Remove the Hack.int.0sh boot rom info - KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD

Searay_X

79 posts in this topic

For simplicity and sake of time I am going to assume that you have installed 10.5.1, have it working (or mostly working) with pc_efi and vanilla kernel.

My intention is to answer the frustrating question as to how to get rid of the boot rom showing up as a Hackintosh (verified with Geekbench)I have 2 pretty flawless installs of 0sx10.5.1; one using ToH and installing pc-efi v8, upgrading to 10.5.1 via update and correcting a few kext’s.

The other is a P5WDH Deluxe (which so far has been the most flawless install I personnaly have had) which was installed from the KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD using GUID partition.The solution is so simple I couldn’t believe it – all I did (after hours of comparing files) is replace the AppleSMBIOS.kext with the one attached – now I have a “real Mac” (or as close to without purchasing one).

Please backup your installed AppleSMBIOS.kext before you replace it in case this isn't a “fix all” for everyone.

As a somewhat related note, I replaced a few other .kext’s to get other minor things working –I hope this helps – I have seen this question a lot with no answer (that I could find) so I am happy to share it.

Oh – by the way – on both my installs another kext you need to replace (especially from the KALYWAY is th IOUSBFamily.Kext)

I got the one for my P5WDH from the pc_efi package and it fixed the 5 second thing at boot with external drives.

Regards,

Searay

oh - I forgot to add that i also have one more version so if this one doe not work (it should) - let me know and i will post it as well. i just wanted to avoid confusion in not posting two unless its really needed.

Regards,

Searay

NOTE: DONT FORGET...

I failed to mention that you need to insure the permissions are set correctly.in terminal;

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

Otherwise you will get errors...

UPDATE: CHECK OUT MY LAST POST ON PAGE 3 at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=684660 for updated info and info on 10.5.2

AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip

HOLY {censored} I USED THIS AND MY COMPUTER STARTED SMOKING AHHHHHH!!!!!!

jk it works.. although i think there is a way to just edit the system profiler without replacing kexts.

HOLY {censored} I USED THIS AND MY COMPUTER STARTED SMOKING AHHHHHH!!!!!!

jk it works.. although i think there is a way to just edit the system profiler without replacing kexts.

You're probably right but i tried for hours with no luck - geekbench still showed Hackintosh - this approach appears to be the only way I know to fix it currently --

I am glad to hear its working for people.

Regards,

Josh

What do you mean by "being reported"? can a hackintosh be reported to apple or such?.

I don't mean report as in it physically "reports on you" - As far as i know Apple doesn't get "notified" but some software has issues I have found if in system profiler your machine comes up as a Hackintosh.

The real point is to try to build/install a true Mac as closely as possible and having the profiler state Hack.int.0sh simply bugged me so this is mostly a preference issue but does have other benefits.

Like I said - I had issues with some software installing/running properly when my System Profiler/geekbench reported (read) Hack.int.0sh like you can see here; http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/35597 - (Not mine, just looked at the site for a Hackintosh)

Take my laptop for example - here is a shot of the system profiler tab and geekbench after the fix.

Picture1.jpg

Picture3.jpg

So all things being equal, i now have a "Real" Mac - as far as OSX is concerned...

Regards,

Josh

Just for fun, here are the shots from my P5WDH - Like i said - everything works on this motherboard - it runs better than my real Mac - LOL

p51.jpg

p52.jpg

p53.jpg

I am overclocked a little; I can push it more - in fact I think i will later tonight - LOL

Regards,

Josh

can you post the other kext. the first kext you upload worked partially on mines. but i get message, when the sytem is powered on for the first time, there is a info that the kext does not work properly:"System extension cannot be used"The system extesion "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.I put back my backup "AppleSMBIOS.kext and after a reboot, I still get the same thing oh and yeah, "hackintosh" is gone but like I said, the popup comes up after first time power up.thanks

NOTE:

I was able to remove the pop up by repairing disk permissions.

So everything is all good

can you post the other kext. the first kext you upload worked partially on mines. but i get message, when the sytem is powered on for the first time, there is a info that the kext does not work properly:"System extension cannot be used"The system extesion "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.I put back my backup "AppleSMBIOS.kext and after a reboot, I still get the same thing oh and yeah, "hackintosh" is gone but like I said, the popup comes up after first time power up.thanksNOTE:I was able to remove the pop up by repairing disk permissions.So everything is all good
I failed to mention that you need to insure the permissions are set correctly.in terminal;sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kextsudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext
Every time I click on About This Mac, my Leopard just logs me off for some odd reason :thumbsup_anim: I've got Kalway 10.5.1 installed
Sounds like an issue with the loginwindow.app or a permissions issue - have you tried a repair?

I failed to mention that you need to insure the permissions are set correctly.in terminal;sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kextsudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kextSounds like an issue with the loginwindow.app or a permissions issue - have you tried a repair?

Tried a repair but still nothing.

Tried a repair but still nothing.

I am going to see if I can recreate what is happening and i will get back to you sometime today.

I have a few ideas but I don't want to go there unless i am pretty certain ;)

Regards,

Josh

Every time I click on About This Mac, my Leopard just logs me off for some odd reason ;)

I've got Kalway 10.5.1 installed

Mine does this too, only i am using iATKOS - personally it doesn't bother me.

And thanks for the detailed reply Searay :)

Jamie.

Mine does this too, only i am using iATKOS - personally it doesn't bother me.And thanks for the detailed reply Searay :hysterical: Jamie.

No problem --- I do think i have a solution for the logoff issue - I am working on it (even if it doesnt bother you) I am trying to help (as stated before) build a "real" Mac so that behavior should not exist.

I do think I know the problem but I need to do some checking to make certain.

Could anyone having the logoff issue try to start the system profiler directly (instead of through finder/about this mac) and see if it logs you off - this will help me diagnose the issue.Let me know what happens...

Thanks,

Searay ;)

UPDATE:

Ok - the logoff i believe has something to do with loginwindow.app and possibly another .kext

Could someone having the issue give the version (actually complete info - size, date, version and so on) for their loginwindow.app (located in /System/Library/CoreServices/) so I can compare it. Also if I could get a copy of the system log (preferably a fresh one) with this logoff event I could better find the issue).

"About This Mac" is contained within loginwindow.app so i am sure there is a simple fix - perhaps just a simple edit...

Maybe someone can send me a copy of their loginwindow.app that is having the logoff issue...

This appears to be a VERY isolated issue with very few people so any additional info will help.

Also, additional info like if your using iATKOS is helpful since i have only tested this fix on the Kalway installed version and the official upgrade from 10.4.9.

Regards,

Josh (Searay)

No problem --- I do think i have a solution for the logoff issue - I am working on it (even if it doesnt bother you) I am trying to help (as stated before) build a "real" Mac so that behavior should not exist.

I do think I know the problem but I need to do some checking to make certain.

Could anyone having the logoff issue try to start the system profiler directly (instead of through finder/about this mac) and see if it logs you off - this will help me diagnose the issue.Let me know what happens...

Thanks,

Searay ;)

Going to the profiler directly doesn't log me off and works fine :)

See the above reply - you and i posted at the same time - LOL

Josh

Haha, i never noticed i dident think i read & reply that quick!

I have uploaded my loginwindow which you can download:http://rapidshare.com/files/87323256/loginwindow.zip (this should automatically start as i set it as a direct link)

Version 5.1

I'm not to sure how or where to get a system log, if you can tell me i'll post it asap :)

Edit: forgot i could attach it here.. i have done that now aswell

loginwindow.zip

Haha, i never noticed i dident think i read & reply that quick!

I have uploaded my loginwindow which you can download:http://rapidshare.com/files/87323256/loginwindow.zip (this should automatically start as i set it as a direct link)

Version 5.1

I'm not to sure how or where to get a system log, if you can tell me i'll post it asap :(

Edit: forgot i could attach it here.. i have done that now aswell

I see immediate differences - we both have the same version but mine is 1.4mb instead of about 1mb.

What you can try is i can post mine and you can back yours up, install mine, repair permissions and if it doesnt work you can simply restore your original.

Here are the instructions;

1. Take the attached loginwindow.app.zip and extract it to your / (the root of your mac drive).

2. Reboot in single user mode by using the F8 to enter options and then use -s under boot options

3. at the prompt (ater everything loads) type sh

4. type /sbin/mount -wu /

5. type cd /System/Library/CoreServices/

6. type mv loginwindow.app loginwindow.app.orig

6. type mv /loginwindow.app /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

7. type chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

8. type chmod -R 755 /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

then type exit and then reboot (or maybe just reboot - i cant remember)

Then when you go to reboot again do th f8 thing so you can enter options and for the heck of it use the following

-f -v

And see if all is well; if not just reverse the process by deleting then new one and renaming your original back from loginwindow.app.orig to loginwindow.app

NOTE: After reboot you might also rechck permissions by running repair permissions.

loginwindow.app.zip

To get logs you can do 1 of 2 things;

1. you can go in terminal (or through finder's "go to folder") go to /var/log/ and your system log is system.log

or

2. you can go to utilities and click the Console.app and it will show you all the logs

Another interesting thing you can do is go into terminal and type;

tail -f /var/log/system.log and it will show in real time the events similar to the Console.app but less confusing - maybe it would stay open during the logoff issue or at least stay long enough to see the event.

You can tail -f other logs as well - it's kind of fun to see whats going on...

Here is one more cool file that if you use you can show/hide system and hidden files/folders in the GUI with one click - see attached.

Show__61478_Hide_Files.app.zip

Hi Searay, I have iatkos/efi v8 running.

In system profiler I have: mac pro / geekbench: hackintosh

now, with your kext I got under system profiler: p35-ds3l / geekbench: p35-ds3l

just wanted to share.

(iatkos r2, guid, efi v8 | ga-935-ds3l / 4gb / q6600 / 8800gts 320mb)

Hi Searay, I have iatkos/efi v8 running.

In system profiler I have: mac pro / geekbench: hackintosh

now, with your kext I got under system profiler: p35-ds3l / geekbench: p35-ds3l

just wanted to share.

(iatkos r2, guid, efi v8 | ga-935-ds3l / 4gb / q6600 / 8800gts 320mb)

Thats awesome - I am glad to hear it worked on the IATKOS version as well.

Regards,

Searay

Ok, using Kalyway's 10.5.1, I get this...not sure why it says "System Product Name". Any ideas?

Yeah - its a simple edit. Usually info is caught during install / boot if a device is identified correctly but in the case of replacing files sometimes things can get jumbled.

Basically loginwindow.app and system profiler read stings and if the string is missing or alternate data is there it will display incorrectly. You could also be missing a .kext or other file that provides info to populate the string variable data.

I forgot where the string is (I have it on my notes somewhere) but I will look it up and get back to you on how to fix that. I recall it being pretty easy.

Regards,

Josh

Yeah - its a simple edit. Usually info is caught during install / boot if a device is identified correctly but in the case of replacing files sometimes things can get jumbled.

Basically loginwindow.app and system profiler read stings and if the string is missing or alternate data is there it will display incorrectly. You could also be missing a .kext or other file that provides info to populate the string variable data.

I forgot where the string is (I have it on my notes somewhere) but I will look it up and get back to you on how to fix that. I recall it being pretty easy.

Regards,

Josh

Sounds good!

Just a thought...with ths edit, would I be able to change this to display anything I want?

Also, what .kext file or other file could I possibly be missing that is not displaying the info correctly?

Sounds good!

Just a thought...with ths edit, would I be able to change this to display anything I want?

Also, what .kext file or other file could I possibly be missing that is not displaying the info correctly?

Technically yes however I got real busy today with a bunch of "real work" - lol...

I will look into it tonight -- I tweak so many things that I can’t remember where everything is - but once I dig it will come back to me.

Regards,

Josh (aka Searay)