Asus P5K-E and P5K Premium users

gambcl

76 posts in this topic

I am thinking of trying one of these boards (don't mind which) but I first would like to know if people using these boards are having all the sleep/wake/shutdown problems that so many other boards have.

So, if you have one of the P5K-E or Premium boards, does your system sleep & wake reliably? Does it shutdown properly?

Any other problems to look out for with these boards? Do the LAN ports work?

If the board is sleeping/waking well for you, could you post your board revision and ROM version please?

Thanks,

gambcl

(sleepless with a P35-DQ6)

Asus P5K-E WiFi-AP

Bios ver.: 0906

All works perfectly, but with some sort of tricks.

Onboard network & sound was working "out of the box". Sleeps & reboots are good after new AppleACPIplatform install (download link is in first post of Kalyway topic).

I'm using the P5k-E WiFi-AP board and have had no problems. Here's my setup:

Motherboard: P5k-E WiFi-AP

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB (works out of the box but used NVinject to get hardware accelerator going)

Wireless Card: Linksys WMP54GS (works out of the box)

Optical Drive: Microsoft Xbox 360 HD-DVD external drive (Only way I got my Kalyway dvd install disc to work)

Kalyway 10.5.1 install disc

Motherboard: Asus P5K-E WiFi-AP

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 7300GT 512MB (nvinject 512Mb rom flash & nvinject kext works 100%)

On-board Wireless works with OEM Driver but not sen as airport card (Have not fully tested reliability of connection and software does not seem to support bridge AP mode)

4 SATA drives set to AHCI in bios

iATKOS_v1.0i - (installed on 2nd machine and then installed drive to avoid IDE issues)

I prefer iATKOS to Kalyway on this motherboard because I have shorter setup time. The updated P5K-E kexts with included script quickly gets your network and sound up (When I installed this on Kalyway I borked system but network seems to work already in Kalyway install and correct Azalia is easily found).

The primary issues for me:

1. ATA/IDE - The IDE issue bums me out because I have an old(er) 500Gb IDE that I would like to connect via IDE bus (jmicron). I can run 2 drives off the ide bus (AHCI in Bios) BUT when clients try to move data off these drives via afp or smb the Asus P5K-E WiFi-AP server kp's. Every time. I have not tried to install a superdrive into the primary IDE port and leave the slave empty. Maybe I'll try that. I just don't trust it moving data of any kind at this point and kp's while I'm away mean that I can't access this server and I don't want to deal with that. People have said with AHCI they can use the ICH9R (not ich9) successfully but no joy for me. People have also said disable jmicron ide in bios or delete extention but that has not been needed for me with no drives attached. I would really like the use of this IDE channel for 2 hard drives!

2. Time Machine.

Cant install the IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH because I am already using another modified version required by the board. I'm not loosing much sleep about it. The recovery interface is absurd, you can easily create scripts far more personalized than that reality show code named Time Machine.

As A side note to be taken very lightly geekbench scores are comparable under kalyway and ATKOS. They both work fine for me on this board. Installation needs considerations on this board, sound, and perhaps lan depending on chosen installer.

The board has good expansion capacity with pci and ram. I like it.

For me the only real issue here is ide support. Jmicon has been a tricky one since the beginning. I would love a solution either in the form of a fix or support for ANY PCI(e) non-raid IDE controller.

I don't use sleep at all and reboot is at times slow. I am sure the reboot fix would work but its not that bad.

Thanks for the replies folks.

To narrow the situation a little:

* I will be disabling the wifi, as I use gigabit LAN.

* I will not be using any IDE ports, as all my drives (including DVD) are SATA.

* I want to use the optical digital output to feed into my amplifier.

I'm pretty sure the SATA and audio will not be a problem because I have read that people have them working.

So my main concerns are

* the onboard LAN ports, do they work for people? (I only seem to read about people using the wifi)

* the onboard firewire, is this board's firewire chipset supported?

And finally sleep/wake. This is my biggest concern. I have a board now (P35-DQ6) that is perfect in every

way APART from sleep and shutdown.

wlfdgcrkz, your post worried me a little. Is it that difficult to get Kalyway running on this board?

I am running Kalyway now and I was hoping to just swap the boards and change a few kexts.

Any other people out there with these boards?

Thanks,

gambcl

cadeucsb, this sounds promising.

Are you using the LAN port? (Your model has no wifi right?)

Are you using the digital sound output or the analogue ports?

And can you confirm sleep/wake/shutdown are working reliably for you?

If so, then I might go for this board, as I don't need the wifi or 2nd LAN ports

of the other models.

Thanks for the info,

gambcl

On my p5k-e and kalyway, i did nothing more than choose: Vanilla, the 1988B Sound Option, the NVinject Desktop for my 7800gtx and GUID.

everything works fine out of the box.

p5k-e wifi/ap:

All working: "audio analogue 2chanel", 2xesata/6xsata, firewire, usb, lan'marvell'

!!!Not working/BAD:IDE pata port "jmicron controller" realtek wifi,!!!

SLEEPS works with nvidia-8600GT not with RADEON HD2600xt/pro

shutdown almost never works.. but gonna try the appleACPIplatform kext 'local buddha' mentioned

Try a RETAIL leopard install if you can, the only kexts you need to replace are, add DSMOS.kext and remove appleIntelCPUpowermanagment.kext,

audio, lan, video need extra kexts, but the rest runs great with retail/vanilla!

PS: since a month, never had a single crash while HD editing/ VMWARE FUSION with 2 or three operating systems running at the same time "ONLY when NOT using IDE PATA PORTS"

on P5K (Not premium, just P5K), onboard LAN not working, and there are no sings that will work in near future.

So, beware of "Attansic L1" network controler

I have to buy additional LAN card (Realtec 8169, which work natively)

Onboard HD audio works only in 2 channel, but microphone not. Not sure about digital out, because i dont have any device to connect to

Sleep & Wakeup works great...

on P5K (Not premium, just P5K), onboard LAN not working, and there are no sings that will work in near future.

So, beware of "Attansic L1" network controler

I have to buy additional LAN card (Realtec 8169, which work natively)

Onboard HD audio works only in 2 channel, but microphone not. Not sure about digital out, because i dont have any device to connect to

Sleep & Wakeup works great...

I have the P5K-VM board http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132097, I installed Kalway 10.5.1. LAN works fine for me out of the box, I am using a Belkin pci wireless card, worked fine first time. I had to install kexts for My 2600XT but it works great. I had more problems with the sound working but in the end i managed find a method, cannot find the link. But I had to use an app to run linux driver code.

Only real issue I have is that I have to have the kalway disc in the drive for it to boot.

Hi walterav,

That is really ironic. I used to have an Nvidia 8600GT and before I installed leopard I had read all over that it wasn't supported, so I sold it and got a ... you guessed it ... Radeon HD 2600XT. How did you get your 8600GT running?

Is it just a kext from somewhere? I haven't kept up with all the Nvidia progress since I got my Radeon.

Does the 8600GT work well for you? Does it support all the resolutions? I want to run in 1920x1080p.

I might switch back to a 8600GT if it is supported now and reduces sleep problems.

Rassha, what graphics card are you using?

Anyone using the digital sound outputs on these boards?

Thanks,

gambcl

p5k-e wifi/ap:

All working: "audio analogue 2chanel", 2xesata/6xsata, firewire, usb, lan'marvell'

!!!Not working/BAD:IDE pata port "jmicron controller" realtek wifi,!!!

SLEEPS works with nvidia-8600GT not with RADEON HD2600xt/pro

shutdown almost never works.. but gonna try the appleACPIplatform kext 'local buddha' mentioned

Try a RETAIL leopard install if you can, the only kexts you need to replace are, add DSMOS.kext and remove appleIntelCPUpowermanagment.kext,

audio, lan, video need extra kexts, but the rest runs great with retail/vanilla!

PS: since a month, never had a single crash while HD editing/ VMWARE FUSION with 2 or three operating systems running at the same time "ONLY when NOT using IDE PATA PORTS"

• 3 weeks later...

I have installed the Kalway 10.5.1, made the comboupdate kalway 10.5.2, installed for my Quadro FX570 nvinject v33, and I have every time the same problem, the shutdown, harddisks off graphics off bat the energy dont go off B)

If you people please can post yours Bios Configurations we can compar e try to find as answer ;)

Many Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I got problem with kelyway leo 10.5.1 , After install it restarts fine . But after few starts and shutdown the system getting unstable . It some time freeze a sky screen then after resetting I unable to boot . when it initializing sata the system restarts at end less loop . startup disk tool says unrepairable error in that partition . All time my hard disk showing as external ( orange icon ) hard disk , during installation also it detects as external hdd . I tryed several time reinstalling it but no result .

But once it boots it is just fine ( but it can corrupt any time during booting )

I request to all , if any body running fine with this motherboard please give me some suggestion how to fix up my problem .

ASUS P5K Premium

core2quad 2.4

4GB 667

180GB HDD SATA

7900GT

Please help

Thanks

Shiladitya

P5k-E

core2duo E6400 2.13ghz @ 3.3ghz

2gb Crucial Ballastix ram, overclocked 667mhz @ 3 3 3 8

10,000 rpm WD raptor (sata)

Asus dvd rw (sata)

Ati xt1950 pro

used kalyway disc, checked the options for sound, and my video card perfect install, everything works, even wifi, sleep, wake, etc. I have the latest bios

well i have a p5k deluxe, i know you said -E or premium, but since it's close i'll give some input. my system will properly sleep most of the time. every once in a while, i'll wake it up and see the screen as i left it, but have no mouse/keyboard reaction at all, maybe no USB since the mouse doesn't light up. So far thats only about 10% of the time, while the rest of the time it sleeps just fine. my brother has the same board and installation, but his does not sleep. i guess the moral here is that nothing is definite. everything else on the board works for both of us.

Kaylway 10.5.2 on the P5K-E

Has anyone tried the new Kalyway 10.5.2 disk, I am trying to download now, but so far only one seed and can't get it going?

I have just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 with the 9.2.2 kernel. All working out of the box but the audio. It used to work on Kalyway 10.5.1 so I just use those kext to get it working with no problem. Jmicron IDE still not working. I used GFX string for my 8800GTS 320 so I didn't install any graphic drivers/patch.

All working great, Xbench gives me a 5-7% better performance than on 10.5.1. My system is a P5K-E WIFI-AP - E6750 @3,2Ghz - 3GB DDR2 1066 - 8800GTS 320 XXX (GFX string)

I will try to install Final Cut Studio 2 now, it was working flawlessly on 10.5.1 so I hope still will do it.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Argentina.

I've just tried installing kalyway 10.5.1 on a P5k-e wifi

I get past the initial installation and then when it reboots I get a 'please restart your computer' splash screen after the first grey background.

When I ran it w/ -v flag the loader runs and then spits out this for 12 lines: jnl: uknown-dev: flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5

my setup is: p5k-e wifi

q6600

4 gb ram

2 ide hard drives( on j-micron controller...is this a no go with this board?)

3ware raid card w/ 1.5tb raid 5

I have ubuntu running on one of the hard drives and wanted to have os x on the slave. Thanks in advance. This is driving me bonkers...

I've just tried installing kalyway 10.5.1 on a P5k-e wifi

I get past the initial installation and then when it reboots I get a 'please restart your computer' splash screen after the first grey background.

When I ran it w/ -v flag the loader runs and then spits out this for 12 lines: jnl: uknown-dev: flushing fs disk buffer returned 0x5

my setup is: p5k-e wifi

q6600

4 gb ram

2 ide hard drives( on j-micron controller...is this a no go with this board?)

3ware raid card w/ 1.5tb raid 5

I have ubuntu running on one of the hard drives and wanted to have os x on the slave. Thanks in advance. This is driving me bonkers...

Here's how I got it working.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=675808

• 2 weeks later...
P5k-E

core2duo E6400 2.13ghz @ 3.3ghz

2gb Crucial Ballastix ram, overclocked 667mhz @ 3 3 3 8

10,000 rpm WD raptor (sata)

Asus dvd rw (sata)

Ati xt1950 pro

used kalyway disc, checked the options for sound, and my video card perfect install, everything works, even wifi, sleep, wake, etc. I have the latest bios

Does your board come out of sleep with the usb keyboard or mouse or do you have to press the power button

To those whose system are working, do you use a SATA DVD or IDE DVD drive? I've tried an IDE DVD drive connected as slave and an IDE Hard Drive as Master, and the DVD drive does not read the DVD disk. I've also tried setting AHCI in Bios, but no go either. Will a SATA DVD drive work better? :)

Yes SATA Drive seems to work the best on this board.. I never tested the IDE Drive... I only have 2 ch sound would love to use the Optical out but I can't get it working. Everything else works great otherwise...

Asus P5k premium

Dual core 3.2ghz

4gb generic ram

Gecube hd3870

Wd 160gb ys sata hd

x-fi extreme music

Pioneer 212 sata dvdrw

liteon ide cdrw

speedtouch adsl 2+

Installed Kalway 10.5.2 with modbin kernal easy enough. First problem no sound then installed ad1988b rev4 driver from taruga and now works. Can't get itunes to play but maybe it isn't setup properly? Vlc player and Dvd player both work fine. When shutting down it tells me to hold down power button or press restart switch which is a pain. Tried to install apple 10.5.2 combo update but it tells me my system does not meet its requirements? Saw a fix in the forums and will try that.

So far the system is fast enough and seems stable. BTW I set bios plugnplay OS to no so mobo controls hardware not Leo.

• 5 weeks later...

skytalker13 - you can try installing a new kernel to your machine with the installer from in the forums (attached file)......look to find one that has sleep or shutdown .. try one out if it doesn't work try a new one....

Can anyone get the IDE/PATA to work on the P5K-E? if so, how?

If the mobo is set to IDE mode in the bios... then it should work, I have used it but only for a dvd rom drive never a HDD. should still work you can try with new Kexts files.... have to look for ones for a Jmicron drivers that's what is in mine but I have a P5K-e Wifi A/P board.