Asus P5K-E and P5K Premium users

gambcl

76 posts in this topic

shutdown works like 1 to 10 times ;)

i never realized because i don't shutdown very often!

any clue?

it's not about jmicron or audio (i tried to boot without them and still no shutdown)

only the cpu is halted but the disks,fans are still on!

besides of that, i wanted to tell u that today i carboned the partition in a velociraptor!

FAST :):D

ok...back to my question please...

• 4 weeks later...
Ok so here is my setup:

Asus P5K-E/Wifi

Q6600

2GB RAM

2x250GB on RAID 0 - SATA

2x160GB on RAID 1 - SATA

1x80GB non-RAID - SATA <- MacOSX

1xDVD-ROM - JMicron AHCI

1xDVD-RW - JMicron AHCI

I had to either have a SATA DVD Rom or use a USB. But recently iDeneb just released a 10.5.4 OSX distro with JMicron IDE support. SO I am able to start the setup from it. However, the only way I can get it to install is by switching SATA mode from RAID to AHCI and disabling my RAID HDD's so that the array doesnt get screwed.

When installed with the 9.4.0 Modbin kernel, video, audio and LAN dont run out of the box.

Goto www.nvinstall.com to get the latest video drivers

I found the lan and audio drivers by googling asus p5k-e lan drivers

I'd like to get soft-raid support so I can have a dual boot system without going through the hassle of switching between RAID and AHCI all the time.

Also time machine and image creator doesnt work on USB HDD for some reason

Hope this helps

I have the sameproblem. A solution for you could be to use an eSATA Harddisk. Booting Kaly on eSATA (or even USB) works fine. But it's annoying to always press F8 for choosing the boot-order which changes once you boot without the eSATA drive powerd on (espacially if you use an USB keyboard and have to wait for its initialization first). I think a PATA drive on the JMicron would work as well, but I havn't tried it yet.

Let us know your progress on this.

• 2 weeks later...

XP1

when you use the Boot 132 cd to screen asking to boot hit the ESC key and it will give you option on what to boot, you can then take out the boot cd and replace it with the retail dvd. At that point wait till the dvd light stops and then you can just hit enter 2 times. it sould then boot from the retail dvd. I use this method to install my system so I knwo it does work on this board. I have a dif vid card and dvd drive as you but the dvd drive you have is SATA and I know that works. You can check the Bios and make sure that SATA mode is set to AHCI and try again.

EnCoDeD

XP1

when you use the Boot 132 cd to screen asking to boot hit the ESC key and it will give you option on what to boot, you can then take out the boot cd and replace it with the retail dvd. At that point wait till the dvd light stops and then you can just hit enter 2 times. it sould then boot from the retail dvd. I use this method to install my system so I knwo it does work on this board. I have a dif vid card and dvd drive as you but the dvd drive you have is SATA and I know that works. You can check the Bios and make sure that SATA mode is set to AHCI and try again.

EnCoDeD

Do I feel stupid!

I was typing "80" and "81" trying to get the bootloader to boot the retail DVD, but I never noticed the default "ef" value that actually boots the DVD.

At first, I had the BIOS mode setting at AHCI and got a whole bunch of these:

EBIOS read error: Error 0x02
Block 970 Sectors 64

Block 970 Sectors 64

Block 970 Sectors 64

I then set the setting back to IDE, and now, the Leopard installer is able to boot!

Thanks, EnCoDeD.

It will show you an ethernet connection, you actualy have to use the Realtek USB WLAN Utility you will find it in the applications dir. Most pf the time it will load it self up on startup and if you add a profile to it , it will connect to that profile when leopard starts up.

It will show you an ethernet connection, you actualy have to use the Realtek USB WLAN Utility you will find it in the applications dir. Most pf the time it will load it self up on startup and if you add a profile to it , it will connect to that profile when leopard starts up.
Ok, I opened the "Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility" and it bounces up and down until it says "Application Not Responding". I did a restart, and it's the same result.

what version are you running of the system? .0, .1, .2, .3, .4, .5? can you get the wired connection working ?
Wired connection works fine. I'm using "Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 9E25 Retail.dmg (MD5: 492a9b56ae43a98bc01f51a0f0e3ba88)".

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'm using Leopard 10.5.6 Retail with P5K Premium Black Pearl.

The system is rock solid but some hardware doesn't work properly.

I used the boot 123 to install and some pkg to install the drivers.

Working: ICH9R Sata channels, Sound, 8800GT 512Mb (CI/QE/Quartz), Card Reader, USB, Firewire, Network (Realtek), Bluetooth (with a cheap external adapter), dvd (sata), c2d and hd's (on ich9r).

Not Working: Jmicron (pata and esata), WiFi and Marvell NIC.

I don't mind about the PATA and WiFi because the drivers are really unstable and I need a stable system to work.

I'm using 3 days already with none grey screen or any 'reboot your computer' problems.

I use Quake 3 to bench and it's not bad at all. About 230 fps in 1024x768 32 bits.

If I use Windows XP fps can be higher of course, but I'm doing well with MacosX.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if boot132-retail method works on the P5K premium only (not the Black pearl)?

How come p5K premium is not in the wiki compatible hardware list?

I haven't been able to do it since I need to swap my IDE DVD drive for a SATA DVD drive.Buy before I do it, It'll be nice if someone answers my question. :angel:

Can anyone confirm if boot132-retail method works on the P5K premium only (not the Black pearl)?

How come p5K premium is not in the wiki compatible hardware list?

I haven't been able to do it since I need to swap my IDE DVD drive for a SATA DVD drive.Buy before I do it, It'll be nice if someone answers my question. :)

I CONFIRM IT :P ! Boot132 works on the P5K Premium!

So far I have no audio, l"ll report back soon...

I CONFIRM IT ;) ! Boot132 works on the P5K Premium!

So far I have no audio, l"ll report back soon...

I hear some audio but it comes and goes...it could be the cable... I'll have to look into that.

After the update and applying packages keyboard stopped working. Anyone know any solutions?

Hey community,

Tweaking things around I reset the BIOS and now my ethernet card is not working under OSX (it does under vista). I think is the ethernet card and not the OS, because I don't see the ethernet input lighting up from the back of the CPU.

Any advise anyone?

P5k Premium

Vista and OSX in different installed in different hard drives!

Hi,

Figured i try a retail install with boot-123 installed 10.5.6, everything works but not LAN, replaced the IONetworkingFamily.kext with the working one from my Timemachine Backup, but it´s not there... only airport and bluetooth.. are there any controllers that need kext to make onboard lan working? :angry:

Bjostein

• 3 weeks later...

I tried connecting my G-Drive using the e-sata port but it's not working. I've read some post about a Jmicron patch 10.4.8 but I no longer can find where to downloaded from. Also it seems that this patch works for hack Leopard versions (iAtkos, Kallaway, etc) But I installed RETAIL!

Anyone has any usefull information to share?

I installed 10.5.6 and updated to 10.5.7 without problems, the system is stable, but i feel that could be faster, i ran xbench and my systems scores are around 140 - 150. Can somebody runs xbench and post the results to compare ?

My System configs:

Q9400

P5K Premium

3x 2gb DDR2 Kingston 800mhz

Samsung 160gb SATA +

Samsung 500gb SATA

XFX 9800gtx+

AOC 416" 24" 1920x1200

• 2 months later...