[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I googled it before asking but yet it is a noob question:

I installed Vanilla 10.6 Retail + Supehais Boot v.5 on XPS 1330

everything went smooth...

I had no audio etc.

I logged in:

- installed kext helper and and tried to install Applex.kext for audio (dont remember the exact name but for xps 1330)

- success, but I didnt repair permissions (dont know how to do it)

after a min. screen blacked out and asked for restart

I booted with Chameleon 2 RC 2 and got hibernation error

Had to reinstall...

_

Now I'm writing on another comp. :

Noob Questions:

how do I install voodoohda.kext to S/L/E ?

how do I repair permissions?

will patching to 1.6.2 cause any problems?

how can I backup so I don't reinstall again?

Can I boot to Windows 7 from Chameleon if I install it after Mac OS X?

(I know they are silly questions but couldn't find answers to them)

Thank you for your help and patiance =)

got hibernate error for the 2nd time after instanlling voodoohda kext

Hi everyone,

I had no audio etc.

I logged in:

- installed kext helper and and tried to install Applex.kext for audio (dont remember the exact name but for xps 1330)

Had to reinstall...

_

Noob Questions:

how do I install voodoohda.kext to S/L/E ? - In terminal, navigate to the directory (Downloads most likely) and type cp -R VoodooHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

how do I repair permissions? Use Google to find KextUtility. Install that, and just run it every time you make a change to /E/E or /S/L/E

will patching to 1.6.2 cause any problems? If you mean 10.6.2 that depends on your graphics card. If you have an Nvidia card you should be OK. If you have an Intel GMA X3100 then you'll need to create a custom DSDT.aml file.

how can I backup so I don't reinstall again? Get an external drive, format it using Disk Utility and use Time Machine.

Can I boot to Windows 7 from Chameleon if I install it after Mac OS X? I don't think so, but I may be wrong. If you're going to do an install again, just do W7 first.

You also need to upgrade to Chameleon 2.0 RC3.

Set up SL on an external hard drive. Fresh clean install. Then migrate your files and settings using Migration Assistant. Make sure you uninstall the Protector Suite for the fingerprint reader if you have it before you migrate. Then restore onto your notebook using disk utility on SL or the install DVD.

Note: this will migrate all the kexts you have in /S/L/E in leopard to the /S/L/E in the SL. Make sure you take care of that. (boot SL in 64 bit mode and delete these kexts)

Thanks for the tips talisman. Ive decided to just clean install Snow Leopard and then restore from my time machine backup like I did before. Will it be ok just to format my old Leopard install partition without having to reinstall Windows 7? Is there a good guide to follow for the install? I guess also, what kexts should I grab before starting the install? I know Im going to need the DSDT.aml, voodooPS2controller, and maybe a modified AppleHDA.kext, but Im not sure what else to grab/keep from the old install.

Thanks again everyone! I hope Im not asking too many silly questions.

Hi everyone,

I had no audio etc.

I logged in:

Had to reinstall...

_

Noob Questions:

To Dual boot Windows 7 follow this guide http://www.hackint0sh.org/f184/87072.htm

I do remember reading somewhere that Chameleon didn't support 32-bit Win7, but i can't confirm it since i'm running 64-bit anyway.

Just a few questions before i install osx on my m1330.

1. I have windows 7 at the moment, is it harder to install if dual booting, and will i have to wipe my HD before i install osx?

2. Any reccomendations on what i should install, iAtkos or what? Anyone who has sucess in the past with an xps m1330

My spec:

T9300 2.5GHz

4GB Ram

Thanks

As soon as my winter exams are over (17th of December), I'll be writing up a new guide on installing SL and getting it fully updated to 10.6.2 on the XPS M1530; hopefully by then OSXRestart has been expanded to fix the issues with shutdown and our M1530s will be fully MBP comparable.

Just wanted to let you know that I am definitely looking forward to this guide. :thumbsdown_anim: I have Leopard installed and working decently, but I think a fresh install with SL and the ability to restart would be worth redoing everything. I will be anxiously awaiting your guide! :)

Edit: Will it be a vanilla guide? I have my current setup as Vanilla and it is very very convenient. :)

Thanks for the tips talisman. Ive decided to just clean install Snow Leopard and then restore from my time machine backup like I did before. Will it be ok just to format my old Leopard install partition without having to reinstall Windows 7? Is there a good guide to follow for the install? I guess also, what kexts should I grab before starting the install? I know Im going to need the DSDT.aml, voodooPS2controller, and maybe a modified AppleHDA.kext, but Im not sure what else to grab/keep from the old install.

You will find everything that you need here: Assuming you have a M1530 and a T9300 and Nvidia graphics. If not DON'T use my DSDt.aml and modify my smbios.plist : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1326816

You can keep your windows 7 and do whatever you want with your leopard partition. You might have to play around with flagging different partitions as active (with gparted live cd) and might have to repair startup for windows using the install DVD for windows 7. Let me know your detailed system specs.

Had to reinstall...

This might be because of a hibernate file.

And you can install any operating system in any order. Chameleon autodetects all partitions.

Try this:

1. Boot with install DVD

2. open up a terminal.

3. Navigate to /Volumes/<MacPartition>/private/var/vm

4. delete the file called sleepimage

5. Edit your com.apple.boot.plist to have forcewake=y

6. try rebooting

If that doesn't work.

Clean install and after first boot:

1. Open terminal and type: pmset -a hibernatemode 0

2. cd /private/var/vm

3. rm sleepimage

4. reboot and do whatever you have to

5. If you install voodooHDA make sure you delete AppleHDA because you might have a DSDT with the audio defined as HDEF

Thanks for the cable offer... but I don't have a monitor too....!! got my 2 xps almost on charity from Dell.... can't really afford to get a nice monitor etc... Ill see if I can get my hands on someones monitor this winter break....

Just a few questions before i install osx on my m1330.

1. I have windows 7 at the moment, is it harder to install if dual booting, and will i have to wipe my HD before i install osx?

2. Any reccomendations on what i should install, iAtkos or what? Anyone who has sucess in the past with an xps m1330

My spec:

T9300 2.5GHz

4GB Ram

Thanks

If you have windows 7, make another partition, install Snow leopard, install Chameleon 2 RC3 (for dual boot).

Before you install Snow Leopard (SL) you can modify the installer so that you can install on MBR partition, which is used by Microsoft. You could just wipe everything. Use SL to setup your partitions, then install windows first, then SL, then Chameleon (w.out restart). Set your active partition as SL.

Another thing you could do is track down SnowOSX v3.5 from a torrent. You can use that to install to a MBR partition so that you won't have to wipe your HD.

I was trying some stuff out tonight, using different values for the smbios to change between MacPro 5,1 and 3,1. I normally use 5,1 but read further back that 3,1 is a better match for my laptop (XPS M1330).

This is my current smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>Dell Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>XPS M1330</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>200</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2100</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmempart_2</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>00FF0000</string>
<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
<string>000736TU</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>667</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>FBCD12345678</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMboardid</key>
<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
<key>SMboarduuid</key>
<string>00000000-0000-0001-8000-001E4C6405B5</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_1</key>
<string>DIMM_A</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_2</key>
<string>DIMM_B</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I then changed:

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>

to

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP31.88Z.0070.B02.0706181323</string>

and

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>

to

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro3,1</string>

When I do this, speed step stops working. As far as I can tell, that's all that stops. Coolbook shows that the CPU frequency stays at 800hz (slowest) and the voltage never changes.

When I use the 5,1 versions, the CPU frequency and voltage change all the time. No difference in 32bit or 64bit.

I've uploaded both the smbios.plist files below.

Any ideas why this is the case?

smbios.zip

I have made good progress with my Snow Leopard install on my XPS M1330. I have gotten Two finger scroll working with the VooDooPS2.kext from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372 which I installed in /S/L/E. I also have reboot working now with OSXreboot.kext in my EFI under /E/E get it here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199048

Has anyone gotten standard shutdown or sleep working. I tried the DSDT.aml method and could never get it to work. It would boot but CoolBook showed all zeroes every time. I also tried OpenHaltRestart for Snow Leopard and I couldn't make that work either. If I can get these last two pieces worked out then I will have a fully functional Snow Leopard Install.

Any help would be appreciated.rolleyes.gif

I have made good progress with my Snow Leopard install on my XPS M1330. I have gotten Two finger scroll working with the VooDooPS2.kext from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372 which I installed in /S/L/E. I also have reboot working now with OSXreboot.kext in my EFI under /E/E get it here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=199048

Has anyone gotten standard shutdown or sleep working. I tried the DSDT.aml method and could never get it to work. It would boot but CoolBook showed all zeroes every time. I also tried OpenHaltRestart for Snow Leopard and I couldn't make that work either. If I can get these last two pieces worked out then I will have a fully functional Snow Leopard Install.

Did you get sound (speakers) to work on M1330 ?, I have sound but only on front jacks, using VoodooHDA.kext. in S/L/E Are you using DSDT.aml and is this necessary to get sound working (Sigmatel 9228, nVidia 8400 graphics)

Have gotten 2 finger scroll & reboot working using your links, although tap doesn't seem to work (no prob)

Your help appreciated

Try the any CPU DSDT.aml for M1330 here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

and make sure you read the section Step Four: Testing and Using the DSDT very carefully. You do not need the DropSSDT=y flag when using the any CPU DSDT.aml. Sleep works but shutdown does not.

Did you get sound (speakers) to work on M1330 ?, I have sound but only on front jacks, using VoodooHDA.kext. in S/L/E Are you using DSDT.aml and is this necessary to get sound working (Sigmatel 9228, nVidia 8400 graphics)

Have gotten 2 finger scroll & reboot working using your links, although tap doesn't seem to work (no prob)

Your help appreciated

When I installed the VooDooHDA.kext in S/L/E it immediately made sound out of my speakers. I never had to fight with it. It sounds like it could be a pin config issue of some kind. Try Slice's new VoodooHDA.kext here http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...post&id=822

Try the any CPU DSDT.aml for M1330 here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

and make sure you read the section Step Four: Testing and Using the DSDT very carefully. You do not need the DropSSDT=y flag when using the any CPU DSDT.aml. Sleep works but shutdown does not.

Ok I tried this guide to get sleep working with the DSDT.aml. No matter what it would KP on the VoodooPS2 driver and I need that for two finger scroll. It said it was loading Synaptics touch pad and then it KP's. Has anyone else run into this?

Currently, some DELL notebook users can't get sound out of their internal speakers, including me.

I tried to find why, several times, but didn't found any solution yet.

Help us find a solution to this random issue. We need as many STAC9228 users as posible to give us information.

Please complete this form

Responses

Thanks

You will find everything that you need here: Assuming you have a M1530 and a T9300 and Nvidia graphics. If not DON'T use my DSDt.aml and modify my smbios.plist : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1326816

You can keep your windows 7 and do whatever you want with your leopard partition. You might have to play around with flagging different partitions as active (with gparted live cd) and might have to repair startup for windows using the install DVD for windows 7. Let me know your detailed system specs.

Sorry for the late response. It is the start of finals season so this project took a backseat to some last minute projects.

My system specs are as follows:

System:Dell XPS M1530

Processor: Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHZ

RAM:4GB DDR2

Graphics:Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256MBon the WSXGA panel

Sound:Sigmatel 9205 HD Audio

Not sure if you need any more details than that. I plan on following superhai's install guide for the basis of my install process(using tips from this forum)

Thanks!

System:Dell XPS M1530

Processor: Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHZ

RAM:4GB DDR2

Graphics:Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256MBon the WSXGA panel

Sound:Sigmatel 9205 HD Audio

I have a DSDT for that. I'll post it once I find it. Or you can ask Chrysaor for his.... he has the same config as yours.

Ok I tried this guide to get sleep working with the DSDT.aml. No matter what it would KP on the VoodooPS2 driver and I need that for two finger scroll. It said it was loading Synaptics touch pad and then it KP's. Has anyone else run into this?

I tried the VoodooPS2 posted on this thread and had no luck (but I didn't have a kernel panic).

The one I found that worked for me is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372

Currently, some DELL notebook users can't get sound out of their internal speakers, including me.

I tried to find why, several times, but didn't found any solution yet.

Help us find a solution to this random issue. We need as many STAC9228 users as posible to give us information.

Please complete this form

Responses

Thanks

I have an XPS M1330 but have no idea where to get all the values you've asked for. If you can let me know, or put together a small guide or something, I'll be happy to fill mine in as all my audio is working correctly.

I have an XPS M1330 but have no idea where to get all the values you've asked for. If you can let me know, or put together a small guide or something, I'll be happy to fill mine in as all my audio is working correctly.

Under OSX:

1. - Download: getdump.zip
  2. - Open a Terminal
  3. - Run
    ./getdump > dump.txt

4. - Open dump.txt from any editor.

Under Linux:

1. - See which codecs you have
    ls /proc/asound/card0

2. - For each codec (replace N with a number Ex: codec#0)
    cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#N > ~/dumpN.txt

3. - Open dumpN.txt from any editor.

I have a DSDT for that. I'll post it once I find it. Or you can ask Chrysaor for his.... he has the same config as yours.

Thanks talisman Greatly appreciated.

So I went forth with the SL install following superhai's guide, combined with talisman's zip file, and using Brett's DSDT.aml. It boots and logs in just fine. However, I have the following issues:

-No sounds. Used both VoodooHDA and my old AppleHDA with HDAEnabler. No results with both. I am using a Sigmatel STAC 9205.

-No WiFi. Added the string for the Broadcom 4315 to the IO80211Family kext like I did before. Still not showing up though. Lists as an "other network controller." The card is a Dell Wireless 1395

-custom smbios.plist. Not sure what specifics need to be set for my system from the file provided by talisman.

I will continue testing and report results with an installation guide once things are set up.

Under OSX:

1. - Download: getdump.zip
  2. - Open a Terminal
  3. - Run
    ./getdump > dump.txt

4. - Open dump.txt from any editor.

Under Linux:

1. - See which codecs you have
    ls /proc/asound/card0

2. - For each codec (replace N with a number Ex: codec#0)
    cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#N > ~/dumpN.txt

3. - Open dumpN.txt from any editor.

I've attached all the files below if you need them. I've uploaded my info for my STAC9228 (codec#0) to your spreadsheet. I think I've done it correctly, but please check. If you want the HDMI stuff (codec#2) let me know.

I'm using a custom DSDT.aml file created using this guide by immo. All patches applied except for the NVidia patch as I don't have an NVidia card, I have an Intel GMA X3100. I do have the HDEF patch, and I've not tried without it yet. I also don't have an HDMI device to test if that is working.

VoodooHDA in /S/L/E.

If you need any other information, let me know.

dump.zip

I've attached all the files below if you need them. I've uploaded my info for my STAC9228 (codec#0) to your spreadsheet. I think I've done it correctly, but please check. If you want the HDMI stuff (codec#2) let me know.

I'm using a custom DSDT.aml file created using this guide by immo. All patches applied except for the NVidia patch as I don't have an NVidia card, I have an Intel GMA X3100. I do have the HDEF patch, and I've not tried without it yet. I also don't have an HDMI device to test if that is working.

VoodooHDA in /S/L/E.

If you need any other information, let me know.

Thanks! Now I need more and more and more users to post their info there.

-No sounds. Used both VoodooHDA and my old AppleHDA with HDAEnabler. No results with both. I am using a Sigmatel STAC 9205.

-No WiFi. Added the string for the Broadcom 4315 to the IO80211Family kext like I did before. Still not showing up though. Lists as an "other network controller." The card is a Dell Wireless 1395

-custom smbios.plist. Not sure what specifics need to be set for my system from the file provided by talisman.

This DSDT should fix your sound issues (This is a CPU specific DSDT for M1530 T8300 8600MGT and it has all the fixes except the SMBUS devices fix). Also use the VoodooHDA from here (first post, latest attachment marked snow 252) to fix sleep issues with voodoo.

I am also attaching the smbios.plist that you need for your system. Just make sure you change the smuuid to match the one you have in PlatformUUID.kext.

M1530_T8300_8600MGT_DSDT_smbios.zip