 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Thanks for your reply, Coda.

Maybe you can check my new thread and maybe even tell that I would be better with the original Leopard installation?

it's here:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95982

Thanks again!

I would do a retail install. The only thing is - if you don't have another intel mac/hac then you need another hard disk to install kaly or whatever on first. Once you have a working kaly (even in safe mode, it doesnt matter about the gfx drivers etc) you can do the retail DVD install method onto the right hard disk.

if you look at the pre-patch file for the efi you will notice near the top a line something like -a /VOLUME/macintosh volume is the key word i dont know about your systems but i corrected the word volume to volumes as is t was on my system then efi went great and the Terminal install went fine if you read the very first post in this thread that is indeed the best and easiest way to do it i did not get any of the problems i see here i hope i saved some people some trouble coz that was my problem in the beginning but i had only been in this forum 3 or 4 days and found this guide and had leopard running retail a cpl hrs later

I would do a retail install. The only thing is - if you don't have another intel mac/hac then you need another hard disk to install kaly or whatever on first. Once you have a working kaly (even in safe mode, it doesnt matter about the gfx drivers etc) you can do the retail DVD install method onto the right hard disk.

so can the same procedure be done with an imac, the disk hooked via USB and then install the disk on a pc (perhaps taking it out of the case, providing the disk is a SATA...)?

so can the same procedure be done with an imac, the disk hooked via USB and then install the disk on a pc (perhaps taking it out of the case, providing the disk is a SATA...)?

Yes. Just make sure the USB disk is 'owners enabled' before you start the install.

Yes

So if I will buy a new cheap Hard Disk drive and put it in the same PC where the HD I would like to install the Retail Leopard DVD on is, it will work?

Or I'm gonna need a whole other PC with Leopard installed to do that?

I've read through this thread, and made one attempt. When I try to boot into my prepared disk, I get the OSX kernel panic each time (see the gray apple screen with spinning progress wheel, then dark gray power button box telling me I must restart).

Admittedly, my attempt seems different than others, so it's probably my setup:

Dell Latitude D830 laptop

Using an 8 gig USB flash drive, rather than regular hard drive.

I found another thread talking about the D830, and pulled some integrated Intel video kext files that it talked about.

Anyone have any additional insight to getting it running from an external USB drive on a D830?

Anyone have a pointer as to what to troubleshoot for the kernel panic I'm seeing.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I don't have another machine to mess with right now, so if the D830 is a deal-breaker, I'll have to wait until I have a different machine to play with.

• 2 weeks later...
Is anybody using 8800 or 8600 card with this board P35 DS4. Which GFX string or drivers they are using. I am upgrading my Graphic card any suggestions ? thanks

See the last few parts of my Install Thread.. some people are flashing 8800's with Apple BIOS :D

I also have strings for 8800 if you need... PM me

I'll be helpful as you always were with me :P

See the last few parts of my Install Thread.. some people are flashing 8800's with Apple BIOS ;)

I also have strings for 8800 if you need... PM me

I'll be helpful as you always were with me :P

Thanks , I saw you sign with ATI 3870 some people say its better than 8800 ?, I like the brilliant Idea of Apple Bios, After flashing still have to use GFX String , How is your Sleep with ATI 3870

Las day I change my power supply.Then I remount everything, and i Launched the supdate.

Everything is going well apart sleep..why?

Even if I use different kernel (netkas family..) my sleep is gone??Anyone point me in the right direction??

Las day I change my power supply.Then I remount everything, and i Launched the supdate.

Everything is going well apart sleep..why?

Even if I use different kernel (netkas family..) my sleep is gone??Anyone point me in the right direction??

This happened to me once , I took out the motherboard battery for 3-4 mins .After everthing worked fine for me