Nforce Chipsets: How to install Leo easy and fast with iAtkos v1.0i r3 - NForce Edition or Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

 Mysticus C*

1,957 posts in this topic

I'll try this with the IDE drive :P

Thanks for the help!

I just went through all of this... no luck unfortunately :D

I'm going to try formatting that IDE drive to HFS now, as per Mysticus' suggestion...

I just tried with the IDE drive formatted to HFS, and still no luck...

I'm in the process of getting iAtkos r2 to try out with the bad bios patch, 4i, to see if I have any luck with either of those, but I doubt it will make any difference... hmmmm, very strange...

I thought Mysticus was saying to format a 10GB volume on your IDE HDD as FAT32 (with Master Boot Record i.e. MBR partitioning).....to see if the Kalyway install DVD will see it....

I formatted the 500gig IDE drive as such:

post-277152-1219553257_thumb.png

...still no luck.

I am beginning to wonder if it is a EVGA/Seagate issue, as some have issues with Windows too.....from here....

ok this is really complicated but here goes. I have 2 systems an xp sp1 with an elite board and a vista x64 with an evge 750i. Now i got this sea gate barracuda 500gb to use as another drive in the vista machine and it worked fine, for awhile then it started not being recognized after shutting down. So i would have to unplug it and plug it back in and restart sometime a few times before the vista machine would recognize, and it always sees it in the bios screens but it hangs at recognition, and after recognition and at vista boot and i mean serious lag here couple of minutes each screen, and then just the other day it stopped seeing it all together in vista it still sees the drive in the bios screen.

So i decided the drive was screwed but for fun stuck in my xp machine on a raid card and it worked like a dream absolutely no issues. So i thought it was vista so i popped my xp cd into the evga machine put the drive back and booted from cd and the xp cd would not see the drive at all. So i tried a linux distro (pclinuxos) and linux would not see it.

Seagate gave me this seatools thing and it would not recognize the drive either so i called evga and seagate several times to no avail. I reinstalled the mobo drivers and looked for a firmware update ect, ect, ect. evga and seagate were both stumped and offered to replace the drive and or the mobo but i dont want to replace either especially not the mobo. I got an almost identical drive from a friend i bought it for and stuck it in the evga/vista machine and it worked perfect. Then when i was on the phone with evga last night i shut down the vista machine and took the drive of the raid card in the xp machine and put it into the vista machine. I was a little rough with it by now, and banged it around a bit and much to our surprize the thing worked like a dream. But, when i shut down for whatever reason the drive was gone again. So i donno ??

I tried using the raid card in the vista machine it would see the card but not the drive, i tried all the channels in the evga board, tried 10 different data cables, tried without the os sata2 which is a western digital 80gb sata2. I must add that an older version of seatools for dos saw the drive it was on ultimate boot cd 4.1.1 and another utility on that cd saw it as well. I also tried taking the 1.5 data limit jumper off the drive.

So if someone can explain this one i sure would appriciate it. The drive is in the xp machine now on the raid card and its working perfect. Oh and i have to give credit to the support staff at the evga phone in center they were all very patient more patient than me thats for sure thx alot.

(update) Ive completely wiped the drive in xp and formatted it. I then put it in the vista machine and tried to format it and it failed then vista failed to see the drive afterwards but the bios still saw it. So i put it back in thr xp machine and saw it was formatted with fat 16 ?? (I do not know how that happened because I always use ntfs). So i reformatted the disk again in ntfs took it out and put it in the vista machine and am now running spin rite on it in vista btw spin rite would not recognise the drive in the xp machine. thx I hope the grammar is better. < Message edited by TYRRAM -- 8/9/2008 11:14:53 PM >

Have you tried installing Kalyway to the Seagate HDD when it is in a USB 2.0 external enclosure, partitioned as MBR and formatted as HFS+ into a small 10GB OS X 10.5.2 boot volume; rest of HDD as a HFS+ 175GB main and test OS X 10.5.4 volumes and remaining space as a shared MS-DOS (FAT) data volume...

where is the screen cap taken? another hackintosh? if you have access to another hackintosh just format your drive as 4 partitions, and choose 1-2 osx1 osx2 (journaled) and 3 windows ( fat/32) and 4th osx3 (journaled)

also is there a possibility that you can have a usb dvd-rom? or move that usb enclosure to your main system and install the osx from there?

I'm going to try doing what haxi suggested with the enclosure...

My screen caps were taken from a real MacBook, so afaik I can't use that to aid the install.. or can I install it to the USB drive from the macbook, and then put that drive in the desktop and so some crazy kext manipulation to get it working in that system??

Another thing that should be noted is that I was also having some trouble with the 500gb sata seagate drives as well... I originally had two of them in there on A0 and B0, and it was impossible to get the XP install working without unplugging one of them.... the fact that they show up with exactly the same name in the bios is probably what was causing the confusion, although it could be a seagate problem as well... Even after unplugging one of the drives I would ocassionally get blue screens of death on shutdown saying something about UNKNOWN DEVICE... which could be solved normally by shutting the system down and turning it back on again. Although I would get a "your system has recovered from a serious error" message.

..maybe it's time to find a western digital drive.

Anyways, going to format as haxi suggested and try installing to the drive in the IDE drive in the USB 2.0 enclosure.

edit @ Mysticus: no usb dvd drive unfortunately, but the USB HDD enclosure is free to be used on either the macbook or the desktop in progress..

here's the format this time... going to try the install with the drive in the USB enclosure

post-277152-1219603913_thumb.png

bah... same thing with that drive in the usb enclosure.... maybe an ide/usb cd/dvd drive is the only way to go?? it seems to hate my SATA with a passion...

well, I am in the process of installing Kalyway to OSX1 on the IDE HD, in the USB enclosure, using the macbook to do the install right now.... I guess we'll see if I can boot to it on the desktop, when that is done.

^ no luck with that, but I do have a Kalyway install on the IDE drive in the USB 2.0 enclosure to play with if anyone has any ideas what I can do to fix this... when I tried booting to it, it gave me the same screen that iAtkos did (the Apple with the crossed out circle symbol over it).

post-277152-1219610637_thumb.png

I'm going to try doing what haxi suggested with the enclosure...

My screen caps were taken from a real MacBook, so afaik I can't use that to aid the install.. or can I install it to the USB drive from the macbook, and then put that drive in the desktop and so some crazy kext manipulation to get it working in that system??

Another thing that should be noted is that I was also having some trouble with the 500gb sata seagate drives as well... I originally had two of them in there on A0 and B0, and it was impossible to get the XP install working without unplugging one of them.... the fact that they show up with exactly the same name in the bios is probably what was causing the confusion, although it could be a seagate problem as well... Even after unplugging one of the drives I would ocassionally get blue screens of death on shutdown saying something about UNKNOWN DEVICE... which could be solved normally by shutting the system down and turning it back on again. Although I would get a "your system has recovered from a serious error" message.

..maybe it's time to find a western digital drive.

Anyways, going to format as haxi suggested and try installing to the drive in the IDE drive in the USB 2.0 enclosure.

edit @ Mysticus: no usb dvd drive unfortunately, but the USB HDD enclosure is free to be used on either the macbook or the desktop in progress..

here's the format this time... going to try the install with the drive in the USB enclosure

post-277152-1219603913_thumb.png

bah... same thing with that drive in the usb enclosure.... maybe an ide/usb cd/dvd drive is the only way to go?? it seems to hate my SATA with a passion...

well, I am in the process of installing Kalyway to OSX1 on the IDE HD, in the USB enclosure, using the macbook to do the install right now.... I guess we'll see if I can boot to it on the desktop, when that is done.

^ no luck with that, but I do have a Kalyway install on the IDE drive in the USB 2.0 enclosure to play with if anyone has any ideas what I can do to fix this... when I tried booting to it, it gave me the same screen that iAtkos did (the Apple with the crossed out circle symbol over it).

post-277152-1219610637_thumb.png

Boot from Kalyway OSX1 on the IDE HDD in the USB enclosure with -v so we can see where it freezes.....

that screen showing taht it actually finds a drive, but your usb2 controller is not working correctly, i suggest you to try to replace the iousbfamily.kext with one from here (this is actually entire iousbfamily.kext) in your macbook... and try to boot from usb drive again to see if it is gonna take ownership this time? (usbehci ownership error is a known problem and there are fixes for it, one is called pcgenusb2 but the one in the link, is same method with the latest iousbfamily and original name == instead of pcgenusbehci it uses appleusbehci in plugins)

fingers crossed...

Ok, now we are getting somewhere! ...sorta

All the USBF junk went away... but it's still giving me that waiting for root device {censored}.

This is what it looks like now:

post-277152-1219621378_thumb.jpg

Eek.... :( Have you checked on Seagate website for any HDD firmware updates or fixes.....?

Finally i installed kalyway 10.5.2 with natit and graphic work ok.

But sound no work...

I have nforce ACL850...i try AC97 but nothing... try differents ACL888 versions but no sound.

need help for build-in sound.

Have you tried everything in this guide for ALC8xx?..... :(

Thanks haxi I go to Try it.

Other problems:

I installed kalyway leopard... only this detect my HDD IDE and my DVD IDE

Other releases no detect my IDE or my SATA HD/DVD. (still waitng for root device).

In leopard i tryed install applenforceata.ketx but SATA HD/DVD no work. Only work my IDE device with Kalyway iso.

help for sata work? my chipset is nvidia nforce MPC73Pv

Thanks

Ok, now we are getting somewhere! ...sorta

All the USBF junk went away... but it's still giving me that waiting for root device {censored}.

This is what it looks like now:

post-277152-1219621378_thumb.jpg

can you tell me how are you booting off? from USB HDD? or directly from pata/sata ports? (also make sure that your system.kext version and kernel versions match same numbers!!! when you are booting off from usb hdd it is important!!!)

bcoz what you say about not booting does not make any sense if you are booting off from usb... your usb controller is working, and should not cause waiting for root device anymore...

if it does? something wrong with what you are doing... or you dont know what you are doing at all...

just confirm that you are booting off from usb hdd and it gives same rootnot found error?

can you tell me how are you booting off? from USB HDD? or directly from pata/sata ports? (also make sure that your system.kext version and kernel versions match same numbers!!! when you are booting off from usb hdd it is important!!!)

bcoz what you say about not booting does not make any sense if you are booting off from usb... your usb controller is working, and should not cause waiting for root device anymore...

if it does? something wrong with what you are doing... or you dont know what you are doing at all...

just confirm that you are booting off from usb hdd and it gives same rootnot found error?

yeah, I am booting from usb hdd with the install that I made on my macbook 2.16ghz C2D, intel gma950 onboard graphics, 2gbs of 677mhz ram... totally different hardware configuration.. the USB messages are gone since we changed the kext, but it is still giving the Still waiting for root device... (see the last screenshot I posted)

I figured it might be easier to make changes to the installation to try to get it to boot if it was on the USB hd, than trying to alter the kalyway dvd. (Like how we changed the USB kext...)

as for me not knowing what I am doing... for all intents and purposes you are right. I have read around here a bit over the past months, and I read the first two posts of this thread, but I would still classify myself as an ultranub when it comes to hackintosh installs... I read that people have used this motherboard in hackintosh machines before, so I didn't expect to have this much trouble...

all i can suggest you to do the entire install in your macbook, on to your usb hdd completely new... using kalyway 10.5.2... make sure you read my guide about what to choose and what not to choose on the install dvd on post#2 (including the pcgenusb patch, because you will install that patch from my previous link...)

things to do and how to do: (make sure on your hackintosh pc, in bios, usb legacy support is enabled as well)

1) bring your usb hdd to macbook

2) format/repartition the entire hdd using disk utility, as, 4 partitions... 1) osx1 (hfs journaled) 2 osx2 (hfs journaled) 3 windows (dos/fat32) 4 osx3 (hfs journaled) == option as MBR and apply the changes so that it actually does the partitioning

3) bring your kalyway dvd to macbook

4) open terminal

5) type everyting as i type (make sure you catch the spaces as well) below except the kalyway dvd name part which you will learn how

open terminal and start typing

sudo su

password: (enter your password here, and it wont show any typing but if it is not correct it will ask you to retype it)

cd /volumes

ls (this will list entire directory of mounted partitions==check the full name of the kalyway dvd and enter it as it is inside " " including quotes so that you dont worry about spaces in the directory name)

cd "name_of_kalyway dvd" (make sure to add the name inside " ")

cd system/installation/packages

open OSInstall.mpkg

this will bring the kalyway install screen

make sure to choose correct partition (osx1 on usb hdd) because by default your original boot partition on macbook may/will be selected...

go to customize window

and choose the things i suggested in the post#2 for kalyway dvd

let it is finish installing...

once done, dont restart, and install/replace IOUSBFamily.kext on to osx1... now the tricky part is that on that usb hdd, osx on macbook will/may replace your Extensions.kext (cache of kexts for fast booting) which causes funny results... but nothing to do about it until you can boot of from that hdd

put the usb hdd back to your hackintosh and boot it as usb hdd still, (dont put into internal ide/sata ports yet) using -v -f to load all kexts from zero and see errors if any...

SPECIAL NOTE: if it gives root not found error, i want you to unplug the usb hdd cable from your computer and put it back immidiatey (like in 1 sec) and wait... it may spit out some error messages, but wait... like 15-20 secs...

if using usb/unplug/plug still does give root not found error, it means:

your mobo is total piece of {censored}? or

your hdd is total piece of {censored}? or

there is definetely something you are not doing correctly!

bcoz booting from usb hdd does not cause root not found error unless your usb controller is not initiated...

Hello all, I just installed the iatkos on my dell 9300, installation and everything else went smoothly, but now i have a problem going back into the installation screen, and booting it up.

Everytime i would hit the white Apple screen it would just go back to this screen (check attachment).

Or everytime when i try to boot it up it remains in this certain screen, i type -v and it shows diagonitic messages, but when i type the "?" nothing pops up.

Any suggestion here? Would really appreciate it!

Btw, Its a Dell 9300

Intel centrino mobile processor

100GB Sony HD

1GB Memory

ATI radeon mobile

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Intel Mobile Chipset

SIGMATEL STAC 975X AC97

Update: I changed the boot sequence into DVD first then hard drive, now im back in the installation screen. But it still wont boot into mac, its like its not picking up the hard drive or reading off the hard drive to boot into mac. I changed it after the first installation by mistake.

post-278416-1219695462_thumb.jpg

Hello all, I just installed the iatkos on my dell 9300, installation and everything else went smoothly, but now i have a problem going back into the installation screen, and booting it up.

Everytime i would hit the white Apple screen it would just go back to this screen (check attachment).

Or everytime when i try to boot it up it remains in this certain screen, i type -v and it shows diagonitic messages, but when i type the "?" nothing pops up.

Any suggestion here? Would really appreciate it!

Btw, Its a Dell 9300

Intel centrino mobile processor

100GB Sony HD

1GB Memory

ATI radeon mobile

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Intel Mobile Chipset

SIGMATEL STAC 975X AC97

This thread is for nFORCE chipset MOBOs + Intel CPU systems.......so you need to search for more useful threads by searching in Google with, for example: <Dell 9300 InsanelyMac boot problems> (without < and >)....... :)

all i can suggest you to do the entire install in your macbook, on to your usb hdd completely new... using kalyway 10.5.2... make sure you read my guide about what to choose and what not to choose on the install dvd on post#2 (including the pcgenusb patch, because you will install that patch from my previous link...)

things to do and how to do: (make sure on your hackintosh pc, in bios, usb legacy support is enabled as well)

1) bring your usb hdd to macbook

2) format/repartition the entire hdd using disk utility, as, 4 partitions... 1) osx1 (hfs journaled) 2 osx2 (hfs journaled) 3 windows (dos/fat32) 4 osx3 (hfs journaled) == option as MBR and apply the changes so that it actually does the partitioning

3) bring your kalyway dvd to macbook

4) open terminal

5) type everyting as i type (make sure you catch the spaces as well) below except the kalyway dvd name part which you will learn how

open terminal and start typing

sudo su

password: (enter your password here, and it wont show any typing but if it is not correct it will ask you to retype it)

cd /volumes

ls (this will list entire directory of mounted partitions==check the full name of the kalyway dvd and enter it as it is inside " " including quotes so that you dont worry about spaces in the directory name)

cd "name_of_kalyway dvd" (make sure to add the name inside " ")

cd system/installation/packages

open OSInstall.mpkg

this will bring the kalyway install screen

make sure to choose correct partition (osx1 on usb hdd) because by default your original boot partition on macbook may/will be selected...

go to customize window

and choose the things i suggested in the post#2 for kalyway dvd

let it is finish installing...

once done, dont restart, and install/replace IOUSBFamily.kext on to osx1... now the tricky part is that on that usb hdd, osx on macbook will/may replace your Extensions.kext (cache of kexts for fast booting) which causes funny results... but nothing to do about it until you can boot of from that hdd

put the usb hdd back to your hackintosh and boot it as usb hdd still, (dont put into internal ide/sata ports yet) using -v -f to load all kexts from zero and see errors if any...

SPECIAL NOTE: if it gives root not found error, i want you to unplug the usb hdd cable from your computer and put it back immidiatey (like in 1 sec) and wait... it may spit out some error messages, but wait... like 15-20 secs...

if using usb/unplug/plug still does give root not found error, it means:

your mobo is total piece of {censored}? or

your hdd is total piece of {censored}? or

there is definetely something you are not doing correctly!

bcoz booting from usb hdd does not cause root not found error unless your usb controller is not initiated...

it's up and running!!! but only when I boot it from the internal PATA... it won't boot from the USB enclosure, but I do have USB support (for my keyboard and mouse once it has booted up(from internal hackintosh PATA))...

now I just need to figure out how to copy the install to my sata drive, and straighten out all the drivers...

it's up and running!!! but only when I boot it from the internal PATA... it won't boot from the USB enclosure, but I do have USB support (for my keyboard and mouse once it has booted up(from internal hackintosh PATA))...

now I just need to figure out how to copy the install to my sata drive, and straighten out all the drivers...

Glad you finally up and running......it has been a long haul..... -_-

If you can arrange for 3. and 4. below, I suggest you download and use Carbon Copy Cloner 3.1.1 to do a block-level clone to your SATA HDD......for a block-level clone:

1. You need the intended OS X install volume i.e. Target Volume ACTUAL FORMATTED VOLUME size to be ≥ than the Source Volume ACTUAL FORMATTED VOLUME size.....e.g. 0.5GB greater or 1GB greater.....do not make it much bigger as (a) you can only clone from small to larger in terms of volume size and (:thumbsdown_anim: the free space will/may not be recognised as usable without running partitioning software.....such as iPartition......

2. You must choose to erase the target volume during the clone.

3. You must be able to unmount both devices (there cannot be any open files on either drive) but do not actually unmount the drives prior to the clone.

4. You cannot be booted from either drive......

This is one of the reasons why I always have Kalyway OS X 10.5.2 installed in a 10GB HFS+ "OS_X_Boot" volume as the 1st volume on my OS X MBR multi-volume partitioned HDDs......

It functions as a "First-Aider" and "Clone-Maker" and "For Very Large File Transfers via Gigabit LAN and/or Firewire Devices" OS X Kalyway 10.5.2 system with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" inserted under Kernel Flags string in com.apple.Boot.plist.......... :)

It services my Main and Backup OS X 10.5.4 systems and my various test OS X installs e.g. iATKOS v2.0i or iDeneb v1 10.5.4...... :)

In my experience, Kalyway OS X 10.5.2 Install DVD is the least troublesome & most reliable OS X distro ....at least for nFORCE chipset MOBOs with Intel CPUs.... :D