Mysticus C.

I havent been here in a while due to internet loss. the last time i installed leopard i had a problem with getting the internet working becuase i had onboard ethernet. What wirless card would you suggets i get for my system.

thanks alot in adnvance

read post#2 in page#1 carefully... It shows what is known to work, and what is/are suggested...

good luck...

@ the artist formerly known as "haxi:"

I went with the EFI_V8 bootloader... speaking of which you wouldn't happen to know how to make it default to say.. the third drive in the list, instead of the first? I also need to make the "cpus=1 maxmem=3072" thing automatic... I haven't tried, but not typing this in would create some kind of total system assplosion wouldn't it? Does booting this way mean that it's only using one of the four cores when I render something in Final Cut for instance?

As for NICs I have a Realtek 8169 on the way, courtesy of ebay. So I'm expecting good results with that :D

I'll play with the gfx card thing... it seems to be working fine, so making it show GeForce 8800GTS in the system profile really isn't that high of a priority..

And as for fixing the system info, I found your blog and the steps are very easy to follow ofc, but when I tried copying the files over on a USB hard drive (100gb sata laptop hdd this time, also in a USB2.0 enclosure), the red light on the enclosure comes on, but the drive does mount. USB is working (proved by 1. the red light on the enclosure coming on, and 2. the fact that the keyboard and mouse are working... my keyboard name even shows up in the system profile =O) ...so I don't know why the hard-drive won't mount... there must be some other problem I don't know about. I can just burn the stuff to a CD, but yeah HD transfer is better if possible... (Actually what I can do is put them on the FAT DUMP partition I made while in windows expee, which has working onboard NIC... but it would be nice to figure out how to get USB HDDs mounting..)

And yeah.. I'll test the PATA DVD drive thing as soon as I have access to one... I'll certainly have to keep one lying around if it turns out that that was my problem all along.

/bows to master of interwebs

@  Mysticus C*: Thanks for the emergency tips (and all the help all along as well!!) I will make sure to follow this so that I don't end up having to do everything all over again in case I mess something up and render one of my partitions un-bootable :wacko:

if you are on 10.5.2 and didnt update yet, the only reason why your hdd wouldnt mount is kernel/sysem.kext version not matching... i also explained the issue in the post#2

I actually ran this fix a while back(before I copied the install to my internal SATA), but I left on USB Family Original -Restore-Backup, which is what is causing my problem I think.

When I installed Kalyway I turned off PCGENUSB2, so I guess that is what caused the problem....

I guess I need to repatch a clean kalyway install with no PCGENUSB2, and USB Family Original -Restore-Backup turned off.

Unrelated, but it's actually working with 4gb of ram.. although it shows up as 667mhz, instead of 1066... but I guess this might freeze me.

And discs in the sata DVD-RW won't mount either... it's probably because it's SATA, and it's probably related to the problems that I have been having from the very start. Could be the drive too (lite-on 20x dvdrw /w lightscribe..) I should just get a pata dvd drive for it....

@ the artist formerly known as "haxi:"

I went with the EFI_V8 bootloader... speaking of which you wouldn't happen to know how to make it default to say.. the third drive in the list, instead of the first? I also need to make the "cpus=1 maxmem=3072" thing automatic... I haven't tried, but not typing this in would create some kind of total system assplosion wouldn't it? Does booting this way mean that it's only using one of the four cores when I render something in Final Cut for instance?

As for NICs I have a Realtek 8169 on the way, courtesy of ebay. So I'm expecting good results with that :D

I'll play with the gfx card thing... it seems to be working fine, so making it show GeForce 8800GTS in the system profile really isn't that high of a priority..

And as for fixing the system info, I found your blog and the steps are very easy to follow ofc, but when I tried copying the files over on a USB hard drive (100gb sata laptop hdd this time, also in a USB2.0 enclosure), the red light on the enclosure comes on, but the drive does mount. USB is working (proved by 1. the red light on the enclosure coming on, and 2. the fact that the keyboard and mouse are working... my keyboard name even shows up in the system profile =O) ...so I don't know why the hard-drive won't mount... there must be some other problem I don't know about. I can just burn the stuff to a CD, but yeah HD transfer is better if possible... (Actually what I can do is put them on the FAT DUMP partition I made while in windows expee, which has working onboard NIC... but it would be nice to figure out how to get USB HDDs mounting..)

And yeah.. I'll test the PATA DVD drive thing as soon as I have access to one... I'll certainly have to keep one lying around if it turns out that that was my problem all along.

/bows to master of interwebs

@  Mysticus C*: Thanks for the emergency tips (and all the help all along as well!!) I will make sure to follow this so that I don't end up having to do everything all over again in case I mess something up and render one of my partitions un-bootable :D

Once you have installed Kalyway with the appropriate kernel etc., then you should be able to run on all 4 cores......however, for large file transfers, e.g. video files from digicams etc. via Firewire, just use the OS X Boot system (preset in com.apple.Boot.plist with cpus=1 maxmem=2048) to do the initial file transfer to your HDD.....then you simply boot from your OS X Main system running all 4 cores to render something in Final Cut......this is what I do very successfully..... :)

For bootloader options:

1. Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

3. Type in (without any spaces except where shown)

maxmem=3072 rd=diskXsY

between <string> and </string> under <key>Kernel Flags</key>.

In rd=diskXsY, X is your hard drive number (starts with X=0) and Y is the partition number (Y starts with 1)

Open Aplications>Utilities>Disk Utiliy, click on the partition with OSX installed and click on "Info", the required "rd" value is the value against "Disk Identifier"

4. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press Ctrl-O (i.e. ^O) and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

5. Press Ctrl-X (i.e. ^X) to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

6.Reboot with -v and Repair Permissions. On some systems, changes to the kernel flags option may make the computers unbootable. If this happens, type "-F mach_kernel -v" at the "boot:" prompt.....

USB not mounting has already been answered by Mysticus C*....... :)

The artist formerly known as "haxi".

I actually ran this fix a while back(before I copied the install to my internal SATA), but I left on USB Family Original -Restore-Backup, which is what is causing my problem I think.

When I installed Kalyway I turned off PCGENUSB2, so I guess that is what caused the problem....

I guess I need to repatch a clean kalyway install with no PCGENUSB2, and USB Family Original -Restore-Backup turned off.

Unrelated, but it's actually working with 4gb of ram.. although it shows up as 667mhz, instead of 1066... but I guess this might freeze me.

And discs in the sata DVD-RW won't mount either... it's probably because it's SATA, and it's probably related to the problems that I have been having from the very start. Could be the drive too (lite-on 20x dvdrw /w lightscribe..) I should just get a pata dvd drive for it....

Re the RAM speed.....you could try an AppleSMBIOS.kext hard-coded for 1066MHz RAM ...... but I do not know how your system would react......I only have lowly 667MHz RAM...... ;)

Re the SATA DVDRW......there is a test AppleNForceATA.kext from MeDevil that apparently helps with SATA DVDRWs......

verdant,

you know what ..

me here got two stripes of DDR2 800 and two stripes DDR2 1066,

what i saw in the about this mac : 667 ...

and in the system proflier : 2x667 + 2x800 ....

how could i know what speed is my ram actually running??

they are not supposed to run in two different speed ...

btw, hardcoded applesmbios is only the LAST RESORT.

verdant,

you know what ..

me here got two stripes of DDR2 800 and two stripes DDR2 1066,

what i saw in the about this mac : 667 ...

and in the system proflier : 2x667 + 2x800 ....

how could i know what speed is my ram actually running??

they are not supposed to run in two different speed ...

btw, hardcoded applesmbios is only the LAST RESORT.

Hi there,

Again your experience shows that what is reported by the AppleSMBIOS can be contradictory, given that the SMBIOS Specification deals with how motherboard and system vendors present information about their devices in a standard format by extending the BIOS interface on x86 architecture systems.....whereas EFI incorporates both ACPI and BIOS functions.

Can you post the output from running Terminal

sudo dmesg

......on my system I have 667MHz RAM and my dmesg output is

--- AppleSMBIOS-27 --

Default Memory Type (Auto-Detected)
Default Memory Speed: 667 MHz
--- AppleSMBIOS-27 --

As regards hard-coding sometimes it is the only option left......

Memory access speed is set in BIOS and is determined by the CPU speed and the speed of the Front Side bus (FSB) connecting the CPU to the Northbridge Controller which then connects to the RAM via the Memory bus.

So the memory access speed is the same as your FSB speed......Faster RAM will not make the CPU access the data any faster but the RAM must be as least as fast as the speed at which the CPU can accept data from the FSB.

Running Terminal

sysctl hw.busfrequency hw.memsize

on my currently 3.0GHz OC'd system gives

hw.busfrequency: 1332000000 i.e. 1332MHz

hw.memsize: 3221225472 i.e. 3.1 GB

Hey, thanks for the tips Haxi...

Before I try to fix anything anything else I'm going to install Kalyway again without PCGENUSB2, again, and this time I will install Mysticus' fix correctly (with USB Family Original -Restore-Backup turned OFF) and see if that fixes the USB drive mounting issue...

Totally unrelated, but any idea why this is happening to my macbook after I use it to install Kalyway to the PATA drive in the USB enclosure?

post-277152-1219949992_thumb.jpg

It's been happening every time I do the install for the last four or five times, and I need to do a clean install of the OS on the macbook to fix it >.< Not the end of the world, but I'd be curious to know what is causing this...

^ I just reinstalled Kalyway to the external drive from the macbook again, and I didn't get that message this time. No idea what was causing it, I did the install the same way every time....

Hey, thanks for the tips Haxi...

Before I try to fix anything anything else I'm going to install Kalyway again without PCGENUSB2, again, and this time I will install Mysticus' fix correctly (with USB Family Original -Restore-Backup turned OFF) and see if that fixes the USB drive mounting issue...

Totally unrelated, but any idea why this is happening to my macbook after I use it to install Kalyway to the PATA drive in the USB enclosure?

post-277152-1219949992_thumb.jpg

It's been happening every time I do the install for the last four or five times, and I need to do a clean install of the OS on the macbook to fix it >.< Not the end of the world, but I'd be curious to know what is causing this...

^ I just reinstalled Kalyway to the external drive from the macbook again, and I didn't get that message this time. No idea what was causing it, I did the install the same way every time....

Hi there, if you continue to have such problems on the macbook just reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Hi there, if you continue to have such problems on the macbook just reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Ahh, the good old pram zap might fix that eh? I used to do that from time to time just out of habbit on my ollld ollllld Apple IIVX, but I didn't know it could fix something like this... I'll try it the next time this happens. Thanks :ninja:

@ Mysticus... sorry for the endless nub-spam, but I reinstalled your USB fix to a clean Kalyway install with no PCGENUSB2, and USB Family Original -Restore-Backup turned OFF, but it still isn't working.

When I plug in my usb hdd I get nothing... my USB bus in system profiler looks like this:

post-277152-1219968756_thumb.jpg

I tried plugging the HDD into the front panel USB, into the onboard USB, and into the keyboard, and I still couldn't get it to show up at all. The light turns on, but it doesn't spin up.

However, when I boot my laptop into target disk mode and connect it to the front pannel firewire, it shows up in system profiler but doesn't mount.

post-277152-1219969053_thumb.jpg

Again, sorry for nub-spam, but do you have any ideas?

Ahh, the good old pram zap might fix that eh? I used to do that from time to time just out of habbit on my ollld ollllld Apple IIVX, but I didn't know it could fix something like this... I'll try it the next time this happens. Thanks :ninja:

@ Mysticus... sorry for the endless nub-spam, but I reinstalled your USB fix to a clean Kalyway install with no PCGENUSB2, and USB Family Original -Restore-Backup turned OFF, but it still isn't working.

When I plug in my usb hdd I get nothing... my USB bus in system profiler looks like this:

post-277152-1219968756_thumb.jpg

I tried plugging the HDD into the front panel USB, into the onboard USB, and into the keyboard, and I still couldn't get it to show up at all. The light turns on, but it doesn't spin up.

However, when I boot my laptop into target disk mode and connect it to the front pannel firewire, it shows up in system profiler but doesn't mount.

post-277152-1219969053_thumb.jpg

Again, sorry for nub-spam, but do you have any ideas?

Have you checked your kernel version using uname -a in Terminal and your system.kext version via System/Library/Extenstions/System.kext and Show Pacakge Contents in Info.plist under CFBundleVersion?....they should match......my version is 9.2.0......for both USB and Firewire to work properly, although for Firewire file transfers I find that booting OS X with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" is necessary for an "unbroken" connection during file transfer.

Having said that, I have yet to connect my Mac Laptop in Target Mode to my OSx86 PC.....I will try when I have a spare moment.....to see if it works.....

Also in Terminal, run

kextstat | grep "USB"

to show what USB related kexts have been loaded when you boot up....

My loaded USB related kexts are:

39 6 0x4979f000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.1.5) <7 6 5 4>

40 0 0x497f6000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI (3.1.0) <39 17 6 5 4>

46 0 0x49a1e000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.1.5) <39 17 7 6 5 4>

49 0 0x49b51000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.7) <39 6 5 4>

50 0 0x49ba2000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.1.5) <39 6 5 4>

58 0 0x49dc6000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <39 5 4>

59 0 0x49e65000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.1.0) <39 25 6 5 4>

BTW just to encourage you......here are my XBench results for my Q6600 3.0GHz OC'd nForce 650i system running OS X Leopard off a volume on my eSATA HDD......to show what is achievable......:ninja:

Results 198.25

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.4 (9E17)

Physical RAM 3072 MB

Model MacPro3,1

Drive Type SAMSUNG HD753LJ

CPU Test 189.23

GCD Loop 354.24 18.67 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 171.40 4.07 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 139.50 4.60 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 188.25 32.78 Mops/sec

Thread Test 307.85

Computation 277.18 5.62 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 346.16 14.89 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 172.63

System 253.57

Allocate 351.42 1.29 Malloc/sec

Fill 209.60 10191.31 MB/sec

Copy 237.28 4900.86 MB/sec

Stream 130.85

Copy 131.55 2717.18 MB/sec

Scale 131.89 2724.79 MB/sec

Add 130.11 2771.53 MB/sec

Triad 129.89 2778.76 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 299.02

Line 235.02 15.65 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 321.09 95.86 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 256.75 20.93 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 245.38 6.19 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 723.59 45.26 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 201.89

Spinning Squares 201.89 256.11 frames/sec

User Interface Test 501.01

Elements 501.01 2.30 Krefresh/sec

Disk Test 93.55

Sequential 144.10

Uncached Write 199.63 122.57 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 196.37 111.11 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 85.16 24.92 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 169.08 84.98 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 69.26

Uncached Write 24.92 2.64 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 314.96 100.83 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 113.40 0.80 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 177.25 32.89 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Have you checked your kernel version using uname -a in Terminal and your system.kext version via System/Library/Extenstions/System.kext and Show Pacakge Contents in Info.plist under CFBundleVersion?....they should match......my version is 9.2.0......for both USB and Firewire to work properly, although for Firewire file transfers I find that booting OS X with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" is necessary for an "unbroken" connection during file transfer.

Having said that, I have yet to connect my Mac Laptop in Target Mode to my OSx86 PC.....I will try when I have a spare moment.....to see if it works.....

Also in Terminal, run

kextstat | grep "USB"

to show what USB related kexts have been loaded when you boot up....

My loaded USB related kexts are:

39 6 0x4979f000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.1.5) <7 6 5 4>

40 0 0x497f6000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI (3.1.0) <39 17 6 5 4>

46 0 0x49a1e000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.1.5) <39 17 7 6 5 4>

49 0 0x49b51000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.7) <39 6 5 4>

50 0 0x49ba2000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.1.5) <39 6 5 4>

58 0 0x49dc6000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <39 5 4>

59 0 0x49e65000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.1.0) <39 25 6 5 4>

My USB related kexts seem to be identical to yours... only the first two columns of each line are different:

38 6 0x5c2f3000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.1.0) <7 6 5 4>

39 0 0x5c347000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI (3.1.0) <38 17 6 5 4>

40 0 0x5c423000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.1.0) <38 17 7 6 5 4>

51 0 0x54aa9000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.7) <38 6 5 4>

67 0 0x5b9d3000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.1.0) <38 6 5 4>

72 0 0x5bbd5000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <38 5 4>

76 0 0x5be9a000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.1.0) <38 21 6 5 4>

my system kext version is showing up as 9.2.2... for some reason I thought I installed 9.2.0, so I ran Mysticus' fix with 9.2.0 checked, so that is probably my problem right there, right?

Sorry, but how exactly do I check the kernel number in terminal? After logging in (with sudo su), I tried vsi1600 -a, vsi1600-a, and a few other variations but none worked. Yeah, I'm pretty terrible at terminal once I get past the login =/

You can feel free to ignore this for the time being... It's obvious that if I want to get any farther, with a relative ease at least, I need to read the section in Mysticus' first post about terminal, and read stuffz on terminal elsewhere, with terminal open testing the stuff out...

Thanks for helping me get to this point, and I'll start posting again in another week or so once I have had more time to figure stuff out on my own =P

@ Mysticus C

i keep getting this problem after installing. i remove the dvd before boot up but i just get a blinking cursor and nothing else.

i installed it on a Maxtor 80 GB PATA HD.

i also took out one of the GFX card and diabled SLI

can you tell what im doing wrong

@vsi1600: your usb problem is related to your usb high speed controller not being recognized, so you have to use pcgenusb2 patch or if you update to latest version 10.5.4, use the patch i supplied to you earlier in a link... when usb2 controller is not initialized, hdds like devices that require high voltage doesnt get it, so can not start up. on the other hand, there are some usb flash disks which are usb1.1 backward compatible can work just fine...

Thing you can do:

1) In USB tab of the system profiler, check that USB High Speed Controller presents! If it is not there, your high speed usb devices will not work! This requires either pcgenusb2 patch or latest to be the one i send u as a link in an earlier post!

2) Make sure always you have the system.kext version and kernel version matching! (This is the first step to check!) This is USB not mounting issue due to non-matching versions of system.kext and kernel. But even so, USB in system profiler will show all the devices including High Speed USB bus... it just wont mount due to mismathching...

2nd one is easiest to fix... 1st one is the real deal, sometimes it can be fixed, sometimes it cant be... In your situation, it looks like it can be fixed if you use one the solutions I told u, but make sure all the fixes are performed on the same machine... Because if you move the usb hdd to your macbook, and change kexts there, macbook, will rewrite your kextcache(Extensions.mkext) and your original one from macbook will load... It is funny, but it keeps happening... Delete Extensions.mkext on your usb hdd while it is in mcbook,it will be recreated with kextcache from macbook... Funny but it happens :D

To solve this, copy the files to your usb hdd in your macbook!

then put back the hdd into your hack internally,

boot into safe text mode, -v -s

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/caches/com.*

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext

cp -R /location/to/your/new/IOUSBFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/ (you are copying patched IOUSBFamily back to your system again to take control of your high speed bus, aka USB 2.0 == this is the ownership error, which should be showing up at boot process if you read it carefully on the boot screen)

chown -R 0:0 System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext

reboot

at boot, use -v -f

report back... success or failure...

@jade ray: Provide details! what are you trying to install? R3? or Kalyway?

Also your problem is known on certain hdd+nforce.... But to be sure, If you tried iatkos r3, and caused this error? than try with kalyway 10.5.2 please, and using disk utility wipe everything, repartion, with 3 partitions.... 20gb main osx journaled + 20 gb test osx journaled + rest of hdd share dos/fat (hdd size partition_name partition type) and use options to make sure hdd is MBR partition scheme

@ vsi1600 To check your kernel version, in Terminal at $ prompt type JUST as written

uname -a

@ vsi1600 To check your kernel version, in Terminal at $ prompt type JUST as written

uname -a

oohhhhh...........

.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,................................... .......

.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................

..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................

...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\.................................

.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\............................ ....

..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................

...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................

................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................

.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................

..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................

................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................

................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,...... ............

................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............

..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,

...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........

................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........

...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......

......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

@vis1600 At least you are an artist rather than being an artist formerly known as "haxi"....... ;)

@vis1600 At least you are an artist rather than being an artist formerly known as "haxi"....... :(

lol, I SO stole that ASCII =P

and the artist formerly known as thing was a reference to Prince :D

still busy with work stuff, so I'll post results after more reading and playing around in a few days.....

@ mysticus c

It worked i tried kalaway and everything is fine now. its weird because i tried ikatos R3 before and it worked.

no all i need is internet so ill get the wireless keys u recommended.

by the way can i put my second GFX card in now and SLI