Anyone run Pro Tools on a Hackintosh?

jcoutu1

107 posts in this topic

that driver only works to get the delta 66 running in osx, it does not enable the control panel or get it compatible with pro tools as the delta pci card series is not currently supported in intel based macs, only the firewire series. This is really killing me, as I bought that card and can only use it in windows.

that driver only works to get the delta 66 running in osx, it does not enable the control panel or get it compatible with pro tools as the delta pci card series is not currently supported in intel based macs, only the firewire series. This is really killing me, as I bought that card and can only use it in windows.

Unless m audio make an official intel driver, there's probably little hope.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Folks!!!!

I´ve working Protools 8 and mbox mini with ideneb 10.5.8 because i have a lot of problems with xp

Everything is ok here

The windows wdm driver don ´t work fine but coreaudio work flawless.

i wait this is helpful for you

Jordi

• 2 months later...

I have a EP45T-UD3LR QuadCore 6600 running at 2.4. I am running Retail OS X 10.6.1. Pro Tools 8.0.3pr. (Mbox 2 was not seen in the audio until I installed the PreRelease)

I had to uninstall, and reinstall without CoreAudio. Mbox 2 drivers work perfectly. All plugins, plus my VST from Fender's Amplitude 1.0 as a plugin.

Works Great now.

My HP G70 Laptop with iATKOS v.7 runs 8.0 right out of the box.

Sweet application. Love the keyboards, guitar amps, and the built in drum machines. TR707, TR808, TR909, and more. Plus Torq LE (DJ app) which I haven't checked out.

Black Friday was good to me. (Mbox 2, Nova Mic, M-audio 410 Powered Speakers, and PT8 for $425.00 Retail)

• 3 months later...

I finally had it with the stability of running Pro Tools on a PC. Kept my hardware and switched my OS to Snow Leopard - couldn't be happier. System has been perfectly stable 2 weeks running. Install went very smoothly using the empire boot disc. Here's my build:

I7 2.66 Processor

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard

Galaxy Nvidia 9500GT (Running 2 displays, and it was a piece of cake...plug and play)

6GB Corsair Dominator Memory

WD Blue 320GB System Drive

Velociraptor 10,000 RPM Audio Drive

Snow Leopard 10.6.2

While Pro Tools 7.4 LE isn't officially supported by Snow Leopard, I was able to run it, but it was a little buggy. DO NOT install the 7.4.2 update if you plan on running 7.4. This update will crash your computer, and you will have to go into safe mode to uninstall the update. I'm now running PT 8.0.3, and it runs like a dream.

Initial Benchmark using geek bench, was a hair over 9100. Not bad, considering an out of the box Entry level Mac Pro ($2500+Tax) is right around 8300. I'll keep everyone posted if theres a change in stability of my OS\PT.

Hi all

I´ve spend many hours the last two years searching for topics related to the Pro Tools on a hack.

So i feel like sharing ;)

Here is what i´ve learned in short terms:

I tried many mobos and versions efi,iatkos, etc. but returned to the Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR every time.

I have successfully run Mbox (old one usb) Digi 03 with PT LE 6.7 /7.3 / 7.4 and HD 2 (PCI- not pcie) with PT 8 and had no problems.

I have run Adobe Master collection on Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR (small problem with onboard sound - fixed with usb soundcard mbox)

Final Cut Pro 7 same problem with sound... (fixed again using mbox as source for sound)

I own several mac´s but find more comfort in building crossovers simply of the reason that apple don´t allow you their great OS on other machines than their own.

making music and film or photography demands special solutions and putting my Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR in a server case protected in an alu flightcase just makes me feel better in field work ...

The next build is a Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L with a Intel Core i7 860 / 2.8 GHz Processor pumped with 16 gb ddr3 ram

this one will be running a HD3(PCI) PT 8 within the next week or two (apple seem to forget that HD3 needs 3 pci slots )

Now this is not an 8-core but running HD3 PT8 distributes most processing to the HD cards ;O) and the HD PCI cards can be found cheap on ebay and other places, and they do a great job....great job.

one thing to keep in mind is that you should choose a good Firewire 400/800 pci or pcie card if running digi 03, 02 or other FW soundcard.

this was my biggest mistake using the cheapest FW card i could find and using the same one in 3 builds before i found out that the now trashed card was the bottleneck of problems.

Has anyone run HD3/PCI on a hack?

I've toyed with the idea of getting a PCI HD2 system... but I keep being afraid that when PT 8.1 or 9 comes out that they're going to stop working... :/
They may stop working even if you purchase a Mac Pro from Apple, because Digidesign is well known in future compatibility surprises.

$!$^^& YEAH!!!

Big thanks to this great community!

I got my system rock solid and with MTC over the network. My HaX is Master dunning DP 6.03 in DAE mode and a G5 2.7 Dual is the slave with DP. My setups Ethernet is supposed to be faulty, but I realized it has more to do with the OS version on the client's side.

-I know this is about PT but in the process I fried my iLok :P

DAE is 7.4.2cs4

The lag is due to screen sharing and sync has no audible phasing issues.

post-494606-1268325555_thumb.jpg

12 Hours of synced loop tested so far and still rock solid.

I spoke 2 soon. After 16 hours something strange happened with Bonjour and on reboot I got the Boot0 done message and no chameleon. Has anyone had these issues? It may because that drive had 2 OSX partitions and a FAT partition I was planning on installing XP.

For some odd reason, I can't start a new topic on this forum, anyway.

For anyone wondering if Protools HD PCI cards work on the PCI bus, it does. We are using the

Digidesign CoreAudio 8.0.3 drivers to run Logic 9 with it, and everything works fine. The hackintosh was and still is rock solid, and till now we haven't noticed any problems.

Running OSX 10.6.2 (vanilla), EFI 10.5. Very few kexts and nothing fancy.

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (Bios version F11), i7-920, Kingston Value-Ram 1066 3GB (tripple), POV 9400GT.

The problem with the EX58-UD5 are the passive coolers. One sits right at the end of the PCI slots, which is problematic for the last pins of the HD cards (they are 64-bit universal PCI cards, not PCI-X, and yes they are compatible with PCI-X and PCI 32 bit (3,3 and 5v)).

The synchronisation is flawless and no hickups or anything in the audio signal.

We're going to try to get the second card in (have to drill a hole in the passive cooling again to make it fit) and see how TDM or DAE works, because Digidesign CoreAudio has the amazing 8 input/ouputs. Which isn't very usefull if you are not able to use the other 40 in/outputs.

So for anyone who would like to do the same, the board should have a clear way 2,5 cm from the PCI slot's end to make it fit. Perhaps it's easier to try the VirtuaVia expansion slot (PCIe to PCI). I'm still eager to try this, I've had contact via mail and they will refund the product if it does not work.

Going to add some pictures later, if at all I'm able to start a new topic in here .. Hmmm :)

• 2 weeks later...

Protools HD 8.0.3 running smooth with both Core and Accel cards. No problems in recognizing the iLok, no problems with sound what-so-ever. Using 2x HD192 and 1x 96 interface (BigBen external synchronized).

One problem we didn't really think of was the PCI slot range from each other. The TDM flex cable which connects the HD cards are pretty short, therefor they should be right next to each other to fit smoothly. This doesn't make it a pretty sight seeing the HD cards screwless bending a bit to each other when the TDM flex cable is connected. But hey, it works. Ordered the VirtuaVia PCIe => PCI 4x Expansion ATX Kit yesterday (it has a 24v ATX power connector, which gives enough power for the PCI's (the cards run on 5v, not 3.3v, although they run on 66mhz, 32 bit, they still need 5v for the DSP card to function) going to try that out as soon as it arrives.

- edit

Second next thing we're going to expand is the RME HDSP 9632/52 to work with the HD192/96 Interfaces over ADAT (if the VirtuaVia expansion works, else the RayDAT (PCIe) is the second best thing to take). This way we are not bound on the 8 i/o Digidesign's Core Audio driver limitation. I'm still thinking of hacking these Audio drivers (I'm a programmer), though I've managed to partially reverse-engineer some settings classes. I still have little knowledge of which programming is used for the Core Audio driver or any OSX driver for that matter (I'm a Linux geek :(), but I'll figure it out.

-

For anyone searching the hell out of google to see if anyone ever succeeded in running protools through the VirtuaVia expansion, I'll update this thread cause I'm still not able to post new threads (whatever that means).

Gigabyte boards is the way to go though. For audio/video production, you shouldn't rely on things not working, like the onboard LAN/Audio. Buy an Apple Airport (PCIe 1x) card for lan and onboard audio is a bugger anyway for any Audio/Video system.

Cheers.

Second next thing we're going to expand is the RME HDSP 9632/52 to work with the HD192/96 Interfaces over ADAT (if the VirtuaVia expansion works, else the RayDAT (PCIe) is the second best thing to take). This way we are not bound on the 8 i/o Digidesign's Core Audio driver limitation. I'm still thinking of hacking these Audio drivers (I'm a programmer), though I've managed to partially reverse-engineer some settings classes. I still have little knowledge of which programming is used for the Core Audio driver or any OSX driver for that matter (I'm a Linux geek :D ), but I'll figure it out.

This is interesting. The problem with 9632 PCI is that it doesn't works in SL 64 bit, and even if you boot with -32 kernel flag it still says that it doesn't likes something about kernel dependencies in the boot log. I've asked about this on RME forum, and it seems like they aren't interested in updating the drivers for those cards.

Here's a link to the thread: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7273

I'm not a programmer, but do you think it's possible to port the drivers to 64bit without having the source code?

-- Hackingtosh (PAC)

Just stressed the hackingtosh/DPS's with 128 voices. Total of 64 stereo tracks, some 40 or so TDM plugins, from D-Verbe Cathedral to a 16th delay. Some 40 or so RTAS plugins, just random reverbs (cathedrals, convert hall, etc) and delays (4th, 8th, 16th). At some point I had to reduce 4 tracks (8 mono's) because the drive I/O could not handle the load, did balance at the end on a separate drive but was still a bit lagging (guess they were 5400 rpm disks, haven't checked yet :D). But beside the disk performance, it's rock solid. Doesn't crack, doesn't hang, and no side effects at all. Has been running quite a while and rock remains solid.

-- :XLR

Without the 'original' source-code, you never can be sure if the reversed one is compatible with the original. Most programs created to reverse code (which includes little implementation on coding to complete processing) are tested by comparing 'original' => 'reversed'. So you can't be a 100% sure that it will work, but more like 99% (ok maybe more like 60%), so searching for the problem (if one appears) can be ridiculous... :)

Second, not all source-code used to install library/system files are parsed (meaning encoded to binary). Most source-codes are parsed (non-binary) to a lower level of programming (the higher the level of programming, the more readable it is for the programmer, the more likely you can change settings out of the box without reversing anything).

Third and last, none of the programs like Digital Performer, Protools HD 8 (LE, etc) or Logic 9 are 64 bit. They are '64-bit compatible', but the core is not. 64-bit compatible means in 64 bit it has the ability to give certain functionality to the kernel to clock back to the 32 bit architecture. OSX and the Linux distro's a like have kernel's based on a certain principle that on a 64-bit capable processor, the kernel must be able to clock 32-bit in 64-bit modes and back. So in 64-bit environment it must be possible to run 32-bit applications. Very simply explained can this be accomplished by splitting the streams of a 64-bit stream in two 32-bit streams. It could of course decreases performance of the total-system by doing this.

So why do you want to run OSX in 64-bit if none of the applications run 64-bit code? The only applications till now which are fully 64-bit compatible (and don't allow 32-bit plugins/applications what-so-ever) are video editing systems. Here scalar point precision (vector, floats/doubles, etc) are very important calculating certain effects, frames, whatever, though for audio systems integers are still used to calculate streams of audio, perhaps not for the DSD converters, but every 16/24/32 bit converters do (hence the 16,24,32 bit, all fits in 32-bit architecture and the max. capacity of an integer, John Watkinson once wrote a very nice article about this here).

Could you post part of the boot log stating the error reports of the HDSP? Which revision version do you have? I suppose you are using the latest drivers? (1.7.3 or what is the latest?)

(is that Jim Carrey in your avatar? :D)

• 1 month later...
could you be a bit more specific with _the usb controller on nvidia chipset_ thing

would like to know if you have the same issue I have.

after installing nvinject my mbox output crackels!

if you want to see my posts

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95372

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,191.0.html

http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=368

oh man!! i'd be so glad if this could be solved somehow!

I was having the exact same issue until I disabled Quartz GL from the OSX86 tools utility. Good luck!

Im running PT LE 8.0.1cs1 on IPC 10.5.6 with original Mbox

Sorry. Havent been on here in a while.

To answer your question - no I never did solve the problem. I kinda gave up in the end. I just dont use my iLok plugs on the OS X partition. Funny thing is, they work fine on the XP partition with ProTools. Very weird.

Are you having a similar problem?

Hi, this problem is related to the network card. Install a pci network card with realtek chipset. Works like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

this forum is a bit old, but I am running Protools 8 (digi002) on a core2duo PC with IATKOS - MACOSX 10.5.7, runs excellent . A friend of mine runs PT8 in a G5 and we share somes sesions, the hackintosh run better cause the processor is faster.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know about compatibility with older digi hardware? I still like using the digi 001 which I believe only goes up to the 5 or 6th version of PT.

http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/osx/001/

Digi 001 with Pro Tools LE 6.4 for Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)

Pro Tools LE 6.4 for Mac OS X 10.3 is the last version that supports Digi 001 hardware. Pro Tools LE 6.4 is not compatible with Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger).

• 2 weeks later...