Wine+X11 Update

136 posts in this topic

sorry, but i guess you misunderstood the intent of my post and fabricated a tone for it. allow me to rephrase it for those with marginal awareness and interpretational skills while beginning my re-post with the proclamation that ive never used darwine or wine and know nothing of either.

with that said... have you or anyone tested any production applications like 3d studio max, vegas, etc? have you or anyone been able to [k] apps only k'able on windows, like cubase sx 3? have you or anyone used peripherals successfully with windows applications such as a midi controller with reason or a wacom tablet with illustrator?

Allow me to retort by saying you need not get sassy with me...

Try running some of these apps yourself. In its current state, due to some very odd behavior in the PE loader, your milage may vary.

Lots of, as you say, "production apps" are used on Wine everyday. You assertion wasn't specific enough...so let me be clear;

As of today, Wine on OSX Intel doesn't run anything that anyone that has a bootleg "Mac" is interested in.

Tomorrow may be different :)

Unless you're coding, the best you can contribute right about now is running some apps, (especially those listed at winehq) and tell the world what works and what does not.

As a person that doesn't run Windows, I don't have a cadre of apps to test it with, if you know what I'm sayin'...its out now, so we can see.

-D

Uuuh, speaking as someone who rewrote quartzdrv from scratch a couple times, :)

Don't write me and don't ask me to donate my time. If I had the time, and the money, and the hardware, and internet access, and the...sure I would.

You people aren't my hobby and I'm not your sugar daddy. If you want something to work either DO IT YOURSELF or hire someone to do it for you.

And as such, that clearly wasn't directed at you. Look around the (mac) web...there is tone on more than a couple of *developer's* site's along the lines of "oh wouldn't it be nice".

I agree with your sentiment 100% Personally I think the $10K "boot XP(!)" effort could be better spent on something like Wine.

And as for the "do it yourself" part...

Wrong guy again, mate :)

-D

not trying to pester anyone, but a page or two back someone asked about pc essential apps. in response, the only things keeping me from going all mac are autodesk programs like autocad and inventor and maybe microsoft (**hiss**) visual studio. not asking you to try and run these, as i know it is an incredibly difficult task, but way down the road i think that would be a great goal.

question: just out of curiousity, when running these executables through wine and x11 do you install the programs in the same sense that one would install something on windows? or does it mount a disk image? or something i probably couldnt comprehend?

Don't you guys think that we will see a vmware type application for OS X Intel soon? This will be so much better than these wine hacks.

Much as I've love vmware available for the Intel Macs - Wine is still better in many cases.

Why burn all your RAM, processor time and hard drive space running the whole of Windows, when you can just run the particular Windows apps you need on OSX?

Hell, if the Wine code is implemented more efficiently than Windows - it could even be faster! I'd imagine we'd need to wait until the Wine code is ported from X11 to Aqua for that though.

cheers,

aid, drooling over a MacBook pro...

Don't you guys think that we will see a vmware type application for OS X Intel soon? This will be so much better than these wine hacks.

The goal (of WINE) is not to emulate a session of windows or run a windows box on your MacIntel. Wine just allows windows executables to use Windows APIs on other platforms, without the bulk of windows that you need to run an emulation environment with vmware. Its true, vmware will probably make apps work similarly to how they work on windows computers, but WINE won't eat up your resources or harddrive space, and you won't have to run windows on your mac. These are two seperate solutions, WINE aims at allowing windows programs to run on Macs, whereas VMware aims at having windows run inside an emulation environment running on OS X, with programs running in that sandbox of an emulation environment. I don't mean to be condescending, just trying to make it clear. I personally would love to see WINE work on OS X intel.

For those that have access to a macintel, a promising program is "Newsbin" available at newsbin.com. It rivals Unison, and is a great usenet tool. Since it behaves as a self-contained app for the most part, accessing internet-access dlls as it may, it seems as though it would work on the WINE build that you have constructed.

Since I am on a windows box, I would be glad to donate any DLLs that you need for testing, PM me if you would like draken.

For the openGL stuff, would the video card require specific openGL drivers? I'm not too familiar with the specifics of openGL, but would it be possible to use NSopenGL (cocoa) to output video as then the core code would run in a windows executable, but would be rendered native to OS X, with native windowing support (not x11) and with native rendering with proper video card drivers? This is not a hypothesis, nor a supposition, I'm simply asking a question. I don't know about OS X, I'm planning on making the switch, I've only developed in Windows and Linux so far.

For the Corporate Mac user... I recommend validating functionality of MicroSoft OUTLOOK.

Not that I want to run it personally, but it would offer another advantage to being a Mac user.

for corporate use.. you can use Evolution 2 - google will tell you how to compile it.

It supports lots of features of outlook 2k3.

IE Sucks, you should really switch to Firefox regardless of your platform -- and there are Universal builds of Firefox you can get. Final release due out soon.

Just wanted to say the most likely reason I'd want to use WINE is to run IE. Not to use it as my daily browser (I like Safari), but to test sites I'm working on.

There are basically two browser rendering behaviours: those that match the standards (Firefox, Safari, Opera) and IE/Win. Any web site has to work in both, and that means it needs to be tested in both.

The fact that IE is trash is why I need to run it.

Would anyone with 10.4.4 and the new Darwine build try running/installing the Paradise Poker client? I like to play :) www.paradisepoker.com

thanks

It crashed in installation for me. This is on 10.4.4 with a iMac Core Duo. Here is the error:

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x90823daa (thread 0009), starting debugger...

FIXME : get_thread_context_ptrace unimplemented

One of the barriers I run into many times on a move to Mac is Microsoft Access. Seeing this app run under WINE on OS X would be huge. Thanks!

I second that. Microsoft Access on the Mac would kick butt.

Josh

For those that have access to a macintel, a promising program is "Newsbin" available at newsbin.com. It rivals Unison, and is a great usenet tool. Since it behaves as a self-contained app for the most part, accessing internet-access dlls as it may, it seems as though it would work on the WINE build that you have constructed.

I used newsbin as my binary newsreader app on osx86 10.4.1 with darwine on a hackintosh until 10.4.3 broke my darwine.

It worked perfectly, although a few very minor interface problems (just in the way buttons looked). Newsbin is the best newsreader app there is, period, and I really miss it now that darwine doesn't work any more on my hackintosh. osx newsreaders really suck from what I've found, although if there's something decent I'm game to try it. I've used a few and am very disappointed.

I second that. Microsoft Access on the Mac would kick butt.

Josh

there's something similar, and it's free, the open office 2.0 database called "Base" I think is the name. A copy of access, not as complete, no vbs programming etc, but very very good none the less. You can run it now, natively, by installing a native intel port of open office 2.0 for intel macs. it's out there somewhere in beta, just look around.

access WILL work eventually with darwine because it actually does sort of work on linux with wine/codeweavers. So hang in there - it'll happen, but it could be months and/or years away still for osx if the darwine developers don't consider it a high priority (or just have a lot of hurdles to jump).

It crashed in installation for me. This is on 10.4.4 with a iMac Core Duo. Here is the error:

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xffffffff at address 0x90823daa (thread 0009), starting debugger...

FIXME : get_thread_context_ptrace unimplemented

Thanks JohnnyBlue (wow, one of my favorite drinks). Hopefull as this Darwine matures it will be able to handle this particular poker client. One of two remaining Winblowz apps I need to run. That and DVD Remake (unless there is a OSX equivalent of removing preview trailers and FBI warnings from DVDs)

thx

-sh

Whats the chance of DirectX working under DarWine? I don't need it for games; the Solid modeler that I rely on doesn't work with OpenGl, but DirectX instead.

Like I said in the original WINE thread, D3D works. I even attached screen shots of a D3D app running in OS X.

You just have to compile it with GLX support and set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

Like I said in the original WINE thread, D3D works. I even attached screen shots of a D3D app running in OS X.

You just have to compile it with GLX support and set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

Was this an app compiled against winelib, or a Windows PE binary? Wine complains about Apple's X server missing extensions when a PE is run...

Incidentally, the new source (0.9.7+) does away with that stupid libGL.a test and notices the .dylib just fine (tho the old darwine patch isn't in configure/configure.ac)...but its still screwy. Need to pass -I/usr/X11R6/include as a CFLAG when you run configure...

This also takes care of the need to have to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH; in fact if you do wine warns about a circular reference.

-D

Ok...

So what sort of *utilites* and such do Windows users use/can't live without, that I may test some things?

Thanks!

It would be great if you could check out Framemaker. Adobe has not released an OSX version, so we are still running it in Classic, which we lose with Intel.

I tried it under 10.4.3 the version 1111. I got an error

wine: failed to initialize: dlopen(/Library/Wine/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so, 2): Symbol not found: _i386_set_ldt

Referenced from: /Library/Wine/lib//libwine.1.dylib

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Are the succesful people using 10.4.4 ?

This "libSystem.B.dylib" in 10.4.4 differs from the one in 10.4.3.......

has someone tried to just simply replace the old one in 10.4.3 with this new from 10.4.4?

Does it affect the overall system usage?