[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

My geekbench score is 3400 after startup, then after waking from sleep it's 1800. Anyone have this problem?.. or have an idea of what could cause this?

I have a feeling that whatever is causing this, is also causing my kernel panics (Also only happen after sleep), and is preventing speedstep from working.

What speedstep are you using?? And have you updated to PC_EFI v9 ?

Do a "sysctl -a | grep freq" at the terminal before and after sleep and post the output.

And did you set hibernate mode to 0?

Hi to all!

I have Dell media remote and I use it with Front Row.

But Dell media remote don't have button 'Esc'. In Front Row I can go to the previous menu with 'Esc'.

Well, there is button Backspace on Remote (button #4, see image). One thing that we need - remap FrontRow and add alias 'Backspace = Esc'.

How we can do it? I go to the System preferences, Keyboard shortcuts. Add shortcut for the FrontRow. (see screenshot in attachment)

so, the question is: where I can see name of frontrow's actions? Name of frontrow's menu item, that allows go to the previous level?

I have application 'Butler', but it also needs names of actions for the mapping.

I remember this was discussed a while ago, I don't believe there was any solution found.

I suggest using a different media center application, there are much better alternatives like Boxee and Plex which has better support for remote.

What speedstep are you using?? And have you updated to PC_EFI v9 ?

Do a "sysctl -a | grep freq" at the terminal before and after sleep and post the output.

And did you set hibernate mode to 0?

Hi Talisman,

I have tried genericcpupowermanagement, voodoopower, and XNU intelenhancedspeedstep, all give me kernel panic on boot.

I have updated to pc_EFI v9 and set hibernate mode to 0.

any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Hey Guys,

I'm back with another small issue ;) Thanks for your help on the USB/Ethernet speeds. Replacing the kext properly fixed the issues.

My new issue is that my TrueMobile 1505 wifi card won't turn on if I have already booted into OS X. I can click "Turn Airport On" as many times as I want, but it doesn't actually turn on. The only way to get it to turn on is if I reboot with the wifi switch already in the on position. I tried searching this thread for a similar problem, but I couldn't find anything.

This only started happening after installing OS X Vanilla (with wingrunr's help:)). So, I'm not sure if that would play into it or not. :hysterical:

Thanks guys!

JAdamz,

Try installing these kexts I have attached. For me, Trackpad works fine before and after sleep, with tap to click.

I have dell m1530 with 10.5.6.

yo! after updating to 10.5.6 I too lost keyboard and mouse support on my m1530. I installed your kexts with kexthelper, rebooted, but still no joy.

Also my sound isnt working, but one thing at a time hehe.

do i need to be in safe mode when reinstalling kexts? Im probably just doing something dumb heh

How do I properly install the PowerManagement.bundle file? When I try to copy it to the file to the /System/Library/SystemConfiguration directory, it asks me to authorize as the administrator and I type in my account password. However, it refuses to replace the file saying I don't have authorization. This is the same password used to install kexts, right? Is there a certain procedure I need to follow to replace .bundles?

Also, I'm planning to use the PowerManagement.bundle from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=14912. Anybody know if this will work properly on the Vostro 1400?

Thanks!

JAdamz: You should just be able to use Superhai's ACPiBattery.kext with the vanilla Power Management bundles and be fine, you shouldn't have to mess around with all different .bundles and that sort of thing.

To all M1530 users: What CPU temperatures are you guys averaging during light tasks such as web browsing/media playing? I'm looking at around 45-50c all the time, which means that the fans are constantly running at a low rev. Anyone else experiencing this or have I gone wrong with a kext somewhere to cause it?

Hi Talisman,

I have tried genericcpupowermanagement, voodoopower, and XNU intelenhancedspeedstep, all give me kernel panic on boot.

I have updated to pc_EFI v9 and set hibernate mode to 0.

any other suggestions?

Thanks.

What is your kernel version? Are you using any modded ACPI kext? And if you can still do the "sysctl -a >>sysctllog.txt" and post the file here.

JAdamz: You should just be able to use Superhai's ACPiBattery.kext with the vanilla Power Management bundles and be fine, you shouldn't have to mess around with all different .bundles and that sort of thing.

To all M1530 users: What CPU temperatures are you guys averaging during light tasks such as web browsing/media playing? I'm looking at around 45-50c all the time, which means that the fans are constantly running at a low rev. Anyone else experiencing this or have I gone wrong with a kext somewhere to cause it?

I average to 38-45 C. And I keep my house quite cold....

But my machine runs coolest in OS X as compared to Vista and Fedora (mainly because of the BCM vs Intel wifi card)

yo! after updating to 10.5.6 I too lost keyboard and mouse support on my m1530. I installed your kexts with kexthelper, rebooted, but still no joy.

Also my sound isnt working, but one thing at a time hehe.

do i need to be in safe mode when reinstalling kexts? Im probably just doing something dumb heh

Have you tried these for keyboard and mouse??

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=41025

For sound: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1010970

Second Time: People, can everyone, I mean everyone, please put their system details in their signature, like some of us have? It is infinitely easier to troubleshoot and find solutions. Thank you.

Thanks for the heads up...I tried installing Superhai's ACPIBattery.kext but it didn't seem to work. I'm using iATKOS v5i though, and if I recall that's not considered a "vanilla" install?

One of the previous times that I installed the OS on the laptop (Vostro 1400) I selected the Battery/Power Display option during the installation setup, and it appeared to work (the batter meter was displayed up top). However I reformatted and re-installed shortly after that, and did not select that option this time around. What kext/bundle was used for iATKOS?

can anyone with a M1330 help me out?

i have updated to 10.5.6-- by raw update+ fixing some kexts. unluckily it now only occasionally wakes up from sleep.

which is a bit annoying since is still have to sleep the m1330 to fix the black display (is there a fix already for this? did i miss it?)

so it might well be that i have to reboot couple of times till sleep works. then using clamshell i can sleep it again couple of times

but as said occasionally it 'crashes' when it wakes up, i.e. the screen stays blank and trying to use the keyboard to do anything

doesnt work either.

another minor issue is that i don't get back the cpu speedstep right. what i want is a quite laptop-- so i want the cpu always

to downstep. before i used cpu2throttler together with some kext-- whatever i did now it doesnt work.

i use vanilla kernel 9.6.0, and installed superhai's ACPIBattery, ClamshellDisplay, VoodooPower and EHCISleepEnabler

hardware: m1330+intel x3100.

O ok, well for some reason injectors didn't work for me. Finally figured out how to use EFi strings and used talismans nvcap with EFI.

Now my hdmi and vga out work great on my M1530 with 8600m gt! Thanks you guys! and Girl! ha

For those of you using efi strings with the Dell M1530 with 8600M GT. I have attached the hex modified with talismans NVCAP settings, open it with EFIStudio and write to com.apple.boot.plist. This will allow VGA and HDMI out. Hope this saves some ppl from having to go through the trouble I did.

This is where you can find the packaged 10.5.5 graphics update: http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20 (This is the mirror which is faster to download: http://www.filedropper.com/9f23installer_1)

This should take care of your nvidia woes. After installing this try the Nvinstaller 0.52 from that site itself. Make sure you choose just the vanilla option and DONT choose the go option. It is not necessary.

dapepisilon, what does the system log say about your sleep woes?

good question-- actually nothing.

if it sleeps correctly i can see stuff like this:

Jan 11 12:26:29 naaila kernel[0]: System Sleep

Jan 11 12:26:41 naaila airportd[51]: FastFinder scanning channels again

Jan 11 12:26:44 naaila kernel[0]: Wake reason = PBTN LID

Jan 11 12:26:42 naaila airportd[51]: Could not find "mSol"

Jan 11 12:26:44 naaila kernel[0]: System Wake

Jan 11 12:26:43 naaila configd[14]: setting hostname to "naaila.local"

if it does not wake up, i see only

Jan 11 12:24:48 naaila loginwindow[60]: Login Window Started Security Agent

Jan 11 12:24:51 localhost configd[14]: setting hostname to "localhost"

Jan 11 12:24:54 localhost kextd[10]: writing kernel link data to /var/run/mach.sym

Jan 11 12:25:46 localhost kernel[0]: npvhash=4095

(here i tried to sleep at 12:24:54 i guess and 12:25:46 is the next boot)

looks like it doesnt sleep well. can you tell me which kexts are involved?

i did a 10.5.3 --> 10.5.6 "vanilla" update, maybe i'm missing some kext

replacements?

Thanks for the help talisman, I do have a modded acpi. I attached the systllog.txt.

I also tried the nvinstaller .52, and used your NVCAP. I get QE/CI but I still can't get vga out working.

Thanks again.

Dell M1530 - 8600m gt - 10.5.6 - Intel Core 2 duo T9300

The modded acpi may be the source of all your woes. Most of Suphai's things work for non modded acpi. And I mean ACPI not AHCI.

What do you mean by VGA not working? All that works is extended mode (multiple monitors) and in the mirror mode only the external monitor works and the internal blacks out. If you are not getting even these then it is a problem

As far as I remember you are using 10.5.6. But your kernel version in 9.5.0 when it should be 9.6.0. I would suggest applying the 10.5.6 update again and getting the kernel version right as that can create problems. I had quite a few problems precisely because of a wrong kernel version. That should take care of the modded ACPI too.

You also don't seem to have Speedstep(If I remember correctly you said it did not work for you). Correct me if I am wrong.

good question-- actually nothing.

if it sleeps correctly i can see stuff like this:

Jan 11 12:26:29 naaila kernel[0]: System Sleep

Jan 11 12:26:41 naaila airportd[51]: FastFinder scanning channels again

Jan 11 12:26:44 naaila kernel[0]: Wake reason = PBTN LID

Jan 11 12:26:42 naaila airportd[51]: Could not find "mSol"

Jan 11 12:26:44 naaila kernel[0]: System Wake

Jan 11 12:26:43 naaila configd[14]: setting hostname to "naaila.local"

if it does not wake up, i see only

Jan 11 12:24:48 naaila loginwindow[60]: Login Window Started Security Agent

Jan 11 12:24:51 localhost configd[14]: setting hostname to "localhost"

Jan 11 12:24:54 localhost kextd[10]: writing kernel link data to /var/run/mach.sym

Jan 11 12:25:46 localhost kernel[0]: npvhash=4095

(here i tried to sleep at 12:24:54 i guess and 12:25:46 is the next boot)

looks like it doesnt sleep well. can you tell me which kexts are involved?

i did a 10.5.3 --> 10.5.6 "vanilla" update, maybe i'm missing some kext

replacements?

Have you done a "pmset -a hibernatemode 0" ??

Can someone please list the Iatkos 5.i options used for install on a Dell M1330? much appreciated.

You will find it a few pages back on a wingrunr21's reply to donyeb's question

Can someone please list the Iatkos 5.i options used for install on a Dell M1330? much appreciated.

Iatkos 5i (Customize)

PC EFI V9

Apple Decrypter

SMBIOS-EFI Air

PS/2 (Very Important)

VGA Nvidia for Laptop

SATA Intel AHCI SATA

NTFS-3G

First of all, thanks for all the help you guys are giving here, makes this an extremely useful forum!

I seem to have the same problem as Nicholaslee mentioned a few posts above, I can't get an external monitor working on my m1530. When I boot with external vga I get two black screens, if I plug in vga and detect displays I get two black screens.

General performance is great, Cinebench rendering 4067 (XPsp3 gives 3741!) and Cinebench openGL 3982 (XPsp3 gives 4352, slightly better). In general everything works smooth, only shutdown problem (don't really mind) and no internet with Marvell and Intel wireless (Truemobile 1505 is on the way).

I got vga-out working once using this tutorial ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear ), but it killed my openGL performance (Cinebench openGL 300) since I got "Core Image" software instead of hardware.

This is my hardware and how I installed everything:

My hardware:

XPS m1530

T7250 2GHz

4GB ram

8600GT 256mb

Intel wireless (dell 1505 shipping )

Sigmatel audio

Marvell Yukon 88E8040

I used iAKTOS_5i for installation and followed dnoyeb's guide (http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t83039-2850.html ), and have a dualboot with XP. For keyboard/trackpad I used "AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext", for sound "AppleHDA.kext.M1530.Allports", for sleep "EHCISleepEnabler.kext", for video "9f23installer" and "NVinstaller v.52". I updated to 10.5.6 manually with a file from Apple.com since I don't have any internet working yet (Truemobile 1505 is on the way).

Hope somebody can help, since it is the last flaw on a great working system!