If you won the lottery....

Ongeloof

79 posts in this topic

Although some of us would say "Oh, i would give all, or most of it to charity" we all know, charity starts at home, and when its come to cutting the mustard, we just wouldn't do it....

But what i wanna find out, is what the majority of this community would do if they won £15M ($30M)...

Would you make the whole switch and buy every Apple product, like i would, or simple horde it and live off the interest.

tell us here.

Think Mark

first, i would not tell anyone. one of our family friends won the lottery, and it tore their extended family apart because they refused to give everyone 1 million dollars. then i would buy two houses, one on the beach, and one in the mountains. both tricked out with allot of solar panels and macs. then i would pay someone to make me an efficient air powered compact suv. and then i'd find a job, because no one likes sitting around all the time. i'd also buy an ass load of montana spray paint, and paint all over sf and the surrounding areas

If I had $30 million, I'd buy a small decent house in a nice location and pay it off. Then I'd buy a small efficient but nice car and pay that off. I'd buy the new Mac Pro, and some other Apple goodies as well as a new TV etc. I'd live off of the rest. If I had nothing better to do (career, girlfriend etc) I'd backpack across western Europe for a while.

I don't know about the lotteries in England, but here in California they frequently reach prices of $180million(£90million)+. But anyways, I would buy some tricked out house with lots of solar panels and I would buy the most expensive Mac Pro and a MacBook Air with SSD. I would also buy a Tesla Motors car, which is all electric. Then I don't know what I would do. Maybe.....go places. Yeah :D

This is similar to a question I was once asked, which was what I would do if I had one billion dollars. I said I'd do whatever I would do with one million dollars, times a thousand, ha-ha-ha. There are some things money can't buy, but for everything else, there's $1,000,000,000! ha-ha-ha.

Very Imaginative Numberzz, but everybody is thinking along the lines of Mac Pro's and MBA's and homes and SSD's... aiming a bit too small, especially with $180M....

Obviously, every Mac out, is on the list, and so is the iPhone, and the HP blackbird 002, for beauty purposes, i wouldn't use it... unless it put OSx86 on it... :D:P;) A ferrari Spider, a villa in Cupertino, preferably near to 1 infinite loop...:) and a villa in New York, Manhattan and maybe somewhere in England.. a big old château in france and a load of shares in Apple. now i have got all the common idea's let move on to renovations: a state of the art complex for my 17 pet rats, and 2 dogs, totally kitted out homes, you know the drill, talking mirror {censored} in these homes:) and umm.... maybe an iMac in the bathroom, so you can talk to Bruce (a voice on OS X) while you have a dump... though all he says to me is "it sure feels good to be inside this fancy computer..." and when you hear the "Funk" sound on OS X, thats him trying to get out... :)

Pretty small idea's too, though maybe i would go to france and develop a way to extend human life, or create a flying car....

What ever... that hoarding idea doesn't sound so bad, all ^^^ is {censored} tiring....

@ Colonel Lol ! now thats creative...

though, BG, would do better as a {censored} wiper...:)

Think Mark

Or with £180, you could start a new life, like going from Colonel to chelsea dude...:P

there is no doubt that its a life changing amount f money, but have you noticed, that half the people in debt, own an apple product...:)

Think Mark

I'd buy me and my mom new cars, probably Acura TL's, and pay off my mom's condo. I'd get the Time Capsule and a decked out MBP too. Shove $100K into the bank (cause that's the max they insure) and throw the rest into a Swiss bank account, cause no one {censored} with the Swiss and their bank.

I'd buy me and my mom new cars, probably Acura TL's, and pay off my mom's condo. I'd get the Time Capsule and a decked out MBP too. Shove $100K into the bank (cause that's the max they insure) and throw the rest into a Swiss bank account, cause no one {censored} with the Swiss and their bank.

LMAO, very good idea..;)

wouldn't any " off shore " account be ok? Swiss is very specific...;)

Think Mark

and then i'd find a job, cause no one likes sitting around all the time

Sitting around? There's 58 million miles² of land on Earth to discover (and even more if you like scuba diving)

You wouldn't be able to see everything in the world, even in your lifetime. :(

Pick up money -> Apple Store -> Buy MBP and iPod touch -> Buy new pro camera -> Say goodbye to folks at home -> 3 months travel (with train, no car:D) -> come home -> say hello -> go to Stanford -> buy the new MBP when it will be out -> still going to Stanford -> get a job -> .............

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few:

1. Make art films.

2. Make artistic video games with {censored} characters, particularly RPGs that aren't dumbed down or tedious blood baths. A competitor for The Sims, too.

3. Record non-classical original music and covers.

4. Hire orchestrators and composers to help me with a piano concerto for the piano I invented, as well as a symphony with voice and organ.

5. Build the piano I invented.

6. Create a wood racquet grass court tennis tournament and get top professionals to play by making the prize money high. Also, run wood events with retired pros like Navratilova and McEnroe.

7. Build a junior high/high school/college for {censored} teens who are thrown out of their homes.

8. Start a publishing company and publish my poetry and quotes/anecdotes/observations, as well as unpublished writers.

9. Build and work with a team to create a desktop operating system from scratch.

10. Work with a flexible conductor, pianist, and orchestra for the recording of pieces I love the way I envision them.

11. Build a complex for homeless young {censored} adults, so they have a place to stay and get on their feet.

12. Produce film adaptations of Ursula Le Guin's original three Earthsea novels as well as the Lathe of Heaven.

13. Produce a film adaptation of Gogol's novel Dead Souls.

14. Adapt Emily Dickinson's poetry to music and release a CD.

15. Release a soda line with much less sugar, no unhealthy preservatives like benzoate, natural flavors, no artificial dyes, and real sugar instead of fructose corn syrup.

16. Open an Indian restaurant chain with healthy fare in the places I lived and elsewhere.

17. Release an organic low-fat less sugar ice cream line that features a mint without chocolate, for those like me who are allergic to chocolate. Natural flavors and no artificial dyes.

18. Release an organic blueberry juice. It's easy to find blueberry juice, but it's never organic.

19. Build an art museum that would house some of my work, my mothers, and the work of other unknown artists.

20. Build a housing complex for select family and friends.

21. Create and produce a new sci-fi TV series that's far better than the crud that's on now.

22. Create a TV channel to compete with Fox News, MSNBC, CBS, and NBC—Nightly news and the like without the American corporate veneer and censorship. Tough news that refuses to ignore the stories the mainstream media does, give politicians a pass, or present propaganda as news like Fox. The nightly news would feature no ad breaks during the program, just a small non-animated billboard along the bottom of the screen.

23. Fund and help create research concerning human sexuality, since the Bush administration has stifled research in this area.

24. Organize a campaign to get rid of the Bush administration's homophobic policies, like the ban on sperm donation by {censored} men.

25. Fund pigment chemistry research to try to develop better pigments for artists and the industry.

26. Create a business that creates pigments that are no longer available for artistic use like manganese blue.

Also, a quick grammar tip. Although people say things like "If you won the lottery" frequently, a better way to say it is "If you were to win the lottery".

2. Make artistic video games with {censored} characters, particularly RPGs that aren't dumbed down or tedious blood baths. A competitor for The Sims, too.

Artistic video games that are leet:

Half Life and related expansions (think of all the civilians that are {censored})

Half Life 2 and Episodes I & II (~8/100 civilians can be considered {censored})

TES III: Morrowind (~8/100 civilians can be considered {censored})

TES IV: Oblivion (~8/100 civilians can be considered {censored})

KotOR ({censored} romance options, ~8/100 civilians can be considered {censored})

KotOR II ({censored} romance options, ~8/100 civilians can be considered {censored})

Mass Effect ({censored} romance options, ~8/100 civilians can be considered {censored})

Fable ({censored} marriage, {censored} characters, bisexuality.)

Bioshock (~8/100 people you kill can be considered {censored})

^^^The video gaming community is actually quite tolerant as is (not so much the people playing the games online). If you're going to make RPGs, I'll be sure to play :rolleyes:

@Superstition: A lot of your post have been about {censored} in general. If you don't mind my asking, where you severely mistreated? Are you regularly around intolerance or something? (not trying to offend, just curious)

A lot of your post have been about {censored} in general.

I've never played a game with a {censored} character in it. Online games are not something I've played. Therefore, I feel it would be a good thing to be willing to have {censored} characters, and not just in minor or sidekick roles.

What would be particularly interesting is for the Square FF7 "determine the character's sexuality" system to be more fairly and fully implemented, not used to reinforce homophobia via sophomoric humor.

Since heterosexuality is the assumed default, when someone like myself posts about {censored} people, it seems excessive. It's not excessive, though. If the invisible "heterosexuality assumption" resulted in posts with the word hetero constantly, it would be far more prevalent a word than me posting about {censored} issues.

As for homophobia/mistreatment... absolutely. One example of practically countless examples is the {censored}-baiting used by the Republican Party with its constitutional amendment to prevent me from having my 10 year marriage legally recognized. Having kids substitute {censored} for bad/stupid in everyday speech isn't so pleasant, either.

• 3 weeks later...

The big issues? Hahahaha

As soon as i get the money, i would be starting to make hobbie movies.

I would make a really big party...or two...or three. Lot of alcohol (like bathing in it), Zoe the band playing (Mexican band), or Cafe tacuva, dont know. Some pistol shots to the air (cool, uh?). I would pay a really cool travel with all of my friends to Cancun, or to another country, and after that, one with my family.

I would make of Santa Clauss with all those boys living in the streets.

I'd buy a really cool house for my mom, its her dream, and a really cool car for my dad. For my brother, i would buy him whatever he wants.

Then i would buy a house (a modest one), and give it to the first poor person i see. He would be nuts, just like me winning the lottery.

All the rest? To have a monster fu+cking killer PC with OS X, or just a Brand new Mac Pro, and one of these: little departament, or a house far away the city. That place would have lot of beer (like one or two for a day), and i would be writing, composing, painting, till the money is over (i would just need to pay basic services, and my food, and the person who makes the food -a beauty rural woman, of course-). Who knows? maybe my music makes me living.

Oh god, now i want lottert :angel:

I have really not much desire for a huge amount of money.

As it has been already said, money can't buy what matters most, for instance:

1)Health if you have certain illnesses (I suffer from CFS)

2)Make you any younger

3)A nice, loving partner who isn't only after your money.

• Like 1

I'd pay-off my debts and all my immediate family member's debts, probably cousins I liked too, fix-up their cars, buy them homes if they don't already own them, pay for private education and college for them (damnit aunt Sandra, six kids, what the hell were you thinking?! You're going to bankrupt me!), probably spend a million of it on luxuries for myself, friends, family (everyone I like would get a 24" iMac for their household... so that's about ten or so) and invest the rest (should have well-over $20mil left) in savings/stocks/bonds/foreign markets/gold so I can live off of the interesting from savings/revenue from investing in case I ever get injured or the job market goes south.

I'd not be one of those idiots that manage to get themselves into debt after winning the opportunity of a life-time... set things right, do a few nice things, and be smart with it. Nothing eccentric.