[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

(Note that I have, indeed, also posted this in the "Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530..." thread, but I thought it might as well belong here, so I'm going to be edgy and repost it. :( )

I'm not having much luck getting OS X to work on my XPS M1530. I'm currently trying iATKOS 5i and am attempting to dual-boot it with Vista (I know this guide doesn't deal with that, but so far I haven't even been able to boot into OS X) - so naturally I installed it on its own partition. Upon rebooting, I received a "boot0: error" message and found somewhere that I just needed to set the OS X partition (the fourth one on the drive) as active. However, since doing so, I just get absolutely no response when trying to start the computer. Just a black screen with a flashing underscore.

Please note that I've already tried the bootloader "trick" which was mentioned, and that this appears to make no difference at all. I can boot into Vista by setting this partition as active and then repairing with a startup disk - but that's hardly what I'm going for. :)

Might anyone have an idea of how to make this work? Thanks in advance!

I'm not having much luck getting OS X to work on my XPS M1530. I'm currently trying iATKOS 5i and am attempting to dual-boot it with Vista (I know this guide doesn't deal with that, but so far I haven't even been able to boot into OS X) - so naturally I installed it on its own partition. Upon rebooting, I received a "boot0: error" message and found somewhere that I just needed to set the OS X partition (the fourth one on the drive) as active. However, since doing so, I just get absolutely no response when trying to start the computer. Just a black screen with a flashing underscore.

Please note that I've already tried the bootloader "trick" which was mentioned, and that this appears to make no difference at all. I can boot into Vista by setting this partition as active and then repairing with a startup disk - but that's hardly what I'm going for. :)

I replied in the other thread.

Finally i updated to 10.5.6, all excepts sound are working as expected, now i´m wondering if a need to delete any kext and if the sound will back again reinstalling the 10.5.5 kexts, in the System Profiler i can see the Audio (built in) device, but no sound at all on speakers or headphones.

beside this, i have an spanish xps1330 with spanish keyboard and i would like to get working the Alt Gr and other "windozed keys" as usual, so i f i press Alt Gr + 1 i get |, and if i press the <> key i get < or >, is this possible? is there any keyboard layout to fix these issues?

while some light arrives i will reinstall the sound kexts again and hope it works. [update] it worked, i've got sound again... :)[/update]

again, thank you very much.

regards from spain.

d.

PS: I agree with wingrunr21, this thread need an update in the front page.

macgirl the front page of this thread REALLY needs updated.

I agree. I feel like a wiki would be a much better method for the front page. We could have it truly driven from user contributions (just like this thread), instead of just macgirl having to stay on top of it all. It would also be updated 10x faster, and could have separate pages for different topics (ie. solutions for x problem). We could still have the forum for questions and discussion, but a wiki with overall information, or factual topics (ie. This will fix x problem, or you need X kext for this install method).

I don't know, just something I've been thinking about lately.

Does anyone know how to get my m1530 to boot iATKOS v5i

I downloaded it, and the md5's match, I put the iso on the dvd and burn it. but when I restart the laptop and boot from dvd it just starts windows normally??

When i do this with my vista dvd it works, just doesn't work with my OSX discs..

I tried v5i & v4i

Neither work...

I am about to try with iATKOS 2.0i

I agree. I feel like a wiki would be a much better method for the front page. We could have it truly driven from user contributions (just like this thread), instead of just macgirl having to stay on top of it all. It would also be updated 10x faster, and could have separate pages for different topics (ie. solutions for x problem). We could still have the forum for questions and discussion, but a wiki with overall information, or factual topics (ie. This will fix x problem, or you need X kext for this install method).

There already is a wiki. The problem is things progress too rapidly on this forum to keep the wiki updated at all times.

There already is a wiki. The problem is things progress too rapidly on this forum to keep the wiki updated at all times.

I don't mean the generic osx86 wiki. The OSx86 project is waay too big to be encompassed in a single wiki imo (or even on subpages, the wiki is huge and the dell page would get lost I think). I'm talking about an osx wiki only for dell laptops.

To be honest just updating the front page of this thread would go a long way towards aiding newbies. Setting up a wiki requires moderators to police it as well as having people who know what they are doing (myself, talisman, macgirl, Superhai, Chrysaor, etc) making sure all the information is correct. The fact of the matter is that most of the infrastructure is already in place in these forums and the information is there it is just difficult to find all of the information you need.

To be honest just updating the front page of this thread would go a long way towards aiding newbies. Setting up a wiki requires moderators to police it as well as having people who know what they are doing (myself, talisman, macgirl, Superhai, Chrysaor, etc) making sure all the information is correct. The fact of the matter is that most of the infrastructure is already in place in these forums and the information is there it is just difficult to find all of the information you need.

Very true. Maybe someone could put up a temporary webpage of what should be on the front page of this thread. Not something that would be advertised as a source of information, but more for you, talisman, macgirl, superhai and Chrysaor to collaborate info for the front page. So, when macgirl gets a chance, she could just copy/paste the new information into the first post? That way, it would not be entirely on macgirl to edit the first post by herself, she could just take 2 minutes and put the new information in the first post. I'd be happy to host something like that for us (we could continue talking about this in PM).

What do you think?

I did this awhile ago. I made a post with all relevant links to the current kexts and such that Dell users need to get their machines up and running. This was to aid macgirl in updating the first post. I just think she's been busy and hasn't had time to update the first page. For the time being my tutorial is the most up-to-date information repository for Dell users.

Hello All-

I am wondering if there is a special kext for Dell 4965wifi card or a special Ionetworking kext. I keep losing my connections to networks after about 5 minutes. computer isn't going to sleep. I have an XPS 1330 and used retail install. Thanks

I am wondering if there is a special kext for Dell 4965wifi card or a special Ionetworking kext. I keep losing my connections to networks after about 5 minutes. computer isn't going to sleep. I have an XPS 1330 and used retail install. Thanks

You mean an Intel 4965? That driver is not mature or stable yet. There is no way to make it work reliably until it is finished.

iwidarwin thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=84072

sorry, I promise I will update it this weekend. Heavy load of work right now :rolleyes:

Let me be the first to thank you macgirl....

Does anyone know how to get my m1530 to boot iATKOS v5i

I downloaded it, and the md5's match, I put the iso on the dvd and burn it. but when I restart the laptop and boot from dvd it just starts windows normally??

When i do this with my vista dvd it works, just doesn't work with my OSX discs..

I tried v5i & v4i

Neither work...

I am about to try with iATKOS 2.0i

Burn the DVD really really really slowly....

I've finally gotten Display Mirroring working on the M1530, the NVInject.kext is attached uses Talisman's NVCAP value and my mirroring string. To get it working on the 1330, try just changing the NVCAP value, and if that doesn't work post back and I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Disclaimer: This cuts 3D performance by roughly half (it's closer to 40-45%) when Mirroring is enabled, but when disabled it reverts back to full speed. My guess is that it's cut in half because it renders the image out twice rather than pulling from the buffer or something similar, but for giving a presentation or demoing anything non 3D intensive it should work great.

Edit #3: Kexts now attached here and about 3 or 4 posts downward with an explanation of how I got it working.

NVinject.kext.zip

Edited by Urthwhyte

I've finally gotten Display Mirroring working on the M1530, the NVInject.kext is attached uses Talisman's NVCAP value and my mirroring string. To get it working on the 1330, try just changing the NVCAP value, and if that doesn't work post back and I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Disclaimer: This cuts 3D performance by roughly half (it's closer to 40-45%) when Mirroring is enabled, but when disabled it reverts back to full speed. My guess is that it's cut in half because it renders the image out twice rather than pulling from the buffer or something similar, but for giving a presentation or demoing anything non 3D intensive it should work great.

Perhaps I just am missing it on this new website look but I don't see any kexts attached.

I am trying to install iatkos 5i for the first time on my other xps m1530.

I can not get the installer to boot up.

I try and boot with -s or -x or -v

all this text scrolls and it locks up.

The last thing displayed it is

Mac OS Version:

Not yet set

Kernel Version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Sat Nov 17 02:56:34 SCT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-1228.0.2~1/BUILD/obj/RELEASEI386

(solid white block)

Anyone have any ideas?? I have made sure my disk was set to ATA

I am going INSANE, I've been up all night last night and all night so far, after work trying to get this to work...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks a ton!

Edit, here are my specs

ProcessorManufacturerIntel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHzClock Speed1.9GHzL2 Cache Size2048

ProcessorClock Speed1.9GHz

MemoryAvailable Memory76.18 %Page File Size3257.9MbAvailable Page File103.4 %Virtual Memory6327.3MbAvailable Virtual Memory88.87 %Memory Slot 1 [DIMM_A] 2048MbMemory Slot 2 [DIMM_B] 1024Mb

MemoryMemory Slot 1 [DIMM_A] 2048MbMemory Slot 2 [DIMM_B] 1024Mb

Memory

Memory

Network CardAdaptersBroadcom 802.11 Multiband Network AdapterMarvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

StorageDriveTypeDrive SizeTotal Available SpaceUsed SpaceC:NTFS232.8Gb214.3Gb18.52GbE:Storage

HardwareTypeDescription

DVD/CD-ROM DrivesOptiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640A ATA Device

Disk DrivesFUJITSU MHZ2250BH G2 ATA Device 232.8GbSD Memory Card 0.007Gb

Display AdaptersNVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 128Mb

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller

Ricoh Memory Stick Controller

Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller

Intel® ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850

ATA Channel 0

Intel® ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828

ATA Channel 0

KeyboardsUSB Human Interface Device

Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mice and Other Pointing DevicesHID-compliant mouse

Dell Touchpad

MonitorsGeneric PnP Monitor - (Standard monitor types)

Sound DevicesSigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

USB ControllersIntel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834

Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835

Intel® ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A

Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830

Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831

Intel® ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832

Intel® ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836

Software

NameVersion

Fingerprint Reader Suite 5.65.6.2.3476

Marvell Miniport Driver10.22.6.3

Dell Resource CD1.10.0000Software

I am trying to install iatkos 5i for the first time on my other xps m1530.

I can not get the installer to boot up.

I try and boot with -s or -x or -v

all this text scrolls and it locks up.

The last thing displayed it is

Anyone have any ideas?? I have made sure my disk was set to ATA

I am going INSANE, I've been up all night last night and all night so far, after work trying to get this to work...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks a ton!

Incorrect kernel version.

Reinstall Mac OS X

Do not choose any kernel options

And don't worry about going INSANE.... by the time you get this up and running you will be ready for psychotherapy or Chains... depending on how bad this hits you.... we all felt the same...

Perhaps I just am missing it on this new website look but I don't see any kexts attached.

He didn't attach any kexts.... as for the looks... go down and change back to insanely beautiful from the drop down next to the RSS tag...(Yes, I thought Id scream too when I saw it and go on a strike!!)

How about some details and kexts Urthwhyte??

Incorrect kernel version.

Reinstall Mac OS X

Do not choose any kernel options

And don't worry about going INSANE.... by the time you get this up and running you will be ready for psychotherapy or Chains... depending on how bad this hits you.... we all felt the same...

(I am running Ubuntu Now)

I haven't gotten to install OS X at all yet. I am not even getting to the installation of it, it panics before that.

Is there anyway to set the kernel on the installation disc before I burn it?

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it.

He didn't attach any kexts.... as for the looks... go down and change back to insanely beautiful from the drop down next to the RSS tag...(Yes, I thought Id scream too when I saw it and go on a strike!!)

Ya I know about changing the looks. I thought I would give it a try though. I think I'm going to change back. This new one is annoying me. Especially since it appears the CSS/Javascript is not entirely bug free (I get quite a few rendering issues with that new theme).

Sorry about not attaching the kexts before, for some reason they wouldn't upload and I was oncall for work, they should be attached down. What I did was go into the NVInject .plist and compared it to one for a desktop 7600 with working mirroring, diffed the plists and then tested settings until I got it working.

Thanks, thats a great find.

Just tested over HDMI and it works. QE is not supported in the notebook screen in mirror mode.

Thanks, thats a great find.

Just tested over HDMI and it works. QE is not supported in the notebook screen in mirror mode.

I'll try and get QE working as well, but as far as I know due to the way NVInject implements the mirroring the chances of me getting it working are fairly slim, but I'll talk to Krazabu tonight and see if he has any input.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I've done that whenever I come back from sleep if I have any USB Storage devices plugged in like a flash drive or external HD it tells me that it was improperly unplugged. I don't recall always getting this error but have no recollection of what I did or what I was doing when I started getting it, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Attached Picture of Message

USB_Error.tiff