Wine+X11 Update

136 posts in this topic

It would be great if you could check out Framemaker. Adobe has not released an OSX version, so we are still running it in Classic, which we lose with Intel.

Tried Sheepshaver? This should let you run classic on intel machines, and features a JIT compiler for PPC emulation.

I think it runs up to 9.0.2

-D

Hey all,

I'm getting re-familiarized with all of the Mac stuff (just bought the intel box) and would consider myself a novice. This WINE thing is extremely interesting to me. I've got it installed and running, and was able to open 'winecfg' from the X11 console.

however, i am not able to get any apps (besides the bundled ones) working including the winzip10.exe example from Javarants here: http://www.javarants.com/B1823453972/C1242...3301/index.html

When I type in the command 'wine winzip100.exe' I get an error : "cannot find 'winzip100.exe'. I have even gone into winecfg and added it as an application in the app list.

Is there a special place that I need to put apps in order for them to run? Do they have to go in the 'bin' folder within the Wine library?

help is appreciated...

Hey, all you mac osx86 booters who already have your Intel mac... darwine has released their first x86 binary! Here's the link to the main pageDarwine News . That means no digging through the CVS anymore, and better support, etc. I really don't know what the exact deets are, but having this finally posted means alot for the Darwine project!

Be sure to get it!

How are you guys getting these additional apps to run? I finally got winzip running but can't get anything else! Someone help! :D

you have 10.4.4 or DTK version 10.4.3 ?

if 10.4.4 use darwine 0.9.7 x86 instead - it works out the box.

Interestingly enough, I've found similar to less in some cases compatibility with the darwine 0.9.7 release.

I'm going to have look in cvs to see why that might be. I know for a fact that opengl isn't working...and it cannot make a "fresh" wine install because its trying to read files fom where they don't exist.

It looks like it was built, then bundled, but the wine stuff isn't 100% synced with the bundle locations.

-D

GLX support is one of the easiest things to fix. It's merely a stupid check in the configure script which merely needs to be edited out (I don't know why it's even there in the first place).

After that, just set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and you can run OpenGL and D3D apps.

GLX support is one of the easiest things to fix. It's merely a stupid check in the configure script which merely needs to be edited out (I don't know why it's even there in the first place).

After that, just set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and you can run OpenGL and D3D apps.

This is no longer accurate info, strobe. (if you can) check out the .0.9.7 sources.

-D

why does it not work properly with 10.4.3

Because 10.4.3 is an incomplete developer release, and doesn't have the proper headers in /usr/include.

This header *is* in the universal sdk however. Attempting to compile wine against the universal sdk for me has been unsuccessful however.

Could anyone help me work out why I can't seem to run anything with DarWINE, I just keep getting the error:

2006-02-13 22:24:33.202 WineHelper[1576] *** NSTask: Task create for path /Applications/Darwine/Sample WineLib Applications/notepad.exe failed: 85, "Bad executable (or shared library)".

Any help with be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I just went through this interesting discussion and have what is probably a simple question (given that even MS Office can now be executed in a Mac Intel with WINE).

I have a Win32 library (DLL, include files and a LIB) which contains mathematical functions that I use a lot in my C++ programs. It's a commercial library, so there is no way I can recompile it in a Mac.

Would I be able to compile, link and execute my C++ programs with this Win32 DLL using WINE in the Mac Intel? Meaning, how would WINE make the Mac OS recognise and execute this Win32 DLL? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am new to WINE and have no idea on how it works. This detail is the only thing preventing me to switch to a Mac. Thanks a lot.

I am a user of a software package called Planned Giving Manager from PGCalc http://www.pgcalc.com/software/default.htm

They are somewhat resistant to making a Macintosh version because the majority of their user base is on Windows.

So.......

I would really love that DarWINE comes to fruition and lets Windows applications to be launched within OSX.

I don't want to have to spend money and effort removing Macs and replacing them with WinTel Boxes. YUK.

Does anyone have an idea about time frames on a functional DarWINE.

Thanks

ronjamin

• 2 weeks later...

This thread looks a little dead, and I hate to post an "test app" request...

I am curious about the possibility of running Unreal Editor 2 under Darwine. I know UT2K4 is native on OSX, interestingly Unreal Editor is not. While Unreal Engine 3 is supposedly going to supposedly going to support OSX as a developer platform, the current gen does not.

There have been attempts to port the editing, or remake it for other platforms. But my research has yeilded that they all died off years ago ... which is really sad.

As my MBP will be arriving in a few weeks, I look forward to the possibility to doing my mod work unbound from my PC desktop. Obviously, when it arrives I will do research myself to figure out the possibillities and then spread my knowledge with the other mac owners in my team (dual booting might be an option for me at that point ... maybe)

If someone might check the possibillity of running Unreal Editor 2 under Darwine, that would great! I know the chances of it working are slim, as I learn more about this, I am curious to understand the current shortcomings that would disallow this program from running properly. (unless it runs perfectly, which would be wonderful!)

I'm tryin' but I still don't know how to make darwine work even with the standard minesweeper given...

If someone wants to help can that person set the step-by-step on how to install...

Plz... For a little newbie in this sector

• 2 months later...

It took some work, but I was able to get a working (if a bit buggy) version of IE6 running on OS X via WINE.

I used the installer script from IEs4Linux. After resolving its dependencies, it ran through the IE6 install just fine, then hung during the IE5.5 install, at which point I killed it.

If I remember correctly, the version of WINE I am running was obtained here (but don't quote me on that, I installed it a while ago). I installed cabextract using DarwinPorts (because the version available through Fink was apparently too old).

Should be fairly straightforward, thanks to the IEs4Linux installer script. Enjoy!

post-41718-1149238314_thumb.jpg