P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

Well I think sleep is a lot more trickier than I have thought... Still no answer to that question, I did a combination of setting, and only temporary suport... sorry!

Well Jimmy got a full working retail on the p5k-se here :(

Only sleep isn't working... It hangs at sleep and wont wake up...

How do you configured the BIOS: S1 (POS) only or S3 only or Auto??

Thanks Jimmy Mallman for the great guide for Asus P5K. Just spend hours and hours searching the forum to get an osx86 up and running, and I was allmost there, and then i happily found your great guide, thanks again! ;)

I now got an fully funtional retail osx 10.5.6 with all hardware working, well just almost?

I cant set the native resulution for my monitor eg. 1440x900?

I cant choose my monitors native resolution(1440x900) in the monitor setup in system settings!

I have tried to set the option for the native boot resolution in the universal osx86installer, but with no luck, i defaults to 1280x768!

What do i have to do to set the right native resolution?

My specs are;

Motherboard: Asus P5K

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo 2.66

RAM: 2 x 2 GB VTech

GFX: XFX Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB (applied via EFI strings in the Universal osx86 installer)

HD: Samsung 400 GB + Maxtor 500 GB + External WD Mypassport 500 GB (at the moment running the oxs86) Soon i get an dedicated internal drive for that!

all set up in perfect dual boot with Vista with EasyBCD 1.7.2

Best regards, Jonit

excuse me, mr jimmy, but what if you want to multiboot ur pc? i used to have kalyway 10.5.2 and manually updated that to 10.5.4 10.5.5 never seems to work right. im considering following your steps. my mac partition is in the second partition of my first hard disk.

I got dual boot working with EasyBCD 1.7.2!

Jonit

Welcome! Yes you may change the native resolution, use de tool posted in this topic. If it does not work, ajust the resolution manualy, it is stored in the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

I can´t tell about dual boot, because I only have mac installed here... I do not need windows anymore :angel:

Thanks Jimmy Mallman for the great guide for Asus P5K. Just spend hours and hours searching the forum to get an osx86 up and running, and I was allmost there, and then i happily found your great guide, thanks again! ;)

I now got an fully funtional retail osx 10.5.6 with all hardware working, well just almost?

I cant set the native resulution for my monitor eg. 1440x900?

I cant choose my monitors native resolution(1440x900) in the monitor setup in system settings!

I have tried to set the option for the native boot resolution in the universal osx86installer, but with no luck, i defaults to 1280x768!

What do i have to do to set the right native resolution?

My specs are;

Motherboard: Asus P5K

CPU: Intel Core 2 duo 2.66

RAM: 2 x 2 GB VTech

GFX: XFX Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB (applied via EFI strings in the Universal osx86 installer)

HD: Samsung 400 GB + Maxtor 500 GB + External WD Mypassport 500 GB (at the moment running the oxs86) Soon i get an dedicated internal drive for that!

all set up in perfect dual boot with Vista with EasyBCD 1.7.2

Best regards, Jonit

I got dual boot working with EasyBCD 1.7.2!

Jonit

Hi Jimmy

Thanks for your reply, but I need a litte more help than that, as i am an novice in editing plists!

My com.apple.windowsserver.plist contains this code; attached as .rtf

But i dont know what to change? Can you help please!

Wich tool do you mean, the universal installer?

I dont have the option to choose 1440x900 resulution i osx system settings for screen! Does it mean that the resulution isent support by the driver?

regards, Jonit

com.apple.windowsserver.plist.rtf

Well, this plist should be saved, you cannot actualy edit it, you change its values in the system control panel

You should set the resolution your monitor supports with the apropriate refresh rate

in mine I use 1440x900 @ 75 Hz, there are diferent models, check what yours is

Hi Jimmy

Thanks for your reply, but I need a litte more help than that, as i am an novice in editing plists!

My com.apple.windowsserver.plist contains this code; attached as .rtf

But i dont know what to change? Can you help please!

Wich tool do you mean, the universal installer?

I dont have the option to choose 1440x900 resulution i osx system settings for screen! Does it mean that the resulution isent support by the driver?

regards, Jonit

Well, thats the point, I cant select the 1440x900 option in system control panel, it dosent show up there at all! There are a lot of other resulutions to choose from but not my monitors native resolotion (1440x900), Why? Maybe I wasent making my self clear enough?

Jonit

Yes, I understood, so use " SwitchResX " , search in mininova.org, this is used to build custom resolutions!

Good luck!

Well, thats the point, I cant select the 1440x900 option in system control panel, it dosent show up there at all! There are a lot of other resulutions to choose from but not my monitors native resolotion (1440x900), Why? Maybe I wasent making my self clear enough?

Jonit

I have tested iaktos yesterday, just for the record, and it does not support our mobo fully... There are some interesting kexts though in the System/Instalation/Packages/

You´d better try the boot123 method... or stick with kalyway´s solution

Thats funny,I used iAKTOS_5i only and it worked great. I had to install the driver from the link you provided to get the audio to work. I e-mailed Realtek for the updated RTL8187 drivers for wifi card but,I haven't

tested it yet. The only real problem is I'm getting an error code [-70017]intialization error a "valid video device could not be found for playback" when trying to play a DVD movie. I did a search and

it seems to be reported by mini-mac owners but still no answer for it. I may need to get a new wifi

card because I couldn't seem to get the on board card to work in XP. I've checked the HCL and

some of the cards on the list have been giving alot of people problems so if anyone has any suggestions for a card that supports Leopard 10.5.5 and Vista I'd be grateful.

ASUS P5k deluxe WiFi

6600 quadcore

NVidia 8600 GTS

250GB HHD-XP Pro SP2 soon to be Vista

250GB HHD=OSX 10.5.5

Logitech Wave keyboard and wireless mouse

Hi,

Can you post your IO80211Family.kext file? I've been going nuts trying to get it to work but failing so far :P. I get KP during boot because of the IO80211Family.kext file. Would like to try one that is known working.

I am also running 10.5.6

Thanks ahead..

-avaya

Sure, here you are...

IO80211Family.kext.zip

(just in case, if you have any problems, boot with the -x option...)

Hi,

Can you post your IO80211Family.kext file? I've been going nuts trying to get it to work but failing so far ;) . I get KP during boot because of the IO80211Family.kext file. Would like to try one that is known working.

I am also running 10.5.6

Thanks ahead..

-avaya

Great work Jimmy! I have a p5k se too and only got kalyway 10.5.2 to work. On the update i got untill 10.5.4 but i want a newer version.

I'm downing the retail version now. I got some questions about timemachine.

Did you try a full restore yet? Cause i need it when it may crash.

Does the method in this topic below work? or is there a different way to do it?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=88218&hl=

Thanks!

Raw

I use the time machine, just aplied the time machine fix from the software I mentionet before.. i think that methol should work...

Great work Jimmy! I have a p5k se too and only got kalyway 10.5.2 to work. On the update i got untill 10.5.4 but i want a newer version.

I'm downing the retail version now. I got some questions about timemachine.

Did you try a full restore yet? Cause i need it when it may crash.

Does the method in this topic below work? or is there a different way to do it?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=88218&hl=

Thanks!

Raw

Hi Guys. Merry Christmas.

I'm about to try making my first Hack. I have a shuttle case that I want to upgrade. So, I've bought the P5K-VM version of the PK5 board (ie: MicroATX), and a q6600. The rest of my kit fits the bill, so I should be fine. Anyone tried this method on a MIcroATX?

I have a couple of questions. If you can help I'd be grateful. The answers may change how I install osx86 according to my needs.

Ok, here goes... Will I be able to use Time Machine? If I get osx86 working and I decide to reinstall new method (ie: 10.5.7 when it happens) and it all goes {censored} up, will I be able to use time machine to get me back to the previous wiorking version?

And secondly, will boot camp work on the type of install? Could I use Bootcamp to istall vista on my osx86 drive. Think I'd prefer that as my dual boot option.

I have tried to find answers to these questions, but cant find straight answers. You guys seem to know what you're doing with a set up like mine. So any help would be ace.

Thanks.

Hi,

I burned a cd with asus p5k boot 123, but when tried boot it I got this:

ISOLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10 isolinux: image checksum error, sorry

I have two HDs (one sata and one IDE), my recorder is IDE...

There are something I have set in my mobo setup? What can I do to fix it? I tried ASUS P5K Delux and generic boot 123, but the same happens.

Ok, first, what is your mobo? Describe your hardware!

Hi,

There are something I have set in my mobo setup? What can I do to fix it? I tried ASUS P5K Delux and generic boot 123, but the same happens.

First, I got it: (Generic_ISO: http://www.mediafire.com/?1ne1zbl4znv - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...14834&st=0).

Boot it on my PC, it's OK. I typed ESC, and replaced for "MAC OS INSTALL DVD (retail)". The gray screen with Apple's logo appears, but some seconds after occured it:

0703080017xf2.jpg

I don't know what do... The same box appears for all hackintosh (iatkos, kalyway and ideneb). I guess that my mobo setup isn't correct... Can somebody give me the configurations?

My specification:

ASUS P5K-SE mobo

Intel Core2Duo (E8200)

HD SATA Samsung

HD IDE Samsung

LG DVD+RW (IDE)

2x 1GB DDR2 800

Nvidia 7300GS 256MB

Thanks.

DO NOT USE THE GENERIC ISO...

Get the one I have linked.... and only use SATA devices for intalation, keep the IDE for later use...

Then follow the instrictions, you should be fine..

First, I got it: (Generic_ISO: http://www.mediafire.com/?1ne1zbl4znv - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...14834&st=0).

Boot it on my PC, it's OK. I typed ESC, and replaced for "MAC OS INSTALL DVD (retail)". The gray screen with Apple's logo appears, but some seconds after occured it:

0703080017xf2.jpg

I don't know what do... The same box appears for all hackintosh (iatkos, kalyway and ideneb). I guess that my mobo setup isn't correct... Can somebody give me the configurations?

My specification:

ASUS P5K-SE mobo

Intel Core2Duo (E8200)

HD SATA Samsung

HD IDE Samsung

LG DVD+RW (IDE)

2x 1GB DDR2 800

Nvidia 7300GS 256MB

Thanks.

Hi,

I had this too and i saw that you downloaded the first generic retail and this one boots.

My solution is to download the first generic retail, cause this one boots without the checksum error right?

Well then download the latest iso version which Jummy told me, just a few posts above here.

then open the image in windows with ultraiso, get the initrd.img.

You should notice that every file and dir is in uppercase.

copy the INITRD.IMG to the desktop.

Then rename the file to lowercase initrd.img.

Open the first retail which boots with ultraiso, you should notice the lowercase, isn't?

Now copy the initrd.img (lowercase) from the desktop to that image, it should ask overwrite? answer yes!

Then simply save and burn, that image! And it should work out of the box.

If this wont work, I will upload the iso which worked for me for you.

I got your boot123, burned it, but when I tried to boot, I got "ISOLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10 isolinux: image checksum error, sorry"

I'm going to change my devices to SATA (only my DVD+R, because my HD is already SATA). But I'm having troubles with boot123's iso. What should I do?

DO NOT USE THE GENERIC ISO...

Get the one I have linked.... and only use SATA devices for intalation, keep the IDE for later use...

Then follow the instrictions, you should be fine..

Do as DjCoke said... It is reported to work fine...

I got your boot123, burned it, but when I tried to boot, I got "ISOLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10 isolinux: image checksum error, sorry"

I'm going to change my devices to SATA (only my DVD+R, because my HD is already SATA). But I'm having troubles with boot123's iso. What should I do?

Edit: Thanks for the guide. I ran into some issues with the EFI string for some reason not working, but used EFI studio to generate a new string and all is well.

Thanks again, and hopefully this will keep on working.

Btw, is it best to use carbon copy to clone everything or use the install DVD to make backups. Basically, in case I do mess it up, I was wondering if you could just restore the OS with everything already working? I am not sure if it is similar to a linux install where you have a seperate directory for you home folder and can do pretty much anything to the root partition.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.