Anyone run Pro Tools on a Hackintosh?

jcoutu1

107 posts in this topic

I know some notebooks have problems with pcmcia/pci interfaces. In fact is one of the main reasons of ethernet / compatible wifi chipsets not working in notebooks. Maybe you first should adress that. I know some guy posted here a few kext in order to make pcmcia/pci buses to work in problematic notebooks.

He VooD!

:D with or without solutioning smth, your post make me happy! :)

I know that kexts! without those I wouldn't have made my pcmcia card working!

but they just make your pcmcia controller be recognized and ready to work!

I can mount a usb-HDD through the pcmcia-card, but my soundcard doesn't mount!

who knows where here could be the issue!

anyway I have seen with lspci -v that there is a latency(64) on the pcmcia card and this is quite awfull when working with sound cards, I think!

so, some knowledge about IRQ setting otions in OSX would be the most helpfull think I could get at the moment, to realy be able to tell, if it is the IRQs or IRQ-sharing causing my sound bugs! brrrr

@synaesthesia

I thought I wasn't allowed to download that update, but it worked!

as soon I get 10.5.3 working I'll try it and could tell more! but I don't see any reason why this shouldn't, since PT le works on Leo and worked even digides. called it not supported!

the audiotech link doesnt work!

ps: my english seems to be quite bad...sorry!

• 1 month later...

My DIGI002 console & 7.4.2 seem to work pretty well on my hackintosh (10.5.4)

Only problem I have is that ever since the 10.5.3 update my waves plugins pop up with a blank GUI.

Not sure what that is all about..

That happened with the 5.8 version of the plugins and it is still happening with the v6 waves plugins.

• 1 month later...

protools le 7.4.2 on 10.5.4

i had NO problems at all, in very very heavy sessions under 10.5.3,

since the upgrade to 10.5.4 i have graphical glitches,

the problem is that mute and solo status are not updated,,,for example,

alltracks are muted,,,but some appear not to be.

this has no effect on performace or anything other than being a little confusing sometimes,

but i might revert to 10.5.3 since i used protools a lot.

I cant get my protools 7.4 to work

The M-box played the computer audio out, and i didnt have the internal audio working, so i thought the computer was hogging the audio IO. But i fixed the built in audio ALC882M and protools still hangs at

"Creating DAE Objects"

anyone have any ideas.

I am using OSX ideneb 10.5.4 and protools 7.4 with the cs3 update.

Any suggestions would be nice

Yes, Pro Tools works. 7.4.2

I opened the activity monitor in the Applications>Utilities folder and noticed that COREAUDIOIO is red and crashed before i booted protools. So i force quit it and protools loaded.

You guys rock.

I cant bounce to file as an mp3 but everything is fully functional. I can get something else to make mp3s outa my bounced wav SDII or aiff files.

• 1 month later...

dont know of an emulator, but you can get a cheap used mbox on ebay or your local pawn shop, i have seen for as little as 50bucks, then use 7.4.2 UB protools installer and you have the newest or very new (version 8 is available soon or now)

an emulator for connected hardware would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

It used to work fine.

I am using Pro Tools 7.4.2 and 10.5.4 and it seems to work ok, but if i start editing regions, the system will start to produce white noise (hiss) on playback with nothing audible but noise.

I have to quit protools then launch it again, but the duration seems to shorten til it happens again unless i reboot the computer.

I dont know if this is something new, i had pulled many regions in before without this happening. And i notice now, my USB connected Realtek WLan keeps dropping out. And i have to restart it. And if i am recording in protools, restarting the realtek causes a usb interrupt in protools and drops the recording.

I am curious if they are related.

I just did a clean format reinstall of 10.5.4 and the problem still exists.

• 2 weeks later...
It used to work fine.

I am using Pro Tools 7.4.2 and 10.5.4 and it seems to work ok, but if i start editing regions, the system will start to produce white noise (hiss) on playback with nothing audible but noise.

I have to quit protools then launch it again, but the duration seems to shorten til it happens again unless i reboot the computer.

I dont know if this is something new, i had pulled many regions in before without this happening. And i notice now, my USB connected Realtek WLan keeps dropping out. And i have to restart it. And if i am recording in protools, restarting the realtek causes a usb interrupt in protools and drops the recording.

I am curious if they are related.

I just did a clean format reinstall of 10.5.4 and the problem still exists.

What is your hardware? Firstly I mean motheboard.

What is your Pro Tools Version and digidesign hardware?

• 1 month later...
Sorry. Havent been on here in a while.

To answer your question - no I never did solve the problem. I kinda gave up in the end. I just dont use my iLok plugs on the OS X partition. Funny thing is, they work fine on the XP partition with ProTools. Very weird.

Are you having a similar problem?

I have a similar problem, too.

I noticed it recently with Pro Tools LE 8, but I am not sure for Pro Tools LE 7.4.2.

It asks to purchase license for some plug-ins, and for other plug-ins, it is OK once I authorize with iLok runtime but every time Pro Tools restarted.

I experienced this problem with Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, but it was fine with GA-EP45-UD3P.

What is your hardware? Firstly I mean motheboard.

What is your Pro Tools Version and digidesign hardware?

I am using asus p5w dh deluxe, mbox

i think i figured the software problem out.

it was a beta version of protools 7.4.2

i havent tried the newest download of 7.4.2 yet, maybe soon.

i have just hooked my hardware back to my PC and i get no glitch noises.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Woj,

As I understand the cheapest ProTools is the M-Powered one.

ProTools M-Powered doesn't need any dongle. Just many plug ins and Digidesign options like DV Toolkit 2.0 or Music Production Toolkit.

Are you sure, cause I set up a friend's hackintosh, and found the M-Powered version of PT (7.3), but it needs the iLok dongle to run. My LE, however, runs fine (no dongle, save for certain plugins).

As for my own performance, LE 7.4 ran fine; I just installed 8 and it seemed to be working fine, but when I tried to do it the other day, it had problems, though I'm pretty sure it's something I did/didn't do that did it (if that makes sense :P)

Interestingly, on the setup I'm talking about (SSE2 only), the Voodoo does quite nicely, as I had PT8 working (when it was) better than it did on the windows partition on the same hardware. Most likely due to the wonderful SSE3 emulation :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
I'm Running Pro Tools M-Powered 8 with a ProjectMix I/O , Delta 1010LT and Axiom 61 keyboard on my intel i7 setup check SIG. everything is working Great

Hi Thehawks

Reading your post i wondered if you were running onder x86 Leopard or the real Thing, now...i have a Intel MBoard dg31pr with a Delta 66, but i haven't been able to make it work on OSX x86 10.5.6 ( IDENEB ), as the 1010lt is from thesame family than mine i love to know what was the driver that you used...

I hope you can guide me

greattings and thanks a lot

Gonzalo Cordovez

http://www.myspace.com/cordovezgangband

Hi Thehawks

Reading your post i wondered if you were running onder x86 Leopard or the real Thing, now...i have a Intel MBoard dg31pr with a Delta 66, but i haven't been able to make it work on OSX x86 10.5.6 ( IDENEB ), as the 1010lt is from thesame family than mine i love to know what was the driver that you used...

I hope you can guide me

greattings and thanks a lot

Gonzalo Cordovez

http://www.myspace.com/cordovezgangband

http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/