Wine+X11 Update

136 posts in this topic

good job darkten. This is a reply to one of your previous posts of what we'd like to see, it's be awesome to see the windows MSN Messenger working on a mac, since the mac verson isn;t the greated thing i;ve ever seen, plus kinda slow, adium kinda blows too. Would that be a relatively easy project?

While you wait for this to happen, you can try aMSN http://www.cmq.qc.ca/4w/amsn/ which is not a 100% substitut for WinMSN but has some more features than MacMSN. The most important feature I like to see in a Msn-"clone" is Personal Messages with seems to be included in the next aMSN release 0.96.

I think it's premature to assume that darwine will do so. Wine/Office 2003 under Linux is verified. I'm trying to get it working right now. However, I have hit a brick wall with a dependency that exists but darwine will not recognize.

The link is located at: http://digg.com/apple/WINE_Arrives_for_Intel_Macs

=========

This is the error I get using term and the healper. If anyone can assist.

wine: failed to initialize: dlopen(/Library/Wine/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so, 2): Symbol not found: _i386_set_ldt
 Referenced from: /Library/Wine/lib/libwine.1.dylib
 Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

i get the same error :

wine: failed to initialize: dlopen(/Library/Wine/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so, 2): Symbol not found: _i386_set_ldt

Referenced from: /Library/Wine/lib/libwine.1.dylib

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

trying to run winzip100.exe which is supposed to work

Well, those with 10.4.3 can get the files from the restore disk. Just dont know what implications there are with changing to the 10.4.4 lib files on a 10.4.3 system. Time to fire up old vmware and test a bit.

Edited by domino

working nice on iMac CD 17"

Just can find an app that would install well

(tried Office 2K3/VLC/Firefox)

WINE definitely supports office via a rather convoluted install process...

Hence Codeweavers :star_smile:

Again, not sure *what* the deal is; perhaps Emmanuel (the guy that did these patches) might have some insight.

My best advice is to 1. Chill and 2. Monitor the winehq and darwine developer lists closely for patches and improvements.

-D

Yes it needs to be recompiled on 10.4.3

libSystem.B.dylib is different in 10.4.3/10.4.4

Interesting notion. You realize that *everything* links against libSystem.B.dylib, right? I know the stuff on my Dark Ten blog runs on 10.4.3. All of it was built on 10.4.4 (since Apple isn't actually shipping 10.4.3 on OSX to anyone...*tee-hee*)

I think it just might be that symbol, tho I don't know what might have triggered that.

All the more reason I didn't bother posting what I built. Its really rather easy to build...and you better get crackin' as tomorrow's cvs build is likely to *not* work :angry:

Ah, the bleeding edge :star_smile:

Well, those with 10.4.3 can get the files from the restore disk. Just dont know what implications there are with changing to the 10.4.4 lib files on a 10.4.3 system. Time to fire up old vmware and test a bit.

Don't do that you would royally screw 10.4.3

Don't do that you would royally screw 10.4.3

Thats the beauty of locking the vmware image, no matter how you screw it up, restart the session and it's back up and working. How ever I didn't realize the the file's dependency to 10.4.3, so I guess it's a waste of time. Anyway, nothing much for ppl like me to do on 10.4.3 anymore so I have planty of time.

Utilities? We all want games! Games! GAMES!!! Okay, joking... Here are some good testing programs:

1. AOL's AIM (I know there is iChat, but some people like AIM)

2. IE 6

3. Google Desktop (joking, this would never ever ever work (-: )

4. Ad-Aware (this should be an interesting test)

Just for laughs:

1. IE 7 Beta

2. VMware

3. Magic Partition

4. Google Earth (uses OpenGL or DirectX, will never work under Darwine's current state, unfortunately)

This is the worst list of Apps to test under Wine that I have ever seen. Do you use a Mac?

First off, there are already Mac versions of AIM and Google Earth.

IE Sucks, you should really switch to Firefox regardless of your platform -- and there are Universal builds of Firefox you can get. Final release due out soon.

VMWare? VirtualPC will be out soon enough.

Ad-Aware?! It's a Mac, we don't have to worry about spyware all too much.

Hey can anyone help me out? I'm trying to follow these instructions from here to get WINE working on my intel iMac:

http://www.javarants.com/B1823453972/C1242...3301/index.html

1) Start the Optional Install installer on your Mac OS X install disk 1.

2) Install Applications / X11

3) Download Wine binaries for Mac on x86.

4) Uncompress it into /Library

5) export PATH=/Library/Wine/bin:$PATH

6) export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Library/Wine/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

7) Start /Applications/Utilities/X11.app

8) Download WinZip10

9) execute 'wine winzip100.exe'

So.... I have X11 installed already. I downloaded the Wine binaries. I decompressed the file, and dragged the folder to /Library

.. am I then meant to go and type Steps 5 + 6 above into the Terminal? I tried that, and nothing seems to happen.

.. whenever I try to run any .exe file, the WineHelper app starts, and the log window opens - all I get are a string of errors starting with:

wine: creating configuration directory '/Users/guestuser/.wine'...

cp: /lib/wine/start.exe.so: No such file or directory

.. and going on like that for a bit and then:

wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/Users/guestuser/.wine'.

Warning: failed to create /Users/guestuser/.wine-PIlR3y/dosdevices/c:/ windows/notepad.exe

Warning: failed to create /Users/guestuser/.wine-PIlR3y/dosdevices/c:/ windows/regedit.exe

Any tips from anyone about what I'm doing wrong?