Nforce Chipsets: How to install Leo easy and fast with iAtkos v1.0i r3 - NForce Edition or Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

 Mysticus C*

1,957 posts in this topic

Hey guys

These are my specs:

GA-N650SLI-DS4L (nforce 650i)

Core2duo E6850 3Ghz

2x2GB ddr2 OCZ 800Mhz

gforce 8800GT 512Mb

RTL8169 ethernet

logitech g11 usb keyboard

logitech g5 usb mouse

I installed iatkos 10.5.4 and upgraded to 10.5.5 and i'm using modbin 9.4.0 kernel. I managed to setup bootloader, QE/CI and sound. Everything runs fine, but i randomly get my mouse extremely lagged so i cannot even move it. When that happens network activity goes down but my usb keyboard works normally. As i said before this crash is random but i can "trigger" it by moving a large file to a samba share or usb device.

I noticed that using cpus=1 solves the issue. The problem is that i have to boot with " cpus=1 maxmem=2048 " to get a stable system so i'm only using half of my hardware. After googling it i´ve read posts of AMD processor users having this mouse crash (aka laggy mouse, aka mad mouse,etc.) issue. Everything about AMD but not Intel :blush: The solution for them seemed to be changing memory timings and use idlehalt=0 at boot. I also looked for the correct way to set up my bios and tried different options. No luck.

I'm going crazy with this. Do you have a clue?

Suggest you recheck your BIOS settings.....

IOAPIC Function [Enabled]

MPS Table Version [1.4]

On-Chip IDE Controller [both]

PCI IDE BusMaster [Enable] or [Disabled] Try both ways

Serial-ATA 1/ 2 [Disabled]

nVidia RAID Function [Disabled]

SATA1 / SATA2 / SATA3 / SATA4 [Disabled]

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

Set Limit CPUID MaxVal to 3 [Disabled]

Intel EIST [Disabled]

HPET [Enabled]

ACPI Function [Enabled]

ACPI Standby State [s3/STR]

Thanks for the reply.

I rechecked my BIOS settings, and they match almost exactly to what you had. The only difference is that I didn't have the following options:

Instead, in its place, I found On-chip SATA Controller (which I disabled) and RAID mode (which was set to IDE, choices being RAID or IDE)

The only other difference was that my ACPI Standby State only had S3 as an option, and I'm not sure what STR is.

EDIT: What I've also done is reconnect my drives. Previously, my DVD drive was secondary master and my two IDE HDDs were Primary Master/Slave. My current configuration now is one of my IDE Hard Drives is Primary Master, my DVD drive is Primary Slave, and my other IDE drive is Secondary Master. Not sure if it changes anything, but just trying some ideas.

Hey guys

These are my specs:

GA-N650SLI-DS4L (nforce 650i)

Core2duo E6850 3Ghz

2x2GB ddr2 OCZ 800Mhz

gforce 8800GT 512Mb

RTL8169 ethernet

logitech g11 usb keyboard

logitech g5 usb mouse

I installed iatkos 10.5.4 and upgraded to 10.5.5 and i'm using modbin 9.4.0 kernel. I managed to setup bootloader, QE/CI and sound. Everything runs fine, but i randomly get my mouse extremely lagged so i cannot even move it. When that happens network activity goes down but my usb keyboard works normally. As i said before this crash is random but i can "trigger" it by moving a large file to a samba share or usb device.

I noticed that using cpus=1 solves the issue. The problem is that i have to boot with " cpus=1 maxmem=2048 " to get a stable system so i'm only using half of my hardware. After googling it i´ve read posts of AMD processor users having this mouse crash (aka laggy mouse, aka mad mouse,etc.) issue. Everything about AMD but not Intel <_< The solution for them seemed to be changing memory timings and use idlehalt=0 at boot. I also looked for the correct way to set up my bios and tried different options. No luck.

I'm going crazy with this. Do you have a clue?

A number of points:

I have a 650i system but use either the StageXNU kernel or the 9.2.0 Sleep kernel; I had problems with the 9.4.0 Modbin kernel.

I can post my BIOS settings (for my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus 650i MOBO) for you to check yours against if you wish?

I can understand the transfer of a large file to a USB device triggering a freeze as USB devices are CPU driven and can load the CPU to high levels of about 90%

Have you checked CPU activity in Activy Monitor during a Samba share file transfer

I have found that for safe and successful large file transfers to/from HDDs and/or Firewire devices, I need to boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048........it is a consequence I believe of the AppleNForceATA.kext not handling 64 bit processing properly...... I can then process the data using all 4 cores after rebooting...... :)

Thanks for the reply.

I rechecked my BIOS settings, and they match almost exactly to what you had. The only difference is that I didn't have the following options:

Instead, in its place, I found On-chip SATA Controller (which I disabled) and RAID mode (which was set to IDE, choices being RAID or IDE)

The only other difference was that my ACPI Standby State only had S3 as an option, and I'm not sure what STR is.

STR just means Suspend to RAM which is what S3 does.........

Had the On-chip SATA Controller been [Disabled] previously?

This may seem strange but since I presume your SATA drives are still connected to the MOBO why not try:

MPS Table Version [1.4]

On-chip SATA Controller [Enabled]

RAID mode [iDE]

Intel EIST [Disabled]

HPET [Enabled]

ACPI Function [Enabled]

ACPI Standby State [s3]

STR just means Suspend to RAM which is what S3 does.........

Had the On-chip SATA Controller been [Disabled] previously?

This may seem strange but since I presume your SATA drives are still connected to the MOBO why not try:

MPS Table Version [1.4]

On-chip SATA Controller [Enabled]

RAID mode [iDE]

Intel EIST [Disabled]

HPET [Enabled]

ACPI Function [Enabled]

ACPI Standby State [s3]

Actually, I tried that a few minutes ago after my post. Still an issue, but it's a different issue at least.

PCI IDE BusMaster Enable/Disable doesn't seem to make a difference in the log I'm seeing.

Hold on, let me get a picture of the log I get with SATA enabled.

Actually, I tried that a few minutes ago after my post. Still an issue, but it's a different issue at least.

PCI IDE BusMaster Enable/Disable doesn't seem to make a difference in the log I'm seeing.

Hold on, let me get a picture of the log I get with SATA enabled.

Re your IDE connections......make DVDRW Primary Master (I presume it is on Cable Select or set as Master) and your OSX86 HDD Primary Slave (set on Cable Select or as Slave), with the other HDD as Secondary Master......... :)

A number of points:

I have a 650i system but use either the StageXNU kernel or the 9.2.0 Sleep kernel; I had problems with the 9.4.0 Modbin kernel.

I can post my BIOS settings (for my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus 650i MOBO) for you to check yours against if you wish?

I can understand the transfer of a large file to a USB device triggering a freeze as USB devices are CPU driven and can load the CPU to high levels of about 90%

Have you checked CPU activity in Activy Monitor during a Samba share file transfer

I have found that for safe and successful large file transfers to/from HDDs and/or Firewire devices, I need to boot with cpus=1 maxmem=2048........it is a consequence I believe of the AppleNForceATA.kext not handling 64 bit processing properly...... I can then process the data using all 4 cores after rebooting...... :)

Please post your bios settings :D

Thanks for your reply.

Please post your bios settings :)

Thanks for your reply.

For my overclocked Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO, the main working BIOS settings are:

Primary IDE Master [TSSTcorp CDDVDW]

SATA 1 [Hitachi HDD]

SATA 2 [samsung HDD]

SATA 3 [samsung HDD]

HDD SMART Monitoing [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Type [s3 (STR)]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Serial-ATA Controller [Enabled]

RAID Enabled [Disabled]

OnChip IDE Channel0 [Enabled]

IDE DMA transfer access [Enabled]

IDE Prefetch Mode [Enabled]

HD Audio [Auto]

Onboard 1394 [Enabled]

USB [all options enabled]

Dual Onboard LAN [still enabled by me because of their use by Vista and Ubuntu - causes me no problems as I use a PCI-NIC for OS X]

Memory Timing Setting [All AUTO]

Spread Spectrum Control [All DISABLED] - for maximum performance

CPU Internal Thermal Control [AUTO]

Limit CPUID MaxVal [DISABLED]

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [DISABLED]

Execute Disable Bit [ENABLED]

Virtualization Technology [DISABLED] Does not appear to make a difference whether ENABLED or DISABLED.

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology [DISABLED]

LDT Frequency [5x]

plus the overclocking settings for the FSB and voltages.....see my Overclocking blog entry for these..... :D

For my overclocked Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO, the main working BIOS settings are:

These settings are not the same for my bios. I configured it different ways without success. Now i have:

HPET: disabled

C1E: disabled

TM2: enabled

EIST: disabled

virtualization: disabled

prefetch mode: enabled

DMA access: enabled

CPUID limit: disabled

Also tried stagexnu kernel. It doesn´t work for me (won't boot) so I'll keep modbin´s 9.4.0. I got some questions:

I read a few posts about using modified VIA chipset kext instead of nforce. Have anybody tried that with n650i? May this issue have something to do with SMBIOS or bus/memory timings?

Thank u

These settings are not the same for my bios. I configured it different ways without success. Now i have:

HPET: disabled

C1E: disabled

TM2: enabled

EIST: disabled

virtualization: disabled

prefetch mode: enabled

DMA access: enabled

CPUID limit: disabled

Also tried stagexnu kernel. It doesn´t work for me (won't boot) so I'll keep modbin´s 9.4.0. I got some questions:

I read a few posts about using modified VIA chipset kext instead of nforce. Have anybody tried that with n650i? May this issue have something to do with SMBIOS or bus/memory timings?

Thank u

AFIK the VIA chipset kext is for VIA chipsets......

Do you have maxmem=3072 in your com.apple.Boot.plist? If setting maxmem=3072 does not help, try maxmem=2048........otherwise remove 2GB RAM......also if you have FSB Memory Clock Mode [LINKED], try FSB Memory Clock Mode [uNLINKED] and if you have altered RAM timings then set them back to defaults.....also try HPET [Enabled] to enable HPET i.e. high precision event timer........

Re your IDE connections......make DVDRW Primary Master (I presume it is on Cable Select or set as Master) and your OSX86 HDD Primary Slave (set on Cable Select or as Slave), with the other HDD as Secondary Master......... :)

No dice, I'm getting the same message here.

By the way, with SATA enabled, I get the kernel panic below:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5369/1000985bi8.jpg

With the new hard drive configuration, the problem returns to the "Still waiting for Root Device" issue.

EDIT: Now this is odd.

I just tried it again, and this time, after one "Still waiting for Root Device" message, I get a kernel panic:

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x001A8BED): Kernel Trap at 0x0013e96f, type 14=page fault, registers:

and a bunch of register information following it.

EDIT2: Ok, I'm lost. I retried it again with no changes and this time, I get a "Wait Queue Deadlock" instead of the Kernel Trap. Not even a "Still Waiting for Root Device" issue.

EDIT3: And for the third time under the same configurations, we return to the "Still waiting for root device" issue. I'm really confused now. The only option I'm using for all of these is the verbose option.

AFIK the VIA chipset kext is for VIA chipsets......

Do you have maxmem=3072 in your com.apple.Boot.plist? If setting maxmem=3072 does not help, try maxmem=2048........otherwise remove 2GB RAM......also if you have FSB Memory Clock Mode [LINKED], try FSB Memory Clock Mode [uNLINKED] and if you have altered RAM timings then set them back to defaults.....also try HPET [Enabled] to enable HPET i.e. high precision event timer........

I removed one memory stick and tried with both linked and unlinked FSB modes and HPET enabled. Still the same problem :thumbsup_anim:

Hi, I've posted this, and acted as you've advised (BIOS change).

I've managed to install Leopard, but the OS doesn't run - the last message is:

"Mac framework successfully initialized.

Using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

and nothing more.

Can anybody help me, again?

Thanks, Tambah

Hi, I've posted this, and acted as you've advised (BIOS change).

I've managed to install Leopard, but the OS doesn't run - the last message is:

"Mac framework successfully initialized.

Using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers"

and nothing more.

Can anybody help me, again?

Thanks, Tambah

Did you use a Kabyl modded BIOS and/or iATKOSv1.0ir2 with bad bios patch.....?

I have tried to install the jas 10.5.4 patched with mysticus onto my system with no success it still says still waiting for root device. Is there something I should be changing in my bios settings? I left them as default when I installed leo4allv3 with success but I would really like to install 10.5.4. If anyone knows or has a striker 2 nse board please help! I just wish I could use the drivers with leo4allv3 to install jas w/myst if anyone can do this I think it would really help us wth these chipsets it just blows that we have some great chipsets but we cant install jas or ideneb.

If I cannot get help on this issue. Can I just update straight to 10.5.5 from 10.5.2? Or do I have to go 10.5.2---->10.5.3---->10.5.4----->10.5.5. I can install leo4allv3 and boot so can I just install the update and select a new kernel settings etc? I could care less if I dont use a different distro to install if I could just update that would be great im just so sick of burning cds that will not install I just want a stable system dammit :)

Successfully updated my 10.5.2 Kalyway install to 10.5.5 with 9.4.0 Kernel using Mysticus' 10.5.5 ComboUpdate patch.

Here's how I did it (1 dedicated hard drive for mac):

- installed Kalyway 10.5.2 (using Mysticus' guide of this thread, see 1st page) with 2 partitions (Main and Test)

- booted on my Main partition

- cloned my Main partition on the Test partition

- re-booted on the Test partition

- installed all the updates from Software Update available, EXCEPT THE 10.5.5 UPDATE, DON'T INSTALL THIS ONE!

- downloaded the 10.5.5 ComboUpdate from Apple's website: HERE

- downloaded Mysticus' comboupdate patch 1.1.2 from Bike Town

- ran the pre patch package provided by Mysticus from his comboupdate patch 1.1.2

- installed the 10.5.5 ComboUpdate downloaded from Apple's website

- kernel panic occurred right after the update finished installing. From Mysticus' guide, there shouldn't be any kernel panics. (If you don't have any Kernel panics, then just run the post update package. Make sure you don't restart your computer though!)

- re-booted on the Main partition (do not reboot if you didn't get any Kernel Panics and just run the Post update package!)

- ran the post update package provided by Mysticus from his comboupdate patch 1.1.2 BUT selected the Test partition (the partition I installed the 10.5.5 comboupdate on, makes sense)

- chose the 9.40 Kernel (9.2.0 Kernel worked too but 9.5.0 didn't work for me), chose the appropriate graphic driver, chose "Restore Audio", chose "Restore Network", everything else I left unchecked (including chipset)

- after installation done, re-booted on the Test partition, computer re-booted a 2nd time by itself (it's normal after a comboupdate)

- now enjoying my new 10.5.5 setup

But remember, this is how I did it. It might not work for you! Do it at your own risk, I will not be held responsible if something screws up!

Obviously, big thanks to Mysticus for all his hard work :(

This guide worked for me. I had nothing but nightmares with kalyway. I kept getting random freezes and this was extremely annoying especially when trying to install logic studio 8. Anyway I decided to download Iatkos r3, followed the guide and everything is working. Thats dual monitors with correct resolutions and qe + ci. My sound card drivers work and my internet is working. I have installed logic which took over 6 hours because of all the content that comes with it and I didn't get 1 freeze. The internet hasn't cut out yet either. Early stages though, I will report back in a few days with info on how everything has gone.

Also how do I edit my signature? Can't seem to find the option in settings on this forum.

OS : Xp pro + iAtkos 1.0i R3 10.5.1 (on seperate harddrives/ i use f8 to boot into what ever os I want)

Mobo : Asus Striker Extreme

Cpu : Intel E6600 /Overclocked to 3.0Ghz

Ram : 2 x 1 GB 800mhz but set them to run at 667Mhz

HDD Sata: 2 x 500 GB/ 1 x 320GB

HDD IDE : 1 x 400GB (Dedicated to Timemachine Backups)

DVD-RW IDE

VGA : PNY Geforce 8500GT Silent 512MB Ultra 768 MB

Monitor : Acer + Dell (Dual Extended Mode)

Sound : Motu 828 mk2 External Sound Card

Lan : Realtek 8139 PCI

Ok left the computer on all night with itunes playing and when I woke up this morning it was still playing.. I laid in bed for a while then noticed the music stopped (even though I had it on repeat album). Moved the mouse and I saw my screen saver but couldn't get out of it. So I pressed the reset button and everything is ok but getting internet lock ups. Not to bothered about the internet cut offs because I'm using this mainly for logic studio 8.

I will purchase the apple usb ethernet adaptor soon to solve the internet cutouts. Not too bothered about the os version. Just want to use logic which works perfectly so far. Can load up 30+ channels with effects and audio units packed on each channel and the cpu usage meter hardly moves. Looks like my system can handle this. 1 thing that might be causing my freezing, well the freezing in kalyway could be my memory timing clock thing which is set to 1t I could set it to auto or 2t?.

My overclock was simple I just set my cpu voltage left everything else auto and set my FSB to 1333 and my RAM to 667 (unlinked). Done a stress test and it lasted atleast 9 to 10 hours before crashing on 1 core. Windows never crashes though. Might just set the timing to auto and see what happens.

haxi: good job on nforce support, i can count on you, left the support of nforce on your shoulders :)

Only if I can call on your help with nForce MOBO problems outside my experience and when I am too busy with my "real" life to answer all questions........ :)

hi

I have a problem... in my nforce630i motherboard "Sata mode select" is desactivate.

I can't change to AHCPI.

Sata HD no detected in OSX

Help

05082008084zu4.th.jpg

I need a solution plz.

Why i cant change this option? jumpers? bios problem? Sata HD? sata cables?

This option is in grey with raid mode. :(

I need a solution plz.

Why i cant change this option? jumpers? bios problem? Sata HD? sata cables?

This option is in grey with raid mode. :(

Which manufacturer model 630i nForce motherboard do you have?

Which manufacturer model 630i nForce motherboard do you have?

Good thing Mysticus insisted on people having their hardware specs in their signature...

Did antfros actually even read the 1st post of this thread? ;)

Shameful, really shameful that the 1st people to ask help are the ones that don't even read the 1st post...

Good thing Mysticus insisted on people having their hardware specs in their signature...

Did antfros actually even read the 1st post of this thread? :)

Shameful, really shameful that the 1st people to ask help are the ones that don't even read the 1st post...

Yes i read the 1st post 1000 times. I have OSx full installed in IDEs. But i want install in SATA.. and i cant change to AHCPI.

My MOBO 630i is a ACER with R01-A3 bios.

My PC is a Acer Aspire M3640