Anyone run Pro Tools on a Hackintosh?

jcoutu1

107 posts in this topic

So, it is confirmed that running PCI based Pro Tools HD works great on Hacks ? Even 8.0.3 ?

Is it even possible to mix PCI and PCIe cards !?!?

Is there any solution to get a longer TDM flexcable?

Mine consists of HD Core PCI card and HD Accel PCI card, with Pro Tools HD 8.0.4 running on Mac OS X 10.6.4. I have not had any trouble so far.

Actually, I used to consider adding HD Accel PCIe card, but PCIe Accel card is more expensive but less powerful than PCI Accel card, so I decided to add PCI Accel card. I think it is possible to mix PCI and PCIe cards but have not tried it yet.

I am really curious about a long TDM II FlexCable, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, on first boot of Pro Tool LE 8.0.4 (released yesterday) on my newly hackintoshed system running snow leo 10.6.2, I got tons of messages saying that Pro Tools wasn't installed correctly and that there were registry errors. This was after having brought it over from my Macbook's time machine backup via Migration Assistant.

It proceeded to start anyway, only after not loading the authorizations for any of my IK Multimedia plug-ins.

So I dive further and try just playing one of my already recorded projects. 3 seconds in and I get the elusive -6087 error. Pro Tools doesn't crash out, but I can't go more than 3 seconds without getting this error.

I just now uninstalled and reinstalled Pro Tools to 8.0. I tried starting it up knowing it's not compatible with snow leo once booted, but just to see if I still get the same start up errors; I do.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :(

10.6.2 Snow Leopard x64 (Vanilla)

Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 (also tested 8.0)

DIGI 003 Rack+

EVGA X58 SLI

Intel i7-920

6 GB GSkill 1600

EVGA GTX 260

D-Link DWA-556

003 is plugged into the red firewire port on the mobo

I have been using PT8 for over a year. It works awesome, had some gui keyboard and mouse lag in my first build of 10.5.6 but was livable with cause i dont need menus. 15+ yrs PTs experience.

But when i upgrade to 10.5.7 and changed my graphics card to a Nvidia graphics card, i get ugly clicks glitches and chatter. I use Apples xcode Quartz debugger to disable Quartz Extreme (QE) and glitches no more, (I found using The OSX86 tool to disable QL graphics didnt fix this alone)

i have to delete all the digi pref files to get it to play a session if i open it and forget to disable QE first. QE reinitiates at boot, from being disabled.

I think the PCI card systems should all work (Maybe a little kext tweaking for older cards) but apple didnt support old digi PCI cards in newer G4 PPC and G5 Intel based macs, because they didnt put pci slots in those machines, most OSX86 towers have loads of PCI slots. But digi specifies 001 is not tested, which is why its not supported.

I may get an old Digi001 PCI card just to try this theory.

If anyone has an old digi PCI card to donate for testing, i have the breakout box.

• 4 weeks later...

I´m having some problems with my ProTools HD2 PCI rig

8.0.3, 10.6.3, EP45-UD3LR.

Protools starts up and I can open session e.t.c.

BUT..some weird problems

Audio sounds a bit distorted like a bad clock.

RTAS plugs doesn´t work but TDM do

Audio playback starts to loop after approx 3 sec but timeline

is still moving on the audio region.

Anyone have some ideas what to look for?

I´m having some problems with my ProTools HD2 PCI rig

8.0.3, 10.6.3, EP45-UD3LR.

Protools starts up and I can open session e.t.c.

BUT..some weird problems

Audio sounds a bit distorted like a bad clock.

RTAS plugs doesn´t work but TDM do

Audio playback starts to loop after approx 3 sec but timeline

is still moving on the audio region.

Anyone have some ideas what to look for?

Maybe you should use the correct or supported OS like 10.5.8 up to 10.6.2.

-maybe even try PT 7.4.2

Maybe you should use the correct or supported OS like 10.5.8 up to 10.6.2.

-maybe even try PT 7.4.2

Tried to update to 10.6.4 and PT 8.0.4 before wiping the HD and doing a clean 10.6.2 install,

but of course no change.

Then I read somewhere that corsair is not supported with EP45

and i messed around with the DRAM timing settings in Bios

put them to 5-5-5-18 instead of Auto.

And voila... Now PT plays nicely and RTAS works

will do some more testing and maybe change the memory to something

that´s in Gigabyte EP45 supported memory list

But so far everything works in 10.6.4 and 8.0.4.

It's good that you've got PT working in 10.6.4, that's a given. The software is extremely touchy, but even early adopters have had it working.

I've got to get PT up and running on my MacBook Pro again, but I've got to get my hardware installed and running first >.<

There was a lot of debate on whether or not to list PT 8.0.4 as 10.6.4 compatible because of certain bugs in drivers but after about month it was.

• 2 weeks later...
It's good that you've got PT working in 10.6.4, that's a given. The software is extremely touchy, but even early adopters have had it working.

I've got to get PT up and running on my MacBook Pro again, but I've got to get my hardware installed and running first >.<

There was a lot of debate on whether or not to list PT 8.0.4 as 10.6.4 compatible because of certain bugs in drivers but after about month it was.

Oh well still have the same problem 9 out of 10 starts.

Starting to think it´s PCI ID related.

I´m using a Geforce 8800GT on the PCIe on my EP45-UD3LR

Could it be a PCI ID thing and what are the solutions for that??

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds great! I have HD3 with 3 old PCI cards (1 Core and 2 Accel) currently installed in a G5, is there any X58 board that you can recommend for those cards?

Looks like GA-EX58-UD4 is the only X58 with 3 PCI slots:

1071.jpg

But there's a PCI Express X16 stuck in between those PCI's, and the length of internal protools cables is quite short...

Hi XLR,

Yes, only the UD4 in the EX58 series has 3 PCI slots.

But it will be very hard to get one. It is a bit old, and no one looks to have one.

Do a search.

A friend that was searching that specific model for the very same reason than you ended to purchase a GA-EP45-UD3R. The only problem he had was some conflict with IQRs. He could solve the conflict woking with DSDTSE app.

Hi XLR,

Yes, only the UD4 in the EX58 series has 3 PCI slots.

But it will be very hard to get one. It is a bit old, and no one looks to have one.

Do a search.

A friend that was searching that specific model for the very same reason than you ended to purchase a GA-EP45-UD3R. The only problem he had was some conflict with IQRs. He could solve the conflict woking with DSDTSE app.

Reading a lot about this...

What about the Intel BOXDH55HC LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard?

It looks like it has 3 PCI slots all next to each other?

I'm thinking about this board and the Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930 as the heart of what will become my first Pro Tools Hackintosh?

Anyone have any thoughts if this is the right combo or not?

Just diving into this so all comments pro and con are welcome.

BillieJo

Sounds great! I have HD3 with 3 old PCI cards (1 Core and 2 Accel) currently installed in a G5, is there any X58 board that you can recommend for those cards?

Looks like GA-EX58-UD4 is the only X58 with 3 PCI slots:

1071.jpg

But there's a PCI Express X16 stuck in between those PCI's, and the length of internal protools cables is quite short...

That heatsink may be a problem.

IMHO gigabyte with cartri's bios is the only way to go.

check out the Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G and buy a few in case.

I have a quite stable system with PCI core and process cards. I got into HaX because I wanted to save $7k

and my old G5 was a dog. I had some kernal panics, but I think they were Network related. My system is in my signature.

My Protools HD2 8 isn´t working fully right.

First if I select more than 2 DSP´s from the Playback engine in Setup menu

i get communications problems with Audio interface e.t.c.

I´m having my Core card on PCI 2 and accel on PCI 1 couldn´t get it to work without glitches

and loops the other way around.

I read here on the forum people have been using DSDTSE for PCI issues

but it´s not explained in depth how to do it.

Could anyone give some guides for doing this or is it something making my system buggy?

Hi zxspectrum. I am trying to set up a ep45T-UD3lr with M-Audio Profire lightbridge but its not recognizing it. Do you have any sugestions?

I had no problem with my ep45-UD3R with PCI process cards.

Did you have any tricks to get your UD3LR working?

---Resolved-----

It recognizes it, but the sync to an HD ststem seems to be about 300 samples or 8 ms behind

• 2 weeks later...

I am now running the team XVX Pro Tools HD crack of 8.0.3 on my hackintosh with a ga-x58-udr3 mobo. I can't get the xvx emulator software to correctly use my digi002, so for the time being I am running digitally out of the onboard SPDIF into an external Lavry DA-10.

Anyone else running the XVX crack?

I am now running the team XVX Pro Tools HD crack of 8.0.3 on my hackintosh with a ga-x58-udr3 mobo. I can't get the xvx emulator software to correctly use my digi002, so for the time being I am running digitally out of the onboard SPDIF into an external Lavry DA-10.

Anyone else running the XVX crack?

Do you even need the XVX emulator software? I thought it was only required if you are using non-digidesign hardware...

• 4 weeks later...
Reading a lot about this...

What about the Intel BOXDH55HC LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard?

It looks like it has 3 PCI slots all next to each other?

I'm thinking about this board and the Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930 as the heart of what will become my first Pro Tools Hackintosh?

Anyone have any thoughts if this is the right combo or not?

Just diving into this so all comments pro and con are welcome.

BillieJo

According to Intel's product guide, the i7-930 is not supported by that motherboard.

DH55HC Supported Processors

The supported i7's are from 860 to 870k.

The DH55HC looks like a great MB for HD3. Please post your results if you build it, and I'll do the same.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone installed and ran Pro Tools LE on a Hackintosh? How is it running? How many tracks can you run? Have there been any problems?

Thanks.

I just installed xvx protools hd 78 on my hakintosh dg31pr q9550 quad core 2.8

and seems tobe working fine....it DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY DIGIDESIGN SOUND CARD.. WORKS EVEN ON ONBOARD SOUND CARD