P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

So i'm still downloading the 10.5.6 combo update trough software update. It was @ 77%, then i asked to install it started downloading again. Stupid SU. :)

Just for the record, this environment is working pretty nice (Leopard booting with the CD-Boot). Not slow in any way, besides graphics. No sluggishness on the mouse, keyboard and mouse booted up just fine.

Let's see after the 10.5.6 update and reboot. Cya!

EDIT

Bios rev: 0603

I'm on Leopard now, and the mouse is jumping around when opening itunes ;) Damn. At least the keyboard and mouse are working ok (looks like they are at least).

EDIT2:

I Noticed kernel_task spikes when i open itunes. Maybe that's somehow related.

How must the BIOS be configured in terms of AHCI / jMicron etc?

Hi all,

will try the Boot132 installation soon.

Just two questions after reading the instructions:

1) Must the Sata Ports configured as AHCI in Bios? (Plain P5K with P5KR Bios - so it would be possible)

2) I do not understand if the Boot132 CD is needed after installation, or OSX starts without this CD inserted.

Well, if you can use AHCI, lucky you... it is faster... after instalation, you need the boot123 in order to get the system to boot, after you have installed the kexts there is no need of the boot cd...

Hi all,

will try the Boot132 installation soon.

Just two questions after reading the instructions:

1) Must the Sata Ports configured as AHCI in Bios? (Plain P5K with P5KR Bios - so it would be possible)

2) I do not understand if the Boot132 CD is needed after installation, or OSX starts without this CD inserted.

Let the usb funcion to automatic in setup, change the usb ports, and see what happens

Where can i get the 10.5.5 kexts?

Edit:

Got them from http://nvinstaller.com/ (9f23 instaler), mouse problem persists.

Ahhhhhhhhh! :) on intensive tasks

I just tested in a friends p5k, havy loaded system.. it does not do that, and it has nothing to do with the nvidia kexts...

But, I still think it is a hardware problem (usb mouse), and still very wierd...

Let me ask again, have you applied the EFI V9? at least the shutdown and reconnect mouse and keyboard problem have stopped?

USB set to auto, changed ports, still a no go.

it happens every once in a while, on disk/cpu intensive tasks.

When i use the 132-boot cd and swap to the retail it gives me the waiting for root error...

I use an ide dvd-drive, is it imperative to use a sata drive?

already set sata to ide, there are no options for ehci and bios is the latest.

Thanx for helping us out Jimmy!

I think that in your case, YES, that msg means that your IDE DVD is not working with the bootloader...

That should be fixed by using a sata dvd... try pioneer! :D

what mobo do you have?

When i use the 132-boot cd and swap to the retail it gives me the waiting for root error...

I use an ide dvd-drive, is it imperative to use a sata drive?

already set sata to ide, there are no options for ehci and bios is the latest.

Thanx for helping us out Jimmy!

the mouse jumps all over the screen cuz of 10.5.6 geforce kexts... Downgrade to 10.5.5 geforce drivers and no lag.

As others have already reported here I'm experiencing glitches at startup (background image shows up corrupted for a second) and have mouse lags while iTunes or QuickTime is opened. I have 8800gt (gigabyte) with original mac pro EFI strings on BadAxe2 Mobo.

Mouse lags resolved by downgrading Quicktime components to version 7.5.0 But still having background image glitches at startup.

It seems that problem occurs only on x86 hacks - no reports from mac pro (8800gt) users.

I wish it would be near of some installations of yours.

My System can start the P5K Boot132 Iso from CD. After that i inserted an original MacOSX DVD (from mid 2008 iMac), and i got really soon a kernel panic.

Same procedure with several Bios updates and starting with -v will show some errors with the Attansic LAN at the end...

Wrong Leo DVD ???

what mobo do you have?

I have the same board as yours the p5k-se.

The retail doesn't load the ide chipset from Marvell??

My System can start the P5K Boot132 Iso from CD. After that i inserted an original MacOSX DVD (from mid 2008 iMac), and i got really soon a kernel panic.

Same procedure with several Bios updates and starting with -v will show some errors with the Attansic LAN at the end...

Wrong Leo DVD ???

You need a retail dvd the restore dvd from the iMac wont work!!

Thanks,

there is a message from the boot132 CD also:

"System config file '/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found.

This message is really hard to see. It disapears immediatly. Just got a picture to see the message.

Do you think it is ok and i won't have probs with another Leo DVD?

The kext for the marvel ide / e-sata controller is in the p5k-se.zip

You may build your own boot123 CD and then it will work during the install process! ;)

I have the same board as yours the p5k-se.

The retail doesn't load the ide chipset from Marvell??

You need a retail dvd the restore dvd from the iMac wont work!!

Try another boot123 for P35 / ICH9 CHIPSET.. probably some kext is causing the trouble you have noticed... I use the 10.5.0 DVD... No problem here and in the systems I have installed.

Try and give us some feedback!

Try this ISO, I have compiled with SlimbuildGUI! I am not sure it will work for you, if it does, it will marvel IDE and E-Sata should Work, press F8, then ESC, then swap the DVDs, and hit ENTER!

Wrong Leo DVD ???

DjCoke is right, the msg is harmless... not an error, just as system msg!

Thanks,

there is a message from the boot132 CD also:

"System config file '/com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found.

This message is really hard to see. It disapears immediatly. Just got a picture to see the message.

Do you think it is ok and i won't have probs with another Leo DVD?

Try this ISO, I have compiled with SlimbuildGUI! I am not sure it will work for you, if it does, it will marvel IDE and E-Sata should Work, press F8, then ESC, then swap the DVDs, and hit ENTER!

I suppose I have to put the initrd.img in the 132-BOOT iso and replace the old initrd.img...

I will try it out right away.

I have an working LEO with leo4all, and your drivers from the zip you posted and the ide is working here. (burning, etc...) Which kext is responsible for the ide?

The AppleVIAATA.kext?

Thanx for your help again!

Jimmy! Perfect this initrd.img works perfectly, now installing the retail :wacko:

Thanx!!

Please post your

MAC OS X DVD version

Your System Informatioin (cpu, etc...)

By the image you have posted, there are 2 errors, one regarding cpu.. (try " cpus=1 " at boot and " -s "

cpus=1 -s -x

The attansic L1 Ethernet kext should be used only with 10.5.6 systems, if not the case, remove it, until you have upgraded

for that

remove the kext " rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AttansicL1Ethernet.kext "

Try now

Mmh,

third OSX Iso third Double Layer DVD burned... same Kernel Panic as usual:

p1020239a94i.jpg

Yes, AppleVIAATA.kext is the IDE/E-SATA controller

I suppose I have to put the initrd.img in the 132-BOOT iso and replace the old initrd.img...

I will try it out right away.

I have an working LEO with leo4all, and your drivers from the zip you posted and the ide is working here. (burning, etc...) Which kext is responsible for the ide?

The AppleVIAATA.kext?

Thanx for your help again!

Jimmy! Perfect this initrd.img works perfectly, now installing the retail ;)

Thanx!!

Sorry Sorry Sorry

i forgot, that i have had a second LAN Card installed (Realtek) :-)

Deinstalled this Card and all Kernel Panics are gone!

Installed everything following exactly your instructions. System is up and running.

But Restart/Shutdown and Sleep are not working :-(

There is no difference between Restart, Shutdown and Sleep -> System shuts down, but will not power off :-(

My System:

Plain P5K (now with P5k Bios)

Intel C2D E6600

6GB RAM

Retail Leopard 10.5.6

Apple Alu Keyboard and Razer Mouse

I have just make my system wake up! I have recompiled from source the EHCISleepEnabler.kext from superhai

Updating tutorial now!

The new version is in the P5K-SE.zip uploaded today (12-20-2008)

Also, you will need to download the Attansic L1 Ethernet Installer, there is a script to make lan work after sleep, you have to open terminal window and type " attansic " (the link is in my signature)

Did you apply efi v9 and dsdt patcher?

Sorry Sorry Sorry

i forgot, that i have had a second LAN Card installed (Realtek) :-)

Deinstalled this Card and all Kernel Panics are gone!

Installed everything following exactly your instructions. System is up and running.

But Restart/Shutdown and Sleep are not working :-(

There is no difference between Restart, Shutdown and Sleep -> System shuts down, but will not power off :-(

My System:

Plain P5K (now with P5k Bios)

Intel C2D E6600

6GB RAM

Retail Leopard 10.5.6

Apple Alu Keyboard and Razer Mouse

Did you apply efi v9 and dsdt patcher?

Hi,

of course i did apply both. I Followed your instructions step by step.

New Install - new luck :D :

- Flashed back to P5KR Bios and enabled AHCI

- New Install with new drivers (thanks), efi9, dsdt etc.

- This time i do NOT run the 10.5.6 Combo Update, but the 10.5.5 Combo Update

- Deleted the Attansic kext, plugged in my Realtek Gigabit Card again and installed the Psystar/Open Source RealtekR1000.kext (no more problems after Sleep)

=

- Shutdown -> works 100%

- Restart -> works 100%

- Sleep -> works nearly 100% (i wish i could wake up via USB Mouse or Keyboard)

Thank you Jimmy!