P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

Strange, shutdown/restart issue was to be fixed installing pc efi v9 from universal installer

about your graphics card, it is reported to have some issues

Good It worked there

Update: It Worked

Ok after some trial and error i finally got to work and found out what the problem was.

The problem i had was a blue screen after the apple logo, first i thought it was a specific kext, but after some trial and error this didn't work. Then i found out that the video driver was another one i always used. So i did everything like the tutorial except the resolution setting, video driver and none of the extra kexts. Instead i installed the driver for the ati 3870 from the Iatkos 10.5.5 boot dvd and nothing else and that did the trick for me.

It booted fine into 10.5.6. Afterworth i could install some kexts with osxtools like ethernet, sound, ps/2 keyboard all from pcwiz website. The only thing is, shutdown still doesn't work, i get the hold power button message. I tried a lot of different workarrounds but still nothing.

Hi,

For some reason I can't seem to burn this boot cd properly. I have used toast and a few linux apps.

The cd is simply not read as bootable for some reason.

If anyone has had this problem and can recommend a burning parameter please tell me.

Thank You in Adavance.

I had to use a different dvd dl burner to get it to burn succesfull ( LG external usb). Normal dvd+r's give no problems but my standard drive didn't like the dual layer media i guess.

Jimmy or anybody else: did you do anything to the bios besides the default settings? I have audio and ide disabled because i don't need them. But i think i'm gonna try to intall with those settings enabled.

I ask this because i tryed different video injectors and efi strings. The efi strings lock my machine almost completly.

And i should be able to start it in -x safemode but it doesn't so i think there is something else that is bothering my machine. Although it only shows when i use a 'driver' for my videocard.

Btw with injectors i can remove them in single user mode but efi trings i can't edit because nano tells me the file is readonly. So i have to reinstall the system when i want to use a different efi string. Haven't tryed the gfx strings though because the guides i found are not really transprant. Yet

Thanks!

Try to get a solution from the HCL, the ..GS video cards from nvidia need more work I guess

try looking here for a solution for your card (link)

Thanks!

Well, with toast 9, I just drag the ISO to the window, and click burn, normaly using a DVD-RW media...

weird, very... I myself installed to an external drive using this ISO, give it a try...

Hi,

For some reason I can't seem to burn this boot cd properly. I have used toast and a few linux apps.

The cd is simply not read as bootable for some reason.

If anyone has had this problem and can recommend a burning parameter please tell me.

Thank You in Adavance.

Thanks Jimmy. I bought this card because of it being used correct in de HCL.

Can you tell me anything about your bios settings? Or are they all standard? I read somewhere that gray apple screen freezes have something to do with bos settings.

Try to set to defaults, then enable ahci if it is not, if you don´t see the option it is probably set as default

Try disabling the LAN, and make some tests...

use -v to see where it gets stuck

Thanks Jimmy. I bought this card because of it being used correct in de HCL.

Can you tell me anything about your bios settings? Or are they all standard? I read somewhere that gray apple screen freezes have something to do with bos settings.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

ASUS P5K-SE - Leopard 10.5.6 (updated 01-10-2009)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

MY HACKINTOSH :P

MotherBoard = ASUS P5K-SE (fully working) (ok)

NIC (Onboard) = Attansic L1 Ethernet (ok)

Wireless = D-Link DWL-G520 (ok)

BlueTooth = Usb Bluetooth Linksys USBBT100 (ok)

Processor = Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.5 GHZ (ok)

CPU Cooler = Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooler (ok)

Memory = 4x Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 MHZ 1024 MB (ok)

Graphics = XFX Geforce 8600GT 256 mb GDDR3 (ok)

Display = 20" Apple Cinema Display (M9177LL/A) (ok)

Hard Disk = 2X SAMSUNG SATA II 500 GB 32MB Cache (ok)

DVD+RW = 2X SATA PIONEER (ok)

Mouse = Mighty Mouse Wired (MB112LL/A) (ok)

Keyboard = Apple Wired Aluminum Keyboard (MB110LLA) (ok)

PROS :rolleyes:

• WORKS WITH OTHER P5K MOBOS (P35 & ICH9 CHIPSETS)
  • THE RETAIL SYSTEM IS FASTER THAN THE ONES YOU GET BY USING PATCHED VERSIONS.. (KALYWAY, IDENEB, IAKTOS...)
  • THE UPDATE PROCEDURE IS EASIER, USING SYSTEM UPDATE
  • THE SHUTDOWN FEATURE WORKS 100%

CONS :(

• NOT IN ONE DVD INSTALL, YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD EVERYTHING FIRST
  • NEED TO FOLLOW SOME PROCEDURES, BY THE BOOK
  • NEED TO GET AND BURN A DUAL LAYER DVD (FOR THE RETAIL VERSION DVD)

• YOU WILL NEED:

1. BOOT 123 CD IMAGE - P5K CLASS MOBO :P (link)
  2. INSTALATION DVD - OS X Leopard 10.5 FINAL Retail (search in www.mininova.org) BitTorent? What is BitTorrent? :gun:
  3. MAC OS X 10.5.6 COMBO UPDATE (link)
  4. KEXTS PACK INSTALLER (link)
  5. UNIVERSAL OSx86 INSTALLER (link)
  6. DSDT Patcher GUI (link)

BEFORE STARTING, CHECK YOUR VIDEO CARD COMPATIBILITY!!! (link)

SO, LET´S START... :unsure:

1- DOWNLOAD "EVERYTHING" FIRST

• BURN THE BOOT 123 FOR P5K MOBOS CD FIRST...
  • BURN THE INSTALATION DVD WITH NERO BURNING ROOM, TOAST TITANIUM OR WHATHEVER.. ;)
  • COPY THE NECESSARY FILES TO A CD, DVD OR PENDRIVE!

2- BOOT WITH BOOT 123 DVD, AFTER LOADING, PRESS "ESC" THEN REPLACE IT WITH THE DE RETAIL LEOPARD 10.5 DVD, PRESS ENTER, AND PRESS ENTER AGAIN, LET IT LOAD, AFTER BOOTING CHOOSE THE LANGUAGE TO USE, BLA, BLA, BLA!

BEFORE INSTALLING, YOU SHOULD SET UP YOUR HARD DISK PARTITION AS GUID, SELECT THE WHOLE DISK, IN OPTIONS YOU´LL SEE GUID, MBR, ETC..., CHOOSE GUID, AND GIVE IT A NAME!

3- IN THE INSTALATION OPTIONS SELECT THE PRINTER DRIVER IF YOU NEED

4- PROBABLY YOU WILL HAVE AN INSTALATION ERROR IN THE END, IGNORE IT! AND REBOOT

5 - BOOT WITH THE BOOT 123 DVD FOR P5K MOBOS AGAIN! PRESS ESC AFTER LOADING, AND NOW YOU WILL TYPE A NUMBER FOR THE HARD DISK YOU HAVE INSTALLED MAC OS X IN, FOR THE FIRST HARD DISK TYPE " 80 ", FOR THE SECON HARD DISK TYPE " 81 " AND PRESS ENTER.. IT WILL BOOT MAC OS X IN RETAIL MODE.

6- YOU WILL SEE THE FANCY VIDEO FROM APPLE, CONFIGURE YOUR ACCOUNT, BLA, BLA, BLA...

7- NOW RUN THE MAC OS 10.5.6 COMBO UPDATE, AND INSTALL IT! DO NOT REBOOT YET! -_-

8- RUN THE DSDT Patcher GUI, SELECT MAC OS X, THEN THE BOOT DEVICE, AND CLICK RUN DSDT Patcher

9- AFTER THAT, YOU NEED TO RUN THE UNIVERSAL OSx86 INSTALLER " UInstaller.app "

• CHOOSE THE HARD DRIVE TO APPLY TO:
  • SET THE BOOT TIME THING.. (ONLY IF YOU NEED)
  • SET NATIVE BOOT RESOLUTION.. (MINE IS 1440 X 900)
  • CHECK THE INSTALL PC_EFI_V9 OPTION... (NECESSARY, VERY!)
  • APPLY ETHERNET EFI STRING....
  • APPLY EFI STRING FOR VIDEO CARD (SELECT YOURS)

10- INSTALL CUSCOM KEXTS FROM HD, RUN THE P5K-SE INSTALLER (link) AND REBOOT WITHOUT THE BOOT 123 CD/DVD!

*NOTE 1:IF YOU WANT SLEEP TO WORK, TRY THIS SOLUTION (link)

*NOTE 2:IF YOU ENABLE SLEEP, BE AWARE THAT LAN (ATTANSIC) WILL NOT WORK RIGHT AFTER IT, TO DO SO, OPEN THE TERMINAL AND TYPE " attansic " TO REENABLE IT! :angel:

11- AS A FINAL STEP, YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO SET SELECT "LINE OUT" IN THE SOUND PREFERENCES LOCATED IN THE SYSTEM PREFERENCES :whistle:

NOW YOU SHOULD HAVE A FULLY WORKING SYSTEM, OF COURSE, IF YOU HAVE DONE EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK... TRY NOT TO MESS THINGS UP! :gun:

FOR OTHER P5K CLASS MOBOS...

AUDIO

• P5K-SE, P5K, P5K PRO, P5K SE/EPU, P5K WS, P5K/EPU, P5KC & P5KR (ALC883 INCLUDED IN THE P5K-SE.ZIP AND INSTALLER)
  • P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP, P5K Premium/WiFi-AP, P5K3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP, P5K3 Premium/WiFi-AP, P5K-E & P5K-E/WIFI-AP USE ADI® AD1988B 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC (link)

WIRELESS

• P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP (link)

KEYBOARD LAYOUTS

• BRAZILIAN ABNT2 KEYBOARD (link)
  • USINTERNATIONAL KEYBOARD LAYOUT (link)
  • LATIN AMERICAN KEYBOARD LAYOUT (link)

KEXTS INCLUDED IN THE INSTALLER

• ACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • AppleDecrypt.kext
  • AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext
  • ApplePS2Controller.kext
  • AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext
  • AppleVIAATA.kext
  • AttansicL1Ethernet.kext
  • Disabler.kext
  • HDAEnabler.kext
  • IO80211Family.kext
  • LegacyAppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext

CHANGELOG:

12-21-2008

• ALC883 WORKING KEXTS ARE INCLUDED IN THE PACK, NO NEED FOR PATCH :D

• KEXTS HAVE AND INSTALLER OF IT´S OWN :D

• REMOVED THE "EHCISleepEnabler.kext", I GAVE UP SLEEP, IT IS TROUBLING :( ...
  • ADDED THIS CHANGELOG :P

12-23-2008

• AFTER INTALL, YOU´LL NEED TO SELECT "LINE OUT" IN SOUND PREFERENCES PANE

12-27-2008

• ADDED THE WIRELESS INSTALLER LINK FOR P5K DELUXE WIFI

01-02-2009

• THE P5KFamily.iso NOW SUPPORTS IDE DEVICES FOR INTALLATION

01-10-2009

• Updated the P5KFamily.iso (Now based in the original boot123 projetc iso)
  • Sleep give a try failled, back to the non sleep system (I really do no use it though)
  • Added links for some keyboard layouts...

ENJOY YOUR MAC OS X LEOPARD 10.5.6 ;) AND BUY AN ORIGINAL RETAIL COPY

C YA!

Has anyone gotten the P5K Deluxe WiFi card to work in Leopard 10.5.5? Mine is recognized in my system profiler as a USB device. I've installed a newer version of the

driver posted here that I got from Realtek after e-mailing them. The extension is in the

extentions folder,but I don't know how to configuer it. The version offered here has a utilitiy program,but I couldn't get it to connect. Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thank you for the help but I am sorry to say that I have encounter two new problems.

I got it working yay! Thanks for the advice. Then I made a boot-132 usb booting disc and everything minus sound was working. Then when I updated to 10.5.6 I lost my network card.

I am using the on-board ethernet in the Asus P5K/EPU and my Sound is 883. I thought I added the kexts properly but it is still not working.

Does anybody know which kexts I should remove from the boot disc and which to add.

Cheers

PS. Also I plan on moving this to munky efi partition setup so do I have to edit an efi string or something.

My wifi works but only with the realtek app, and not with airport, i have not found a solution for this.

Has anyone gotten the P5K Deluxe WiFi card to work in Leopard 10.5.5? Mine is recognized in my system profiler as a USB device. I've installed a newer version of the

driver posted here that I got from Realtek after e-mailing them. The extension is in the

extentions folder,but I don't know how to configuer it. The version offered here has a utilitiy program,but I couldn't get it to connect. Any help or suggestions welcome.

The 123 Boot dont work to me... i`ve downloaded from first page, burn into a CDROM... but in my P5k-Premium dont boot, show me the message "... insert other boot disc and press a key" I insert the mac disc after this, but continues with this message... please, help me.... Sorry by my english...

It works fine here, but in any case, get any other p35 chipset iso from boot123 project page

The 123 Boot dont work to me... i`ve downloaded from first page, burn into a CDROM... but in my P5k-Premium dont boot, show me the message "... insert other boot disc and press a key" I insert the mac disc after this, but continues with this message... please, help me.... Sorry by my english...

Sorry man, but some IDE DVDs are not supported, get a SATA DVD and no errors will occur!

I forgot to say, i use a IDE DVD.

My wifi works but only with the realtek app, and not with airport, i have not found a solution for this.

so your using the driver from this thread? This seems to be a driver for Tiger. Thats funny;Realtek has Leopard drivers that don't work. Maybe thats why you have to e-mail them to get it. I'll try it

again.

Thanks gielie

My boot123 wont work at all.

Its says that its not bootable.

I even tried the 123 iso in a virtualmachine, it couldnt boot it either...??

EDIT:

I Tried an other boot 123 disk, DellMiniboot123v7.8, it worked in the virtualmachine as a iso... something is wrong with the p5k family 123 image...

EDIT2:

I downloaded this

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=144959

Worked in virtualmachine too, trying for real soo

Well.. it booted, but it was an error.

Topic hoster should reupload the 123 image again, the file could be currupted

My boot123 wont work at all.

Its says that its not bootable.

I even tried the 123 iso in a virtualmachine, it couldnt boot it either...??

EDIT:

I Tried an other boot 123 disk, DellMiniboot123v7.8, it worked in the virtualmachine as a iso... something is wrong with the p5k family 123 image...

EDIT2:

I downloaded this

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=144959

Worked in virtualmachine too, trying for real soo

Well.. it booted, but it was an error.

Topic hoster should reupload the 123 image again, the file could be currupted

I agree with this poster. About a month ago I grabbed the BOOT123 image from the original link provided and it worked, but I never got around to the install (I booted the 123 disc but thats as far as I got, got busy with life :) ). There's got to be something wrong with the image; 7 blank coasters and two SATA drives later I've given up trying to get it to boot. The reason I'm grabbing all the files again is I'm ready to give it a go and it looks like most, if not all the files I grabbed a month ago have been updated.

btw, somebody mentioned grabbing another P35 BOOT123 image from the project page...couldn't find it ;) . But I'll still wait for a good P5KSE Boot123 image after all.

Cheers

Try this one..

(link)

I agree with this poster. About a month ago I grabbed the BOOT123 image from the original link provided and it worked, but I never got around to the install (I booted the 123 disc but thats as far as I got, got busy with life :D ). There's got to be something wrong with the image; 7 blank coasters and two SATA drives later I've given up trying to get it to boot. The reason I'm grabbing all the files again is I'm ready to give it a go and it looks like most, if not all the files I grabbed a month ago have been updated.

btw, somebody mentioned grabbing another P35 BOOT123 image from the project page...couldn't find it :( . But I'll still wait for a good P5KSE Boot123 image after all.

Cheers

Try this one..

(link)

heh, "burnme.iso"...with blind faith I burned it and...it worked! Thank you for the link. Now I'm getting the dreaded "EBIOS read error........" and from what I've just culled from a quick search it appears it should go away if I make another burn at a slower speed. And away we go....... I shoulda stuck with my working Kaliway(sp?) 10.5.2 install but NOOOOOOO, I saw this thread and have pretty much the same hardware and here I am :blink:

cheers

I use this app ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/87_Mac10.4_v1309.zip

workes fine only no airport support

so your using the driver from this thread? This seems to be a driver for Tiger. Thats funny;Realtek has Leopard drivers that don't work. Maybe thats why you have to e-mail them to get it. I'll try it

again.

Thanks gielie

There are 2 possibilities, your dvd is faulty for booting or your mobo has a glitch...

the ISO I made should deal with the ebios error.. but you said you can´t use it....

heh, "burnme.iso"...with blind faith I burned it and...it worked! Thank you for the link. Now I'm getting the dreaded "EBIOS read error........" and from what I've just culled from a quick search it appears it should go away if I make another burn at a slower speed. And away we go....... I shoulda stuck with my working Kaliway(sp?) 10.5.2 install but NOOOOOOO, I saw this thread and have pretty much the same hardware and here I am ;)

cheers

There are 2 possibilities, your dvd is faulty for booting or your mobo has a glitch...

the ISO I made should deal with the ebios error.. but you said you can´t use it....

Hi Jimmy, I wasn't exactly clear in my response to you. Your ISO worked perfectly, it was my OSX install disc that had the problems. A reburn was required and all went fairly well so, again, thanks for that.

I found I had to move my Logitech Bluetooth receiver right to the computer though as the keyboard and mouse wasn't being recognized in the USB hub (as it is under Windows). After a fairly painless install, I'm up and running but I now have to figure out how to get the Bluetooth receiver to work under MAC through the USB hub. I think its related to a USB issue rather than a Bluetooth issue as I know the BT receiver worked off the hub in Kaliway.