[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I started having the infamous NVIDIA Quicktime lag problem after installing iLife '09 (and QT 7.6), so it is affecting M1530 G84Ms (8600M GT) also. Not sure if G86Ms in M1330 are affected as well.

The symptoms are not very obvious; you can mostly tell by a slight stuttering in the dock on application launch and mostly by skipping mouse behaviour.

Last known QT build that is not affected by this issue is 7.5.5 (.13 build). QT 7.5.5 (.24 build) and 7.6 are affected.

Known fixes are flashing the video bios (not recommended) or using NV50 extension from 10.5.5 or using QuickTimeComponents.component from 7.5.5 (.13). I use the old QTComponents and the issues disappeared, haven't seen any incompatibilities with any application so far.

nope, you guys oversimplify.

I do have EHCISleepEnabler installed, and the USBEHCI Plist properly edited.

Closing the lid makes it die, and then i have to do a new boot, with a long forced fsck.

so, i suppose i meant sleep/suspend dont work.

I'm still running 10.5.5.. I think i changed a plist in one of the nvidia kexts to get QI/CE working, and since doing that sleep and suspend have not worked.

If editing the plist is all you did then your solution is very simple.

Get rid of Nvinject, and for added measures get rid of Superhai's EHCI and reverse the changes in USBEHCI.

Then reinstall all these kexts and edit the USBEHCI again.

Make sure you do not reboot in the middle as you will not be able to boot back into the graphics mode.

If you do reboot make sure you know how to install a kext in single user mode with -s

As far as I know just having the Nvinject load is enough to break the shutdown/reboot without even having HA or QGL. Sleep is always possible and I myself have it working with nvinject loading with full QE/CI-HA/QGL

Purlah, have you also checked that you don't have Wake on USB enabled in the BIOS? That will also cause your computer to restart when suspended if it is plugged into an outlet.

I started having the infamous NVIDIA Quicktime lag problem after installing iLife '09 (and QT 7.6), so it is affecting M1530 G84Ms (8600M GT) also. Not sure if G86Ms in M1330 are affected as well.

The symptoms are not very obvious; you can mostly tell by a slight stuttering in the dock on application launch and mostly by skipping mouse behaviour.

Last known QT build that is not affected by this issue is 7.5.5 (.13 build). QT 7.5.5 (.24 build) and 7.6 are affected.

Known fixes are flashing the video bios (not recommended) or using NV50 extension from 10.5.5 or using QuickTimeComponents.component from 7.5.5 (.13). I use the old QTComponents and the issues disappeared, haven't seen any incompatibilities with any application so far.

Chryasor,

No lag here with an 8600M GT on a vanilla 10.5.6 with Quicktime 7.6 installed, Macgirl also reported the same thing in the original mouse lag thread, so it very well could be that there are several different revisions of the G84Ms, which is an especially likely case for people who got their laptops after the news about the Nvidia cards failing came out.

Hy there!

I have a dell vostro 1310 with nvidia 8400M GS

Installed iDeneb 1.3 and it works but I have some problems

selected fixes in ideneb install: ichx, nvinject, power management

after install I managed to make my wifi, hda intel soundcard, alps touchpad (without scrolling) to work, but I still have serious problems ;)

if I start the ffscrolldaemon to have two finger scroll, my trackpad gets terribly slow, and the scrolling isnt too smooth

sleep seems to work, but it wakes up immedietly and the log tell's me that: USB caused wake event (EHCI)

I searched around a lot, tryed lots of fixes and different kernels, but cant any of them helps :S

I can test it if it sleeps without any usb devices because I have an internal usb webcam

and finally my keyboard is interesting too, I known that mac's use a different keyboard map, i downloaded some windows'ish maps, but can't any of them solves my problem, that my "0" key writes the "í" character and the "í" key wont do anything :S so I only can write a "0" usig my FN key and use the blue "numpad" 0...

And, I'm hungarian, so I have a hungarian keyboard layout...

So if anyone can help me, or has configured a same machine, or had simlar problems before please help me, because I'm out of ideas, or luck :S

Thanks!!

It is no lag (mouse or whatever) whatsoever in QT on my Dell m1330, i got changed mb in august due to builtin display issue. Actually it is more smoother than it used to be, before i needed to display sleep when i wanted to watch qt movies. Now it is running at full fps. And mouse movement is smooth as silk.

It is no lag (mouse or whatever) whatsoever in QT on my Dell m1330, i got changed mb in august due to builtin display issue. Actually it is more smoother than it used to be, before i needed to display sleep when i wanted to watch qt movies. Now it is running at full fps. And mouse movement is smooth as silk.

I had ordered my M1530 in late July and received it in August due to a delay, so this lends a bit of credence to my theory that there are a few different revisions of the 8400/8600s out there.

and Superhai, a while back you mentioned that DSDT would be replacing Clamshelldisplay.kext, do you know when that will happen and barring that, could DSDT patching do anything to help get Mirror Mode working?

My M1330 is not affected by the "lag" issue. Even not in my desktop which has a 9800GTX (supposedly one of the G92 cards that are affected). I already reported that.

and Superhai, a while back you mentioned that DSDT would be replacing Clamshelldisplay.kext, do you know when that will happen and barring that, could DSDT patching do anything to help get Mirror Mode working?

Add PNLF to your DSDT, and add built-in property to 1 in your NVinject or strings or whatever. If you have intel gfx, adding the PNLF might be all you need. Then AppleBalcklightDisplay will load and control the AppleClamshellCausesslepp property.

Hey all,

I have a Vostro 1700 that is working pretty much perfectly thanks to this thread. The only problem I've got is that I can't figure out how to get touchpad tapping to work - having to use the mouse buttons themselves is kind of a pain. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Thanks!

My XPS 1330 is from January 08 and I am not getting lag issues at all.

Superhai, do you have a newer version of your DSDT? I just ended up deleting mine because it was wrecking havoc with my USB.

Oh ya, and what is NVResolver? What are its advantages and such over other current injectors?

No lag here with an 8600M GT on a vanilla 10.5.6 with Quicktime 7.6 installed, Macgirl also reported the same thing in the original mouse lag thread, so it very well could be that there are several different revisions of the G84Ms, which is an especially likely case for people who got their laptops after the news about the Nvidia cards failing came out.

Please post your kextstat and version of QuickTimeComponents.component (its in /S/L/QT).

Make sure you have QT running, it doesn't affect when its not launched.

Here is the comparison:

QT 7.6: QT76_Lag.mov

Dock QT application stutters on launch and mouse jumps.

QT 7.6 with QTComponents.components from 7.5.5 (.13): QT75_NoLag.mov

Dock QT application launch is smooth and no mouse jump.

You need the DSDT patch. Try finding Superhai's DSDT.aml for the m1330. You also need the disabler.kext which you might already have. You might also break your keyboard and trackpad after installing 10.5.6 so try these kexts before you update: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=41025.

Thank you very much, i will try this soon, but before, the DSDT.aml depends, more or less on BIOS version? I just downloaded the Superhai's DSDT.aml and in the filename there is a v12 that i don know if is refered to the bios version, i recently updated my xps to A14 trying to solve the nvidia bug, so is it safe to use this file?

I read it, along with this post is my guide and my light, and shows me the way to the exploding fist :)

regards, d.

Hi guys!

After spending days browsing through this thread i managed to install iatkos_5i on my Inspiron 1420, manage to update to 10.5.6. I've got intel X3100 working with efi strings, sata with ahci, efi bootloader , Sigmatel 9228 for sound and the normal stuffs. Manage to boot into leopard without any hassle. But i have a problem though. In order to get sound i need to sleep the laptop which instantly wakes up. After sleep i loses the tap function on the trackpad. Installed kext from this post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1033011 but still couldn't get single tap working after sleep. Its like "tap" function totally disappear after sleep. Now im stuck between 2, its either tap without sound or sound without tapping on the touchpad (have to use the buttons). LOL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Please post your kextstat and version of QuickTimeComponents.component (its in /S/L/QT).

Make sure you have QT running, it doesn't affect when its not launched.

Here is the comparison:

QT 7.6: QT76_Lag.mov

Dock QT application stutters on launch and mouse jumps.

QT 7.6 with QTComponents.components from 7.5.5 (.13): QT75_NoLag.mov

Dock QT application launch is smooth and no mouse jump.

I tested my desktop (G92 card) and the QT player sttuters on launch but mouse lag is almost unnoticeable.

No sttuter or mouse lag launcing iTunes though.

Does the mouse lag should be occur when QT is playing something? I did not get tha also.

I tested my desktop (G92 card) and the QT player sttuters on launch but mouse lag is almost unnoticeable.

No sttuter or mouse lag launcing iTunes though.

Does the mouse lag should be occur when QT is playing something? I did not get tha also.

Hey Mac Girl,

Is their going to be a Studio XPS Thread Soon?

Hey Mac Girl,

Is their going to be a Studio XPS Thread Soon?

Tropics,

The Studio XPS line has entirely different hardware and configurations from the current/older XPS line, the best I can suggest is to backup and try it yourself to see what does and doesn't work.

My XPS 1330 is from January 08 and I am not getting lag issues at all.

Superhai, do you have a newer version of your DSDT? I just ended up deleting mine because it was wrecking havoc with my USB.

Oh ya, and what is NVResolver? What are its advantages and such over other current injectors?

NVResolver is start of a project, it does basically the same thing as nvinject 0.22 for the moment. Furthermore it queries the vga bios to find model name, and you can have same plist for both mobile and desktop machine. Plan is to probe the card for more information and be more generic. Unfortunately information is very sparse about the nvidia vga bios, and pci registers.

I am not sure which version of dsdt that I posted here, and which I have now. But I have modified it somewhat I am sure. I can upload it here later.

NVResolver is start of a project, it does basically the same thing as nvinject 0.22 for the moment. Furthermore it queries the vga bios to find model name, and you can have same plist for both mobile and desktop machine. Plan is to probe the card for more information and be more generic. Unfortunately information is very sparse about the nvidia vga bios, and pci registers.

I am not sure which version of dsdt that I posted here, and which I have now. But I have modified it somewhat I am sure. I can upload it here later.

Superhai, if we were to give you the DSDT of the M1530s could you make some of the changes you've done to the 1330 and possibly fix the leftside USB bugs? I udnerstand you're incredibly busy with VoodooPower.kext and all of the ACPI stuff so even if it took a few months I'm sure all of with an M1530 would be very grateful.

that will be really nice, i´m terrified of updating to 10.5.6 and i would like to get the latest and most updated data available, thank you very much.

Hy there!

I have a dell vostro 1310 with nvidia 8400M GS

Installed iDeneb 1.3 and it works but I have some problems

selected fixes in ideneb install: ichx, nvinject, power management

after install I managed to make my wifi, hda intel soundcard, alps touchpad (without scrolling) to work, but I still have serious problems :whistle:

if I start the ffscrolldaemon to have two finger scroll, my trackpad gets terribly slow, and the scrolling isnt too smooth

sleep seems to work, but it wakes up immedietly and the log tell's me that: USB caused wake event (EHCI)

I searched around a lot, tryed lots of fixes and different kernels, but cant any of them helps :S

I can test it if it sleeps without any usb devices because I have an internal usb webcam

and finally my keyboard is interesting too, I known that mac's use a different keyboard map, i downloaded some windows'ish maps, but can't any of them solves my problem, that my "0" key writes the "í" character and the "í" key wont do anything :S so I only can write a "0" usig my FN key and use the blue "numpad" 0...

And, I'm hungarian, so I have a hungarian keyboard layout...

So if anyone can help me, or has configured a same machine, or had simlar problems before please help me, because I'm out of ideas, or luck :S

Thanks!!

Try changing the keyboard layout in System preferences -> International.

For ffscroll see here... http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

that will be really nice, i´m terrified of updating to 10.5.6 and i would like to get the latest and most updated data available, thank you very much.

[spanish] No necesitas DSDT para la actualización a 10.5.6 pero vea que tiene disabler.kext. Tambien, ver no es el verbo correcto para esta frase, si?[/spanish]

Translation: You don't need DSDT for the 10.5.6 update, but check you have the disabler.kext

I'm unable to open STAC9228_0x83847616.zip. On my Mac, it says "Error 1 - Operation Not Permitted", and if I try to open it in Windows, it says that the file is corrupt. I can't get access to another copy through Google or anything either and I need the file to make everything on my m1530 work. Is anyone else having this issue?

I'm unable to open STAC9228_0x83847616.zip. On my Mac, it says "Error 1 - Operation Not Permitted", and if I try to open it in Windows, it says that the file is corrupt. I can't get access to another copy through Google or anything either and I need the file to make everything on my m1530 work. Is anyone else having this issue?

If you're using the M1330, there's a set of kexts to use on page 3 or 4 of the 1330/1530 AppleHDA thread, or if you have an M1530, there is a fixed AppleHDA.kext by me that you can download and install.