[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hi,

Firstly many thanks for everyone's contributions. This thread in particular has been a huge help in setting up OS X on my XPS 1530. With almost everything all working I'm now down to one final task regarding video output. Through my investigation into NVCAPs, EFIs, various NVInjects etc I'm actually wondering if what I'm trying to sort out it is even possible.

My laptop dual boots vista and OS X 10.5.2. Within Vista I can utilise both the VGA and HDMI ouputs simultaneously (i.e. using the FN + F8 to switch the laptop display off and use the VGA output, plus have an additional screen running via HDMI). THis means I can have two external LCDs running off the laptop each displaying a different screen at different resolutions.

In OS X I can have one of my externals running perfectly through the HDMI port and also have my laptop display working fine also. I can set up various arrangements, mirroring etc all fine with this. However I would like to use the same set up as I do for Vista where I disable the laptop LCD display and have that output (at the same resolution) to an external LCD via VGA. Plus also have a second external LCD connected via the HDMI output.

This is where it has become tricky. Any attempt to Detect Display with the VGA port connected results in a blank screen, as does booting with the VGA connected. I've read something along the lines of both the VGA and HDMI ports sitting on the same 'channel', meaning that it's not possible to have both active at one time. Since the configuration I'm looking for is possible within Vista I'm curious to keep trying out new ways, although I thought I'd check here if it is beyond the current drivers, setup available with x86 OS X.

If anyone has any thoughts, ideas they would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey there!

I bought a Toneport UX1 (USB Audio interface) and really don't work very well. Every 20 seconds the sound goes away. I can not record or play live because the sound is cut again and again.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. I do not know how to fix this. I tried everything (the version of BIOS, operating system, disable wifi, bluetooth, changing video drivers) without success.

Does anybody have experience in this issue? And a solution?

Thanks for your reply

Now...everything works except internal microphone, wifi (which i'll solve with the new card) and shutdown/restart. This i great! Regarding audio though i was sure i had STAC 9228 so i installed those drivers and everything except this internal microphone work perfectly...but i found out i actually have STAC 9205...do you know if those drivers work better? Cause if they enable EVERYTHING, even the mic...then i'll put them and have a fantastic hackbook :D

If you have a M1530 it has a STAC 9228. The BIOS shows incorrect information. If you have a vostro, I think they got the internal mic to work....

This is where it has become tricky. Any attempt to Detect Display with the VGA port connected results in a blank screen, as does booting with the VGA connected. I've read something along the lines of both the VGA and HDMI ports sitting on the same 'channel', meaning that it's not possible to have both active at one time. Since the configuration I'm looking for is possible within Vista I'm curious to keep trying out new ways, although I thought I'd check here if it is beyond the current drivers, setup available with x86 OS X.

If anyone has any thoughts, ideas they would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Go to wingrunr21's guide (find it in his signature) and in the graphics section you will find a link to Urthwhyte's kext which enables mirroring on vga. Try it and see if it suits your purpose....

Hey Guys

I have the latest Dell Studio 1555 model.. Are there any drivers available for the following config

2. Dell™ Backlit Keyboard with Touchpad (English)

4. Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9800 (2.93GHz/ 1066 FSB/ 6MB Cache)

5. Dell™ Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module

6. 15.6 " 720p WLED (1366x768) Display with TrueLife™ and Built-in 2.0MP Web Cam

7. Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Cam

8. Integrated Fast Ethernet 10/100/1000

10. 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

11. Intel® WiFi Link 5300 (802.11a/g/n) Half Mini-card

12. Slot Load Fixed Blu-ray BD-ROM / DVD + /-RW Combo Drive

I think there is none for the Intel Wifi one.. What about the rest?? are they all compatible?

Which Wifi card can I replace my Intel one with? I did a search on ebay and could not find a half mini-card

Please help!!!

Hi, haven't been here for a while so I've better ask.

I'm running 10.5.4 and should probably update. Running vanilla kernel but the usual extra kexts. my bootloader is from kalyway 10.5.1 ... can't remember what bootloader exactly.

What is the safest way of upgrading? Just apple bundle - install - hope for the best or is there a kalyway upgrade or similar abouts?

thanks!

ok... News:

1. Chameleon 2 RC1 is out. It is more graphical, and, yes, it does change your apple logo in the startup screen. I have not yet looked into customizing it.

2. I successfully did a vanilla install in an MBR partition. I am not the first one to do it though. However, I can write up a tutorial for it.

wingrunr21: How would you like me to do it? I can make a separate tutorial and add links to yours, or I can write it up and send it to you and you can make it a part of yours.

I would like to update it, there are circumstances I don't like to discuss publicly, I bet you already noticed the absence of the mods and admins.

I already installed Chameleon 2, so the plan is to add the chameleon howto as part of the tips.

You did great work tho.

ok... News:

1. Chameleon 2 RC1 is out. It is more graphical, and, yes, it does change your apple logo in the startup screen. I have not yet looked into customizing it.

2. I successfully did a vanilla install in an MBR partition. I am not the first one to do it though. However, I can write up a tutorial for it.

wingrunr21: How would you like me to do it? I can make a separate tutorial and add links to yours, or I can write it up and send it to you and you can make it a part of yours.

GREAT! Looking forward for the updated tutorial!

Hello People, i have a dell inspiron 1420, (geforce 8400m gs,2gb ram, 120hd, intel wireless 3945, t5450...). I succesfull installed iatkos v4i.

its working the sound but sometimes im forced to reinstall the kext to fix the problem again

the geforce 8400m gs its working too, but i remove the NVDAResman (i prefer reboot & shutdown and have no aceleration for now) the other issue with this, its the 1024x768 fixed resolution

i have wireless with a dlink with a ralink chipset (rt73), sometimes with higher usage the system hang up

i have a problem with the load cycle count (the noise eventually will drive me crazy), i solved the issue with the hdpam app, and setting in the bios again the flash module & ahci support (without this, the hdapm dont work).

the sleep is not working, i read somewhere the sound can back to life sleeping the notebook, but i cant sleep that why i install the kext over and over when the sound its gone (very anoying).

If someone can guide to resolve the issue with the sleep & the resolution it will be greath!

Thanks!

PD:Sorry for my english, it isnt one of my strongs skills.

Hi,

I have a XPS m1530 and i use leo retail boot from efi partition and vista X64 on other partition. Vista is not booting but leo is nice working. dual boot is not working. How can i work dual boot? maybe chameleon 2RC1? but How?

Audio is not working, too. There are AppleHDA and HDAEnabler on Volumes/EFI/Extensions. How can fix it? Pls help me.. Thanks

Hi,

I have a XPS m1530 and i use leo retail boot from efi partition and vista X64 on other partition. Vista is not booting but leo is nice working. dual boot is not working. How can i work dual boot? maybe chameleon 2RC1? but How?

Audio is not working, too. There are AppleHDA and HDAEnabler on Volumes/EFI/Extensions. How can fix it? Pls help me.. Thanks

Boot the machine with your Vista OS CD. Choose repair installation and then choose startup repair. Once that is done, reboot and you should be able to boot into Vista.

For the sound, make sure that you have done a "repair permission" with disk utility. Go to system preferences and make sure you have chosen the correct output. If nothing works put the kexts in your extensions folder, repair permissions and you should be good to go. Did you get the kexts from my post?? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=0#entry1010970

If you want Chameleon v2 rc1 go ahead and install it. As far as I know, it is stable in the M1530

Chameleon 2.0 is nice but it doesn't really add anything that we didn't had before. Hibernate is still not working, SMBIOS patching was possible with mackerintel's older chameleon mod, MediaDirect button method is more convenient than the gui os choice screen.

Chameleon 2.0 is nice but it doesn't really add anything that we didn't had before. Hibernate is still not working, SMBIOS patching was possible with mackerintel's older chameleon mod, MediaDirect button method is more convenient than the gui os choice screen.

Exactly, on a single drive there is no BIG advantages (just a nice GUI and no need to SMBIOS enabler/nhancer).

On two or more drive there are som advantages, of course that is not the case o most laptop users.

Hello People, i have a dell inspiron 1420, (geforce 8400m gs,2gb ram, 120hd, intel wireless 3945, t5450...). I succesfull installed iatkos v4i.

its working the sound but sometimes im forced to reinstall the kext to fix the problem again

the geforce 8400m gs its working too, but i remove the NVDAResman (i prefer reboot & shutdown and have no aceleration for now) the other issue with this, its the 1024x768 fixed resolution

i have wireless with a dlink with a ralink chipset (rt73), sometimes with higher usage the system hang up

i have a problem with the load cycle count (the noise eventually will drive me crazy), i solved the issue with the hdpam app, and setting in the bios again the flash module & ahci support (without this, the hdapm dont work).

the sleep is not working, i read somewhere the sound can back to life sleeping the notebook, but i cant sleep that why i install the kext over and over when the sound its gone (very anoying).

If someone can guide to resolve the issue with the sleep & the resolution it will be greath!

Thanks!

PD:Sorry for my english, it isnt one of my strongs skills.

i found the solution for the resolution passing the parameter "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" at boot, now im trying to find why i cant sleep the notebook, i read somewhere there maybe a problem with the speedstep ? (this is working ok), i think i have the vainilla 9.4.0 kernel from the iatkos 4i installation.

Someone can help me here ?

Thanks

Go to wingrunr21's guide (find it in his signature) and in the graphics section you will find a link to Urthwhyte's kext which enables mirroring on vga. Try it and see if it suits your purpose....

Thanks a lot for this reference talisman. It's helped me get a few steps closer to my goal, but not quite there yet. Using Urthwhyte's kext I now have VGA active and can mirror with this no problem. I can also have HDMI active and mirror with that (so both ports are being detected and can display either in mirror or extended mode with the laptop screen). However, my ultimate goal is to have both VGA and HDMI outputs active at one time (laptop display could then be mirrored, asleep etc whatever the result of what a normal FN F8 would be). However even with Urthwhyte's kext as soon as I plug in the second display (either after booted) or try and boot with both in (both with mirroring off and on), I get a crash (a crash log is generated although the content off this is a bit cryptic for me to interpret). When booting with both plugged in it seems to get into a loop of attempting to activate the 'windowserver' but failing each time, until I shut it down. I'm wondering if it's the combination of resolutions (1920x1080 & 1680x1050) I'm trying to display at once and perhaps this is too much for the drivers/graphics card combination in their current state of optimisation for os x.

I will persevere and try to learn more so I can maybe get this working. If I do have success (or learn more as to why I don't), I will of course add my comments here in case they can be of use.

Thanks again!

Lol, just randomly came across macgirl on this other forum. :D Wow I thought that is not possible according to probability theory.

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&a...=a&start=75

I randomly come across myself on some other forums... how probable is that?

Yes I am on that forum, and also on other that I no longer visit regurlarly, I visit RPC1 when I got a new burner, the only one that I never get RPC1 firmware is the XPS' writer.

Superhai, could you look at this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1127577 ?

Ok, I just installed chameleon 2 with the installer from the chameleon website. I installed it to my osx partition. I have 3 partitions, windows 7, vista and osx on my m1330. Now upon starting the laptop it boots to a blank screen with an underscore blinking in the top left corner. How can I fix this?

Ok, I just installed chameleon 2 with the installer from the chameleon website. I installed it to my osx partition. I have 3 partitions, windows 7, vista and osx on my m1330. Now upon starting the laptop it boots to a blank screen with an underscore blinking in the top left corner. How can I fix this?

fixed it. I had to repair the mbr for vista

ok so i have the following xps m1330:

CPU: C2D T7500 2.20

RAM: 4GB Ram

Graphics: 8400M GS

Wireless: Intel 4965AGN

Wired: Broadcom Netlink

I disabled all the performance in the bios disabled the second core

I tried LeoV3, xXx 10.5. ATKOS, iPC disc.

I have tried to boot with -s, -x, -F, nothing everything get stuck at the infinite Apple loading screen or the following screen:

IMG_2275.jpg

Can someone please email me. drozek at gmail dot com Thanks

Superhai, could you look at this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1127577 ?

I am no fan of writing directly to device memory bypassing the driver, even when it is partially working. But if you know what to write then go ahead. I haven't spent much time for HDA stuff because I have waited for the final VHDA kext (with a "return to start" history, now with new devs after the original one went underground) which currently have mic working but have other issues.