[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I think that using natit.kext might not be so good, so I will find something else. If you have problems please boot with verbose mode to identify the issue, and also adding your configuration will also make it easier.

System config is as follows: CPU: Core2 Duo T8100

Memory: 4Gig RAM

Network Card: Broadcom, not sure on model. Unfortunately I think its a 5096.

Wireless: Intel 4965AGN

Graphics is onboard Intel 965 chipset.

I've not installed OS X yet, so how do I boot in verbose mode using your boot CD?

Thanks.

System config is as follows: CPU: Core2 Duo T8100

Memory: 4Gig RAM

Network Card: Broadcom, not sure on model. Unfortunately I think its a 5096.

Wireless: Intel 4965AGN

Graphics is onboard Intel 965 chipset.

I've not installed OS X yet, so how do I boot in verbose mode using your boot CD?

Thanks.

Never mind, I worked it out. Here are the last couple of lines:

...lots of stuff...

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded.

Still waiting for root device

Still waiting for root device

Regards

Alex

Dell XPS M1330 Boot CD

Finally I got some time and have tested more properly the boot CD. This resulted in a version 0.5 which is available from http://www.superhai.com/boot-test.html

Updates:

• Moved back to 32 bit mode due to EFI64 nodes missing in Chameleon RC3. This will avoid Install failures due to the bless command. And also firewire without security mode will also require EFI64, as well as other minor things
  • Removed the DSDT.aml file, so it doen't need it to boot from CD. It may however be recommended to make your own on your final install
  • Updated the VoodooHDA.kext with new version from Slice and added pin configs so Speakers work properly. The boot CD do not use it, but you can copy it to your final install.
  • Gfx on the boot CD is using natit.kext for injecting values. And the values are for nvidia 8400M GS, but it seem like 8600 work as well, it will day 8400 in system profiler however. Intel gfx might or might not work accelerated, but I don't know about it.
  • Smbios.plist with MacBookPro3,1 values, it is the best match for the M1330.
  • I added the Chameleon binary files to the CD so you don't need to copy it afterwards. Included is the readme.
  • TODO: none for the boot CD at the moment, chime in here if you come up with something, and bugs as well

Insert and boot from it - when chameleon screen completes loading, eject the cd and insert the Snow Leopard dvd and wait for approx one minute. Then press F5 and if all goes well you will see the DVD as an icon. Choose it and off you go. If it doesn't show up properly, try to press F5 once more.

If you have another laptop than the XPS M1330, try it at your own risk.

I also will update my Dell XPS M1330 Snow Leopard guide.

And please don't ask me about things not related to this.

And, and... I hate linux.

Hello Superhai,

First thanks for your work(always start by a congratulations before any critics ;-)

however I have tested your preboot CD until 0.4 on the following configurations and I never managed

to make it work :

Dell XPS M1530

Core2Duo T8300 2.4 GHz

3 GB DDR2

GForce 8600MGT (1680x1050)

120 GB SSD OCZ Vertex

Marvell Yukon 88E8040 + Wifi Intel 4965AGN

But recently I managed to get it work so I am a complete noob in hackintosh but here is my analysis:

You were using DSDT.aml but in your kernel flags you are not using DropSSDT=y so I don't think it can work. Your DSDT doesn't work on a M1530 and I started from another one from Chrysaor and modified it. You can see discussions on this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...90780&st=20.

You were also using a very simplistic smbios.plis but I have used the one from the other thread I mentioned above and that uses a MacBookPro5,1 identifier (it seems to work better for acpi problems).

I will post my ISO tonight if I don't forget and my sources as well

UPDATE : you can find my preboot cd HERE

hello, i have a dell m1330 and i just downloaded iatkos v7, is this the correct one to use for my system and is their anyone who has used this one? what elese do i need? im a noob at this so all help would be appericated..

ystem Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: XPS M1330

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A12

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Page File: 1223MB used, 5128MB available

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8400M GS

You were using DSDT.aml but in your kernel flags you are not using DropSSDT=y so I don't think it can work. Your DSDT doesn't work on a M1530 and I started from another one from Chrysaor and modified it. You can see discussions on this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...90780&st=20.

You were also using a very simplistic smbios.plis but I have used the one from the other thread I mentioned above and that uses a MacBookPro5,1 identifier (it seems to work better for acpi problems).

I will post my ISO tonight if I don't forget and my sources as well

UPDATE : you can find my preboot cd HERE

There are a couple of points you are missing. First I have never made anything for the XPS M1530. Secondly I never use DropSSDT because it is not necessary for me, it does work perfectly well with my modified DSDT. Third, the DSDT.aml added to the boot cd was something I found here, as my laptop was out of service. Fourth; about the MacBookPro5,1: I don't know about 1530, but the XPS M1330 have very similar hardware as the MacBookPro3,1. All the ACPI tables are good, and built-in speed-step work on my CPU just fine. C-states however stopped working after Apple added a check on the LPC device hardware in Leopard, so I guess I need to find out how to fix that, however nor does it work with mbp5,1.

The boot disk of version 0.1 and 0.5 does not use a custom DSDT and possibly is able to work better for you. I think the v0.1 is the one which have a greater chance of succeeding on a non M1330 system as it is more conservative and generic in the design. The smbios.plist was put in wrong place on the 0.4 so it didn't work at all for the boot cd.

Hi superahai

Does sleep works for you with Snow Leopard. I have everything working apart from sleep in my Dell inspiron 1520.

Earlier in 10.5.7 OS X, I used to have your VoodooUSBEHCI.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext edited for OSBundleCompatibleVersion and sleep used to work with that.

How to enable sleep in SL ?

I had to use a dsdt with speed step enabled for my specific processor & computer to get the computer to sleep. After that no additional mods were required. I can not get deep sleep/hibernate to work but quick-sleep (mode 0) works. With mode 3, the computer goes into deep-sleep, but it won't wake up where it was left off (deep sleep is tested by taking the battery out to simulate dead battery; the content is written to ram & hd so it should wake up fine)

If you don't have a DSDT with speed step then use the attached file and you might be able to get it to work. Put it in /Extra/Extensions.

Don't use this kext if you have speedstep in your dsdt...

Native_Speedstep_snow_leo.zip

C-states however stopped working after Apple added a check on the LPC device hardware in Leopard, so I guess I need to find out how to fix that, however nor does it work with mbp5,1.

If you could fix C-States that would be sooooooooooo good.

My M1330 has a T9300 and even with native speedstep it gets very hot after 10-15 minutes of use. The fans go crazy after a while and I am 100% sure native speedstep is working.

People who have gotten C-States to work have seen significant drops in CPU temps. This would hopefully increase battery life to a more normal level too.

I have spent hours trying to learn about C-States and fix them, but it's just too hard for me at this point. If anyone could help tackle this problem I'd be so happy. I know you have the skill Superhai :)

I had to use a dsdt with speed step enabled for my specific processor & computer to get the computer to sleep. After that no additional mods were required. I can not get deep sleep/hibernate to work but quick-sleep (mode 0) works. With mode 3, the computer goes into deep-sleep, but it won't wake up where it was left off (deep sleep is tested by taking the battery out to simulate dead battery; the content is written to ram & hd so it should wake up fine)

If you don't have a DSDT with speed step then use the attached file and you might be able to get it to work. Put it in /Extra/Extensions.

Don't use this kext if you have speedstep in your dsdt...

How do i find whether the dsdt is speed step enabled or not ?

I don't know whether my dsdt.aml is speedstep enabled.

If it is enabled then what should I do ?

I had put the the above attached plugin in /Extra/Extensions. but yet the laptop once goes into sleep can't wake up again. These are the console messages

23/10/09 8:42:35 AM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

23/10/09 8:42:35 AM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I don't know whether my dsdt.aml is speedstep enabled.

If it is enabled then what should I do ?

I had put the the above attached plugin in /Extra/Extensions. but yet the laptop once goes into sleep can't wake up again. These are the console messages

23/10/09 8:42:35 AM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

23/10/09 8:42:35 AM kernel ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

Looks like it timed out, so I'm guessing it doesn't have it... Use this DSDT, it is bare bones, non-cpu speficic and use this kext.

M1530_DSDT.aml_chrysaor_gfx_camshell.zip

i put in /Extra/Extensions/voodoohda.kext an still no sound m1330 what do i do wrong?

note im not using any dsdt since im not fully understanding how to make one i mean how to edit for m1330

Remove it from /Extras/Extensions and move it to /System/Library/Extensions...

Repair permissions and you're set. VoodooHDA doesn't work well from /Extra/Extensions/... at least in my experience.

nop i change it i remove also the applehda.kext to be sure it doesn't interfere still nothing

Do you boot in 32 or 64 bit? Which voodoohda are you using?

Have you tried this one : http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...;st=0#entry1165 ???

What tells you verbose boot on startup?

/S/L/E definetly is the place to be for VoodooHDA.

Ciao,

Harry

Remove it from /Extras/Extensions and move it to /System/Library/Extensions...

Repair permissions and you're set. VoodooHDA doesn't work well from /Extra/Extensions/... at least in my experience.

donkey, could you please upload a dsdt or working nvinject.kext for the geforce 8600 gt? :)

i´m not able to get my native 1680 screen resolution with snow leopard.

You are blocking AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, so whatever you do with your DSDT it will not work, as OS X will not start its PM system without that kext.

You are blocking AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, so whatever you do with your DSDT it will not work, as OS X will not start its PM system without that kext.

yeah, that chrysalor dsdt file gave KPs, so do you have sleep working ? Whats the solution to above problem. I am just using the DSDT generated by DSDT patcher in /Extra/Extensions I have following

fakesmc, nullcpupowermanagement, voodoobattery, voodoops2controller, openhaltrestart, IOATAfamily, platformuuid

and in /System/Library/Extensions i have VoodooHDA, VoodooSDHC, VoodooPower plus I have removed IOATAfamily from there.

The ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin is the original kext installed by default in /S/L/E, so how do i solve blocking problem ?

yeah, that chrysalor dsdt file gave KPs, so do you have sleep working ? Whats the solution to above problem. I am just using the DSDT generated by DSDT patcher in /Extra/Extensions I have following

fakesmc, nullcpupowermanagement, voodoobattery, voodoops2controller, openhaltrestart, IOATAfamily, platformuuid

and in /System/Library/Extensions i have VoodooHDA, VoodooSDHC, VoodooPower plus I have removed IOATAfamily from there.

The ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin is the original kext installed by default in /S/L/E, so how do i solve blocking problem ?

Yes, I have sleep working.

1. Do not use DSDT for other computers than your own brand and model.
  2. I do not recommend using DSDT patcher, but if you don´t know better I guess you have no choice. It does however make some assumptions which may not apply to your models DSDT and therefore fail.
  3. NullCPUPowerManagement blocks AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and needs to be removed. However you need working HPET(s).
  4. Removing IOATAFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions will cause problems for you sooner or later. As well as any removal of "vanilla" components.
  5. If you want speedstepping working using "ACPI_SMC" plugin, you will have to remove VoodooPower as they both will try to control speedstepping at the same time.

For all with XPS M1330 with same config as mine, here is the DSDT I currently use -> dsdt.aml.zip

I might post about the differences that I made to it at a later time. There are no p-state tables in it.

Do you boot in 32 or 64 bit? Which voodoohda are you using?

Have you tried this one : http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...;st=0#entry1165 ???

What tells you verbose boot on startup?

/S/L/E definetly is the place to be for VoodooHDA.

Ciao,

Harry

32b boot 64b kernel.

In -v the only error I get related to VoodooHDA is Recording device isn't set... althought my internal mic does work, as do the speakers and left line out port, the second line out doesn't work...

And yes, I'm using the VoodooHDA from projectosx :(

hmm if i load the voodoohda manual from /system/library/extensions sound is working why it doesn't start automatically ???

Did you delete AppleHDA.kext?

Did you rebuild your extension cache after placing VoodooHDA.kext in /S/L/E?

If you didn't rebuild your kext cache, find Kext Utility Snow Leopard (google it) and it should fix the problem.

PS: you could also try booting with -f and see if the kext loads...

well i delete the /s/l/c/com.apple.kext.cache/start content

should i do something else?

You can do that... but make sure the permissions are set correctly.

Download Kext Utility (Snow Leopard Version). Use that to set permissions correctly and to build your cache again.

well i solve it like that i remove the applehda(i put it back for the sake of experiment rebuild the cache and audio still work after the boot so i guess it was only a cache issue) then delete that cache thing then i use this

kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

now the sound work after reboot thanks for help now i only have to find how make the reboot/shutdown thing sleep and how to boot in 64 not 32

Backup before you boot in 64bit. You might get kernel panic...

What is your graphics card model?

Hi @ all,

I am using superhai's installation instructions on my M1330. I have booted with boot_cd v0.4 (v0.5 ends with a black screen) and started diskutility to create 3 partitions, option GUID Partition Table.

1st: WINDOWS (MS-DOS FAT), 50GB

2nd: Mac OS (Mac OS Extended (Journaled), 50GB

3rd: DATA (MS-DOS FAT), 150 GB

After partitioning and formating I booted with my windows xp 32bit install cd and started installation. I formated the "windows partition" with NTFS from the install process. The installation started and copied all needed files to disk. After that the system tried to boot and I got the following error.

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll

please re-install a copy of the above file."

I checked a lot of post on the internet. Most solutions told to check the boot.ini and/or copy the hal.dll from the installation cd on the hd.

I checked my boot.ini and it seems to be okay.

[boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating system]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I also copied the hal.dll from the installation cd on the disk into the right folder, without any changes. The error is still the same.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve the problem.

I try to install windows xp 32bit and in parallel mac os snow leopard on the same disk on different partitions.

Thanks a lot for your help and best regards.

Michael

thanks Superhai for all your hard work and awesome job!

however your thread on creating a hackinthebox is still complicated for some, if you really want to win brownie points with the ladies go bios to boot as well, it took me forever to figure out what to do with that and it would help people if you could go as detailed as possible so everyone can reap the rewards of your work

Hi @ all,

I am using superhai's installation instructions on my M1330. I have booted with boot_cd v0.4 (v0.5 ends with a black screen) and started diskutility to create 3 partitions, option GUID Partition Table.

1st: WINDOWS (MS-DOS FAT), 50GB

2nd: Mac OS (Mac OS Extended (Journaled), 50GB

3rd: DATA (MS-DOS FAT), 150 GB

After partitioning and formating I booted with my windows xp 32bit install cd and started installation. I formated the "windows partition" with NTFS from the install process. The installation started and copied all needed files to disk. After that the system tried to boot and I got the following error.

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll

please re-install a copy of the above file."

I checked a lot of post on the internet. Most solutions told to check the boot.ini and/or copy the hal.dll from the installation cd on the hd.

I checked my boot.ini and it seems to be okay.

[boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating system]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I also copied the hal.dll from the installation cd on the disk into the right folder, without any changes. The error is still the same.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve the problem.

I try to install windows xp 32bit and in parallel mac os snow leopard on the same disk on different partitions.

Thanks a lot for your help and best regards.

Michael

Sounds to me like your XP install failed. HAL.dll is Hardware Abstraction Layer library, nothing will run without it, so your installation can't have completed properly.

I'd rerun the install, and format the partition again during the Windows install.

hi

can some one please help

xps M1330

Win 7

T7500 2.20GHZ

4GB Ram

I am using DellSnow v5 loader I have downloaded Sl 10.6 dmg file change the file extension to iso and burnt to dvd

Reboot pc with DellSnow change cd to SL and after 1min press F5 and this is where the problem starts I get a pic of a HardDrive and not the SL DVD I can't select the drive I can only shut down my PC

I have looked and Goggled this and can't find an answer