Wine+X11 Update

136 posts in this topic

i have tried to compile my own version of wine, after i compiled it i tried going through

the ies4linux installer, but it didn't work for me,

the installer worked, gave me some options, and then died just after finished downloading all the installer files without

no error, it just stoped...

the bin folder was empty as the installer didn't even start... :gathering:

the version of wine i compiled was 0.9.15

btw, although IE6 isn't running (yet) on my install,

other .exe do run for example winzip and Mirc (crash while connecting to server)

another thing, i can start the microsoft installer of IE6 but it crashes after pressing next or something like that...

I got the latest stable version of wine compiled and installed. When I run ies4linux, the installer goes perfectly through IE5.5 installer where it locks up, so I just close it. When I go to run ~/bin/ie6, IE seems to start up and then wine gives me a bunch of errors and crashes out. Other windows stuff such as notepad and winzip run so I'm not sure where the problem lies. My wine version is Wine 0.9.14..

Hello all,

I compiled Wine without any problems but was wondering if its safe to run the make install as suggested in the readme? I didn't know if that would work under OS X or cause issues as its not 'OS X aware'?

Has anybody tried running Forte's Agent under Wine? Its the only app I really miss since I switched from Windows.

Thanks,

-P

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone make a binary to download and install?

I'd love to build it into a pkg, but I don't know anything about getting WINE to talk to native Windows DLLs... Do I just drag them into their respective folders in the c drive folder? There needs to be more documentation on this stuff. (Either that or I'm just not looking hard enough.)

Darwine's pretty close to a drag and drop install once X11 is installed. But it's default config and not a lot works.

=)

I'd love to build it into a pkg, but I don't know anything about getting WINE to talk to native Windows DLLs... Do I just drag them into their respective folders in the c drive folder? There needs to be more documentation on this stuff. (Either that or I'm just not looking hard enough.)

Darwine's pretty close to a drag and drop install once X11 is installed. But it's default config and not a lot works.

=)

From reading the darwine mailing list the issue with 'not a lot working' all stems from there being no root window in Apple's X11. Wine requires a root window to draw subsequent windows - so without it most apps will fail. The darwine quartz driver should (will) overcome this problem - but it is still in development.

As for dll's etc - darwine handles these exactly the same as wine - so get the wine dll handling instructions and you'll be fine ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, im got a question the only thing that stuck me now with windows is the application "Corel Draw", i know that corel launch a version for mac, the version 11, but its freakin slow, so my questin is can a application like that run with wine...? If yes what can i do...? I already have the latest darwine and the latest X11, but give me erros, dont have it now but tomorrow at work i can post the erros...cheers...!!!