Remove the Hack.int.0sh boot rom info - KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD

Searay_X

79 posts in this topic

Ok dumb question here. i deactivated adobe and applied new kext, but were do activate it now, what is "new hardware info"

Are you running a hacked version or legit? PM me

Searay

That makes perfect sense. I guess that's a work around. Either re-apply or reinstall CS3.What about longer booting times?

I am thinking (although not confirmed) that the replacement .kext is actually getting variables instead of reading from a predefined string and therefore taking longer to do. So far its all I can come up with but I haven't had time to actually diagnose it fully.

Regards,

Searay

Sorry guys (and gals) - I've been so busy - I just got my computer back online after moving it to the house. I have yet to discover the full cause of the longer boot issue but i am looking into it.I would like to compare the verbose boot messages with both versions of the file to see if there is something obvious.Regards,SearayAddressing many posts in this reply ;)I run photoshop CS3 (and many other apps) fine on all my PC/MAC computers with this patch applied - I need more info on this issue such as logs (including photoshop logs) - whether your running a hacked version or not and if hacked, which method and what is your build number? I also need to find any commons such as when you did the pc_efi patch did you use the package with the additional .kext's and install them all? Are the people with issues on one type of motherboard or particular series? Have you tried downloading and reinstalling the official 10.5.1 update to insure you remove other unknown oddities and then replace/remove only what is needed on your particular machine? More info with this issue and perhaps i can be more helpful - I cant do much without logs other than guess since I am not havening the problems your describing.As far as isolated, I do feel the crashing apps thing is pretty isolated being that only a few have reported it out of the many that have applied the patch so there has to be something in common here causing the problem.Regards,Josh (aka Searay)

Hello Searay, I happen to do a complete leopard re-installation today. Now your version of AppleSMBIOS.kext boots just as fast. I'm really happy with it now. Thanks.

Hello Searay, I happen to do a complete leopard re-installation today. Now your version of AppleSMBIOS.kext boots just as fast. I'm really happy with it now. Thanks.

That is GREAT - I am glad to hear it worked for you...

I am assuming that there once again is an "order of things" as far as installs are concerned.

I am glad to hear that this is working for most people and I will continue my work to try to make this as flawless as possible.

I am going to try to make an add on for a "boot rom" field in an attempt to make bootcamp and parallels work together as intended (not that I need it since at boot time on all my PC's I can "esc" to choose the boot disk which is VERY handy, but once again I am trying to get as closley to a "real" Mac as possible and not everyone has the "esc" option).

Regards,

Josh (aka - Searay)

Hi Searey, Seems like nice work from the comments here.

Would it work on vista / kalyway dual boot, (where kalyway has been formatted as MBR) thanks.

And second question is, where do I find this and what is it for and how does it work? "IOUSBFamily.Kext" thanks.

my configs:

mobo-p5kc,

sata 160gb vista

sata 160gb kalyway

hd2400pro

4 x ram.

yes your theory will gwt ride of the hackintosh thing but then it changes my profiler from saying mac pro to vostro 1500 and everyone knows a vostro 1500 is not a mac computer so its basically the same thing as having it say hackintosh up there. unless is there a way to edit the file inside system profiler so i could manually get ride of hackintosh

Hello...Will this work on a HACK kernel? or only in VANILLA?Thanks

I have only tested this with the vanilla although I cannot see a reason why it wouldn't work otherwise...

yes your theory will gwt ride of the hackintosh thing but then it changes my profiler from saying mac pro to vostro 1500 and everyone knows a vostro 1500 is not a mac computer so its basically the same thing as having it say hackintosh up there. unless is there a way to edit the file inside system profiler so i could manually get ride of hackintosh

Technically you are correct but as stated before, certain software looks for the hackintosh string ad rumor has it soon will the "Software Updater" in OSX. Also, with Apple unofficially entertaining the concept of allowing the release of OSX is why the .kext is advantageous; there is no "blocks" against the thousands of different strings but easy to block 1 or 2...

Meaning that this is a reasonable upgrade IMO as the true report of mb info could be a "future" Mac as far as anyone is concerned so once again to have OSX list the "real" information is much closer to how a "real" Mac operates and therefor more like a "real" Mac even though the reported Mac doesn't exist.

Also, I can edit what the System Profiler reports but to me this is counterproductive in trying to operate like a real Mac instead of emulate one although you can expect me to post instructions on how to edit what the profiler lists in a couple of days for those interested in doing that.

Could we get a list of diffs between this and vanilla/netkas?

Sure but everyone is going to have to bear with me since I have been real busy lately; I am on the road and getting to this when I can.

I recently bought a real 2.6GHz Mac Book Pro 17", 24" iMac and a 13" Mac Book (we switched from to PC to Mac recently so we needed them) so I can now make some better comparisons and generate better info and gather better data.

Regards,

Searay

thank you very much for taking your time to help me....i tried that kext but it slowed to startup so i replaced it with the original i am looking forward to your guide on how do change things in system profiler so i can manually remove hackint0sh and change the name of my computer to mac pro to macbook pro,2,2

No luck for me here.

I have 10.5.1 Kalyway and I used mtotho's guide to do the GUID install and also followed the links for getting the 2600HD Pro working.

When I tried, I get the grey apple screen with the busy circle and on top of that a white square with a circle and line going through it telling me things aren't happy.

I made sure I changed permissions per the thread, but I will re-read again to make sure I haven't missed anything....

I have a volume licence of CS3 master collection installed and I don't have the deactivate option in the help menu. I reverted to the Netkas SMBIOS, uninstalled CS3, upgraded to the Searay SMBIOS, installed CS3, and it still doesn't work. Interestingly it does work if I go back to the Netkas SMBIOS, even w/o reinstalling CS3. Any ideas? I really don't want to reinstall leopard from scratch.

Edit: Perhaps there are some files that the CS3 installer leave behind after an uninstall? Does anybody know?

Searay_X, The link for AppleSMBIOS you've provided is not a zip file as indicated and as a raw file downloaded with Safari can cause problems.

If you downloaded the kext using Safari, it has added an extended attribute to the file that will prevent the system from using it. This is new to 10.5 and is obviously an extended security measure. You can easily check this because there is an "@" symbol at the end of the permissions block on an ls : e.g., "drwxr-xr-x@ 10 root wheel 340 2 Nov 14:47 Contents"

The people who got this to work probably downloaded using Firefox.

You can see if there are extended attributes on a file using xattr. Here's a snippet:

bash-3.2# xattr /path/to/AppleSMBIOS.kext/

com.apple.quarantine <=== not going to work with this!

To fix this, run:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /path/to/AppleSMBIOS.kext

This has caused problems for me in the past with other kext files that were not put in a zip or similar container before being downloaded with Safari.

Heads up.

So can you guys make the boot rom whatever you please? If so, would someone please make a kext with a boot rom that will work with bootcamp?

Nothing will work with bootcamp. Since you don't have a physical EFI. However if you install Vista with GUID, Fusion will be able to boot it.

• 2 weeks later...
anyone try this with 10.5.2?

I've tried and it didn't work!!

Now I have a message when I start my mac that says my apple Smbios is not correctly installed.

When I copy the original appleSMBIOS, the one I backup it's the same problem.

Now my About this mac doesn't says properly information about my computer.

It's any problem with the message and my aplications

Help!!!

Hello Searay_X

Thank you one thousand time. I just follow the instructions and using kexthelp 7 for install your kext, now my HP ZD7000 was detected HW, no more HackInOsh, sleep and wake-up, reboot and

shut down work like real Mac. Thank you again.

For simplicity and sake of time I am going to assume that you have installed 10.5.1, have it working (or mostly working) with pc_efi and vanilla kernel.

My intention is to answer the frustrating question as to how to get rid of the boot rom showing up as a Hackintosh (verified with Geekbench)I have 2 pretty flawless installs of 0sx10.5.1; one using ToH and installing pc-efi v8, upgrading to 10.5.1 via update and correcting a few kext's.

The other is a P5WDH Deluxe (which so far has been the most flawless install I personnaly have had) which was installed from the KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD using GUID partition.The solution is so simple I couldn't believe it – all I did (after hours of comparing files) is replace the AppleSMBIOS.kext with the one attached – now I have a "real Mac" (or as close to without purchasing one).

Please backup your installed AppleSMBIOS.kext before you replace it in case this isn't a "fix all" for everyone.

As a somewhat related note, I replaced a few other .kext's to get other minor things working –I hope this helps – I have seen this question a lot with no answer (that I could find) so I am happy to share it.

Oh – by the way – on both my installs another kext you need to replace (especially from the KALYWAY is th IOUSBFamily.Kext)

I got the one for my P5WDH from the pc_efi package and it fixed the 5 second thing at boot with external drives.

Regards,

Searay

oh - I forgot to add that i also have one more version so if this one doe not work (it should) - let me know and i will post it as well. i just wanted to avoid confusion in not posting two unless its really needed.

Regards,

Searay

NOTE: DONT FORGET...

I failed to mention that you need to insure the permissions are set correctly.in terminal;

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

Otherwise you will get errors...

Searay_X thanks for this trick it worked however it broke the sleep and wake up on my PC. I switched back to my old AppleSMBIOS.kext for now, sleep and wake up works again. Can you help?

Anybody else having this problem?

I've tried and it didn't work!!Now I have a message when I start my mac that says my apple Smbios is not correctly installed.When I copy the original appleSMBIOS, the one I backup it's the same problem.Now my About this mac doesn't says properly information about my computer.It's any problem with the message and my aplicationsHelp!!!

from Searay_X "NOTE: DONT FORGET... I failed to mention that you need to insure the permissions are set correctly.in terminal;sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kextsudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kextOtherwise you will get errors..."

anyone try this with 10.5.2?

Works, do not use terminal to do copy. Do copy paste of kext on finder.