[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

hi

can some one please help

xps M1330

Win 7

T7500 2.20GHZ

4GB Ram

I am using DellSnow v5 loader I have downloaded Sl 10.6 dmg file change the file extension to iso and burnt to dvd

Reboot pc with DellSnow change cd to SL and after 1min press F5 and this is where the problem starts I get a pic of a HardDrive and not the SL DVD I can't select the drive I can only shut down my PC

I have looked and Goggled this and can't find an answer

v5 doesn't work on all M1330s, I had a problem as well. Use v4.

Hi all

I've got OS-X installed but I can't seem to work out how to get Chameleon to work.

I've partitioned the drive, and installed W7 first then OS-X after. This works fine. I can boot into W7 normally, and use the boot disc to boot in to OS-X.

Next I tried to install Chameleon. Using Disk Utility I can see that W7 is on disk0s2 and OS-X is on disk0s3.

I copied the boot0, boot1h, boot and fdisk files to the Documents directory. I then opened a Terminal session. Here is the output.

Alex-MacBook-Pro:~ alex$ cd Documents

Alex-MacBook-Pro:Documents alex$ ls -l

total 1640

-rw------- 1 alex staff 466028 28 Oct 09:07 About Stacks.pdf

drwxr-xr-x 3 alex staff 102 1 Aug 06:56 IOATAFamily.kext

-rw-r--r--@ 1 alex staff 377 30 Oct 08:32 UUDIs.rtf

-rw-r--r--@ 1 alex staff 309344 6 Sep 13:04 boot

-rw-r--r--@ 1 alex staff 512 6 Sep 13:04 boot0

-rw-r--r--@ 1 alex staff 1024 6 Sep 13:04 boot1h

-rw-r--r--@ 1 alex staff 759 30 Oct 07:54 df output.rtf

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 alex staff 41752 9 Jun 2008 fdisk

Alex--MacBook-Pro:Documents alex$ sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Password:

2009-10-30 11:57:27.592 sudo[131:903] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Alex-MacBook-Pro:Documents alex$ sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

Alex-MacBook-Pro:Documents alex$ sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3

2+0 records in

2+0 records out

1024 bytes transferred in 0.000476 secs (2151787 bytes/sec)

Alex-MacBook-Pro:Documents alex$ sudo cp boot /

Alex-MacBook-Pro:Documents alex$

However, when I restart, Windows fails to load and I have to repair the installation. The screen says:

Windows failed to start. <blah blah blah>

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

-----------------

After repairing the install, everything continues to work as before.

Any help appreciated.

Sorry for a extremely basic noob question. But having scanned and read bits and pieces is it correct that Shudown and Restart don't work on SL on XPS M1530? If so, how are you guys shutting the laptop down? Holding the Power Button down? I wanted to to try a triple boot with XP, Ubuntu 9.10 and SL 10.6.1 but if it doesn't shutdown then that's a huge issue isnt it? TIA

i hit the shutdown button from software and when the screen goes black i just press the hardware button until it goes off :D

Ok, Thanks for that. I have a 500GB drive currently that I just loaded XP and Ubuntu 9.10 and don't want to take a chance with SL and holding power button down. I'll have to find a smaller drive to test it out with. Thanks again!

Sounds to me like your XP install failed. HAL.dll is Hardware Abstraction Layer library, nothing will run without it, so your installation can't have completed properly.

I'd rerun the install, and format the partition again during the Windows install.

Hi sparrowdclxvi,

thanks for your replay. I think there is a problem with the GUID Partition Table. Normally XP needs a MBR. I tried installing Windows XP three times (always formating the harddisk with ntfs from the windwos setup), but always the same problem.

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll

please re-install a copy of the above file."

After that, I changed the partition in my boot.ini from (2) to (1). Surprisingly the boot screen from Windows XP appeared for a few seconds, but after this the system crashed with a blue screen, error:

unmountable_boot_volume

Does anyone has another idea?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael

Hi all

I've got OS-X installed but I can't seem to work out how to get Chameleon to work.

I believe what you have to do is repeat the boot0 step (as the Windows repair wipes this out), and mark your OS-X partition as active (sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0, then use the flag command.) Don't worry about the windows having to repair thing. That'll happen.

still no luck

have converted .DMG to .img and burnt with nero but after booting with SnowDell v4 and V5 i still get a hard drive image and not the snow DVD

and someone please tell me where I'm going wrong

thanks

If you currently have Leopard... then try the USB install method... its quick and easy.

Hi sparrowdclxvi,

thanks for your replay. I think there is a problem with the GUID Partition Table. Normally XP needs a MBR. I tried installing Windows XP three times (always formating the harddisk with ntfs from the windwos setup), but always the same problem.

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll

please re-install a copy of the above file."

After that, I changed the partition in my boot.ini from (2) to (1). Surprisingly the boot screen from Windows XP appeared for a few seconds, but after this the system crashed with a blue screen, error:

unmountable_boot_volume

Does anyone has another idea?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael

XP was hard for me to setup with Leopard. Search for Dual Boot XP Leopard on google. Basically you're installing XP first, then creating a partition with diskpart so that Leoaprd can install... The article goes into details and you can use the same method for XP & SL.

If anyone is still unaware, the 2 Finger Scroll is now operational on XPS M1530 under the Snow Leopard (10.6.1) by a way of the modified (VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext) VoodooPS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext.

While I am unsure as to who exactly achieved this fix, I am willing to share it with the community if anyone is interested.

Hi,

I have been trying to make my trackpad work the right way from a long time now. When I installed voodoops2controller ( Installer package ) I got kernel panics and I had to reinstall my SL because I didnt know how to fix it without that. Could you please help me solving this trackpad issue ( 2 finger scrolling. side scrolling ) Thank You so much

Yes, I have sleep working.

1. Do not use DSDT for other computers than your own brand and model.
  2. I do not recommend using DSDT patcher, but if you don´t know better I guess you have no choice. It does however make some assumptions which may not apply to your models DSDT and therefore fail.
  3. NullCPUPowerManagement blocks AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and needs to be removed. However you need working HPET(s).
  4. Removing IOATAFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions will cause problems for you sooner or later. As well as any removal of "vanilla" components.
  5. If you want speedstepping working using "ACPI_SMC" plugin, you will have to remove VoodooPower as they both will try to control speedstepping at the same time.

For all with XPS M1330 with same config as mine, here is the DSDT I currently use -> dsdt.aml.zip

I might post about the differences that I made to it at a later time. There are no p-state tables in it.

HI,, Sorry But

what is working HPET, I am trying to learn, this is all new to me, I have XPS1330 and working snow leopard on it

THanks

HI,, Sorry But

what is working HPET, I am trying to learn, this is all new to me, I have XPS1330 and working snow leopard on it

THanks

You need to take a couple of days off and use google search and read about it, also read this entire thread and a few other threads on this board. There is very much information you need to know to understand this.

Booted from Superhai boot CD, V0.1.

Swapped out disks to my retail SL.

Installed SL.

Boot from V0.1 disk, I have audio, reboot/shutdown works fine. iPhoto and iMovie will not work.

Boot from V0.5 disk, iPhoto and iMovie work, but shutdown/restart broke now.

Give n take....

I never could get chameleon to install, just kept getting an error. When i tried the manual install, then I just get a KP. So, untill I get a very detailed guide, I'll just leave the CD in the drive and call it a day.

Thanks for the great disk and all the great info.

Hi all

I have Win7/Snow10.6.1 booting from Chameleon RC3 on m1330

Installed Chameleon following this tutorial.

However in step 9, you want to make the Windows partition active.

Reboot into Windows Safe Mode with the prompt.

from cmd: (hit enter at end of each line)

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition x (x= osx partition)

active

exit

This is what works for me, for some reason you must set the active partition in windows or windows will not load properly from Chameleon, in my experience. This is a pain when reinstalling either OS.

Thanks for that. That got me most of the way, but I then got a KP. As I've now done so many random things, I'm going to start again from scratch.

Just one question:

However in step 9, you want to make the Windows partition active.

Reboot into Windows Safe Mode with the prompt.

from cmd: (hit enter at end of each line)

diskpart

select disk 0

select partition x (x= osx partition)

active

exit

Do I do this step as well as, or instead of the step 9 on the tutorial?

Thanks

Thanks for that. That got me most of the way, but I then got a KP. As I've now done so many random things, I'm going to start again from scratch.

Just one question:

Do I do this step as well as, or instead of the step 9 on the tutorial?

Thanks

I'm not sure which tutorial you are using... The method I showed you and the method above are equivalent, just the Windows vs. the OS-X way of doing things. Basically whichever partition is "active" becomes the boot device. Windows needs its partition active in order to install or to be recognized for repairing. OS-X needs its partition active for Chameleon. Both the diskpart tool and the fdisk command are available from their OS's respective install DVDs, so you can choose either even if your system is unbootable.

I'm not sure which tutorial you are using... The method I showed you and the method above are equivalent, just the Windows vs. the OS-X way of doing things. Basically whichever partition is "active" becomes the boot device. Windows needs its partition active in order to install or to be recognized for repairing. OS-X needs its partition active for Chameleon. Both the diskpart tool and the fdisk command are available from their OS's respective install DVDs, so you can choose either even if your system is unbootable.

Thanks immo, I see now. I have now got a bootable version of SL on my XPS M1330. :o

Should I be able to dual boot in to W7? I can't at the moment, and the repair disk can't find the W7 OS partition to repair.

Thanks immo, I see now. I have now got a bootable version of SL on my XPS M1330. :)

Should I be able to dual boot in to W7? I can't at the moment, and the repair disk can't find the W7 OS partition to repair.

As I mentioned before, you have to mark the Windows partition as active for Windows to be able to recognize it for repair. You can do this from the Windows install CD using the command prompt under the repair menu. After repairing, Windows will annoyingly replace the MBR to boot Windows directly instead of Chameleon, so you have to repeat the first step of the Chameleon install using an OS-X boot CD, and mark the OS-X partition as active again. Then you should have dual boot from Chameleon.

Just a note, I'm running Vista myself, but I'm fairly confident the same procedure works for 7.

EDIT

Actually you do not have to repeat the first part of the Chameleon install. Just activate the OS-X partition after repairing the Windows one and you should be good to dual boot.

I have a working Snow Leopard install on my Inspiron 1720 using Superhai's Dell Boot CD V5.

Currently, it boots and runs from hard drive, and I enabled this by installing Chameleon and copying the preboot.dmg into /Extra on the boot drive.

I'd really like to ditch the Ready made Preboot.dmg and just have a bunch of kexts in /Extra/extensions, however, whenever I try to get this working I end up with the boot appearing to go OK, but just at the point when the screen should turn blue and the desktop appear, it turns completely white, and stays that way.

Anybody got any idea what's up, or if this is actually possible? There seem to be an awful lot of people running SL, and relying on a usb stick to actually do the booting, is this related?

Thanks.

Andy.

All sorted, I now have dual boot as well. :( Thanks for your help Immo.

Next up, I need to finish my custom DSDT.aml file.

Does anyone have wireless working when using 4965AGN? If so, what's required?

Thanks

For that one you have to buy a Dell wireless card off of EBay. Should be able to get it for $30. Intel ones don't work, but the Dell ones work perfect out of the box (they are Broadcom based, the same as real Macs).

Thanks for all the help getting Snow Leopard on the m1330 so far. Big thanks to Superhai as usual for the head start :)

So far I have the following working in Snow Leopard:

- Retail Vanilla 10.6.1

- Sound (partial with VoodooHDA, manual output selection required, not as good as old AppleHDA)

- Graphics QE/CI (8400M GS 128mb)

- 2 Finger scroll (VoodooPS2Controller + prefpane)

- Wifi (from dell wifi card, not intel)

Still not working:

- Sleep

- Shutdown/restart

- Good battery life (I didn't even have this on Leopard)

- Perfect sound (I miss the auto-switching from AppleHDA)

For those who want a quick rundown of how I got to this stage...

- Started with Superhai's latest boot CD iso (v0.2)

- Modified the retail Snow Leopard install DVD to install to MBR (so I can dual boot Win 7)

- Upgraded Leopard to Snow Leopard with help from Superhai's boot CD

- Booted into 10.6.0 with boot CD and re-installed MacLoader to EFI partition (more details here)

- Updated MacLoader partition to latest version with latest chameleon

- Removed ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, replaced these with VoodooPS2Controller.kext

- 2-Finger scroll works now

- Updated to 10.6.1 through software update

- Removed NVResolver.kext and added the following to my chameleon boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>

- Rebooted and this enabled graphics, no injector or EFI string required (they should not be used), chameleon does all the work of detecting the nvidia card

I also noticed that with this method, the graphics performs well right after boot up, unlike previously when the screen needed to turn off and back on for the graphics performance to improve.

Also note that Superhai's boot CD includes the VoodooHDA.kext that will give you sound. Remember to enable it in system preferences by selecting speakers as output (if you forget to do this, you might not get sound).

So that's all, everything is working really well now, Snow Leopard is nice and fast. We just need to find a way to make sleep work. Maybe shutdown/restart will never work on m1330 but it would be nice to investigate even more.

Superhai: Good idea about a new thread. This one is getting very long, now that Snow Leopard is out we can start again. I think the m1330 is very close to being a perfect mac, just a few things left to fix.

I hope this helps everyone, if there are any questions about this i'll try to answer them.

Got my M1330 running SL using Superhai's boot CD but unable to get sound working properly. Shutdown/restart work OK but not sleep. Don't have to hold power button to shut down.

Loaded VoodooHDA kext from latest v5 cd using kexthelper and repaired permissions. Sound works fine on line out earphone skts but not speakers. Have used AppleHDA kext instead of and with Voodoo but same results.

Preferences shows 2 options- Complex Audio and Digital out (Black HDMI).

Maybe an edit to kext needed, have tried most versions of VoodooHDA.kext with same results.

Hope you can help as it's 95% there

are you using any dsdt file? which has the azal replaced by hdef by any chance? also is interesting the part about the shutdown/reboot working on video do you also have qe/??

i just remove my natit and then use that boot string and my video work ok with qe nice...

thank for response testor

dsdt file created with dsdt patcher - removed this and same result , re ran patcher & no change. enabled quartz with osx tools, but graphics clunky, shows 32mb vram in about mac - doesn't seem right.

loaded another voodoohda.kext and now have 3 options in preferences, still only headphones work

cant find natit.kext, and not sure about azal - i'm a noob with osx so bear with me

system t7250 c2d 9228 sound 8400 graphics 400 hdd 3gb ram led disp

have leopard 10.5.5 working fine in a similar machine

maybe start from scratch although it must be something silly

weird im a noob also i dont know what to tell you mine works with no issues an i use woodoohda from the dell install iso v5 the trick in my case to make it work was to put in in /S/L/E not in /E/E .

i did not use any macloader thing i just use the dell install v5 and a usb stik with leo snow then i just put the extra folder from the cd the voodoohda in the System Library Extension the voodoops2controler then i just chmod chown them all clear the cache and then reboot

i have in my /Extra/Extensions:

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext i got KP if i dont use this since i dont have that hpet things no dsdt.

PlatformUUID.kext <-- dont have a clue about this one

VoodooBattery.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext Need this in voodoops2controlor 64 bit build

VoodooTSCSync.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

fakesmc.kext

sleep not working reboot/shutdown not working no speedstep

i got the qe with

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

which i put in in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra here i also have the smbios.plist

My E/E looks almost identical to yours but has natit also, have com.apple.Bootlist + smbios in/Extra all from v5 cd.

No dsdt.aml . Using Chameleon 2 RC3 as bootloader on single partition GUID

VoodooHDA.kext is in S/L/E (was in /E/E also so trashed it)

Still wont talk to me only on headphones. I used V4 iso and d/l snow to install, wouldn't boot from v5 so used v4

The d/l copy is 10.6.1 , not sure of authenticity

Have ordered Retail from Apple and will do a complete reload using usb/v5 cd as per your method.

Will post results , it's an interesting project