[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

weird my onli issues with audio on my first install was the fact that it wasent loading but after i change the permisions and clear the cache then boot with chameleon option to ignore the cache everything was ok for me even now with 10.6.2 is still got no issues except the damn lack of reboot/shutdown and speestep wich i miss the most since this laptop is well know for becoming hot :( il prob try get the dsdt files from a linux live and then try to patch them, just to be able to use the damn speedstep but as allways information about this is so spread away in so many pieces and sometimes not so clear this is why i didn't rush into the dsdt.

What laptop and what specs? My DSDT is pretty generic (ie no specific CPU PSS entries) so will work with any M1530 that has the 8600M GT 256. It will give sleep, speedstep, usb, and QE graphics. No shutdown or restart though. My M1530 sits at about 39*C and 800MHz at most times. So if needs be you can use that, but if you have a M1330, that is a different story.

Brett

I've update Leo to SL 10.6.0, but when my M1330 booted only desktop image displayed, i can't see login dialog - only mouse cursor. SL seems to work, but I can't login directly or through network. Maybe finger print sensor does not work and it block login window?

How can I fix the problem?

Could anybody upload to me archive with kernel, S/L/E and Extra/E from WORKED M1330 with SL 10.6.0 (or newer). It will be very helpfull! :)

Thanks.

PS. My hardware is:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a00] (rev 0c)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port [8086:2a01] (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:2834] (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 [8086:2835] (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 [8086:283a] (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:284b] (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:283f] (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:2841] (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 [8086:2845] (rev 02)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 [8086:2849] (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:2830] (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:2831] (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:2832] (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 [8086:2836] (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller [8086:2815] (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller [8086:2850] (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2829] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:283e] (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400M GS [10de:0427] (rev a1)
03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394) [0c00]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller [1180:0832] (rev 05)
03:01.1 SD Host controller [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter [1180:0822] (rev 22)
03:01.2 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller [1180:0843] (rev 12)
03:01.3 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter [1180:0592] (rev 12)
03:01.4 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller [1180:0852] (rev 12)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1713] (rev 02)
0c:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)

Update as to where I am.

I installed 10.6.0 (I think - see below) using Superhai's 0.4 boot CD. I used the following kexts from there (all in /Extra/Extensions):

AppleACPIPS2Nub

ApplePS2Controller

fakesmc

IOATAFamily (removed from S/L/E)

NullCPUPowerManagement

VoodooBattery

VoodooHDA

VoodooTSCSync

In /Extra I have com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist from the same CD, and my own DSDT.aml.

What works:

Dual boot with W7

Shut down (but not restart)

Update - I updated to 10.6.1 with no (further) issues.

USB works on both sides.

Most normal stuff.

What doesn't work:

Sound, although i have an error at boot (see below).

Keyboard - I have a UK keyboard, but the Home, Page Down, Page Up and End keys don't work as expected. Also the " and @ are reversed, as are some other keys. If I try to use the Change Keyboard Type wizard under System Preferences -> Keyboard, it won't recognise my keyboard.

I have created a DSDT.aml file, but I still have no speedstep (CoolBook won't read anything). I may have made a mistake there, so I'm going to redo it.

Restart doesn't work (shutdown does). Using -v shows the last command as Mach reboot, and then nothing further happens. Hard shutdown is then required.

LAN and WAN won't work due to hardware. I'm currently using a D-Link DWA-140 that I got working using this link:

http://aupong.hk/?q=usb_wireless_adapter_mac

Sound error:

I get the following errors during boot:

kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodoHDA - library kexr com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily not found.

Can't load kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA - failed to resolve library dependancies.

kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodoHDA failed to load (0xdc00800e).

Failed to load kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodoHDA (error 0xdc00800e).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Next steps

Redo DSDT.aml

Investigate missing sound.

did you try put the voodoohda in the /S/L/E ? for me it never work from /E/E until i move it there

OK, moving VoodooHDA to S/L/E removes the errors during boot, but there is still no sound. I havn't checked with earphones as I don't have any with me.

However, looking in System Options -> Sound shows no sound devices detected under Output.

For that one you have to buy a Dell wireless card off of EBay. Should be able to get it for $30. Intel ones don't work, but the Dell ones work perfect out of the box (they are Broadcom based, the same as real Macs).

Something like this?

Oops, I broke it. :unsure:

I changed the com.apple.Boot.plist Kernel Flags from:

<string>arch=x86_64 DropSSDT=Y</string>

to

<string>arch=i386 DropSSDT=Y</string>

Now the screen goes white instead of showing Aqua, and then switches off after a couple of seconds.

Trying to boot with Superhai's v0.4 CD gives a KP related to VoodooHDA.

I then tried with -v -s, and could nano to the file, but I can't update it because it's on a read only drive.

Any ideas how to change the com.apple.Boot.plist back?

Thanks

OK, moving VoodooHDA to S/L/E removes the errors during boot, but there is still no sound. I haven't checked with earphones as I don't have any with me.

However, looking in System Options -> Sound shows no sound devices detected under Output.

Something like this?

I have exactly the same problem, used superhai v5 CD and intalled SL retail version from Apple store . Used Chameleon 2 RC3 to boot from HD. Copied V5 CD E/E , smbios and apple.com plist to /E. Moved VoodooHDA.kext fro E/E to /S/L/E using kexthelper as per testor's post.

No dsdt.aml

Sound works but only on headphones, shows "complex audio" and "digital" in sound preferencesTried booting in 32 and 64 bit mode but same results. Tried another (later) VoodooHDA.kext, this gave 3 choices, speakers, line out or digital. again no sound from speakers. Tried removing/ restoring AppleHDA.kext - same result - makes no difference. Repaired permissions, cleared cache after each mod.

"About this Mac" shows - no audio, M1330 XPS, Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb vram - so assume video OK.

Boots OK from HDD, Usb works, webcam works,battery icon works, wifi OK, shutdown/ restart don't work - need to hold power button for a few secs, not sure about speedstep, but no info in taskbar (there is in Leopard 10.6.5 on a similar machine), Used OSX86 Tools to enable Quartz - assume that is OK. All apps work fine. If I could sort out the sound/speaker issue it would be a great system

Oops, I broke it. ;)

to

Now the screen goes white instead of showing Aqua, and then switches off after a couple of seconds.

Trying to boot with Superhai's v0.4 CD gives a KP related to VoodooHDA.

I then tried with -v -s, and could nano to the file, but I can't update it because it's on a read only drive.

Any ideas how to change the com.apple.Boot.plist back?

Thanks

Try deleting AppleHDA.kext and the kext caches in single user mode. It should work find in 32 bit mode. I use the same boot flags and it works fine. Crashes at VoodooHDA.kext are often caused by conflicts with AppleHDA.kext

Oops, I broke it. :thumbsup_anim:

to

boot using -s

once the promt comes up, type "/sbin/mount -uw /"

you should have write permission

otherwise

boot with the install dvd and open a terminal from utility

type cd /Volumes/<yourmacpartitionname> and find and edit your file.

btw, what is your machine spec? cpu and graphics specially?? Wondering how you got shutdown working...??

boot using -s

otherwise

btw, what is your machine spec? cpu and graphics specially?? Wondering how you got shutdown working...??

Just for information when I first tried to install SL on my dell XPS M1530, Superhai's cd were not working so I removed SSDT or something like that and shutdown was working.

However since I am a noob and graphic resolution was not good I enabled SSDT again just to fix it so now I have to press Power Button for a few secs to shutdown.

Fortunately I have a SSD hard drive so I cannot hear the ugly noise of a mechanical drive.

guys i just bought a inspiron 1520 with nvidia NB8p-GS 8600m gt 256MB

anyways i noticed bios A09 added VT switch. default is off!!

i wonder if A08 had VT OFF and hidden?. i am on A08 testing shutdown as i think it worked on 10.5.6 not 10.5.8 (must be an nvidia update?) or the fans at full blast on A09 to keep chip cooler.? its in A08 in post behavior.

Hello everybody.

Sorry, but I didn't find your latest release of the image file,what I have to load before installing Snow Leopard on my M1330.

Can you please give me the download link to it? (I think the latest is v0.4 or v0.5,isn't it?)

Thanks for this great contribution all. Really. :pirate2:

boot using -s

otherwise

Thanks for that, but I've reinstalled now as I wanted a clean install anyway. This time I have no DSDT.aml in /E and that has made no difference.

XPS M1330, Core 2 Duo T8100, Intel GMA X3100 onboard graphics (i.e. no Nvidia), 13.3" WXGA screen, BIOS A15. Umm, anything else?

XPS M1330, Core 2 Duo T8100, Intel GMA X3100 onboard graphics (i.e. no Nvidia), 13.3" WXGA screen, BIOS A15. Umm, anything else?

aahhh.. onboard graphics... should have thought of that.... I always think nvidia.... thanks for letting me know...

DSDT is not necessary in the xps unless you want it to inject certain things like the Nvidia card info, usb fixes, ioata fixes in SL, sleep and clamshell and audio without mods or extra kexts for these and some other cosmetic things... I lived without DSDT for a while until I decided to reduce the number of kexts I was using... and keep the /S/L/E completely vanilla...

Has anyone been able to get two finger scroll to work with Snow on the XPS m1330? If you did get it to work what kext's did you use? Did you put them in the EFI partition or in S/L/E? Also what prefpane did you use or did you re-enable the default.

My current setup is vanilla snow leopard install with chameleon boot loader and Win7 dual boot. The only things not working at this point are shutdown/restart, Broadcom NIC, two finger scroll and tap clicks. Everything else is working like a champ.

Same as Balmond here. Everything is working but shutdown/restart/sleep ( I didn't try to fix that yet ) and two finger scroll, I tried to install the VoodooPs2controller.pkg but i had an error and the ffscroll prefpane doesn't worked on snow leopard too.

Same as Balmond here. Everything is working but shutdown/restart/sleep ( I didn't try to fix that yet ) and two finger scroll, I tried to install the VoodooPs2controller.pkg but i had an error and the ffscroll prefpane doesn't worked on snow leopard too.

Did you get sound (speakers) working, if so what kexts have you used for audio, did you use DSDT?

I have audio but only lineout/headphones, qe/ci/, wifi, bluetooth, sd card, firewire - no shutdown/restart/sleep

M1330 t7250 2ghz, nvidia 8400, sigmatel 9228

Did you get sound (speakers) working, if so what kexts have you used for audio, did you use DSDT?

I have audio but only lineout/headphones, qe/ci/, wifi, bluetooth, sd card, firewire - no shutdown/restart/sleep

M1330 t7250 2ghz, nvidia 8400, sigmatel 9228

Yes my speakers are working, the internal mic and left lineout too. I installed the VoodooHDA.kext with kext helper and it worked. I have the same sound card as you so it should work. I don't think I'm using a DSDT.

For my installation i only installed SL with the OSinstall.mpkg thing and i copied the Extra folder from superai iso on the SL partition.

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Yes my speakers are working, the internal mic and left lineout too. I installed the VoodooHDA.kext with kext helper and it worked. I have the same sound card as you so it should work. I don't think I'm using a DSDT.

For my installation i only installed SL with the OSinstall.mpkg thing and i copied the Extra folder from superai iso on the SL partition.

Thanks for information, I did a clean re-install using OSinstall.mpkg and copied the /Extra folder from superhai V5 iso.

Loaded your VoodooHDA.kext with kexthelper. no dsdt. Re-booted and same result, then used dsdtpatcher to make dsdt.aml - made no difference. Still only sound on front jacks (and bluetooth)

Is your M1330 the same cpu ? T7250 C2D 2ghz speedstep etc enabled as per defaults. Bios A15

Have used Leopard 10.5.5 on previous install and sound (spkrs) works fine

Thanks for information, I did a clean re-install using OSinstall.mpkg and copied the /Extra folder from superhai V5 iso.

Loaded your VoodooHDA.kext with kexthelper. no dsdt. Re-booted and same result, then used dsdtpatcher to make dsdt.aml - made no difference. Still only sound on front jacks (and bluetooth)

Is your M1330 the same cpu ? T7250 C2D 2ghz speedstep etc enabled as per defaults. Bios A15

Have used Leopard 10.5.5 on previous install and sound (spkrs) works fine

Did you put the voodooHDA in your S/L/E? Sound didn't work for me until put the voodooHDA in /S/L/E not in the EFI.

Did you put the voodooHDA in your S/L/E? Sound didn't work for me until put the voodooHDA in /S/L/E not in the EFI.

Yes, VoodooHDA is in /S/L/E , also deleted AppleHDA, Pref pane shows "complex output" and Digital Out (black HDMI).

System profiler shows "no built in audio ". Have looked at various forums and tried various versions of VoodooHDA.kext with same result, ie sound on front jacks but no spkrs.

Followed smartmobili link to bcc9, but info refers to xps 1340, tried kexts etc from there, but still no sound.